Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Resident EVII or do we really need every horror game to be a Pac-Man clone?

Trailer:

Ok, I admit that's kinda clickbaity title as Capcom stated that there will be weapons etc. in final game, but I'm just so fucking bored with this trend of horror games turned into amorphous blob that makes them less distinguishable than modern military FPP shooters (that's quite an achievment!).

Why can't we get a horror game with a decent story, likeable characters and gameplay that isn't about running and hiding? I would offer a firstborn (not mine though, he he he) to Devil to get something great like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories again. Yes, SH:SM is a Pac-Man clone too, but the main appeal of the game is story where the life of Harry Mason is crumbling apart and become a fever dream, like even more twisted version of Lynch's Mullholand Drive or Inland Empire. That's how you make a real horror.

The latest attempt to do character driven horror (dunno if successful, didn't played it yet) was probably Until Dawn for PS4.
    There's also Telltale's Walking Dead, but when the living people are far greatest danger than supernatural element it's hard to call it a horror, it's more like This War of Mine. Especially that in later issues of comics it really looks more like war.

/rant

I'll get you a red fish.
    I'm not crazy for both hide n seeks nor for re's even though older RE's are more of a step in the right direction because of obfuscation of information, apparently I can't be sure about a lot of the mental model players make of the game and some vagueness goes into headshots/ herbs meds/ enemy hp/ spawns/ whatever for tension.
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Fans of Resident Evil franchise,what do you actually want from new RE game? Describe it,dooo et!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm a fan and I want the beauty of RE4-6 gameplay (I think these are brilliant marriage of shooting and melee action) but without any Matrix sequences and bombastic COD setpieces, just regular ordinary guys and gals fighting zombies and mutated animals (give me giant spiders, worms, moths, frogs, zombie dogs and whatever you can think of, for me that was the best part of original REs) with limited weapons (basic handguns, shotguns etc.) and ammunition. Make zombies bite you, not just punch.
    Also do not make enemies drop ammo and cash, do not make them use guns, do not put mysterious shopkeepers, do not put endless weapons upgrades.
    Oh and DO PUT a FOV slider. RE6 camera is like watching something through a small window.

So, basically RE 1-3/Outbreak with a control scheme from RE4-6.

What's a Pac-man clone in the horror genre?
    Are you talking about "you can't defend yourself" games?

Because then i'm on the other side.
    "Horror" games in which the only horror is that you shoot spooky things instead of russians, nazis or aliens doesn't do anything to get my heart pumping. Amnesia and Outlast on the other side can make me panic.

An exception can maybe be made for F.E.A.R which managed to mix the action and horror elements.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Oh and DO PUT a FOV slider. RE6 camera is like watching something through a small window.
    Well, here's your indication for a bad PC port ;)

You are playing the wrong horror games, you want Kitty Horrorshow's Anatomy, The Static Speaks My Name, Starseed Pilgrim, Penumbra/Insomnia/SOMA, The Void and Pathologic.

True horror.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What's a Pac-man clone in the horror genre?
    Are you talking about "you can't defend yourself" games?

Because then i'm on the other side.
    "Horror" games in which the only horror is that you shoot spooky things instead of russians, nazis or aliens doesn't do anything to get my heart pumping. Amnesia and Outlast on the other side can make me panic.
    Yes, that's it - horror games where your character is defenseless and must always run. I don't like this approach. Sure, maybe you're facing an eldritch abomination, but couldn't you just try to smack it in the face?
    Amnesia is especially silly, because your character can throw a huge barrels like they were a football, yet he can't use them to smack some zombies-like creatures to at least slow them down or something. For me this isn't scary, it's just funny.

Forbidden Siren did a good thing with beign overwhelmed by enemies even when you had an options to defend yourself.
    You can fight back using kitchen knives, planks, sometimes maybe some revolver with a few bullets, but the thing is - enemies are tougher than you and you can't kill them, only stop for a few minutes. They will always rise after a while. So while running and hiding is the best option, it isn't the only option. That's a huge difference.

