Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 118
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,897

    New Steam update: "curators" are go, apparently

    So, yeah, the first phase of Valve turning Steam into the App Store is here already, it looks like. Didn't see a thread discussing it, so... any thoughts?

    Everything gets on Steam now. Everything. And it's up to you, or you, or you to help sort it all out (the new "curator" feeds, or pages, or what have you). Basically I mean "turning Steam into the App Store" inasmuch as I'm pretty sure this will do absolutely nothing of any consequence to help discoverability that the internet didn't do already. It just adds Steam as yet another middleman. Valve's PR guy even says multiple times to Kotaku and Eurogamer that oh, if developers just make awesome games and push them at the community then of course they'll be successful! (Oh, Christ, my sides.) Ultimately you'll have the curator feeds for every website in existence and every YouTuber going and a million billion individual ones for Joe Public that no-one except five of their mates pays any attention to and the whole thing will be exactly the same as the way the internet is already, except now Valve's absolved themselves of any responsibility for it but tried to slap their patented GUI on the whole thing.

    Which isn't necessarily bad, mind you. Just that I'll be very, very surprised if this leads to any kind of real seachange at all. (EDIT: Other than people slowly realising it's no use complaining to Valve any more about how no-one's paying any attention to their game, I suppose.)
    Smashwords (free stories I wrote) | Steam | Tumblr (reviews, games crit etc.)

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    5,147
    I'm actually oddly comforted by how bad the suggestions are, in the same way that I'm always pleased when facebook recommends people I've never met as "people you might know."

  3. #3
    Moderator Anthile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Germany
    Posts
    3,609
    A massive improvement on all fronts. The entire client is much more responsive. The search function is actually usable now. It only took them a good decade or so. You can click two things in a row without getting some random error message. Not a fan of the color scheme though...

    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

    Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

    Donít you feel the same way? When I cannot see myself, even though I touch myself, I wonder if I really exist.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm actually oddly comforted by how bad the suggestions are, in the same way that I'm always pleased when facebook recommends people I've never met as "people you might know."

    Confusion is over!

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,896
    It seems that Steam is going to make me look at EVERY GAME ON STEAM and decide if I'd like to Wishlist it, Buy it, Bin it etc.

    That's an amazing approach - imagine if a store did that, pushing every item in the store at you on the off-chance you might like it.

    Fantastic idea - seriously - assuming it came from a hamster with brain-damage...

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,698
    I am mostly unaffected by this as I don't use the Steam Store to learn about new games.

    But I like the blue, so there's that.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It seems that Steam is going to make me look at EVERY GAME ON STEAM and decide if I'd like to Wishlist it, Buy it, Bin it etc.

    That's an amazing approach - imagine if a store did that, pushing every item in the store at you on the off-chance you might like it.

    Fantastic idea - seriously - assuming it came from a hamster with brain-damage...
    For Valve in regards to Steam, it probably does classify as a fantastic idea. Valve lives in a fantasy world, which for the last several years has lead to awful idea after awful idea. Well, awful from a consumer standpoint.

  8. #8
    Lesser Hivemind Node Henke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    So, yeah, the first phase of Valve turning Steam into the App Store is here already, it looks like.

    Everything gets on Steam now. Everything.
    So... not like the AppStore then? Apple actually weeds out a lot of stuff, including too violent/controversial stuff and excessive numbers of very identical looking games/apps. They also heavily curate their store front. What you're describing is more like the Google Play store.

    Not that I see what's wrong with just letting everything into the store. I like Steam, and I'd rather have all my games there, in the library than as regular downloads. I don't need Steam to make sure a game is good enough to buy, there's plenty of places I can read up about any given game anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    if developers just make awesome games and push them at the community then of course they'll be successful! (Oh, Christ, my sides.)
    Gamers having to make their own minds up about what deserves being hyped up and promoted rather than Steam doing so for them? Oh the horror. Seriously, what is wrong with that?

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    988
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It seems that Steam is going to make me look at EVERY GAME ON STEAM and decide if I'd like to Wishlist it, Buy it, Bin it etc.

    That's an amazing approach - imagine if a store did that, pushing every item in the store at you on the off-chance you might like it.

    Fantastic idea - seriously - assuming it came from a hamster with brain-damage...
    This is partially how Netflix's recommendation engine works. There's a small queue you go through and you don't even have to do it regular but it aims to tune the engine under the hood a bit as well as bring a bit of serendipity to the finds.

    Nobody expects you to go through every single game but you can go and do a bit of the queue every now and then if it takes your fancy.

    It's fairly smart although I can understand not wanting to use it as much as I can wanting to use it.
    Videogames, eh?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    This is partially how Netflix's recommendation engine works. There's a small queue you go through and you don't even have to do it regular but it aims to tune the engine under the hood a bit as well as bring a bit of serendipity to the finds.

