Deux Ex 3: Inflammatory Hit-Chasing Quote Special

By Kieron Gillen on October 23rd, 2008 at 1:17 pm.

Well, everyone else is doing it, we probably should too.

The forthcoming issue of videogame bible Edge has a large feature on Eidos Montreal’s development of Deus Ex 3. To tease it, Edge Online runs a short story with the headline “Deus Ex was “Kinda Slow” Says Deus Ex 3 Dev” before offering a quote from Lead Designer Jean-Francois Dugas: “There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”. Internet explodes.

It is only part of the story. In a literal sense.

Because it’s a self-stated teaser of a much larger feature in the magazine, which shows much more light and shade. Hell, there’s material enough to be inflamatory in completely the opposite away. Edit the following quote down and you have a “Deus Ex 3 Lead Designer calls out Warren Spector and Harvey Smith quote”…

“They tried to console-ise it, but their way of doing this was to drop a lot of stuff and cut out a lot of the tactical management of the game…

In fact, even later in the tiny snippet, they include the bit that folllows that quote: “At this point we don’t know exactly which platforms we’re going to be out on. The PC, we’ll be there for sure. But for us, console-isation isn’t about dumbing down features. If we’re to go console we will want to keep the complexity alive. We want the menu interface and controller to feel simple without risking any of their potential”.

But no-one’s picked up on that bit, partially because it’s a bit fluffy, but mainly because of the title line being so deliberately inflammatory to immediately turn the calmest gentlefolk into Angry Internet Men before they even think of looking at the second paragraph.

Of course, these end up kicking up a storm at the DX3 forum, where Community-chap René Valen tries to calm people down…

The overall feeling I get is that people are worried DX3 is more IW/GoW than DX1. This is is not true. DX3 is more DX1 than anything. I’ve said this before but it bears repeating.

First off, yes some things are changing:

-Auto health regen (although we haven’t been told exactly how this will work…)
-Stealth to line-of-sight and sound instead of darkness
-Contextual third person elements

Maybe even just a slight change to one of these is a deal-breaker for you and I can’t change that so I’m sorry. However, if you think DX1 is much more than these three elements, then you will be happy:

-Different ways to solve any objective depending on your play style (social, hacking, stealth, or action)
-Customization of your character (augmentations) and weapons
-Deep story with a strong consipracy
-Lots of social interaction with numerous characters
-Consequences to your actions that affect things down the line
-A near future (Cyberpunk) setting
-Open levels with limited load times (think DX1 not IW)
-Random explorable elements with earned experience points
-Global travel
-More stuff I’m forgetting

His first reaction is more telling where he notes “Looks to me like a sensationalist headline to get site traffic. I can’t blame them I guess but I really wish people did a little research rather than jumping to conclusions.”

I disagree with the second point, but agree with the former totally. One of the current devices which almost all the major sites use is teasing a forthcoming feature piece with a news story, taking a quote out of context. The concept simple – they get two bites at the hits, one with one of the best quotes which may get linked by itself, the other of the feature is proper.

It’s possible to make this work – think simple confirmations of formats or features – but, in all too many cases, it’s games journalism of the lowest, most sickening order. The problem is that you sacrifice complexity and truth in order to actually get the cheapest hits. You’re deliberately distorting truth, muddying the waters and actively betraying your readers (whose fears you’re whipping into a frenzy) and the developers (Who you’re painting in the worst light you can).

This case is particularly sad. Edge is a bastion for journalism – like it or not, it’s probably the best we’ve got. The feature itself, while it includes more than enough elements to make you worry or believe in Deus Ex 3, is a complete and fair entity. The teaser isn’t. The feature shows balance and evenhandedness. The only question the teaser asks is how much outrage it can cause with the material it has available.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it’s a product of two different cultures. Magazine staff and the web staff across most publishing companies are completely separate. When it’s a case of the latter actively undermining Edge’s hard-won brand-equity, you have to question the priorities.

