Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar

Hex: Shards of Fate MMOTCG

Since RPS has recently given its impression of the game, I thought it was long overdue to have a thread on the forums.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...hards-of-fate/

So let the card-flopping discussion commence.

This looks like it was shot during E3. So the most interesting info I got out of it was Corey thinking end of the year for the major PVE content.

Last edited by Winged Nazgul; 12-07-2015 at 12:37 PM.

The lawsuit between Wizards of the Coast and Hex Entertainment has been settled. Details about the settlement are sparse but it looks like it's full steam ahead for Hex.

https://www.hextcg.com/press-release-settlement/

There has also been a roadmap published on the $100,000 Tournament with details on qualifying for this awesome event.

https://www.hextcg.com/road-to-the-100000-tournament/

Network Hub
    So how is it ? Sell it to me.
    I love playing Netrunner (even online), I enjoyed Hearthstone for a while, I kind of liked the latest iteration of Magic Online (until the server problems bounced me off) and my favorite "trading" card game (maybe we should lose the name for the digital games ?) is Dreamquest !

It's MTG for the 21st century.

It's got all the foibles of MTG (similar resource system and subsequent screw/flood potential, cards sold in booster packs leading to feeling like you always need to spend money to keep current), as well as strengths (classic gameplay including the ability to respond to opponents during their turn). But then it adds the ability for cards to do things only possible in a digital space. Like this card:

which adds these cards to an opponent's deck every time you activate Phenteo:

Which then gives you this troop whenever your opponent draws the Egg from their deck for free:

You can combo it with this card for maximum hilarity:

You can see this in the sealed deck tournament (sealed deck is done with 6 random booster packs in Hex so the odds of this combo showing up is very low considering Fifth Book is a rare and Phenteo a legendary card) I was in Sunday along with puzzled commentary:

But the greatest potential for Hex lies in the MMO part of the MMOTCG label. Hex plans to have a very robust PVE (play against AI) component which will involve playing decks against AI bosses and leveling up a character like in a typical MMO. They have started on this grand plan with a rudimentary PVE mode already in the game called the Frost Ring Arena with the first major PVE drop planned for later on this year. There is also a robust and dedicated community as well as a thriving auction house for this game.
    Last edited by Winged Nazgul; 29-09-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Network Hub
    i've played maybe 1000 hours of this

the game has lots of potential. like magic the gathering, there are so many different & complex card combinations and different ways to make a deck.

but from a hardcore turn based strategy player's perspective, there are just some idiotic things that really hamper its potential

from a purely strategy gameplay perspective, the resource system with completely random shuffling is just unequivocally bad design.

also the barrier to entry for the most exciting part of the game is very steep. the best strategic part of the game is coming up and optimizing all the various card combinations, but the good cards are so expensive that only a small fraction of players will really get to enjoy that

Obscure Node
    Hi people on Rock Paper Scissors forum. I just now registered exclusively to do one thing.

PUBLICLY CONDEMN THIS GAME ON THIS THREAD.

It's advertising about free to play PvE content and available means of getting free cards is flat out false. The play experience for a new free to play player is abysmal, almost NO content is available period by means of free to play currency, which is earned in incredibly stingy amounts and can ONLY be spent in the "Auction house" at an insanely punishing scale on a minuscule random selection of the worst cards in the game.

The real money pricing is pretty abysmall and it is pretty much a crime that they are releasing their third set of basically real money only card releases without actually delivering on the actual basic free to play features, or hell, even the basic game features advertised on their web site.

Incomplete you say? Beta you say? Well guess what a quick search will net you people making basically these complaints dating back at least to well into 2014.

My own experience saw me join, pick a starter deck with frankly far too little information on what I was getting stuck with ($10 a pop to get an alternative now, and starter deck cards are clearly massively inferior to purchasable cards by an exploitative margin).

I played through the terrible tutorial, then proceeded to do the 5 "starter challenge" games for "rewards"... which consisted about LESS than approximately 1 and a half booster packs, and about enough free to play currency to buy diddly squat of value on the auction house, not even one card worth having there.

So I played the only PvE source of free to play anything on there. NOT the "campaign" with "hundreds of free cards" the site advertises, that doesn't exist, and it's absence has been apparently the bane of new players for well over a year. No I played in their lame "Arena" of various far superior packs with ADDED lame "pantomime cheating" elements thrown in by an annoying "caharrraaaaazy!" arena organizer character. Through miraculous good luck I had a perfect run of victories through the first tier of 5 opponents, which I think is well in excess of what I could hope for from the terrible deck I had. It earned me about the best you could expect from 5 games and what must have been hours of play with a terrible starter deck. Less free currency than it would take to buy A SINGLE CARD and two "items" one of which is useless to me because it appears to enhance a card I do not have, and the other of which is some sort of tertiary currency which doesn't seem to do anything and is never explained.

THAT is the experience this "game" offers. Everything else about it is huge offensive pure cash grab pay walls from about the very first second you are out of the god damn tutorial.

And aside from that? The game mechanics are boring and derivative, the incremental advancement on their ahem, appropriated game mechanics, "potential of computers!" stuff they advertise is just short of nonexistent at this stage. The interface is annoying and lame, despite obvious attempts to look flashy it looks and feels tacky and poorly made, and the experience of playing it is unpleasant and clunky as all get out.
    Last edited by Pyronymer; 02-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.

So PVE is now live and the above poster has nothing more to complain about as the F2P part of the game is now fully implemented.