Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NieR: Automata / Near A Tomato

NieR: Automata is.. So very good.

I've only just started the second level (so, where the PS4 demo leaves off), but it's clear that Platinum have learnt well what worked & didn't in the combat in their previous games, and mashed it up in an initially-wtf but fascinating way with a love letter to Radiant Silvergun & Ikaruga, splicing in bullet hell segments with third-person beat-em-up stuff that easily rivals their best work to date.

It's also quite heavily dedicated to being an action RPG, with a slowly branching set of side characters, promises-to-be-wtf scifi plot, an obligatory crafting system and (oddly) buying HUD elements, which makes some sense in the fiction, given that you're an android, and you upgrade your flying robot assistant (while hunting robots, that are evil, doncha know), so upgrading yourself in a similar fashion makes sense.

The other big combat change from previous titles is aside from picking your weapons, you weild two at once, and get to chop and change which two those are, having 2 sets you can swap between on the fly, with which weapon is Light & Heavy attacks making completely different combos & timing requirements, which adds a lot I suspect to the game's replayability. (There's also cores on your robo-buddy and fusion and all this other stuff in the RPG shop-bit that I've not even touched yet.)

I'm liking it a lot so far. It's got an inherent-fun to it that few beat em ups have since Bayonetta 1, Ninja Gaiden (the initial one & its expanded-versions on the XBox/Vita/PS3/etc, not the sequels, nor the original NES games) and God Hand. I suspect a lot of non-fans or newcomers to the genre would bounce off of it hard- It doesn't go out of its way to explain its combat system, and a lot of it I only sussed out from having watched the demo playthrough that RPS linked a while ago. I suspect if I a) hadn't played so many 3pbemups in the past and b) hadn't seen the demo, I'd be kinda aggravated and have to replay the first level a few times.

So far I'm finding Normal challenging but not frustrating- I haven't died yet, but mostly due to the copious amount of health I was given at the start of level 1, and having watched someone else do it & listened to their explaining the systems. I suspect things will ramp up very quickly.

What are people's impressions so far? Please white out Spoilers, since it's a plot-intensive new game & all that.
    Last edited by Dilapinated; 17-03-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    Steam: Dilapinated

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I want to know something.

Platinums games, along with Ninja Theory have balanced their 'Exhibition Fighters' with judgement. Oh, you didn't do 15 different combos? I'm afraid I'm going to end the level by telling you how shit you are, rather than you know creating an interesting set of challenges to overcome.

So does (You say) near a tomato, commit this sin? Does it poop on your time score from a great height for having a look around the levels, does it review you for using any skill for more than exactly 1/8th of the kills, does it have secrets hidden within incongruous environmental puzzles while punishing your high score for anything less than haste.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Best thread sub title ever!
    I'll definitely get the game at some point. I've seen quite a few complaints about crashes, have you encountered any?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

Platinums games, along with Ninja Theory have balanced their 'Exhibition Fighters' with judgement. Oh, you didn't do 15 different combos? I'm afraid I'm going to end the level by telling you how shit you are, rather than you know creating an interesting set of challenges to overcome.

So does (You say) near a tomato, commit this sin? Does it poop on your time score from a great height for having a look around the levels, does it review you for using any skill for more than exactly 1/8th of the kills, does it have secrets hidden within incongruous environmental puzzles while punishing your high score for anything less than haste.
    I'm not sure what you mean- Can you give some examples?

I remember that Bayonetta was pretty tight in terms of requirements for high-scores, but I think generally that I go into score-runs with a different mindset than exploring ones (generally after I've played through the plot already, unless I need to go back and grab resources). So far I haven't noticed a running score- I'm sure there is one somewhere, but either I haven't unlocked the HUD element, or whatever..

Either way, the end of each mission doesn't rank you.

I haven't personally, but I know people who have. It's possible it interacts badly with Radeon 400-series graphics cards- HaxtonFail on Discord mentioned a lot of people seemed to share that trait & have crashing.

