Obscure Node

I didn't enjoy Bioshock very much, but Might I like Prey?

Ok, so I don't know if this is a hip idea for a thread or not but I'm in a bit of a dilemma over Prey.

The RPS articles I've read really make it sound like a game I might want to drop 50 bucks on, but as someone who found the Bioshock series not especially entertaining the comparisons are putting me off. If it's really got a lot of Bioshock in it I don't want to bother until it's discounted.

Basically I found Bioshock just very superficial and heavy on not very interesting combat. Didn't give a crap about the story or any of the characters. Does the puzzle aspect of Prey make it a different animal?

I had a wicked time with Dishonored on my first run but I think the shine has come off that for me and I don't really fancy the second one. Mass Effect puts me to sleep. I got quite into the latest Deus Ex and the first one is an all time favourite. Bloodlines is a massive favourite but I haven't seen a game much like it since. Witcher III I've appreciated but I've been 6 or 7 hours in for months without getting much of an urge to return to it.

So all this stuff about Prey being a bit of a different experience, less formulaic, restoring interest in games for tired gaming veterans and so forth sounds really good, but I'm wary of the subjective nature of things of this sort.

What say you, people of RPS?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus zanchito's Avatar
    I'm the same as you, Bioshock didn't work for me, don't ask me why, Dishonored 1 was awesome, 2 felt a bit meh for some reason.

Prey is feeling quite good so far but I'm still only a few hours in it.
    Steam: Zanchito || Guild Wars 2: Gatonegro || The Secret World: Mescalitoh || Elite Dangerous: CMDR Zanchito

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I have the exact same opinion as Zanchito. I found Bioshock ok, Dishonored 1 awesome and 2 just ok. But 10 hours into it, I really really like Prey. It has a wonderful and interconnected world which is the star of the game, it feels very much like a Souls world to me. Shooting is ok, serviceable but not in a bad way. It is not a horror game, if anything the feeling I get is same to what Half Life the first offered to me. Really loving the game.

Obscure Node
    Hmm, thanks guys.

Confession : I haven't played any of the Souls games. I've looked at a bunch of youtubes and the overwhelming impression I get is of grinding combat. That just doesn't look inviting to me, despite the massive reputation. I'll grind away for days at a sports game like Virtual Pool or Don Bradman Cricket, but no combat game has yet hit the same spot. The nearest would be something like Far Cry or Crisis where I liked the tactical options, hiding in the bushes and carefully picking off targets. Or maybe Half Life 2, where setting up my turrets in just the right spot to negate the next wave of enemies kept me happy for hours at a time.

Another more recent game I love : Consortium. The sense of place and intricate possibilities for interacting with npcs absolutely pushed my buttons to the max. I get the impression that Prey's sense of place might similarly be a very strong point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    It's good. There's no "puzzle aspect", unless you consider the Gordian knot a puzzle.

How Systemshocky Prey actually is?
    I've read many people mentioning the sacred Shock when talking about Prey but I need more confirmation before hyping myself.

Activated Node
    Depends on which aspects of System Shock you liked the most but I for one wouldn't have minded them calling it System Shock 3. The story is a bit different (less about AI, more about Aliens), but other than that... it's SciFi, on a space station where stuff has gone horribly wrong, you can upgrade yourself with various "implants" and other stuff, there are quests and side quests, lots of stuff to explore and world building via audio (and other) logs, very atmospheric and sometimes a little spooky... so yeah, basically System Shock 3.

Note I'm about 10 hours in, so no idea how it all ends yet.
    Last edited by Todd Hawks; 17-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    How Systemshocky Prey actually is?
    I've read many people mentioning the sacred Shock when talking about Prey but I need more confirmation before hyping myself.
    It's a solid but not incredibly exciting game. But to be honest all System Shock games for me were never much more than that. Even though first System Shock was an important game for me in terms of style, music etc (that intro had a huge impact on me). But after Deus Ex I don't want to go back to space stations.

Prey is much Better compared BioShock