Thread: Paladins

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Paladins

So, like, it is nice to play Overwatch when I don't want to drop money on it and/or don't have the PC to run it smoothly.

Of course, I am half joking - they mix things up enough for it having a different feel. Whether it is a better feel, is a matter of taste, I suppose, but I am not averse to the idea of this cooldown-fps genre expanding.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd pay gold for a cat and mouse chase regular arena with new guns and modes. Nothing I've seen online tops those as far a shooters go.
    I'm not averse to this skill focused stuff but I find more value in their lessons of marketing and piggybacking the gameplay from various games and pop stuff anime included.
    NS2 will only reference aliens and the gorge can play some resemblance of rts, the faded and the skulk will go for stealth, marines will be gunlingers, I feel this is still the best asymmetry has given me but I guess it's not cute nor zany nor comfy enough for people to play it.
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-10-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Activated Node
    Just started this yesterday, good first impression. Overwatch seemed over simplified for me so I like they have item purchasing and cards. Of course whenever i start an online gaming I soon lose interest due to toxicity, people reading online guides (each to their own but I enjoy games far more doing what my brain can accomplish alone) and people with 1000 hours to my full-time living-with-partner pitiful amount :p.

Activated Node
    I also miss arena shooters. Everything is teams these days! Old man says Ut2004 ftw :p...

Network Hub
    I really like Paladins - it's my go to game if I only have 30 mins free

Feel free to add me - In game name: Fleabag

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd pay gold for a cat and mouse chase regular arena with new guns and modes. Nothing I've seen online tops those as far a shooters go.
    TB said sometime recently that everyone says they miss arena shooters but apparently barely anyone plays them whenever some indie options appear. So there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    99% of them sucks so that's obvious, I don't care what TB says :p
    Last edited by Wenz; 17-10-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fun contrast that I just realized:

Overwatch was widely praised (and criticized) for including women with non-standard body types. It felt a bit tokenish but it was there.

Women in Paladins, on the other hand, consist solely of cute fantasy quasi-anime girls. Funny how it now feels off! Thanks, Blizzard!

I got a code that unlocks Buck and a Commando skin on this game, as I don't play it it's up for grabs whoever asks first.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2uk View Post
    I got a code that unlocks Buck and a Commando skin on this game, as I don't play it it's up for grabs whoever asks first.
    Could I grab it please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Could I grab it please?
    Sent you a Private Message

oh! There IS a thread for this. Good then.

I mean I'm late to the party here, though the game is still in Early Access. So whatever.

Anyone still playing this - or interested in starting?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    TB said sometime recently that everyone says they miss arena shooters but apparently barely anyone plays them whenever some indie options appear. So there.
    The trouble is, I feel, the larger group of people miss an experience that is not the same as the experience that SRS BSNS arena-shooter obsessives like. They miss a messy, fun, back-and-forth deathmatch or team deathmatch or maybe capture the whotsit game, where everyone died sometimes and often amusingly.

But every single arena-shooter I've seen come out (including Early Access) in the last few years has been very tightly targeted at the obsessives (possibly excepting the new UT, I haven't actually tried that), which means most people will go in there go "What, what is going on? Ahhh, I died!" then die a bunch of times as some maniac who has been playing arena shooters solidly since QuakeWorld blows them to smithereens - along with all the other non-expert players. Which is of course part of the charm of arena shooters if you are the maniac (as I was in younger days), but if not... Matchmaking can help but I suspect only so much, and a lot of indie ones don't do it or can't do it effectively due to small populations.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Fun contrast that I just realized:

Overwatch was widely praised (and criticized) for including women with non-standard body types. It felt a bit tokenish but it was there.

Women in Paladins, on the other hand, consist solely of cute fantasy quasi-anime girls. Funny how it now feels off! Thanks, Blizzard!
    That Blizzard have more or less single-handedly raised the bar on body-shape and to some extent ethnic and cultural diversity in shooters is one of the strangest twists of fate in history, I swear. Good though!

I have heard about paladins what is it exactly? Moba? or FPS?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by benthe13th View Post
    I have heard about paladins what is it exactly? Moba? or FPS?
    "Hero shooter". Class-based FPS, like Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch.

gah, I'm 18 hrs into Paladins now and 100% hooked. If anyone's on the fence, y'all should check it out. Totally free. No money to spend. No P2W. Just wicked fun.

Seriously? No one wants to play this? It's fun. I promise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Plenty of people play it, but I am betting most folks here are too old for competitive shooters, har har har. I played it for a few weeks but got tired of getting murdered by kids. More seriously, my pc is old and i get bad fps in those games, exacerbating other problems.

Fun game, tho.