Thread: Return?

Network Hub

Return?

Hey all, I have not played in many many months(more than two years perhaps?)

I've been considering coming back, is heart of thorns worth it? (The budget is incredibly tight) and if I were to not get it what would actually be locked to me? I've had a look at the feature lists and it's not exactly clear...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Howdy, and welcome back to the forum.

There's always stuff going on in-game, although to play the newest season of the Living Story you'll need HoT. If you're on the fence, I'd recommend waiting a few months (as an expansion is due fairly shortly); the popular opinion is each new expansion will bundle the previous one with it - meaning if you buy the newest (when announced), you'll get HoT too.

If you'd have asked a few months ago, I would've definitely said to buy HoT and start playing the Living Story, but because I assume you've not been logging in, you'll have missed out on the free Living Story episodes that have been unlocked over late 2016 and 2017.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Network Hub
    This is exactly the info I needed. I'll wait and see what happens with the expansion. Maybe see you all in a few months.

There are still plenty of reasons to jump back in the game, HoT or not! If it's been more than 2 years then maybe you missed the Living World S2 maps? You don't need access to S2 to play them (only for the story) and they're fun. Fractals got a big re-work too, but sadly dungeons are the same.

Jump back in!

I agree, hop in and have another look around. Perhaps start a new character and see what has been changed.
    I'd wager that the expansion is at least another 6 months away, possibly not even this year, who knows at this point. It's also possible that they'll do one last HoT sale push before the expansion (I think it's been as low as 10€/$/).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Yes, they certainly did that with the base game before bundling it with the expansion.

My money's on early 2018 for expac 2.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Network Hub
    Early 2018 is far enough away I would consider getting this expansion.

I'll stick it on download, it should be done in a few days (slow internet and usage limits apply during "prime" hours)

Cool. Turns out WvW has been getting a lot of love recently (more from the community than the developers), and you don't even need HoT to participate in that. Could be an option if you still don't wish to fork out.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    Cool. Turns out WvW has been getting a lot of love recently (more from the community than the developers)
    It has? Good to hear. That was my favorite game mode but after several years I just burned out. I miss it of course, but so long without change...

Network Hub
    I'll come back. Try WvW and if I get into it I have no problem with purchasing. Also the money situation should have eased now hooray!

There are plenty of builds out there for WvW that don't need the skills from HoT so you should be able to play just fine while deciding!
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Network Hub
    I've now realised I'd be on the wrong server to do WvW with you guys and my home server barely participates at all. I tried last night and I managed to find three others.

In order to try it I would have to move but I think it is cheaper just to set up a new account now and get heart of thorns?

That's... not the worst idea. There is a lot of us in WvW at the moment, but even in slow periods there's at least four or five RPS regulars participating in WvW on behalf of the great Gunnar's.

It's just up to you whether you want to drop the progress you made on your original account.
    Guild Wars 2:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyspud View Post
    I've now realised I'd be on the wrong server to do WvW with you guys and my home server barely participates at all. I tried last night and I managed to find three others.
    Which server are you on?

In order to try it I would have to move but I think it is cheaper just to set up a new account now and get heart of thorns?
    Well, depending on what you have on your old account, it might be. If you have tons of three-four years old characters, losing the birthday gifts for them could be a bit annoying, for example (at that age you get some nice dye packs, for one thing). If you have tons of characters all with legendaries, it might also be a bit of a waste...
    On the other hand, if you only have one character that you don't care about, you could delete it and then be able to transfer server for free (it's free for accounts with no active characters). That way you'd keep whatever you have in your item and materials banks, I think.

I'm not sure what it costs to move to Gunnar's right now. I think I heard 1000 gems, but I don't know if that's true (apparently the cost can be 0-1800 gems depending on server population. I believe we're a medium population, so 1000 gems is probably right).

Edit: ouch. It seems we're set to 'very high' population. That's utter bullshit and must be something Anet has done to fiddle with the linkings because we are most certainly not very high population. But that means it probably costs 1800 gems.
    Last edited by Similar; 23-06-2017 at 09:26 AM.