There’s an irony here. The real dumbing down in this Deus Ex story? It’s not from the developers. It’s from the journalists.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. dishwasherlove says:

“-Auto health regen (although we haven’t been told exactly how this will work…)”

Colour me sceptical.

2. itsallcrap says:

Halo shields!

Complete with that oh-so-helpful “you’ve left your phone off the hook, you idiot” noise to tell you when you need to hide for a bit.

3. mickiscoole says:

Every single time I read something related to DX3 on the internet I straight away go to the official DX3 forums to read a clarification from the community guy.

4. SwiftRanger says:

Well, the Edge site did team up with Next-gen some time ago. Also, this is what you get when you post certain articles under one mysterious alias (‘Edge Staff’), to start seeking the blame for this one can be confusing.

I don’t really see why they’re so highly regarded btw, especially not in terms of PC content and opinions (same counts for all the major multiplatform sites though, EG just as much). It’s a thick but still a run-of-the-mill multiplatform mag to be honest, there is no such thing as an institution because everyone screws up some time. Just basing this opinion on what I’ve read on their site and in their mag of the last few months.

5. Kieron Gillen says:

If you want the most cynical reason, Swift, it’s because they’re the only multiformat magazine on the planet which is designed in terms of looks for grown-ups.

KG

6. teo says:

that was excellent!
    I don’t get why they want 3rd person elements in the game though

7. VFIG says:

I recently played Chronicles of Riddick for the first time, and was particularly impressed by two of its design features: the health regeneration and its stealth system. You had a fixed number of health blocks (started at 4), and when you were hit the last block would shrink a bit. After three or four hits, it would disappear entirely. However, if you stood still under cover for about five seconds, the last block would go back to its full size, but you wouldn’t regain any that were lost entirely. So you would recharge your health from minor hits, but still had to worry about major damage bringing you closer to death.

Its stealth system was also well done. Being in dark areas made you harder to spot (unless you were shooting, when your muzzle flash would give you away), but you could make use of cover to remain out of the sight of enemies even in lit rooms. Enemies would also hear you if you were close by and not creeping. The stealthy bits reminded me in a good way of playing Thief, but without the here’s-how-invisible-you-are light gem.

Let’s hope DX3 has health and stealth more like these, and less like Halo and GoW.

8. Okami says:

@ auto health regen:

I really don’t see what all the fuss is about. This system is no more or less realistic or immersion breaking than the use of medikits or any other form of health power up.

Ok, so it’s not only about realism or immersion, I know. It’s usually seen as a tool to “dumb down” the game by removing the managment of the resource “health” on a macro level.

It doesn’t really matter how bad you perform during a single firefight, because you’ll be at full health for the next one. Some people thinkt, that this makes the game too easy.

Which is, of course, complete and utter nonsense. You can have a game with a pick-up based health system that’s incredibly forgiving by placing medi kits every five meters. And you can have games with auto regen that are tough as nails, because you can only take three direct hits.

Auto health regen has one incredible advantage for designers: They allways know, how much health a player will have for any given encounter. It makes individual encounters a lot easier to balance.

It also removes frustration from the game. With a pick up based health system, victories in fire fights can turn out to be phyrric in nature. Ok, so you killed all enemies, but you’re down to 3% health and there’s no way you’ll ever survive the next battle. So you reload.

Dying in a game is bad enough. But having to reload, because you’re at an effective dead end is a huge factor for frustration.

Of course, surviving on 3% health and finding a new health pickup can be an incredibly rewarding experience and it can make for some very dramatic gameplay situations for the player experiencing it. And of course you loose this in a game with auto regen.

There are other trade offs as well: Health pick ups make for convenient player rewards and a game that doesn’t feature them removes a simple yet effective reward mechanic from the level designer’s repertoire.

But there are allways trade offs for any game mechanic, I’m not saying that auto regen is the holy grail of action game design. But neither is it something bad, that’s sucking all the fun from games for us ‘core gamers in order to please the unwashed teenage console playing masses.

