Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles - non-combat, third-person RPG

Thanks RPS (and Alice) for bringing this game to my attention:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-release-date/

https://www.yonderchronicles.com/

So details are pretty hard to come by and i was wondering what platforms this is coming out on? I would love to see it on GOG, but suspect it will be via Sony (there is a PS4 version) so not sure what kind of DRM will be involved?

In terms of the RPS write up and it being a peaceful (non combat) focused crpg, that also looks incredibly dreamy, this would be right up my alley. Fingers crossed i can get to play it.
    Last edited by alms; 13-03-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It looks utterly charming and one I will definitely be looking to pick up. I really like the non combat idea, I just want to wander in some colourful worlds, not have to save the world by murdering everyone and everything, for once.

Also its on the PS4 store for 19 which is a great price.

GoG have been getting better lately at convincing devs to publish on them and while it might be Sony that is helping it reach PS4, there is no mention of them in the trailer. Usually they have a Sony something logo.

Sounds very interesting - I've taken the liberty to soup up the OP a little.
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly May comes with Grizzly's-paw-of-approval Dirt Rally, Playdead's of LIMBO's fame INSIDE, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I had completely missed this on the front page, so thanks for bringing it up here, ZakG. It does indeed look like it has a lot of promise - certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I had completely missed this on the front page, so thanks for bringing it up here, ZakG. It does indeed look like it has a lot of promise - certainly worth keeping an eye on.
    Which reminds me, it's kind of masochistic announcing a release date, these days, and not have store pages up for it: multitudes will be looking and thinking "lovely!" and then forget about it because they can't wishlist it.
    The Onward March of Bundles - For an overview of bundle deals, and more, click here. The new Humble Monthly May comes with Grizzly's-paw-of-approval Dirt Rally, Playdead's of LIMBO's fame INSIDE, and more fab indie games. If you like what I'm doing, and are a new subscriber, please consider using this link, throw some monies at me, at no cost or inconvenience to you. Thanks! Me on Steam and HowLongToBeat.

"I'm too big of a hothead, I've got a history, I've got implants...take your pick."

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Which reminds me, it's kind of masochistic announcing a release date, these days, and not have store pages up for it: multitudes will be looking and thinking "lovely!" and then forget about it because they can't wishlist it.
    Yup. I went to wishlist it and (obviously) couldn't, I'm hoping it doesn't totally slip my mind in the intervening time. Having a forum thread about it improves the odds, at least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gosh, I am becoming a cynic in my old age. Visually speaking it looks lovely, I hope it is lovely. I fundamentally don't understand the uh, harvest moons and stardew valley genre of games, but I can appreciate the charm the trailer exudes.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

TBH I wonder how relevant the reference to Stardew Valley may actually be - I haven't watched any game-play videos, it may just have picked because it's a very successful game that lots of people love, having some traits in common, giving a rough idea of what to expect, without being particularly representative of the game itself.

For instance, I've argued several times that there's a whole lot of Minecraft in Stardew Valley, however, I've never seen that game described as inspired by Minecraft, nor any mentions of it. Yonder is described as:

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is a friendly adventure full of farming, building, exploring, fishing, and cuddly animals. We had a chat with developers of the kid-friendly title bound for Steam.
    Farming... check
    Building... check
    Exploring... check
    Fishing... check
    Cute animals... check
    Kid friendly... check
    Has RPG elements... check.

But if I said "this game is like Minecraft without combat", then my audience would likely assume it's something completely different, as sandbox, survival, crafting are key elements of the Minecraft experience, which most, if not all, of the Minecraftbuts share. The traits in common are such that, in fact, I remember reading about a Stardew Valley mod for Minecraft being developed.

As for myself, while watching at the video, the following came to mind: "The Witness" (something about the trees and color palette/effects?), "No Man's Sky" (exploration, collectibles), "Grow Home", "Beyond Good and Evil" (exploration, cute world, kid-friendly, collectibles), "Dropsy" ("open-world", is about helping others), "Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery" (freeing spirits/sprites, connection with nature).

YouTube threw at me this gameplay video, with commentary featuring people I assume to be the devs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For instance, I've argued several times that there's a whole lot of Minecraft in Stardew Valley, however, I've never seen that game described as inspired by Minecraft, nor any mentions of it. Yonder is described as:

Farming... check
    Building... check
    Exploring... check
    Fishing... check
    Cute animals... check
    Kid friendly... check
    Has RPG elements... check.

But if I said "this game is like Minecraft without combat", then my audience would likely assume it's something completely different, as sandbox, survival, crafting are key elements of the Minecraft experience, which most, if not all, of the Minecraftbuts share. The traits in common are such that, in fact, I remember reading about a Stardew Valley mod for Minecraft being developed.
    No-one compares Stardew Valley to Minecraft for two very good reasons:

1) It's basically a Western take on Harvest Moon, which existed long, long before Minecraft. All the stuff you're listing was in Harvest Moon before a single line of code had been written for Minecraft. So people ignoring your comparison are doing so for a good reason. There's no earthly reason to believe that anything in Stardew Valley is inspired by Minecraft (AFAICT), when the actual game cited as it's actual inspiration is right there! There's a bit of Secret of Mana and stuff in there too.