EDIT: - Oops, double-post.

Interestingly, no! Nier does not have a combo indicator, it does not rate your performance, and it is in fact completely unconcerned with how you complete its combat encounters, if you choose to engage in combat at all. You are free to roam its sprawling (but mostly empty) open world to hoover up the random bits of upgrade material that it constantly scatters on the ground. There are no environmental puzzles, except if you consider the odd platforming challenge a puzzle. Don't expect to be able to use your acrobatics to reach any high place though, most of the world is gated off with invisible walls, making almost every elevated flat surface and ruined apartment building with wide-open doorways inaccessible.

I haven't played the game myself, but I've watched streams of the PS4 version, and what I saw did not appeal to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it's gonna be a very rare case of me buying an AAA priced game without waiting for a sale.

Also dat OST.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilapinated View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean- Can you give some examples?
    As you said Bayonetta, MG:Revengengenencinationing, DMC. And yeah, that's my range.
    I am once again writing a blog, vaguely about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    I think it's gonna be a very rare case of me buying an AAA priced game without waiting for a sale.

Also dat OST.
    Best thing about the game, by far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Procrastination Giant's Avatar
    My first impressions after a handful of hours are pretty much entirely positive so far. Gameplay feels tight and extremely satisfying, as one would expect from a Platinum game - I'm actually surprised how... not-annoying the camera transitions and sudden gameplay shifts are so far? On paper sudden transitions from brawler to top down twinstick bullet hell and back sound like a recipe for disaster and incredibly gimmicky, but they somehow managed to make it feel absolutely glorious. What I've seen of the worldbuilding and overall story so far is about as weird and fascinating as I expected it to be after seeing a handful of Yoko Taro interviews and such - For some reason even the sparse level design actually works in its favor in that regard. And yeah... well... That soundtrack is something, alright!

Shame about the technical issues some people seem to be having, but I seem to be lucky so far in that regard. No crashes yet *knocks on wood* and no other technical issues either, so it appears to be running just fine on my system (i7 4790k, Geforce 1070) - Playing at 1080p with everything maxed out and haven't seen a single dip below 60fps yet... Not counting the prerendered videos of course, which sadly run at 30 fps and look signficantly worse than the game itself.
    Bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful!
    Poke me on Steam, if you must.

I'm hearing it basically doesn't work at 4k, can anyone tell me what I can expect if I buy, using a 4k g-sync on a GTX 970, are there resolution scaling options or do you have to change res the old fashioned way?
    Steam ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Origin ID: Sp4rkR4t
    Battle.net ID : Sp4rkR4t#1773
    uPlay: Sp4rkR4t
    Nintendo friend code: 2638-4485-2926

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BillButNotBen's Avatar
    The promo art / gothic lolita style main characters are kinda offputting at first glance... but if the game is about being near a tomato then it's definitely more appealing than I first thought.
    Last edited by BillButNotBen; 18-03-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    The promo art / gothic lolita style main characters are kinda offputting at first glance... but if the game is about being near a tomato then it's definitely more appealing than I first though.
    Same re: off-putting. If it wasn't for the characters, I'd have bought Near A Tomato already, based on what people are saying. Well, the PC port sounds pretty dodge too but most issues have a fix at least (unlike a lot of bad PC ports).

Still if I end up not getting ME:A this is my fallback game for sure.

I played this on ps4, combat disappointed me a lot, i expected much more from platinum really :\ It's not bad by any means, it's actually fun, but i expected much more and i can't get over a couple major flaws (you can' launch enemies higher level than you, and the perfect dodge ---> counter quite too many times doesn't work, and it just doesn't have iframes during the counter attack, so you can actually get punished for playing right, kinda baffling)

it's a weird game. It has moments of brilliance but a few too many instances where the game just goes against the player and left me wondering "wha the fuck were they thinking, how could they possibly think this was a nice sgment to play".

