Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think about old gam(bl)ers?

Hi everyone, my name is Cora and I am 60 years old.
    Yes, and I like to play games. What do you think about it? Should old people play games or that is your way to relax, for your generation?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I, think, you, are, a, toaster.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Matt_W's Avatar
    You gotta know when to hold 'em...know when to fold 'em.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Gus_Smedstad's Avatar
    First time I've seen a spammer use an avatar. What do you think the endgame is for this one? Inviting people to an online poker page? Any actual human would realize this forum isn't about gambling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    First time I've seen a spammer use an avatar. What do you think the endgame is for this one? Inviting people to an online poker page? Any actual human would realize this forum isn't about gambling.
    I don't know, I've seen some pretty stupid humans over the years. Mistaking one kind of gaming for another is not by any means the most idiotic thing I've seen some of our species do.

(note: I am assuming everyone here is human. If you happen to not in fact be a human, and are instead an AI, a hermit crab or a methane breathing hairy ostrich, I profusely apologise).
    Also known as ATrifleMiffed

Having played with people of basically any age, I doubt anyone would argue games are something specific to one generation.

Indeed there's a recurring argument about the average age of the gamer population increasing over the years. I think it's passed 40 already?
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Whatever we do to the Web, we do to ourselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    First time I've seen a spammer use an avatar. What do you think the endgame is for this one?
    Same as most, getting someone to hand over payment details.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Long War novices Welcome, now with 100% more laser guns!

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I, think, you, are, a, toaster.
    I believe the polite term these days is "Cylon American."

Well what now seems a long time ago, I did put forward the suggestion that what we generally called spambots were actual people armed with tools, and when the mod queue was deployed, we actually saw that that was the case, which explained why CAPTCHA wasn't a particularly effective way to keep spam at bay.

So a spammer with an avatar (and a Skype link too) wouldn't be news.

Still, I approved this thread because it poses a legit question.
    The Onward March of Bundles - Bundles, bundles, bundles! click on this nao! Humble Monthly September 2017 Edition instantly unlocks Killing Floor 2, and other marvelous games later, you can betcha! Like what I'm doing? new subscriber? just want me shut up? use this link, please!, some vBucks are thrown at me, no cost or inconvenience is thrown at you! Thankees! Steam - HowLongToBeat - weirdfish#2792 (HotS)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Having played with people of basically any age, I doubt anyone would argue games are something specific to one generation.

Indeed there's a recurring argument about the average age of the gamer population increasing over the years. I think it's passed 40 already?
    Is that the PC gamer population? Seems high if you include all those kids and their consoles.

According to this old Kotaku piece, the average age was 37 in 2012 across all platforms the way I understand it. Then the relevant entertainment association changed their methods and included mobile phones and that seemingly made it drop considerably. Statista offers the following picture for the US:

I would assume, since the fertility rate ought to have gone down across the Western world over the decades, and there's a whole lot of senior citizens, that potentially kids could be outweighed, at least in theory.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICTHEFAIL View Post
    I don't know, I've seen some pretty stupid humans over the years. Mistaking one kind of gaming for another is not by any means the most idiotic thing I've seen some of our species do.

(note: I am assuming everyone here is human. If you happen to not in fact be a human, and are instead an AI, a hermit crab or a methane breathing hairy ostrich, I profusely apologise).
    You assume wrong. I am clearly a ham sandwhich.

Quote Originally Posted by Insignus View Post
    I am clearly a ham sandwhich.
    And I'm hungry.

Also, I'm 52. Which puts me in the oldest bar in the Kotaku piece.

I've assumed for a while that this is near the oldest group for mass-popularity of computer games, since home computers were barely a thing when I was in high school ('79-82). I knew one (1) kid who had an Apple II because his parents were rich. In today's dollars, that's like buying your kid a $5k toy. Otherwise computers were something most of us only had access to at school.

Underlying this is the assumption that adults are less prone to pick up hobbies. So if you were, say, 30 in 1977 when the Apple II came out, you probably only ended up using computers for work, not recreation.

A part of me wants to believe there is an actual CoraWilliams in Phoenix, AZ, sitting behind her computer, wondering what all the fuss about toasters and ham sandwiches is about. A bit like the "Granny on the internet"-meme.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. G3rt

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Obscure Node
    I think it's great that older people are into gaming. A lot of the problems related to games (negative media coverage, the 'basement dweller' stigma etc.) are fading away now (partially) because it's becoming a mainstream way for older people to entertain themselves - so the faster we get more gamers in their sixties and seventies the better IMO! Sadly there wouldn't have been the sort of gamer stereotypes of the noughts if everybody had kept a more open mind, but hindsight is 20-20 and all that.

It's hard for me to think 60 as being "old and clueless on the internet," since I'm 52 and my wife is 58.

On the other hand, my mother in law does fit the meme. But she's 84, not 60. Granted, she was old and clueless on the internet at 64, but that's more a function of when she was born than her calendar age. There will come a time when the millenials will be in their 90's, and being old on the internet will no longer mean clueless about computers or games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus icupnimpn2's Avatar
    It's hard for me to think 60 as being "old and clueless on the internet," since I'm 52 and my wife is 58.

On the other hand, my mother in law does fit the meme. But she's 84, not 60. Granted, she was old and clueless on the internet at 64, but that's more a function of when she was born than her calendar age. There will come a time when the millenials will be in their 90's, and being old on the internet will no longer mean clueless about computers or games.
    My grandfather ran a dry cleaning business until he was 80 or so. Had a computer early on for keeping the books. Never understood video or computer games or why I played them.

He used to gamble on river boats for fun. After he died at age 89, I visited the apartment he'd shared with his brother. You know what I found?

A game of Windows Solitaire was still running.

His brother told me that my grandfather would play it all the time.

That's a computer game, to me. To him? I think it was playing cards.

So, it is quite possible that when the millenials are 90 they will be out of touch with whatever passes for computers or games to the younger generations at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    So, it is quite possible that when the millenials are 90 they will be out of touch with whatever passes for computers or games to the younger generations at that time.
    That crossed my mind, but currently hard for me to envision. Writing about the subject made me think if I'd soon be old and clueless as far as people in their 20's are concerned, but so far I haven't seen the rise of a new form of entertainment for me to be clueless about.

I don't think fidget spinners count. Pewdiepie? I don't understand the appeal of specific YouTubers, but I do watch YouTube on occasion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm 48 and while my contemporaries aren't clueless on the internet, very few of them are gamers. At least the ones I know.