It'd be like me trying to suggest a futuristic third-person shooter was clearly inspired primarily by Mass Effect, even though it was basically a remake of Gears of War, had no conversations, and the dev had said he was primarily influenced by Gears.

There is literally not a single element of Stardew Valley that I am aware of (and bear in mind I've only played Stardew a little, and watched my wife play it, so maybe I've missed an angle) that is not closer to, usually far, far, far closer to Harvest Moon, than Minecraft. I am taking it you are pretty much unfamiliar with Harvest Moon as anything but a name and vague concept though?

2) None of the things you listed defines Minecraft - blocks do. And loads of other games have those elements, including ones that predate Minecraft.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dig a lot of about this but not really the visuals/art style. And that's a big deal for a game where you are basically just running around feeling immersed and enjoying the experience.

The landscape looks pretty gorgeous although the details aren't exceptional. The characters, that little sprite and particularly the cow thing that is basically just a smooth brown blob really don't engender any feelings of anything though. This is hardly unusual among non-AAA games but yeah, kind of an issue when the game is basically just about having fun in a cool fantasy space.

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    No-one compares Stardew Valley to Minecraft for two very good reasons:
    That a Stardew Valley mod exists and that people want it clearly invalidates this point, even if it wasn't formulated as a sweeping generalization that you couldn't possibly prove.

Now, just so everything is perfectly clear, I never set out to say that Stardew Valley should be introduced as a Minecraftbut, which seems to be the non-existent argument you're trying to demolish? because that's so patently obvious.

My post was about the general problem with conveying the nature of a game, using not too many words, to a readership with a limited attention, the problem Alice was trying to solve, and especially the issues that emerge when a game is described in terms of others.

Actually that post actually opens with:

TBH I wonder how relevant the reference to Stardew Valley may actually be
    In case you have missed that particular line.

Quote Originally Posted by LexW View Post
    There is literally not a single element of Stardew Valley that I am aware of (and bear in mind I've only played Stardew a little, and watched my wife play it, so maybe I've missed an angle) that is not closer to, usually far, far, far closer to Harvest Moon, than Minecraft. I am taking it you are pretty much unfamiliar with Harvest Moon as anything but a name and vague concept though?
    Haven't you noticed the controls being indebted with Minecraft more than they could possibly ever be with any console game?

The influence of Minecraft on game-making, BTW, is so massive and widespread, for popularizing, when not for introducing, certain elements, that it would be madness to underplay it.

As for the actual argument, one could say Skyrim is obviously closer to the other TES games than Minecraft, but that it has crafting, even if it's mechanically completely different from Minecraft's, is because of Minecraft.

A similar point could be made for countless other games and many gameplay elements, e.g. how many prominent games featured farming or survival before Minecraft? the whole survival genre basically exists because of it, and the majority doesn't feature blocks.

Minecraft was/is so huge that its influence, whether one notices it or not, is basically everywhere, and it will keep being the case, probably for decades.
    Last edited by alms; 14-03-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Haven't you noticed the controls being indebted with Minecraft more than they could possibly ever be with any console game?
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but Stardew Valley's controls are very clearly directly cribbed from Harvest Moon. I mean, they're a lot sloppier than HM's for some reason, but otherwise it's the exact same thing.

I can't seem to find a video of a Harvest Moon game having a Minecraft-styled hotbar?

Nevermind that the game is atrocious to play on a controller.

I can't seem to find a video of a Harvest Moon game having a Minecraft-styled hotbar?

Nevermind that the game is atrocious to play on a controller.
    I'm mostly thinking of the little floating interaction square in front of your character. It's true that the hotbar is a bit different than the usual tool selection system in the Harvest Moon games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus GameCat's Avatar
    I'm mostly thinking of the little floating interaction square in front of your character.
    All HMs on Nintendo DS where you control your character with stylus have such a squares.

Also HM DS had "hotbar" on touchscreen, it's one of the most gloriously responsive inventory system in the history of gaming.

Why in later DS games they removed it is beyond my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    All HMs on Nintendo DS where you control your character with stylus have such a squares.
    Yes, exactly.

Hi all,

Cheryl here from the Yonder:TCC team.

I thought I'd jump in and answer a few questions.

Right now we are working on PS4 and PC via Steam. We are considering other platforms, but those will come after we launch. We're a tiny full-time team (3 ppl full-time + contract help) so maintaining two platforms is quite a hefty amount of work for the team already.

As for the Steam Page, we are working on this. Thank you for pointing this out Alms! It's been a hectic few weeks here and with one team member down for GDC + PAX and a milestone due, the Steam Page totally fell off the radar.

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments, and I'll be happy to answer other questions you have. And thanks again for the Steam Page reminder!

<3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hey! Cool and thanks for stopping by :)

Thanks for clearing up the launch platform question, and indeed as a small team you will have your hands full so good luck to you all on the release.

Ummm, please do consider a GOG release also (even if at a later date), i'll go check if Yonder is on their 'wishlist' yet and if not i will add it. Not everyone uses Steam and GOG is a great place to reach those folk :)

--------------

And here is some early gameplay from some PS4 people, for those need to see more on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrT9WlenOLg
    Last edited by ZakG; 20-03-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This game looks very promising... a much nicer version of the latest Zelda dare I say. :D
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

This looks super interesting! I'm loving this trend towards games subtracting violence since it opens up a whole new world of storytelling.