Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar

The Necromancer Thread - Blood, Wells and Daggers oh my...

Rules of the road:
    If you're not using reaper then always try to be holding staff when you DS because so far... it is still best to have that however there seems to be differences that are still being discussed. Reaper scythe is a hammer so atm ignores what you were carrying in MH. All wells and marks are placeable so be aware of double clicking will drop where you're at. However don’t forget marks from staff will not trigger on downed players - don't waste em unless as traps for people who will try come res. Shouts however do affect down players so use away especially if you can get the res'er too.

Lich form has great DPS but limitations of dodging etc unless you know you will have rampaging warrior or chance of being moa’d - don't underestimate the minion build either in terms of mobbing you and/or blocking your shots. Reaper elite is great for point defences and stronghold defence and lord attack.
    Dagger 4, Staff 4 and Lich 4 are all transfer condition skills - use intelligently if applicable for your build.

Minion Master is a very strong thing in pve due to the changes to their dmg taking ability being reduced unless targeted - you can take low(er) level fractal and dungeons - haven't tried in HoT yet. You can also run it in pvp but consider a change to zerk/marauder build as it can easily surprise people in that you can do them lots of dmg while your minions soak up theirs and remove conditions from you too...

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Nec..._Minion_Master

PVP update - the ideal meta is the "Return of the CorruptionReaper" - essentially you're a condition collector and re-distributor, corrupter of boons PLUS condition creation - chilling, bleeding and poison. That is this - http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Rea...rion_Frostfire. There are others but nothing as stable/useful. MM is still a thing but only shines when combined with druid or someone that is also causing active trouble at the same point.

Power/DS/Well/Zerk Necro - call it what you will is still a thing too -http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Nec...rd_Power_Necro is the main basis. Power well is killer in courtyard (unranked). Support your melee'ists from range and cause horrendous amounts of group damage and problems galore.

Strength Reaperis the other meta build in pvp - haven't tested.
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 04-01-2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: updated again
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, hardcore spectre of ghastly damage
    Monksgaard, hunter of dragons with bow and trap
    Monkscourge, provider of bonus conditions you didn't know you needed
    Monksfenrisson, a burning scandinavian who can support his friends at party time
    Monksderwydd, an irish chap who can wield staffs, bows and pets

Stolen for more content, mwah hahahahahaha
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksfenrisson, a burning scandinavian who can support his friends at party time

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    I must say power necro in pvp is quite badass, I do regret the condition necro but the survavibility was nowhere near as good. The metabuild one is good enough and I didn't feel the need to tweak it in anyway.
    Tweetiti, known in GW2 also as (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel, Liltweetie, Tweet Manstalker andTweetfanny Adams
    Subscribe to our @RPS_GW2 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetiti View Post
    I must say power necro in pvp is quite badass, I do regret the condition necro but the survavibility was nowhere near as good. The metabuild one is good enough and I didn't feel the need to tweak it in anyway.
    That is what I linked tweets... Things can always be played with given circumstances... *ahem*

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    That is what I linked tweets... Things can always be played with given circumstances... *ahem*
    Hey I agreed with you be happy
    Tweetiti, known in GW2 also as (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel, Liltweetie, Tweet Manstalker andTweetfanny Adams
    Subscribe to our @RPS_GW2 Twitter

So I had 2 pieces of ascended hanging aroond that I converted into zerk, turns out I had used a drop of zerk ascended before so that was 3 pieces. Made the legs last night too. Swapped my horn and staff to valk and also an axe (I have 4 spare ascended axes now...) to valk too as it seems backline wvw necro uses axe as a mid range, when not staffing.

We'll see how it goes. So that is now 4 zerk armour pieces, entire zerk trinket set and weapons being valk... crit is still in the 45ish range as default. Also realised how utterly crap the hoelborn breather is... why on why have they not allowed us to sort that aspect at all? Deliberate drop of 5 ar for water fractal seems just plain rude! Oh yeah, I made an ascended trident too. Necro fractalling here we go!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    So I had 2 pieces of ascended hanging aroond that I converted into zerk, turns out I had used a drop of zerk ascended before so that was 3 pieces.
    I actually ended up using my last upgrade extractor on my engineer's ascended rifle. It had two superior sigils (one of them Force) and two infusions. I don't know if it made financial sense, but it seemed worth it (I also don't have that many laurels, so not having to buy infusions again kind of mattered).

I forgot that we can change stats now, so I made a new ascended rifle, which I guess wasn't necessary, but then, I don't mind keeping the first ascended item I ever got (in my second week of playing GW2, no less) for sentimental reasons.

Extractors are worth essentially 40 gold + so only case of using it would be on a 2h or similar where you had 2 sigils worth that much AND infusions... so essentially I don't think they are ever worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    No, probably not when buying them. I got three from a BL chest, so that made the decision easier (although I now know I really wasted the first two).

Pretty much the only things they're worth using for are:
    • Sigils of Generosity (100g)
    • Agony Infusions +10 and above (60g and above)
    • Fine Infusions with +5 AR and +5 <stat> (150g and above)
    Steam: Taverius
    GW2: Katekk | Astrid Lissani | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Ylva Blightstep | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

Very interested to hear from other necro's as to what they are up to... Running two very different pve and pvp builds atm and will update the OP later.

So i made a necro today. I used that cele signet build (altho i took Blood Magic instead of Curses) . So... why everyone is bitching that necro is weak? Eles and guards dropped like flies, i was almost unkillable as soon as i started to rotate in and out of DS properly, and SO. MUCH. AOE. DMG.
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I assume you were in PvP, the QQing is for PvE where the damage is really low.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: Hawksbane

Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    really low.
    Lowest.

Also, the QQ in PvP is about the power build with Lich.
    GW2: Katekk | Astrid Lissani | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Ylva Blightstep | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

PvP of course, why would i play it in pve? XD
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

updated op

Redacted.

Better numbers are in - currently greatsword is a dps loss to dagger/horn even vs targets below 50% health, and reaper shroud is not a dps increase over normal shroud.
    Last edited by Taverius; 10-08-2015 at 04:32 PM.

How about utility, blind and frezzez can help, no? And how much dps are you loosing by being a reaper?
    Smoldur Ripjaw Revenant
    Gar Grond Engineer
    Foxmal Mesmer
    Typhus Necro

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Your edited post was a huge change over the original - what went wrong with those initial calculations?

Here's hoping that dagger/horn, the most boring weapon combination in the game, will not still be the PvE meta for Necros come HoT... :/
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Reaper skill have high base damage but low coefficients.

GS is roughly 5% below D/H on targets below 50% health. On targets above 50% health, its barely better than Axe.

Reaper Shroud is within a few % of normal shroud.