Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

XCOM 2 Official - Please white out spoilers!

So who is excited for a bit of research, terror and rookies losing 99% chance shots? I have kept myself away from most of the marketing so I don't know much about the added systems but I'm really looking forward to going back to the world.

Whats everybody's opinion?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sketchseven's Avatar
    I'm very keen. I really enjoyed the Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within, and I've been powering through a lot of the YouTuvbe content that's been released in the last couple of weeks. I'm sold on it.

XCOM was, well too polished chrome plated finish for me, it always felt like your downfall was a poorly reported potential for flanking or overwatch through the corner of a wall. But those production values were brilliant.

Truth be told, XCOM wasn't finished, it was crammed deep into console limitations, and the controller interface was pretty great.

XCOM 2 is reportedly PC only, but I no longer trust Firaxis after XCOM and Civ5 and the mediocre expansions.

The last time Firaxis impressed me was 2007, I feel like an I'm just over them.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    XCOM was, well too polished chrome plated finish for me, it always felt like your downfall was a poorly reported potential for flanking or overwatch through the corner of a wall. But those production values were brilliant.

Truth be told, XCOM wasn't finished, it was crammed deep into console limitations, and the controller interface was pretty great.

XCOM 2 is reportedly PC only, but I no longer trust Firaxis after XCOM and Civ5 and the mediocre expansions.

The last time Firaxis impressed me was 2007, I feel like an I'm just over them.
    Yeah, I'm waiting on the most cynical reviews for this one. Civ:BE was so bland and sad it destroyed my remaining faith in Firaxis (which wasn't huge given XCOM was aggressively "decent" rather than great, and full of minor frustrations and DLC money-grabs).

That said, it sounds like they fixed almost everything I disliked about XCOM, and indeed like it might work much better as a game, so I am almost hyped. Almost.

It couldn't of been the same team working on BE and this though could it?

Who were the team on the Pirates! remake or Beyond the Sword, or Bloody SMAC. Firaxis has ended up sliding towards Creative Assembly's reputation for releasing aggressively average games which review brilliantly because journos are chronically over exposed to marketing.
    What's sad is legitimately better games that actually exist as products get hugely overlooked and marketing departments can brute force desire for previews, and journalists comply because of dem clicks.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Who were the team on the Pirates! remake or Beyond the Sword, or Bloody SMAC. Firaxis has ended up sliding towards Creative Assembly's reputation for releasing aggressively average games which review brilliantly because journos are chronically over exposed to marketing.
    What's sad is legitimately better games that actually exist as products get hugely overlooked and marketing departments can brute force desire for previews, and journalists comply because of dem clicks.
    What does the bolded sentence mean? I.e. can you re-phrase that?

I kinda agree with the rest. If Civ:BE, literally the same exact game with a different title, had come out from a new/unknown developer, it'd have got 60-65% Metacritic, if even that. That said it "only" got 81% - so not quite the worship it might have.

For reference, I genuinely believe that long war made XCOM into a impressive nugget of strategic warfare, but then hardly the best of it's class. Hell, the fact enemies stand around mouth agape until you trigger them makes broken classics like Jagged (2, not the reboot) tower over XCOM.

Activated Node
    XCOM EU pretty much changed my gaming habits. I'd never played a turn based game before. Rented it on my PS3, not expecting much. Ended up keeping it for weeks, playing every day until it was given free on PS Plus. Then I bought XCOM EW on the PS3 and later again on the PC to play Long War.

I don't think I'd have ended up putting 1000s of hours into games like Civ, Mordheim, Endless Legend, etc. if it wasn't for XCOM showing me the delights of turn based gaming.

I fully expect to get 100s of hours of pleasure from XCOM 2 and with the random maps and full mod support it should keep me going for even longer than the previous one before the inevitable boredom kicks in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    XCOM2XCOM2XCOM2XCOM2XCOM2. XCOM2XCOM2XCOM2.

XCOM2.

I have literally been counting the days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    It looks like they've fixed the elements which made it boring- i.e mechanics which mean that anything other than a tedious meticulous compact march is just unnecessary and stupid. I'm excited by Matt Lees enthusiasm for it but on the other hand he was very excited about the original which was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in gaming.