Sometimes, the reason why we react with disgust to changes in gameplay is because we’re reactionary old dicks who hate change

9. Orange says:

Riddick was superb, would be good to see it used as an influence.

To be honest I’m extremely sceptical of DX3, how can it be genuinely good without Warren Spector, Ion Storm and being made by Eidos? It’s a tall order.

10. Wedge says:

Really, is that how the health worked in Riddick? I only played it for a few minutes, but it’s weird because that is the EXACT same health system in the obscure artistic slash-em-up from From Software, Otogi.

And… I still have no idea how that would work in Deus Ex. But whatever. I think I’m just going to try to totally ignore this game until it comes out, instead of worrying with all this speculation and crap.

11. Urael says:

If they can deliver even 70% of their lovely list up there then I’ll be a happy man. Keep the DRM to a minimum (or away from the title entirely, he says optimistically), and this is a guaranteed purchase for me.

12. Maximum Fish says:

Could we really have expected better news for the next Deus Ex game, i mean realistically anyway? From what little i’ve read so far, it seems’ they know what they’re doing, and what made the first one so great. I would never have expected them to criticize the ‘consolisation’ of IW (even though it is more than warranted), or to bring back the “tactical management” elements. I’m always cynical when they do sequels to great games like Deus Ex, but this is far more promising than it is worrying.

13. Wookie_Wookstar (Big D) says:

I’ve just been playing DX1 this last week, I had not played it since about the late end of 2001. Its so awesome, I did not bother with DX:IW, once I found out they they had a one ammo type system that was it!

KG – I remember you where involved in a project to make a mod for DX, I was going to be involved to but started a new job before I could do any graphics/textures for it, a great shame I did not stick with it. What happened to that in the end? Do you remember the project in question for a start!?

I have high hopes for DX3, time will tell if they are to high!

14. AsubstanceD says:

Its not the fact that health regen is unrealistic that makes me unhappy, even normal health with medikits would make me happy. I don’t understand why they took out the original health which corresponded to different parts of the body, it was brilliant, I’ll never forget the time I had to choose whether to escape a building through it or by the jumping down onto different roofs, and on the last jump to the ground it was too high and I lost my legs, as the cops were chasing behind me! Magic. Of course that was the only memorable moment of that slow slow game. sigh

If anything working with augmentations that affect different parts of the body they should have involved the individual health to be affected by the health of the body part at the time. It just seems to me that they think that making action faster will make it more interesting.

15. hydra9 says:

Re: 3rd person elements.

I have to bring up (the excellent) Riddick again. It included 3rd person elements, used when you were climbing or doing various activities (e.g. using a medical station). These changes of perspective fit perfectly into the game and actually helped to add a feeling of dynamism and fluidity, as well as a stronger connection to the character. Well, that’s what I thought, anyway.

16. subedii says:

I’m glad you point this out. Frankly this is happening more and more, and not just in entertainment mags, but in newspapers and even supposedly “respectable” broadsheets. They bait the subject with incendiary titles and hyperbole and hope to get more views.

You have to wonder at the lack of self-respect a journalist has to have to deliberately mislead for the sake of a few more views.

17. Gorgeras says:

Health regen is explicitly a design element that encourages direct combat and discourages the non-confrontational approach that made everyone fall in love with Deus Ex. Combat was awful, unless you were doing it a certain way, a certain way which health regen doesn’t like.

People who excessively use the cloak in Crysis make me laugh. Not only do they use it in thick cover where they simply aren’t going to be spotted until it’s too late; their second most used mode tends to be the pathetic Armour. But the truth is that thanks to Crysis giving you generous health and energy regen, you only need two modes, ever: speed and strength. Choose speed and as long as you aren’t the kind of person to that chews their hand, you will not get hit 95% of the time. Try charging into a group of KPA with speed mode. I’m the Juggernaut, bitch!

With strength, even a dustbin is WMD. Regen makes these two abilities massively powerful, whilst if health and energy was dependent on collecting resources it would be Armour and Cloak that were more powerful.

