Thread: Steering Wheel

Network Hub

Steering Wheel

Hi all, I'm looking to get a Steering Wheel to pair up with Dirt Rally and Project Cars.

I was looking at the G29 and hoping it would drop to around 100 in the sales, but it appears to be stuck at 150.

Before jumping in, I thought it would be a good idea to get your opinions to see if there was a better option for sub-150

Cheers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I have the G920 (same as G29, don't understand why it's more expensive) and I am very very happy with it. It is my first wheel, got it earlier this year. Dirt Rally, PCars and all the other driving games of late play wonderfully with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    It used to be that the DFGT was the cheapest good wheel there was, but the G29 has superceded it by combining the G27 and DFGT into a single wheel (dual motor feedback, good pedals and larger wheel rim from the G27 combined with having all the buttons on the wheel face). While there are cheaper wheels, the saving isn't worth the difference in quality, but if you do decide to shop around bear in mind that force feedback isn't a standard feature, many cheaper wheels use a simple spring to provide dumb centering force.

And the G920 is more expensive because of Microsoft's Xbox One peripheral licensing fee, it's physically identical but with slightly different programming.
    :emofdr:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    And the G920 is more expensive because of Microsoft's Xbox One peripheral licensing fee, it's physically identical but with slightly different programming.
    Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification! The problem was (when I bought mine) that the PS4 one did not show in the amazon page if it was PC compatible.

Network Hub
    I see the G29 has gear change lights and some extra buttons over the G920 ... both the same price at Currys (150) - so will probably go with G29

g29 is the one i have (and only one i tried) and i can only tell good things about it. Sturdy, feedback's great, size is perfect, pedals have a nice feel too. Logitech software works good, no complaints there either

Obscure Node
    Is something like a wheel needed for a game like ATS or ETS? I was thinking of picking up a trucking game, but I don't have a wheel and wondered how well something like controller would work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    Fraggle: haven't tried with a controller, but I'm thinking it should be doable without too many problems at all and should work decently enough.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Network Hub
    ETS works great with a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by FraggleWho View Post
    Is something like a wheel needed for a game like ATS or ETS? I was thinking of picking up a trucking game, but I don't have a wheel and wondered how well something like controller would work.
    No, you can definitely play without a wheel, and indeed there are complete addicts who will never ever consider buying a wheel for it, but it's a completely different experience.

While I am probably in a small minority, to me ETS2 with a wheel feels a little like actual driving, it can be relaxing, whereas KBM is unrealistic, gamey, finicky.

Playing with a controller such as a pad is even worse IMO because there are not nearly enough buttons (I own a 360's so YMMV) and looking for a compromise between precision and range for the analog controls can be tedious and frustrating.

Ofc a lot depends on what your preferences and playing style are: to give you an idea, I make extensive use of the look function and the shifter, and do all of my parking manually.

For me, the rhythm of the game works because trips are unchallenging and relaxing for the most part (except mountainous areas which are more fun), while navigating cities and dealing with deliveries provide a welcome change of pace.

I can still drive on KBM if I don't feel like setting up the wheel, like for freebies, however that feels like a chore to me, not very interesting, because to make up for the limitations of the control scheme, I must rely on driving aids.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You wouldn't download a mouse" (Stellar Duck)

Activated Node
    Did those buying the g29 but the shifter as well? if so does it plug directly into the wheel like the pedals so it becomes one usb device or is it a separate usb that plugs into your PC?

If it's anything like the old models, and it definitely looks that way, the shifter plugs into the wheel's main body, similarly to the pedals, with a connector that, off the top of my mind, could be a DB-9.
    The Onward March of Bundles - filling your backlog since 1911. For a list of active deals, and more, click here.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Yeah, the shifter is pretty much the same as the G27's but without the buttons, it plugs in directly to the wheel with a DB-9 (aka d-type, d-sub or just serial) connector. You can get a standalone shifter cable for the G25/27 shifter so I wouldn't be surprised if there is one for the G29's, but if you are interested in buying a standalone shifter it's not a particularly good one.

Honestly, I don't like that I have to use the G27's shifter to get more than eight buttons (some of which don't work in older games) and you're definitely slower with the shifter than without when racing, but for the Truck Sims the shifter is indispensable for sure and if you're the type to play racing sims to "enjoy" "driving" a "car" you'll never get to drive or even sit in in real life you'll probably want it for authenticity. But if you want to race people of a similar skill level to yourself you'll definitely lose time if they're using the paddles and you're not.

Activated Node
    Cheers, i still have my trusty G25 but if it ever fails i would probably go with the 29, i only ask about usb inputs because a good few modern racing games dont allow multiple usb inputs. Obviously the hardcore simulators do though but sometimes you want to drive something a little bit different.

Network Hub
    Got the deal including the G29 & Shifter for 150 ... going to sell the shifter on ebay when it arrives. I just don't think i'll use it - prefer flappy paddles in any case.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by riesje View Post
    ETS works great with a controller.
    Frankly ETS is fine with the keyboard for most things - it's not a racing game ;0.

Network Hub
    Arrived today - only played Project Cars and Dirt Rally, but WOW ... what a difference it makes over a joypad ...

Glad I got it :)

Network Hub
    Is there a cheaper wheel + shifter + pedals that I could buy ? I'd love to try one (never played a game on a wheel) on ATS or ETS (these are the only sims I play. The rest would be need for speeds and the crews but I doubt they support wheel).

It would be quite gadgety and I would probably barely use it so I don't want to spend 400 dollars on it (I'm in Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    Is there a cheaper wheel + shifter + pedals that I could buy ? I'd love to try one (never played a game on a wheel) on ATS or ETS (these are the only sims I play. The rest would be need for speeds and the crews but I doubt they support wheel).

It would be quite gadgety and I would probably barely use it so I don't want to spend 400 dollars on it (I'm in Canada)
    See if you can get a used G25 or G27, they're basically your only options to get the wheel, pedals and a shifter for less than a G29. Otherwise you'd either need the Thrustmaster shifter which is already like half the price of the G29 or you'd need to source a Logitech shifter with a Leo Bodnar standalone adaptor which isn't cheap. Also if you were to buy a wheel set that came without a shifter it would only have two pedals, so you'd need an additional clutch pedal from somewhere.

The situation with force-feedback wheels is a bit sad, Logitech used to be basically the only manufacturer making affordable wheels that were still worth buying: the less expensive models were discontinued, one by one, ultimately leaving only the G25 lineage alive, which anyway has always been the most affordable 'full' set-up on the market, and yet often regarded too expensive as a first wheel.

This document appears to have not been updated in a long while (it only covers up to the G27), however it still contains some interesting information:

http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Wheels
    Last edited by alms; 09-01-2017 at 10:45 PM.