Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar

Scary gaming stories

Since it's Halloween weekend, lets share (gaming) scare stories...

I was a wee lad and I was on my first 8088 following a few years with the ZX Spectrum. It was a dark, gloomy, rainy evening and I was playing a messed up copy of Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra (in the sense that it did not allow me to save due to it being, uhm, not mine so to speak). I spent hours reaching a dungeon outside the first city and I was fighting, well, I can't remember what, but it was intense and scary.

My desk and pc were facing the wall, with the room entrance behind me. The room was dark and the speakers were tuned up. Must not die, since I have no save function and that meant I would have to start the whole thing again.

At that point, I was getting hammered by some flying creatures if I remember correctly. They produced some wooshing sounds I think and they were bastards to kill. Suddenly, there is a breeze directly at the back of my right ear which got stronger and stronger in under a second. I jump, turn around, and slap at the imaginary beast that was trying to eat me.

It was my father blowing on my ear to scare me. It worked, but he wasn't very happy with himself, since I backslapped his face, glasses flying all the way out of the room, him following shortly after, swearing.

So, someone got scared after all.

I once played through the entirity of Condemned: Criminal Origins (the scariest game ever made, go play it!) in a single night. I was up until four in the morning in the attic of an otherwise empty house that was creaking with every gust of wind. I really had to push myself to go downstairs to go to my bed afterwards.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

There's a section/scene in F.E.A.R, I won't spoil when or what happens.

That's the only time in my life where I have been quite genuinely frozen in terror. It was the weirdest sensation, needing so desperately to look away from the screen or somehow make this thing go away, but being completely unable to.

It would be interesting to know if this affected anyone else in the same way.
    GW2: Emmett Lazlow ; Elite: Emmett Lazlo ; Steam: ​RobDollar

In the far, far year 1999, I was playing Aliens vs Predator over the internet with a buddy of mine. I was 12 at the time, and was home alone – my parents had gone to my brother's musical gig.

Mode: Deathmatch.

Me: playing as a marine; my friend as the predator.

I was really scared. The radar was beeping constantly, and then the beeping would suddenly disappear. My pal went on to play the classic 'laughter taunt' of the predator, all the while blowing up the lights on the map, so that he would get the advantage in total darkness – predators have thermal vision, while poor ol' marines only have that damn useless green night vision.

While he was destroying lights and making sudden noises, I swore that I heard sounds coming from my kitchen downstairs. Suddenly, my buddy turned up behind me and impaled me with his razor wrists.

I swore like a sailor to him in the game chat. He nearly made me shat myself in my lil boy pants :)
    Last edited by BathroomCitizen; 02-11-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFizz View Post
    There's a section/scene in F.E.A.R, I won't spoil when or what happens.

That's the only time in my life where I have been quite genuinely frozen in terror. It was the weirdest sensation, needing so desperately to look away from the screen or somehow make this thing go away, but being completely unable to.

It would be interesting to know if this affected anyone else in the same way.

Feel free to share that experience,with spoilers of course.

Warning, this post contains some Resident Evil 1 story/creature spoilers.

It must have been around the same time as BathroomCitizen involuntary relieved himself (in the dark) when I had one of the biggest scares of my gaming life.

I think I was 14 or 15 years at that time and a buddy of mine just got that crazy spooky game called Resident Evil for his PS1. We used to sit in his basement (poorly heated, concrete walls), our gaming sessions usually started after school and sometimes went on until late in the evening. It was mostly him who played, me sitting next to him, sometimes taking over for a while.

We shared such great experiences as meeting big bloody spider, big bloody snake, reverse-defenestrating dogs, big bloody shark, closet zombie as well as big bloody frog mens. It's not an overstatement to say that after a while we felt like pretty tough dudes who wouldn't be shaken so lightly.

Then, while exploring the super secret underground lab area, we stepped outside of a room and into a hallway. We heard a noise. Something dropped from the ceiling and right infront of the camera.

We screamed in beautiful unison, on the top of our lungs. In a knee-jerk reaction my buddy yanked the controller towards his chest, as if to protect himself with it from whatever was attacking him on-screen. The TV bluescreened, which we took as occasion to let loose another A+ quality sync-squeal while at the same time trying to reattach the controller's connector cable.

Later that night I achieved a new lap record on my way home.
    Forum janitor in training.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Feel free to share that experience,with spoilers of course.
    Cool, F.E.A.R spoilers alert!

It's essentially right at the end of the game. It's a very well executed horror game in the sense that there's always an air of tension and uneasiness.

