Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Need Matrix/Slitherine Suggestions please

Hey,

Just got a rather nice surprise in my email. Turns out I've had an account with Matrix/Slitherine for 7 years so they've given me a 25% off coupon to use on either store over the next 30 days. Jolly nice of them!

Problem is, I've become rather out of date on wargames lately. The first thing that sprung to mind following Tim Stone's incredible Flare Path started last week was Combat Mission, but that's a Battlefront game so no dice. So I'm throwing it open to you all, dear forumites! What's a good game to buy with my coupon? I like WW2 onwards, and I like the emphasis on realism. Don't mind whether it's real time or turn based, land, naval or air.

I've owned Brothers in Arms Hells Highway. I played the hell out of CoH (and own 2, but that never clicked quite so well for me). I have Men of War and Red Tide and I occasionally play Atlantic Fleet if that selection gives you any ideas - I guess I'd be looking for something thoughtful rather than twitch based.

So, what do you Masters of All That's Gaming think?

VFRHawk
    Last edited by VFRHawk; 20-04-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with Unity of Command for WW2 turn-based goodness.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR

Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star (previously known as Achtung Panzer: Op Star) is a pretty great, thoughtful wargame based around the company-battalion battlegroup level. You won't usually be micromanaging, instead focussing on grander tactical decisions. There's a bunch of dlc too, though I don't know if its available on the matrix store. Runs anywhere from '42 to sino-soviet border skirmishes to south african rompes through angola.

Close combat is still good, but shows its age.

Distant worlds is arguably the best 4x out there.

Battle academy is pretty dece and good for beginners as well as grognards (is it matrix?)

Not sure what else is matrix.

I wouldn't worry about twitch gameplay in the wargame genre, basically everything is thoughtful if real time, or just flat out turn based.

Obscure Node
    Hmm, I already own Unity of Command, though I'd forgotten about it (oops!).

Will go take a look at Operation Star. I tried Distant Worlds but never quite got on with it - though I've sunk many hours into SoaSE, and I do have Stellaris on pre-order...

Obscure Node
    It's a shame Mius Front doesn't seem to be available in either store? Do you lose much going for the older Operation Start?

The older one is still pretty good. Mius front is less 'grand revision' than 'more of the same (and good) content', with some graphical and other additions. Lots of dlc available for the older one, and mius front won't get to that point for at least a couple years. Again, i'm not sure if all of the dlc is available on the matrix store. The matrix store is terrible, and now that a lot of their stuff has moved to steam i'm not totally sure if its worth the hassle (more discounts on steam, etc).

Graviteam has left matrix/slitherine at some point, thus the name change, so i'm not sure what the compatibility stream is like. I actually picked up both editions of Op Star, and the original dlc management system before the jump to steam was pretty awkward.

Carriers at war is decent if you like carrier warfare but im not sure if they still sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    I've owned Brothers in Arms Hells Highway. I played the hell out of CoH (and own 2, but that never clicked quite so well for me).
    Not matrix/Slitherine, but Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood is miles better than Hell's highway being far more dedicated to your role as a squad leader, and CoH2's expansion Ardennes Assault is brilliant with its DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN *bristles* and persistent units/losses.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    panzer corps is great fun. I think its overpriced though.
    Last edited by peschiNL; 20-04-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Network Hub
    oh Order of Battle is now 50% off on steam, with that extra discount its a great deal since you also get the Battle of Britain free update with it.

Obscure Node
    Is the older version of Op. Star patced up to date if you buy it through Matrix - the discount only applies to Matrix and Slitherine stores so need to buy through them?

pandora first contact.
    /thread
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

"the operator of toast is a person"

Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    Is the older version of Op. Star patced up to date if you buy it through Matrix - the discount only applies to Matrix and Slitherine stores so need to buy through them?
    I think the matrix version of op star is the same as the other non-steam versions, and should accept patches and dlc from wherever. The updater and patcher is also the dlc downloaded, and is supes awkward, but at least divorced of storefront drm. Keep in mind that op star has been 80% off on steam a few times, so if you value money over time it may be worthwhile waiting for that instead. Sort of defeats the whole matrix discount thing, but oh well.

EDIT: Also, maybe check out Vietnam '65. Unique little COIN simulator, perhaps the only one of its kind. Also, cheap.
    Last edited by artemas; 21-04-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by peschiNL View Post
    panzer corps is great fun. I think its overpriced though.
    yes I love it but damn its pricey.

Vietnam '65 plays well in SP, it's not enough to win the fights, you need to win two separate sets of hearts and minds as US of America.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    CoH2's expansion Ardennes Assault is brilliant with its DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN *bristles* and persistent units/losses.
    Which is 66% off right now, coincidentally.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the recommendations peeps. I'm downloading Op Star now. Just got to work out to play it!

To the youtube.....

VFRHawk

Let us know how you like it.

Some of the concepts are sort of finnicky, like mortar and artillery support, which can only be called in via FOOs (or FACs for air). They're usually attached to...company hq? or battalion? I forget. And setting pre-designated fireplans prior to battle cuts down on the response time a lot, otherwise you may have to wait quite some time for that fire mission.

But the good thing is that almost everything else is pretty simple. If anything, people have trouble trying to over-micromanage the game.

Polaris sector is pretty good I hear, but it sounds like you're looking for one of their war games

Network Hub
    If they hadn't parted ways with Matrix I'd say Command Ops (now labeled as #2 over at LnLPublishing) was a solid recommendation, also well reviewed by Tim Stone.

I recently got back into Command Ops and discovered that Commans Ops 2 has a free base game plus DLC module system so it effectively has a permanently up to date demo with 3 scenarios. The new pricing system sees it in much cheaper chunks than the typical Matrix style of $80+ min but it also promises you have to pay to update your DLC at least once a year so I'm split on the appeal of this new arrangement.