Pacman is characterised by defencelessness? We need to talk about power pills.

You probably want Dark Souls or Dead Space, you have tension but not horror, but I think you misunderstand what horror is if you can always face everything down it stops being horror fast .
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 17-08-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Pacman is characterised by defencelessness? We need to talk about power pills.

You probably want Dark Souls or Dead Space, you have tension but not horror, but I think you misunderstand what horror is if you can always face everything down it stops being horror fast .
    Just my couple of cents, I think tension matters a lot in a resident evil game in that there are very clear fears at play in succumbing to a zombie pandemic, like turning into a ghost of your former self and having no way to escape, a bit like The Descent in that the virus is not supposed to be justice for self important main characters (nvm what's the actual case with res), just like the cave, tension should mantain this momentum instead of offering gorn like in every resident evil clone dead space included, said tension should also emerge out of simple mechanics and information managed for negative emotions (junji ito mangas are options) in that what you are trying to avoid finds a way to you, maybe you've chosen to take down an enemy or a character, suit up for it, then you get to fight the other or both or whatever. RE's are very straightforward kill/no kill with gazillions of vague rules to generate said tension but it's not elegant stuff, what if you shoot a target until you incapacitate it before even thinking of killing it and waste ammo, it comes with a whole bag of crapsack situations for proper survival and disturbing stuff, in that it resonates with your emotions regarding the character frame you know about in relation to the target (do I leave the bastard in agony for a slow zombie death or do I end his suffering or whatever else like stealing stuff) and the characters you left behind may come back in a way or another later for a showdown, like a mirror to the player or whatever, all stuff Until Dawn aims for* and even dead space, why yes I like The Descent and Idk why you stick to regular horror games when you can have gamey tension and realizations.

*even worse UD has this psychological side asking you to stick around the babbling to find out a reason to act, a plot twist or something mental, when you are busy getting out of this shit, like a process, when The Descent feels very very little like that and it's all action and scares, predictability not harming anything.
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2016 at 01:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nah, I do know difference between tension and horror. Beign defenseless is also only creating a tension that will be resolved after dying or successfuly evading a monster. For example the horror of Silent Hill doesn't come from tough enemies and small amount of ammo, it's from the plot and beign in the middle of a nightmare that will not go away even if you bring a minigun with you.

Of course Resident Evil games never were really horrific, only tense (Nemesis theme from RE3 is still pumping the adrenaline when I hear it :d), but nowhere near as boring as Amnesia & Clones.

Thing is you want negative emotions and killing is a release from the danger, which is why re games tend for vagueness to mantain said tension but then you get to kill things anyway, I think a bit of successes don't harm the feeling when every other enemy is only incapacitated and comes back in a while as you run through corridors, you can't rely on some stuff to progress, it's something which happens in some re games too until you get a headshot, ofc in the grand scheme of things finishing the game should leave you with something heavy instead of cheery and Idk of any RE game doing that. Dead space has a literal "BLERGH" and hide n seeks are really lazy, make something like the original deus ex already (in terms of approaches and obfuscation binding you to make mistakes I mean)
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Games with respawning enemies you agonise over whether to engage with like System Shock 2 or STALKER generate an awkwardness that finite linear games don't, if you stand still and the world waits? That's not oppressive. Sure the gamer can tab out pause or shut down the game for a break but true horror stays with you, I guess that's where we cross over from artisans to artists.

When I think of RE I think about the ones with the mansion so yeah not too far from system shock 2, ss2 is more on the gross side of horror than uncertainty if that makes sense.
    There is something about ss2 the few moments it takes away control from you (I only remember the many talking) though, or the "flesh walls" anything can pop out from
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-08-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Games with respawning enemies you agonise over whether to engage with like System Shock 2 or STALKER generate an awkwardness that finite linear games don't, if you stand still and the world waits? That's not oppressive. Sure the gamer can tab out pause or shut down the game for a break but true horror stays with you, I guess that's where we cross over from artisans to artists.
    In Resident Evil, antagonizing the monsters tends to make them come back angry (Crimsonheads).