It’s a universal law; health regen is for idiots that want to be Neo(as Shiny well-understood when they made EtM health regen based) and go in shooting guns blazing, pretty colours, explosions and then they take cover to magically Wolverine-ise their wounds before doing it again.

Would Hitman:BM have been the same game if Mr 47 did not have a very fragile body with only the most narrowest margin for escaping death a limited number of times? No.

Deus Ex was best played on Realistic, where the sensible person became a Master in Medicine as soon as possible so they could sew their legs back on after making a small slip-up. We’ll never see that again because people these days just do not get it.

18. Jonas says:

I gotta admit the Edge article came dangerously close to making me an Angry Internet Man. I’m really doing my best to be open minded about this whole DX3 business, but I have so much invested in the franchise…

19. Ergates says:

When will people (especially journalists) learn, that once you’ve whipped an angry mob into a frenzy you can’t control them. Once the AIM are roused, they won’t listen to reason or truth, all they know is rage, all they want is blood.

@Alec – I honestly can work out if the irony is deliberate or not…

20. The Sombrero Kid says:

nice bit of NSJ there!

i think Gears of War 3 Deus Ex 3 should have more chainsawing and casual racism and Kick Ass intellectual stuff ‘n’ shit, they should change the name, though this is America not latte we speak Emerican here and that’s the language our games should use! i don’t speak latte-in and i don’t want to speak it, only terrorists speak osama bin latte-in!!!!!!!!! whine whine fallout 3 whine whine ruining this whine ruining that whine cash cow whine eidos whine morally bankrupt whine whine whine!

i belive that’s the response they were looking for, i’d hate to let them down

21. roBurky says:

Does everyone forget that Deus Ex had health regen? It was just an optional upgrade, rather than a default ability.

22. Jonas says:

The regen aug actually changed the game significantly. Playing without the regen aug required a significantly more careful approach than playing with it, and the beauty of that aug is that you choose to install it. Meaning if you’re among the many players who think it makes the game too easy and encourage a too gung-ho play style, you can simply choose not to install it! Everybody wins!

Plus, let’s not forget that the health regen aug drains precious bio electricity, whereas presumably DX3′s autoheal will be automatic and free. Resource management is quite fundamental to pretty much all of Deus Ex’s gameplay, so the old regen aug fits quite snugly into that by letting you exchange “energy” resources for “health” resources, even if you don’t think about it that way while playing :)

23. Morph says:

Auto-heal doesn’t encourage guns blazing gameplay, it just allows for it. If you want to stealth past things then do so, and there’s no need to be jealous of those who want to run around shooting things. Look, it says that there are different ways of solving things (stealth, combat etc), so that should appeal to everyone.

I’m looking forward to DX3, and I’m a rampant ‘DX was bestest game eva’ fanboy. I even put off playing IW for ages because of the negative press, until I was persuaded to give it a go earlier this year and enjoyed it a lot. I wish people would be optimistic about sequels.

And yeah, shame on Edge for stoking the fires of pessimism.

On the other hand I hope the designers don’t really feel the need to force ‘exciting, memorable moments.’ I remember plenty of moments from my games, not scripted, but things that happened because of the way I played. Not too many set-pieces please.

24. OldFossil says:

I wish more games would try different health regen strategies somewhere between none at all and the full/fast Halo/COD4 style health regen. For example, STALKER has a nice balance.. there is still lots of health management and tradeoffs aplenty, but if you get in the 3% left situation and are out of medkits, there is a slow health regen so you can keep playing. Also, the system in FEAR (which they’ve recently reverted to for FEAR 2) strikes me as a good solution. Regen up to a minimum level so that you are never completely vulnerable in any battle, but no regen above that level so you are still motivated to avoid excessive damage and manage your medkits appropriately.