All that said while I won't have any need to play it any time soon I think it's probably going to be really good. Whathisface, the developer guy, seems to be a real enthusiast for the genre, is fulsome in his praise of Xcom's competition and obviously just wants to make an amazing strategy game.
    Do we put that on a game that says that there are people falling out of windows and when they hit the ground we kill them and we say that is a Fallout and they are falling out of cars

sonson, I feel exactly as you do up to 5 minutes after watching a trailer, then the marketing buzz wears off and I realise what I posted above again, I deeply want XCOM2 to be released to the horns of sepharim, I just doubt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I am actually very excited for XCOM2 and gone the unusual step of pre-ordering it. However I loved the new XCOM and don't really care about most of the criticism levelled at it, the only X:Com I really rate higher than it was Apocalypse though. Sounds like lots of incremental improvements and some radical shake ups of a formula I really love.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    I am actually very excited for XCOM2 and gone the unusual step of pre-ordering it. However I loved the new XCOM and don't really care about most of the criticism levelled at it, the only X:Com I really rate higher than it was Apocalypse though. Sounds like lots of incremental improvements and some radical shake ups of a formula I really love.
    Criticism of XCOM being the exception, of course, not the rule. It's hard to QQ when every run is so very customizable, especially after the release of EW. I seriously doubt anyone who didn't like it took the time to find their preferred level of difficulty and game modifiers instead of just playing the vanilla experience and not liking that.

That said, my one complaint seems to have been fixed in XCOM 2. IE the strategy of 'move up slowly, everybody overwatch' is no longer nearly as effective, let alone being the best strategy in many situations. I also love that missions are procedurally generated, meaning you can reload as many times as you want to keep from losing a soldier, but you'll be presented with a new layout and new enemy locations every time.

I put around 80 hours in to EU and EW, I'll definitely be pre-purchasing XCOM 2. Which can be found right around $30 from a number of sites.
    Last edited by Xzi; 22-01-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    ~

Network Hub
    Jake Solomon has earned my trust with the franchise so far, so I'm on board for the sequel. He's integrating community ideas and making modding more accessible! The maps are procedurally generated, more like the original! Greater soldier customization! No satellites! XCOM2 will have to work pretty hard to disappoint me.

Sorry for missing this:
    Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    What does the bolded sentence mean? I.e. can you re-phrase that?
    "Who were the team on the Pirates! remake or Beyond the Sword, or Bloody SMAC."

andelect suggested that while at the same developer, XCOM2 was likely worked on by a different base team than Beyond Earth, which was a steaming mound of "okay, but boring", but, I found Pirates! (2004), Beyond the Sword (Civ4 expansion) and Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri to be mind blowing. I'm suggesting that, no matter who made beyond earth, Firaxis has had development teams who were golden, and where are these people now, are they even at Firaxis, are the people who made that name mean something long gone?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzi View Post
    Criticism of XCOM being the exception, of course, not the rule. It's hard to QQ when every run is so very customizable, especially after the release of EW. I seriously doubt anyone who didn't like it took the time to find their preferred level of difficulty and game modifiers instead of just playing the vanilla experience and not liking that.
    Depends on what you didn't like about it. I mean, I liked XCOM, but there's things about the design and presentation which do irk me (and which EW didn't fix, although it did improve a heck of a lot of things).

Banned
    Sorry for missing this:

"Who were the team on the Pirates! remake or Beyond the Sword, or Bloody SMAC."

andelect suggested that while at the same developer, XCOM2 was likely worked on by a different base team than Beyond Earth, which was a steaming mound of "okay, but boring", but, I found Pirates! (2004), Beyond the Sword (Civ4 expansion) and Sid Meier's Alpha Centuri to be mind blowing. I'm suggesting that, no matter who made beyond earth, Firaxis has had development teams who were golden, and where are these people now, are they even at Firaxis, are the people who made that name mean something long gone?
    Yes, they now make mobile games. Some of them work/ed for Zynga.

I'm fine with X-COM 2. I liked the first one and this seems like they looked at the top mods and aimed for that. I'm alright with that. Some other companies may benefit from doing that as well...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After my first complete game, I never felt compelled to play more XCOM. Final missions were flat and always hated the sight/spawn into cover. Sit back and let snipers win. Stayed more fun until you had top ranked characters.

if anything, made me play more UFO or Xenonauts. Hoping the changes coming to 2 are enough to make it more interesting in the long term.

Very excited. Loved the original, and unlike others I think Firaxis' remake was a good modernization and testament that turn-based squad strategy still had an audience.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -