Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Time Rodent" - driving survival

Time Rodent is a "game" currently in early development - based on the short animation film of the same name (out in May 2015).
    At the base, it's an open-world driving simulation where the player embarks on a long journey of information-gathering through exploration. One of the key gameplay elements are intense, 70's movies style, car chases with challenging AI opponents:

So, slowly, I've begun sniffing around the internets for some feedback and would love to read what you think/feel! :)

Cheers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I love it, especially lighting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    That looks very cool :)

Although obviously this game is rather early in development, I'd absolutely love to see an in-car view. Aside from that, it looks absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you very much for your thoughts! :)
    Here's a quick in-car view test:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Could you write something more about this game? Why they're chasing us and what will happen when we fail to get away from them?

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Could you write something more about this game? Why they're chasing us and what will happen when we fail to get away from them?
    They're chasing us for food (Time Rodent) and ressources (the car). If we fail to get away: death.

The game takes place in a world where sunlight has gradually become obscured by a permanent layer of thick clouds, fog and dust. While some inhabitants still try to survive in the countryside, most humans have tried escaping to big cities which provide abundant artificial light and lab-grown food.

Some terrain deformation tests I did a while ago - could be a cool feature maybe:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Keep up with good work.

Happy holidays and all the very best for 2015 :)

This looks properly cool.
    Dirt Rally: The League!
    "Having a creative vision doesn’t mean rejecting good ideas when you recognize them. In fact stubbornly sticking to the original vision in the face of better ideas is a sign of an insecure or egotistical artist, and is the kind of thinking that got us Daikatana." - KillahMate

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You're making it in Unity, right? Are you using the standard wheel colliders or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    You're making it in Unity, right? Are you using the standard wheel colliders or something else?
    Yes, Unity. For the car physics, I'm using CarX (http://www.carx-tech.com/licensing-c...ics-engine-eng) which is raycast-based.
    Last edited by Soul Challenger; 11-01-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Here's a brand new gameplay trailer showcasing the car-chase part of the game:

The NPC's are starting to drive better than the player :) while maintaining a lively and risky driving style.

Personally, I find it disappointing, how easy it is to escape NPC's (cops, villains) in most open-world "driving games" (GTA, Mafia, TDU..). Although those games do compensate with quantity over quality, and cheating on the physics, the car chases don't feel genuine at all.

Anyone feels the same?
    Last edited by Soul Challenger; 13-01-2016 at 02:39 AM.

The lighting and artstyle is great, hoping to hear more deeper reasons for the conflict, or possibly something in the car combat that no other game does.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiteGoneJin View Post
    The lighting and artstyle is great, hoping to hear more deeper reasons for the conflict
    Thanks :). One of the goals is to discover what happened to all lifeforms when sunlight disappeared. Although the slowly decaying countryside has become barren, some of it's inhabitants have stayed and formed micro-societies tapping the natural resources in the region to produce energy -> artificial light -> food.
    Due to the absence of law-enforcement, gangs hungry for anything of value have formed.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiteGoneJin View Post
    or possibly something in the car combat that no other game does.
    One of my biggest priorities was to achieve a believable, human-like behavior of the NPC drivers. For me and other gamers with whom I've discussed this, one thing that is disappointing and immersion-braking in open-world driving games is bad AI. It's either too dumb or strongly cheating the physics, or both. Take Driver:SF for example. You can drive like a god but the cop cars chasing you will have extraterrestrial acceleration capabilities, coupled with a car mass of a locomotive and tires covered with suction cups. It just feels too unfair, and although a subjective notion: not fun.

In summary: the NPC's AI is fully natural with no "cheat" abilities, but it's still good enough to keep up with a player. That's a feature I have personally never seen in any other open-world game.