Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node palindrome's Avatar

Mordheim: City of the Damned

With the recent update which introduced the single player campaign this seems like as good a time as any to post this here.

Games Workshop produced a 28mm skirmish game in the late 90's set in a ruined Empire city (16th century Germany with a dash of Steampunk) that had been struck by a magic radioactive comet (essentially) which saw small groups of 10 or so fighters kill each other to find glowing green rocks to sell for cash to buy more/replace the tragically maimed fighters and invest in 'better' equipment. It was(and indeed is) a really good table top game. Given that GW will now grant a license for anything, especially if they have already killed off the original game,it is being brought to the PC and it is currently in early access on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

Now you can send small groups of digital people/skaven/mutants to collect glowing green rocks and kill each other in turn based combat. Gaining skills, permanent injuries and better gear in the process. It can also be played PvP although that's apparently quite broken at the moment.

Its been in early access for a while now, early builds were late game and frankly not that great, I haven't bothered to play it since around Christmas. Update 8 was released on Friday though which brings the single player game to the masses and its actually pretty good. Given that this is its first outing its understandable that its far from balanced (its actually possible to effectively lose a match before any of your men activate due to unfortunate starting positions) but I am impressed with how it has turned out. It is good enough that I have spent most of the weekend playing it despite the fact that I know that my warbands will inevitably be gutted by the whims of mission design and dubious AI bonuses. This has happened to 4 separate warband's so far. The next patch should make things a lot better though as the Devs are aware of the current issues.

I know that there is a thread about this in the Blood Bowl subforum but frankly that's a bit niche for such a potentially impressive game.
    Last edited by palindrome; 26-09-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Always loved the concept for the boardgame, so I'm very interested in how this turns out. Lack of funds and enthusiasm for playing anything before it's finished means I will be waiting till release in any case.

Glad to hear that it's starting to shape up! The persistence of characters, injuries, gear etc is a big part of the appeal so the implementation of a proper campaign must make a huge difference.

That all sounds pretty good, but why is PvP broken right now? How long has it been broken?
    ~

Connection problems apparently but I haven't tried myself. It was working in earlier patches.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus karaquazian's Avatar
    The empire in warhammer is modelled on the holy Roman empire, its not just modern Germany, but the northern half of Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, bits of Croatia and Serbia, Switzerland, what was Czechoslovakia, bits of Romania and Poland

Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    The empire in warhammer is modelled on the holy Roman empire, its not just modern Germany, but the northern half of Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, bits of Croatia and Serbia, Switzerland, what was Czechoslovakia, bits of Romania and Poland
    'Germany' is much, much quicker to write.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The premise of the board game sounds pretty much like Bloodbowl with the pesky sport bit removed.

Its not a boardgame :) Mordheim campaigns and Bloodbowl campaigns are quite similar though in that your best player inevitably dies and your pack of mooks are useless 99% of the time yet do something outstanding for the remaining 1%.

I was going to post a pic of my Nuln Warband but the "link is too large"....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Its not a boardgame :) Mordheim campaigns and Bloodbowl campaigns are quite similar though in that your best player inevitably dies and your pack of mooks are useless 99% of the time yet do something outstanding for the remaining 1%.

I was going to post a pic of my Nuln Warband but the "link is too large"....
    Board game, tabletop game, pretty much same difference in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Board game, tabletop game, pretty much same difference in my mind.
    Significant differences in reality though. Phone Vs PC games would be a good analogy.

Watched a recent let's play and this game looks greatly improved since the campaign update !

Might those who are playing Mordheim give us a State Of The Game update? I'm loving Vermintide, and remain very curious about this project alongside it, for a different take on a very firmly linked universe.

It's not a faithful rendition of the board game. E.g. cult get marauders instead of beastmen, stats are more % based.
    It's played from an over shoulder cam perspective, which does actually make ambushing and nothing ambushed more tense
    It looks and sounds suitably grimdark
    The ui is annoying. E.g. you can't deploy from the overview map.
    Had 1 horrible bug where the last enemy (their commander) fled, but fled off the map, so after like 30 turns of hunting the bugger I had to concede. Needs a turn limit as hide and seek could be nasty way to force concede in pvp.
    There's a ton of single player content. All 4 sides have separate campaigns when inbetween doing normal scenarios to fulfill your wyrdstone quota you also get tailored missions with special npcs and rewards
    The management side is as fun as always, they've also added achievements that can be used to unlock small warrant perks (e.g. stuff appears in the store more, patrons give you couple more days for shipments)

It's still immense fun and the thing I'm playing the most at the moment.

Thank you, Karaquazian =)

Well, it's out now. Quite surprised there has been no mention of it on most sites, though they do seem to have come out of EA with little fanfare.

Still a bit rough around the edges (the load times are atrocious and half of the voice overs are, uh, not ideal), but it's a lot of fun.
    The deployment interface and the tactical map really need to be reworked though (trying to deploy your units on certain maps is laborious to say the least), and they've done strange stuff like separate Buffs and Debuffs into separate panels (which makes sense when you think about it briefly, then start playing and realize it's really really annoying), but overall I am enjoying the full release quite a bit. It's a lot more readable at a glance than it used to be, and they've tweaked injuries so you're a bit less likely to sack horribly mangled people immediately.
    Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but singleplayer has been rather entertaining so far.

The deployment needs work. How hard would it be for a & d to work on the overhead map.

I'd purchase this immediately if I only had a friend to play with who I knew I could rely upon to learn it alongside me and play it with respect and a sense of fun. My few gamer friends have all lost their computers to age or accident and lack the cash to get back into the game, leaving me feeling quite... Stranded.

Well, at least this game will still be waiting when I've the opportunity to play, I imagine.

Owners, please update this thread if anything exciting happens in future updates to the game, or if you get a good group going =)

It works well as single player game

Activated Node
    I'm rather interested in this. I played Necromunda back in the day (best game GW ever made if you ask me) but somehow Mordheim slipped past me. Does this have the rpg aspect of Necromunda where your gang levels up over time and gains special abilities/unique equipment?

Advancement is in terms of stats, abilities (both active and passive) and there also seems to be some hidden benefits like hit chance. You Warband also levels up which gives various benefits most notably size and access to more powerful heroes.

Virtually ever 'unit' can be armed and equipped with a wide range of stuff which range in quality and can also be enchanted.

In spirit it is actually very faithful to the original, a mature warband will have a suffered quite a few deaths and there will be a few guys with missing limbs, 1 eye, brain damage etc. The object of the game is to gather Wyrdstone as you will get regular requests for x weight of stones, fail 3 of these and its game over. Wyrdstone is also the primary source of income and it also powers a quite rudimentary faction system.

There are some definite rough edges though; deployment is horrible, its still possible to lose guys before you have even had a chance to act, and the story missions could use a balance pass. The AI seems to be less effective than it was earlier in EA, it has a tendency to get stuck in terrain and it seems to be a lot less likely to outflank and generally be annoying.
    Last edited by palindrome; 25-11-2015 at 08:06 AM.