Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to try Dark Souls 3, What should i know?

I've decided to give DS3 a try, since i really really love the setting, art and everything but i've bounced hard off DS2 because of it's difficulty and the horrible (for me) controls and UI.

I am hoping DS3 will be better suited for PC play. I know it's hard, i know i will die a lot.

My question is - what should i know about the game, considering i haven't played/finished part 1 and 2? Any MAJOR story points that the game makes no sense without knowing? Anything else?

Oh and, which class would you suggest for a beginner?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenus. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

I wouldn't worry about the major story points. You'll have no idea what you'll be doing and why you're doing it, which is rather traditional among souls games.

Pick the Knight class and whatever burial gift you like. The starting equipment can carry you through the entire game if you like. Be cautious and keep your shield up.

I haven't played DS2 but I know that DS3 controls are much better than DS1. Are you playing on mouse and keyboard?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Classes hardly matter, the Knight gets a good setup for taking on the opening boss, so yeah, he'll do.

More important is how you invest your levelling up, DS3 is a lot snappier with it's combat, the plot only makes so much sense anyway, and DS2 has no meaningful impact on the plot except to say the events of DS1 have been repeating and people have been feeding themselves into the flame to hold back the undead curse and it always fades.

Good news though, your character is someone from a previous run who kindled the flame and just got eaten by it completely leaving ash, meaning that when you eventually recovered from being ash you have cured yourself of hollowing! Hurrah!

So, the whole losing yourself to the curse element is sidestepped, that's pretty much it.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

XCM2 LNG WAR CP Campaign Recruits Welcome.

In case of forum degradation pull cord.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I haven't played DS2
    Honestly, it's my favourite, but leans heavily on the marionette combat of DS1
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    but I know that DS3 controls are much better than DS1. Are you playing on mouse and keyboard?
    Yeah, you'll be wanting a pad, the mouse and keyboard controls for all 3 games are suboptimal.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 08-05-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    40 is sort of a general soft cap for most attributes. If you are two handing your main weapon, 27 strength should give you the most benefits per point. If a boss is really annoying, remember you can ember up and partake in jolly cooperation.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Network Hub
    Honestly, if you didn't like DS2, I don't think DS3 will change your mind about the Soulsborne series, especially if controls and UI are what put you off! DS2 ironed out any remaining PC niggles, so DS3 is not 'better suited to PC play'. By which I mean DS2 already played perfectly on PC.

EDIT: If by 'PC play', you mean M+KB, don't bother.
    Last edited by Junkenstein; 08-05-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Well, I've beaten all 3 games with KB+M, DS2 did so with a punching/boxing build. It takes a bit to get used to, but works perfectly fine for me.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What others said - use a controller if at all possible, knight is a good rough n tough starting option.

Be prepared for more aggressive enemies than DS1.

Seems like there are even more hidden side quests than the previous games too. If you really hate the idea of missing lots of stuff then you will have to be methodical about searching levels as you go. Otherwise just do as you feel and miss half the stuff on your first playthrough with no regrets, like me!

But most importantly: take it easy. It's good to get pumped up on adrenaline but don't beat your head against a wall. If a boss fight stresses you out, take a break. Going back with fresh eyes can feel completely different. My first playthrough was often fifteen minute bursts of trying a boss, then walking away from the computer for a bit. It can be such a joyous game to play, even with high tension and YOU DIED, would be a shame to ruin it because you feel like you need to 'git gud' by punishing yourself.

Relatedly: summon all the assistance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I only played the first but I assume it's still about knowledge and repetition to gather said knowledge, coming back to places which killed you to learn stuff. Rather than mastery or reflex or anything and 3 kinds of difficulty.
    Just giving the main gist is all I can do, don't think it's something impossible because of different parries or faster swings or builds or crap equip whatever else.;o
    Last edited by Wenz; 08-05-2017 at 01:31 PM.

I have a PS2 like controller that i can use, i'll give it a shot.