In the bit that scared the hell out of me, basically you're in a sterile old hospital type corridor, at the end of which appears an atrophied / dead manifestation of the woman you've heard the disembodied cries of throughout the game.
    It looks horrific, and it's not a cut scene so your still in the moment. Your slowly pushed towards her, she's looking straight at you an you can't do anything about it, bullets do nothing etc.

As I said, I was frozen in terror, a strange feeling of wanting to look away but being unable to. This was around 9-10 years ago and I can still remember the feeling like it was yesterday.
    Last edited by BobbyFizz; 31-10-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    GW2: Emmett Lazlow ; Elite: Emmett Lazlo ; Steam: ​RobDollar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Yes,i remembeber that part of game. At the time of release it was one of the scariest games for me,playing it now its still good shooter but not scary anymore.

Network Hub
    When i was a kid a power outage lost me 3 hours of progress in Final Fantasy 7

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    When i was a kid a power outage lost me 3 hours of progress in Final Fantasy 7
    Oh my, suddenly I've remebered all my Diablo 2 saves which were lost to scariest digital demons ever whose name is FORMAT C and they were legion.
    Good we have the Cloud Angels now.

I was going for achievement in a pvp game for 500 consecutive kills without using meds or losing. My internet did go bonkers when i was on 497 and disconnection mean loss . It broke my heart :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Mine's a classic, the Ravenholm level in HL2. First time I saw a poison headcrab, when a bunch of other crabs were still milling about and jumping at me. Being at one HP with a giant black spider in your face and a bunch of smaller ones trying to remove that last health point is deeply distressing when you're so tense you forgot where the quicksave button is and your last autosave was fifteen minutes and three loading screens ago.

Keeping with the Source engine theme, the Last Man on Earth mode in Left 4 Dead 2 was definitely 2spooky4me, especially since the AI director absolutely despised me. Nothing gets the adrenaline going quite like getting pounced by a Hunter and hearing a Smoker's coughing just as you're getting up and trying to beat the hoodied bastard to death with a lawn gnome.

"Hisssssssssssssss"
    -xenomorph on your neck, avp classic2000

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BathroomCitizen View Post
    I swore that I heard sounds coming from my kitchen downstairs. Suddenly, my buddy turned up behind me and impaled me with his razor wrists.
    And in the game? Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist.

My scariest gaming moment was in STALKER SoC, a game I crept through in a state of utter horrified fascination on my first playthrough. This was in the lab in Yantar, in a set of dark, nested corridors a little bit into the facility. I turned a corner and behind some boxes I suddenly saw a snork* rearing up and roaring at me. I opened fire and was pretty sure I'd missed, but suddenly the snork was nowhere to be seen. I went back the corridor to make sure it hadn't gone around the other way, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I should mention that the game was really buggy and I'd had enemies bug out on me before, so I simply assumed it had glitched out or buggered off somewhere else.

Feeling a little lighter of heart, I kept moving on and went past the point where I'd started doubling back before, only to suddenly hear a loud roar just behind me and I turned around to see the damned snork leaping right at my face. It must have silently stalked behind me for about a minute as I was looking for it, just biding its time! I fired my assault rifle in panic and accidentally fired off a grenade which hit a nearby explosive barrel, which in turn killed me. Then I closed down the game and didn't play again for three days.

I've played the game through twice since that first playthrough and still feel dread when it comes time to go to Yantar.

* If you haven't played the STALKER games, a "Snork" is a zombiefied human with a gas mask on its face, moving around on all fours. They sound bloody terrifying and are capable of leaping great distances to claw your face off.

The last game that truly scared me was System Shock 2. Man, going to pee at like 3am after and hearing a rustling noise made me freeze in place for like 10 seconds straight.

Don't go near the children...
    Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

In keeping with this thread, I just reinstalled Thief: Deadly Shadows. I look forward to replaying it, but I dread replaying the infamous Shalebridge Cradle mission.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Oh man, yes, the first Thief was incredibly creepy. I loved it back in the day. I just had to connect my Aiwa mini cd system to the PC and play Thief in the dark. Great times!

Thanks for all the triggers, everyone! Stalker and Thief especially, I could say something about those two...
    Forum janitor in training.

Hotline Miami gave me the most vivid nightmares I have ever had.
    - Do you have any debts?

- I owe some people a few apologies.

Playing Half-Life with some weird old elctronica (Aphex Twin or something) and hearing a horrible grinding noise, pausing the game and looking out the window seeing nothing, then something like crying a few minutes later. Essentially sound being sampled by the game was just short enough that I didn't get long enough to locate the source. It carried on for a few days, even when I later swapped out the disc I didn't realise what had happened, months later I left the album running and recognised the noises.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/