    Nobody expects you to go through every single game but you can go and do a bit of the queue every now and then if it takes your fancy.

    It's fairly smart although I can understand not wanting to use it as much as I can wanting to use it.
    Clicking "not interested" has no impact on future recommendations. It's advertising, disguised as some sort of personalized recommendation system.

    (So, really, it's their old useless "recommended for you" tab, but with more colours, and bonus "here are three F2P MMOs even though you have literally never played a F2P MMO.")
    Auto Nordic Death Cam
    ~ Grim portraits of quickload

  11. #11
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    63
    What would really be useful would be a setting like "do not show me XYZ anymore", XYZ being, for example, free to play.

    Also, did you notice how now it is even harder to see the new releases? It's not even a tab anymore, you have to scroll aaaaall the way own and click a button to open a new page. On the plus side, you can bookmark that page and just not visit the store front page anymore.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hawks View Post
    What would really be useful would be a setting like "do not show me XYZ anymore", XYZ being, for example, free to play.

    Also, did you notice how now it is even harder to see the new releases? It's not even a tab anymore, you have to scroll aaaaall the way own and click a button to open a new page. On the plus side, you can bookmark that page and just not visit the store front page anymore.
    Yeah, it's a mess.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It seems that Steam is going to make me look at EVERY GAME ON STEAM and decide if I'd like to Wishlist it, Buy it, Bin it etc.

    That's an amazing approach - imagine if a store did that, pushing every item in the store at you on the off-chance you might like it.

    Fantastic idea - seriously - assuming it came from a hamster with brain-damage...
    So basically Steam is now a Nigerian scam email system? Well, it's like email, 100 spam mails for every real one?
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,775
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I am mostly unaffected by this as I don't use the Steam Store to learn about new games.
    Yeah, me neither. I have always used external sources to discover new games. In the Steam Store I only look at the pages with sales.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

    Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,916
    Well the "queue" is rubbish and useless but who cares, if I haven't heard of a game then chances are I don't care about it until it's 75% off.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  16. #16
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    384
    I don't miss the new releases list at all. There is this myth of hypothetical, underappreciated, fantastic games just waiting to burst out and take over the gaming world, if only people would know about them. Frankly, I thought Steam was better before they let everything through, and before Greenlight. Then again, I never browse Steam for games, I just use it to buy stuff that I already know I want.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,442
    Took me all of ten minutes to make the store front page consist of only things I'd like or might like. Didn't use a single curator. So it's really not the end of times for discovery in PC gaming, as you seem to be suggesting. It just helps lead people through what they would consider to be bullshit that much quicker.

    Those who would let other people form their opinions for them weren't the ones buying "indie new release X" in the first place, so no love (or profit) lost there.
    Last edited by Xzi; 23-09-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    ~∆

  18. #18
    Network Hub Squirly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hawks View Post
    What would really be useful would be a setting like "do not show me XYZ anymore", XYZ being, for example, free to play.
    Er... am I the only one seeing the "Customize" button above "recently released" and "curators" and "queue" that lets you un-check things like Early Access and Unfinished and Linux and OSX etc?

    Because that seems to do the trick for me.

    Also, and maybe I'm imagining things, but the whole clients seems to be a bit quicker than usual. I hope that's the case and I'm not being particularly fortunate with my speeds right now, but it feels less like a sluggish browser than it used to.

  19. #19
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,411
    Like others have said, I never really browse for games in the Steam storefront. I do appreciate the curator system and especially the faster client.

    However, when looking through curators' recommended games lists, if you click a game and then go back to the list, the list is rearranged. The order is different, which means that if you want to see all games, you'll have to go back to the beginning of the list and start over. I've encountered this in other places as well and it really bugs me. Redo, Valve, and do it right!

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
    Er... am I the only one seeing the "Customize" button above "recently released" and "curators" and "queue" that lets you un-check things like Early Access and Unfinished and Linux and OSX etc?

    Because that seems to do the trick for me.

    Also, and maybe I'm imagining things, but the whole clients seems to be a bit quicker than usual. I hope that's the case and I'm not being particularly fortunate with my speeds right now, but it feels less like a sluggish browser than it used to.
    I didn't see a way to go more in depth than that, though.

    If I were going to use steam to find games I liked, I would want to be able to filter out genres where I know I'm not going to like even most of the things fans of the genre would call good; there's no point in me using Steam to find hidden gems that break boundaries. That's for RPS and whatnot. So I would want to be able to say "No Free To Play, no MOBA, no RTS, no MMO" and so forth.

    Also I would need a way of telling it what games I own but not on Steam.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 23-09-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •