I hadn't seen any footage of Trench Run [official site] until I clicked on the trailer around five minutes ago and it immediately became one of the most exciting games to be released in the near future. The very near future in fact - it'll be on Steam tomorrow.
Why so excited? Well, Trench Run is a multiplayer side-scrolling action game that looks like the perfect combination of Transhuman's own Soldat and the exquisite Broforce. You can fight with knives, guns and explosives, but you can also go to the bar with your mates when the dust has settled, and buy a pet dog.
I want an insult-parrot! I want to play basketball with my opponents after blowing them to bits to show that there are no hard feelings. I want to know why a crocodile is parachuting into the arena - presumably so that it can cause chompy chaos, sure, and if so I want to see that chompy chaos for myself.
You can buy the game now, direct from the developers, and they'll send you a Steam key as soon as the game is available there (TOMORROW). If you want to check how the whole thing works, you can download the offline client right now.
Here's a fun feature list:
- Unique team-based "Run" mode for 2-10 players
- Free-for-all Skirmish mode for 1-4 players (perfect for a fun evening with friends)
- 5 classes with special skills to choose from (Assault, Sniper, -Demolitions, Commando and Medic)
- Semi-random destructible maps
- Down on the ground? Grab a medikit and continue fighting!
- Play basketball and meet new friends between rounds
- Spend coins on drinks and cigarettes from the VIP bar
- Buy customized costumes and pet animals
- Local couch-based and online multiplayer available
- Designed to be easy to pick up and play
Hopefully an appearance on Steam will mean a big enough playerbase to provide jollity at all times.