Hopefully DX3 is using a smart health regen strategy like those games and not a dumbed down Halo style system (which, IMO, leads to way MORE reloads, since every enemy encounter has to have the potential to take out your entire health bar)

25. suchchoices says:

whereas in comparison, the original deus ex had many minor and not so minor features that were a bit daft or broken, but it was still wonderful

- detailed health model featuring locational damage and the ability to regrow your legs by drinking from fountains
    - tragic ai
    - virtually limitless supply of exploding crates

26. The Sombrero Kid says:

@suchchoices
    shhhhhoooooossssshhh you FeemBlaster!

27. Dante says:

Time to anger the internet men, but I like auto health regen, I think it’s great, I think more games should have it. It lets you consider each firefight on it’s own terms, rather than getting stuck on one particular section because you’ve not healed up fully from the last time. Plus it means developers don’t have to spend ages carefully placing their first aid kits aware that merely forgetting one at a vital point can result in ungainly spikes of difficulty. It’s win win.

You know what else is great? First person/third person cover systems, like in the new Rainbow 6 games (the context I believe the developers are referring to). I remember the first time I played the demo for Vegas I went out and bought the game because the system was so simple, so sensible a way to do tactical combat that games in which you couldn’t take cover suddenly felt ungainly and dated.

Notice the references to Rainbow 6: Vegas there? There’s a reason for that, it’s a game about tactical fighting with multiple entrances in which you can die quickly if you’re not careful (and even if you are) . It might be more combat centric than Deus Ex, but it’s certainly not mindless run and gun, which is what some people seem to think these choices mean.

Not all games with health regen are Halo boys, think a little before judging.

28. Tinter says:

roBurky: Right, but the health regen upgrade used another resource to transfer to health, so there was still a resource managment element rather than being totally free.

Although is was completly broken and overpowered by the endgame. However most of the game you were without it.

Yes, I think this is a move away from the way things should be. But with Deus Exs awful AI health was never really an issue anyway, beyond realistic making total frontal assaults tricky- something that needn’t be changed by this. I always had more medkits and biocells than I could carry before too long.

However, it does mean I will no longer be able to go into a bar and drink every alcoholic beverage present until my screen is almost totally black when I am really in need of healing. I think thats a loss for everyone.

29. suchchoices says:

to be fair, the time when I’d appropriated a crate of boom for lockpicking duties, and then had to re-purpose it as impromptu peacekeeping boom to deal with a surprise terrorist, consequently losing my legs, was hilarious.

damn that first level was grand.

30. AsubstanceD says:

whats the point of having really open environments if the effects of going through one dangerous area are negated as soon as you arrive to another part near by with no cost at all. Personally I want to feel like encounters close together are part of a whole challenge and not separate unrelated challenges where I never have to think about what might follow. It would be like having a spare uber gun with ammo that recharges really quick, it just detracts from tension and the flowing together of parts of the game.

detailed health model featuring locational damage and the ability to regrow your legs by drinking from fountains — the second bit wasn’t good, but I still say locational health model was great

Also AI in deus ex was not awful in my opinion. mostly anyway.

31. AsubstanceD says:

Also Rainbow 6 Vegas was not the least bit tactical.

32. Urael says:

Maximum Fish said “From what little i’ve read so far, it seems’ they know what they’re doing, and what made the first one so great. I would never have expected them to criticize the ‘consolisation’ of IW (even though it is more than warranted)”

Abso-bally-lutey! People forget it was the Great Spector in charge during IW’s development. It was he who painfully ham-strung his own creation, and he deserves every piece of criticism he got for it. Seeing these new developers take them to task for it makes tickles me in that private happy place, the one that throbs when I get the sense Developers are reading my mind about what I want in a forthcoming game…

33. Dante says:

Don’t you dare take my exploding boxes away choices! I love them too much.

Once again, auto health regen does not encourage reckless gunplay, King Kong has health regen, Rainbow Six has health regen.

Now that I think about it, a low health that regenerates itself is the best way for DX3 to go, think about it, you can’t stay alive for a sustained firefight, but you continue if you botch taking out a guard or two, allowing you to improvise a new path.

