Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Ranger Thread - Bear Bow Mountain

The One True Ranger Resource Thread!

Ranger Bugs List on Google Docs.

Sinister Ranger vs. Berserker Ranger (4m 57s) by Pernix

PvE

Condition Ranger - Axe/Torch
    Highest dps build for pve ranger.
    Requires account-bound recipes from Silverwastes.
    Requires trinkets from Living World achievements for Fractals.

Video Guide (16m 13s) by Pernix Build

Specializations:
    • Skirmishing 3-1-1
    • Wilderness Survival 3-1-3
    • Beastmastery 2-3-3

Traits highlighted in yellow are optional and should be used depending on the situation.

Beastmastery:

Gear:
    • Full Sinister - 1-2 pieces of Rabid if training wheels are necessary.
    • Rampager's Back

Runes:

Weapons/Sigils:

Skills:

Pets:

Consumables:

Usage:

Do note that although both weapons are technically ranged weapons, Axe #2 - Splitblade, Torch #5 - Bonfire and Flame Trap are only effective in melee range.

This is therefore a full melee build and will do insignificant damage at range.

The key item of this build is:
    • Quick Draw - After swapping weapons, the next weapon skill you use recharges 66% faster

This lets you use Bonfire every 10 seconds instead of every 24, and will provide most of your dps.

Because of this:
    • you must always use Bonfire as the first skill after swapping weapons
    • you must only use Bonfire within 5 seconds of swapping weapons in combat

If you ever use Bonfire while not under the effects of Quick Draw, your dps will fall to the floor for the next 20+ seconds.

You will begin the fight:

After that:

Remorseless Ranger - Sword/Axe-Greatsword-Longbow
    For solo play and casual groups.

Video Guide (9m 2s) by Brazil Build

Specializations:

• Marksmanship 3-2-2
    • Skirmishing 2-1-1
    • Beastmastery 3-2-2

Traits highlighted in yellow are optional and should be used depending on the situation.

Skirmishing:

Beastmastery:

Gear:
    • Full Berserker's gear - 1-2 pieces of Knight's if training wheels are necessary.

Runes:

Weapons and sigils - choose 2 of:

Skills:

Pets:

Usage:

The key items of this build are:

The interaction of the 3 traits means whenever you swap weapons in combat:
    • the next non-autoattack weapon skill is a guaranteed critical
    • applies 5 stacks of Vulnerability for 5 seconds
    • deals 25% more damage
    • recharges 66% faster

In addition you will have 3 seconds of Quickness every 16 seconds via pet swapping.

You will begin the fight as follows:
    • Frost Spirit
    • Signet of the Wild
    • Pet's F2 ability
    • Your weapon's strongest skills
    • Swap Weapons
    • You weapon's strongest skills
    • When the pet's active ability is completed, swap pets
    • Pet's F2 ability
    • Continue swapping pets and weapons on cooldown

If that seems complex, the basic are as follows:

For each weapon set, the skill you want to use first are:

Use "Strength of the Pack!" on cooldown for Might, Fury, Swiftness and Regeneration, as well as Vulnerability and damage through Remorseless.

In short boss fights, use "Sic 'Em!" as soon as your Pet's F2 ability is activated. For longer boss fights, save it for the weaker of your pets, as the traited cooldown syncs with an every-other-pet usage.
    Last edited by Taverius; 13-08-2015 at 04:33 PM.
    Steam: Taverius
    GW2: Katekk | Astrid Lissani | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Ylva Blightstep | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

Predator's Onslaught Ranger - Sword/Axe-Longbow
    Best for organized groups where the extra vulnerability application is unnecessary.

Video Guide (9m 2s) by Pernix Build

Specializations:
    • Marksmanship 3-2-1
    • Skirmishing 2-1-1
    • Beastmastery 3-3-2

Skirmishing:

Beastmastery:

Gear/Runes/Weapons/Sigils/Skills/Pets: as above

Usage:

The key items of this build are:

Begin the fight:

Since this is a sword build, it is recommended to disable autoattack on sword so you can dodge at will.

WvW - TBD

sPvP - TBD
    Last edited by Taverius; 31-07-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    GW2: Katekk | Astrid Lissani | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Ylva Blightstep | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Both my ranger and his pet seem to take much more damage now than they did before the trait change and I can't tell why. I'm using the same gear as before and I don't think any of the old traits had much effect on toughness or vitality.
    It's rather puzzling and annoying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    if you were 6,5,0,3,0 in the old trait line then you've lost 75 health, but gained 75 toughness; so you should take slightly less direct damage but be more susceptible to conditions
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: Hawksbane

Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    if you were 6,5,0,3,0 in the old trait line then you've lost 75 health, but gained 75 toughness; so you should take slightly less direct damage but be more susceptible to conditions
    yeah, I noticed the condition thing in WvW when a guardian killed me extremely quickly, something that didn't happen in the past, but non-condition damage also seems to do more damage, so I don't know. It feels like I just take more damage from everything now in PvE (presumably in WvW too, but I haven't played much of it after the patch, aside from that single guardian).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeh have had numerous instance's in PVP of getting one/two shotted by necro's recently.

WvW havent really noticed it tbh.
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen, Hera Tempastatis
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam and UPLAY: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100#1317

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    yeah, I noticed the condition thing in WvW when a guardian killed me extremely quickly, something that didn't happen in the past, but non-condition damage also seems to do more damage, so I don't know. It feels like I just take more damage from everything now in PvE (presumably in WvW too, but I haven't played much of it after the patch, aside from that single guardian).
    Not surprising.