Was wondering something else - if i got it right when you die you lose ... something, and then you can try to get to your remains and you get part of that something back, but not 100%? Does that mean that if you die enough times there's no point in going on?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenus. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1685...s-iii/73560197

it's for more decision making, decide if you walk to a place with high lethality/ a degree of boss fight or go away

Not exactly:

When you die, you drop your unused souls on the spot and lose embered status. If you go back and pick up your souls, you lose nothing except for embered status. If you die before picking up your souls again, then you do lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post

Was wondering something else - if i got it right when you die you lose ... something, and then you can try to get to your remains and you get part of that something back, but not 100%? Does that mean that if you die enough times there's no point in going on?
    You lose souls, which is the currency used to level up and buy items. Every time you die, all of your souls get dropped on the ground in a bloodstain, and if you had a previous bloodstain it disappears along with all the souls it contained. Losing souls is no big deal though. The sooner you accept that, the less grief it will cause you. There are always more souls to get and you're never, ever in a position where death makes further progress impossible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post

In addition to the answers above mine, it's also important to note that souls (the things you can lose) come and go and not being precious about them is an early lesson to learn.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sounds like you already made your mind up to play DS3, but I would strongly recommend going with DS1. Yes, the controls can feel clunky when you start and the PC port is abysmal, but the former you do get used to and the latter can be mostly sorted with the user made patch.

The first is truly a magical game that none of the sequels have matched (Bloodbourne gets the closest, but that is PS4 exclusive.) I bounced off it hard twice initially, so I will admit it isn't the easiest game to get into, but when it clicks it is sublime. The world is so perfectly crafted and the connected level design just hasn't been bettered (in fact, it is mostly forgotten in both sequels.) The gameplay may be harsh, but it is generally fair (don't believe those that say there are no bullshit moments, but they can be counted on a hand,) and you always feel like you are improving and learning.

That isn't to say DS3 (or DS2,) are bad. In many ways, the third game is mechanically the best, but it can not compare to that first game. I would also say there is very much an expectation that the player is fluent in Dark Souls. The opening boss is ridiculously difficult, far more so then any of the early bosses in the other games, whilst later bosses can be horrendous solo, but a cake walk with a summoned ally.

Edit - Just to add on that opening boss, he is much easier as a knight, so I strongly recommend using that class to begin with. The strong shield he starts with is really essential when you are not knowledgeable on how to dodge attacks. Also, save the fire bombs for when he... transforms.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 08-05-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Just to add to what everyone else has said, keep this in mind: there is no "right" way to play a Dark Souls game, no matter what people with incredibly tiny penises might tell you. It's a game that rewards pragmatism, exploiting enemy AI, exploiting level design, abusing high ledges and ranged attacks and generally being as much of a cheesy bastard as is humanly possible. If you're having trouble with a section, pick enemies off from range, cheese them with a greatshield, or just pop an ember for a health boost and the opportunity to summon a helper, or drop a sign and get summoned by other people so you can scout an area out at no risk to yourself (you lose no souls if you're summoned as a friendly phantom). Learn to cheat, basically. It's Dark Souls' version of a difficulty choice, if you want easy mode, summon people, if you want hard mode, play without ranged attacks and shields. And the best part is, you can switch between the two whenever you like. It's not anywhere near as unforgiving as it's often made out to be, you just need to drop a few prejudices and learn to adapt to the mindset the game is best played in, a combination of high-functioning paranoia and blatant, shameless cheating.

As for the story, it's Dark Souls. You're going to be missing everything even if you've played through all of the games without reading through a whole bunch of item lore, completing all of the hidden NPC quests (which are not in any way conventional quests, more like chains of secrets), carefully observing every single environment and making connections and leaps of logic between all of the above. It doesn't have anything like a conventional narrative, the way its storytelling works is probably the closest any game gets to what it's like to do actual historical research. If you do want to know more, VaatiVidya is your man.
    Also known as ATrifleMiffed

Secondary Hivemind Nexus GameCat's Avatar
    There's nothing like cheese in Dark Souls, it's just survival of the smartests.

If you can't play Dark Souls (1 ) I can't see why you'd buy DS3, I only play DS3 because DS1 has run out of surprises.

I killed the first boss!
    --

Well done! Now onward to the High Wall with you. Be sure to level up and stock up on firebombs.