Story wise i liked, i don't see the art and the brilliance other do in this tbh, but it touches interesting topics, albeit in a way that at times feels a bit too... i don't know how to put it, but it's the kind of things that in my mind would make a 16 years old go "oh so profound, so meaningful"... not so much in my 30s.

NG+ is fucking tedious, NG++ is very good (except a couple moments that are probably the absolute worst i played in recent years), but the characters' development left me unsatisfied in ways i won't spoil.

It's an oddball this game. I distinctly remeber having to force myself to continue playing in a few instances, but a few days later i sort of look back on the whole thing with nostalgia.

The OST is among the best i can recall.

edit: also i'm loving how you english speakers are fucking the title up xD
    Last edited by BrotherPazzo; 18-03-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherPazzo View Post
    I played this on ps4, combat disappointed me a lot, i expected much more from platinum really :\ It's not bad by any means, it's actually fun, but i expected much more and i can't get over a couple major flaws (you can' launch enemies higher level than you, and the perfect dodge ---> counter quite too many times doesn't work, and it just doesn't have iframes during the counter attack, so you can actually get punished for playing right, kinda baffling)
    There are times when counterattacking isn't 'playing right'- Just because you have the opportunity to do something, doesn't mean you should always do it. Countering after a dodge is an option, but dodging is also a mobility tool & a just plain "ohshi-" dodge. Assess your surroundings, decide if it's smart to follow up with a counter, and if so, what sort; The aerial ones tend to be safer, but that's rule of thumb rather than "always".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4rkR4t View Post
    I'm hearing it basically doesn't work at 4k, can anyone tell me what I can expect if I buy, using a 4k g-sync on a GTX 970, are there resolution scaling options or do you have to change res the old fashioned way?
    I don't know about 4k, but in full screen the game appears to ignore your resolution setting and instead just stretches a 1600x900 image. If you want the proper resolution with full screen, then you have to use a program like Borderless Gaming.

Personally running the game over an HDMI cable to a TV monitor appears to confirm the faulty full screen resolution. My monitor supports 1360x768, but setting the game to that resolution and running it full screen causes the monitor to switch to 1080p display mode. (That TV monitor doesn't support 1600x900, and instead stretches it to 1080p.) The blurriness produced certainly seems to fit a 1600x900 stretched to 1080p, as well.

If 1600x900 sounds like a weird resolution to lock for full screen, apparently that is the resolution that the PS4 version of the game used.
    Last edited by Baines; 18-03-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Best thing about the game, by far.

Your thoughts on it? Not planning to buy or defend or anything.

Also does this ring true?
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ni...er-review.aspx
    Last edited by Wenz; 18-03-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Your thoughts on it? Not planning to buy or defend or anything.

Also does this ring true?
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ni...er-review.aspx
    Caveat: Have not played, only watched. That review sums it up. Nier: Automata is 15 hours of a good game interspersed with 20-25 hours of tedium. While watching it, I was initially unimpressed but by the time it rolled around to NG+2 I was quite invested in the characters and wanted to see the conclusion, although I'm convinced I wouldn't actually enjoy playing it at all. It takes the existential robots premise of The Talos Principle and then goes balls-to-the-wall bonkers with it, in a way that regularly glances in the direction of the profound but never actually goes there. But it does stay interesting, almost never in the way of "That's something worth thinking about," but always "That's something I didn't expect to see."

I played a little bit. The levels are mostly simple/functional arenas and hallways between them and the colors (in the beginning bit I played anyway) were mostly the same. But they still manage to feel really dynamic as the camera tumbles around and locks into different angles. It was really promising.

I just couldn't deal with the freezing, especially in combination with the lack of any checkpoints. I experimented with the settings a bit (windowed mode *EWW* helped a little), but I'm gonna wait a little bit for a patch. If there isn't something more than a token patch then I'm getting a refund.

Sounds like a great game severely hampered by many technical issues. I'll pick it up after performance is a little better or the price is $30 - $40.
    ~