Most rangers were either 3 deep (sword) or 5 deep (greatsword) in the vit line, and had 150/250 vitality (1500/2500 health) from it; that's not present anymore, and the 740 health/74 toughness you've gained only makes up for a part of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    One shot by a necro? Are you sure it wasn't a bugged engi? I guess Shroud burst isn't too bad..
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by Taverius View Post
    Not surprising.

Most rangers were either 3 deep (sword) or 5 deep (greatsword) in the vit line, and had 150/250 vitality (1500/2500 health) from it; that's not present anymore, and the 740 health/74 toughness you've gained only makes up for a part of it.
    I've already forgotten what I had before the change, but I guess that could be it. I usually aim for about equal amounts of toughness and vitality and I certainly don't have that anymore (toughness is quite a bit higher than vitality now).

Not very fond of the new system, really. It is nice you get both faster projectiles/recharge and piercing in one trait now, but that's about the only positive thing I've noticed. Other than that it just feels much more limited.

Ranger didn't get many good things with the new system, unlike most other classes.

There are some strong builds out there, but in pvp they're all either condi (ive played condi ranger to death) or longbow (boring like baby food), and the pve builds are weaker by comparison with other classes.

Quick Draw, Remorseless and friends are nice, but they barely make up for the lost damage from lost flat modifiers, and certainly can't stand against the 10-25% extra dps everyone but necro gained through traits.

Someone asked about my shitty melee ranger for pvp.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That was me. ty
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Hari Scarlett

And the Beastmastery version, which can also be run with Crusader amulet and runes of rage/air/pack/anything with fury procs or +ferocity.

I'm not a fan myself but it seems widely used, in the context of double melee rangers. Many other builds here.

Relevant to our interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Taverius View Post
    Relevant to our interests.
    Thanks. That does explain some of the weirdness I thought I was experiencing. Especially Healing Spring seems a lot less useful now and works in odd ways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Ranger
    Pets: Increased the power, precision, toughness, and vitality of pets by up to 150 at level 80.
    Crippling Talon: Increased the range to 1200.
    Throw Torch: Increased the range to 1200.
    Bonfire: Increased the radius to 240.
    Hunter’s Call: Increased the range to 1200.
    Call of the Wild: Increased the radius to 750.
    Whirling Defense: Increased the reflection radius to 150.
    Path of Scars: Increased the base range to 1200.
    Now isn't that nice. That's the lost offhand training made baseline, right? Bonfire range is enormous now, and you can start a fight with Throw Torch instead of axe auto. Just as the new condi build starts getting some recognition.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 29-07-2015 at 04:17 AM.

I'm a little ambivalent about the Path of Scars range - you can pull people from further, but its usually used in melee and now people have even more time to dodge the return pull, which itself has 300 more units of terrain to get stuck in and not come back from.

Other than that, its all pretty good.

Stealth fix that was mentioned elsewhere: longbow skills don't go on full cooldown any more if you cancel them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Here's the new and sanctified PvE ranger condition build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJA3...5n06EIFwiKrA-e

Note the weapon positions. The build revolves around weapon swapping on cooldown to trigger Quick Draw so you can use Bonfire more frequently (which happens to align to the weapon swap cooldown exactly). Since you have your mainhand axe in one set and your torch in the other, the swap keeps your weapon skills exactly the same. The condition changes made Sun Spirit surprisingly potent, so you bring it in addition to the usual Frost Spirit.

Pets are Lynx and Jaguar, although Drakes are still good if you need more AoE.

These are the DnT numbers comparing the Sinister and Berserker builds (Sinister is better):
    http://i.imgur.com/e4eMOHT.png
    http://i.imgur.com/GYExg1z.png

Personally I use Wilderness Knowledge instead of Poison Master. The damage loss is very small and you get to use Troll Unguent as condition removal now that Healing Spring is so annoying to use. If you don't need Strength of the Pack, Entangle is good for extra damage.

I absolutely recommend every ranger player looking for maximum damage to try this build since it abandons sword and its auto-attack entirely outside of situations that make projectile use impossible. Not to mention the comparatively massive AoE damage.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 30-07-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    great... rangers being even more annoying
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, hardcore spectre of ghastly damage
    Monksgaard, hunter of dragons with bow and trap
    Monkscourge, provider of bonus conditions you didn't know you needed
    Monksfenrisson, a burning scandinavian who can support his friends at party time
    Monksderwydd, an irish chap who can wield staffs, bows and pets

Its nice but its affected by so many bugs:

• The 150 condition damage bonus from ambidexterity is lost when teleporting/waypointing without a loading screen (ac3, for example)
    • The CD of Throw Torch is not affected by Ambidexterity - its 15sec with both ingame
    • Quick Draw's reduced CD is always based off the untraited CD, so Bonfire's CD is unaffected by Ambidex too
      • So in effect, the condi damage from ambidex is often not there, it doesn't affect the cd of skill #4, and doesn't affect the CD of skill #5. Its doing nothing.

• The precision on the pet from Pack Alpha doesn't affect the pet's crit chance
    • The pet's condis do wet tissue damage because they only have 300 condition damage, so that's 1.5 wasted traits
    • Natural Healing is bugged and only works after switching pets in combat

Swap Ambidex for Refined Toxins
    Swap Companion's Might for Resounding Timbre
    Swap Natural Healing for Wilting Strike

Expertise training is doing nothing worth mentioning but since there's no better option might as well stick with it.

P.S. The burn from Sun Spirit is only a group dps gain if most of the team is condi. If its mostly zerk, swap Viper's Nest in (tooltip ingame is wrong, its 3 stacks of poison per tick).

P.P.S. If running 2 traps swap Sharpened Edges for Trapper's Expertise.

P.P.P.S. Never run Healing Spring, it has a bug list half a page long.
    Last edited by Taverius; 30-07-2015 at 04:14 PM.