Banned

Rise of the Tomb Raider is amazing.

I've tried to get into Uncharted and I tried to get into Tomb Raider 2013, but they've never appealed to me because it's all shooting waves of enemies constantly. However what I love about Rise of the Tomb Raider is the exploration and the actual Tombs, which it has much more of. The combat is really good, I love the animations on the pistol especially, but I'm bored of Single Player shooters and I find it to be the part I hate the most. Luckily in this game you can sneak past a lot of encounters like The Last of Us, only without the borked A.I of that game. The graphics though are amazing, the animations on Lara are so good and I love exploring Tombs just to see what amazing visuals they'll pull off next.

I love the game so far (only about half way) it's just a shame they decided to release it on the same day as Fallout 4. It's the better game, Fallout 4 was shit, but it just got drowned out from all the Fallout 4 hype.

I could do without the more open world though and all the crafting, I just want a dumb linear game with Tombs like the old Tomb Raider games... but still you can ignore all that and follow the waypoint.

She doesn't need you, she's coming for you all, run bustards run
    https://en.www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bustard

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    F*** Yeah! Wooooo!!
    Resident graphics snob.

And remember: Bad practices often become a trend, if not dealt with promptly.

So say I want to pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider. Will I have to have played the 2013 one?

Even if I wind up thinking the story is bad, it will bother me knowing that the game is assuming I know something that I don't. I mean, I like being thrown into a world and sorting things out but it has to be that sort of game.

Banned
    The story doesn't have any connection.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    The story doesn't have any connection.
    That's not true - one person makes a return. But it doesn't matter story-wise, because it doesn't build on each other.
    Resident graphics snob.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can't agree more. The game is amazing. I've been playing it intermittenly over the past month and finally decided to have a proper session over the weekend and I got completely lost in the game.

It's amazing how much effort was put into the side mission tombs given that they are entirely optional. It also may well be the best looking game currently available. There were a number of times where I just stood there, taking in the gorgous scenery. Can't reccomend it enough.

My only gripes are that it follows the same path of a lot of open world games and has a tonne of filler crap and also the puzzles/tombs are painfully simple.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    My only gripes are that it follows the same path of a lot of open world games and has a tonne of filler crap and also the puzzles/tombs are painfully simple.
    I wouldn't call it open world. It has a couple of connected, medium-size hubs (like the previous game). But it's not one giant world like Fallout 3, for example, and you advance it a linear fashion through the main events. But I'm not complaining. Being open world is not a quality in itself. I take a well made linear game over a poorly made open world any day of the week.

I don't know what you mean with "filler crap". It's entirely optional, so I don't see why it bothers you. You don't really have to collect all the relics and stuff. You just get less XP, which you can compensate by killing more animals, for example. It's much worse in AssCreed games.

The tombs are nice. I wouldn't have liked it, if I had to think too much about them, but I played them all.
    Resident graphics snob.

I actually really liked the reboot up until the "boss fight". It was so anticlimactic and awful. I've never been so disappointed by the end of anything in my life. Well, except for maybe a box of fine, imported German chocolates.

I'm still on the fence about this game all because of that. I want to try it, because I loved the gameplay in the reboot and this seems similar. But I'd be rather pissed if I paid for another game with such a lackluster ending.
    Steam: Viral Frog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Viral Frog View Post
    I actually really liked the reboot up until the "boss fight". It was so anticlimactic and awful. I've never been so disappointed by the end of anything in my life.
    You apparently haven't played Shadow Of Mordor yet.
    Resident graphics snob.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    You apparently haven't played Shadow Of Mordor yet.
    I can vouch for this.

Only game ever where the mid game boss fight, should have been the final boss instead. THAT was a fun duel.

Come to think of it...the whole game should really have just stopped there...