34. AsubstanceD says:

Also people stop saying that we should accept regen health in any game we moan about that has it. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against it for certain types of games, but just because it’s vogue does not mean it is perfect for all types of games. We aren’t just angry internet people… we have other characteristics as well! We’re people to!

35. Dracko says:

The joke here of course is that he’s absolutely right: Deus Ex was too slow.

And the last thing we need to be working on a franchise title are its hardcore fans anyway.

36. Dante says:

@ AsubstanceD

Yes it is, it’s a tactical shooter, the clue is in the name.

37. Mollusk says:

The same kind of assurances that it will retain all the choice in Deus Ex1 were made about Invisible War. People are angry because every actual concrete detail seems a little further from the spirit of Deus Ex 1, in spite of the developers’ frequent protestations that that’s what they were going after.

The lead designer making these comments is responsible for the 3 console versions of Far Cry, which introduced one-button “feral powers” and significantly more linear level design. Manufacturing “exciting, memorable moments” and aiming for “game over simulation” smacks of a philosophy antithetical to what made Deus Ex great and sounds a LOT like what we were promised with Invisible War. People are ignoring the disclaimers partially due to the irresponsible presentation Kieron’s complaining about, but mostly because they’re vague, don’t actually demonstrate that the devs understand the concerns they’re trying to silence, and because similar disclaimers were made by the actual developers of the first with respect to the awful second.

I still have some optimism about this one, but each report leaves me with more misgivings. Feel free to characterize me as Angry Internet Man though.

38. RichPowers says:

Would a geekier, videogame-lovin’ George Carlin have mentioned health-regen in his bit about the “pussification” of America? Absolutely.

39. Acosta says:

Rainbox 6 Vegas tactical?, I can clean a level with a shield and a gun without even caring for my team. Very tactical indeed. No, SWAT 4 is a tactical game, Vegas isn´t it.

More on topic, I have a problems with this project, Deus Ex is a beloved game to me, of the rare examples of hybrids that worked, which is very important for someone as me that thinks many game are too limited by their own genres. And now, after all these years of silence, Eidos decides to create a new studio and make it start with a sequel of Deus Ex no less.

Ok, fair, Deus Ex was created by a new team after all, but the design group was ex-Looking Glass and ex-Origin veterans, you could expect greatness from them and they delivered . The lead designer of Deus Ex 3 is the Creative Director of games like Rainbow Six: Vegas or Far Cry: Instinct, there is nothing remotely close to Deus Ex in his track story. Yes, “Great Spector” dropped the ball with IW, but before of that he produced games like Ultima Underworld or System Shock. You can expect Deus Ex from him. I could expect something like a proper Deus Ex sequel from him, or from Marshal Andrews, or from Steve Powers, but I have problems to expect it from Jean-Francois Dugas (and I really hope to be wrong). So when I hear something I absolutely disagree (“There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments”, what?) all my fears come outside, and I think that with a good reason.

In any case, it´s a shame that the news was an inflammatory out of context quote, I feel dissapointed and fooled by the author. I am a subscriptor of Edge and I pay near of 80 euros for the privilege for being outside UK, this is not the type of practices I expect from something that carries the Edge name.

40. jonfitt says:

Is auto health regen the new QTE? The Marmite of gaming?

Also, I skipped DX:IW, is it worth going back to at all? Was it that bad?

41. AsubstanceD says:

no really Vegas is not a tactical shooter, it involved no tactics from start to finish… well I guess the final helicopter battle on Vegas 2 did, me and my friend had to run side to side to defeat it.

42. Gorgeras says:

No, no, no, no, no. How can Morph be so wrong?

Listen, crawling on your belly at 0.2 MPH under cover in Operation Flashpoint was fun. But only because you HAD to do it. If you stood up and ran KABLOOEI! Brain-splat!

So, if the game had been different and you were in a nanosuit protecting you from tank-based insta-death, would it really be honest to say “Well oh, those who really enjoyed crawling through the game at slug pace can still do that, it just gives us the option to go guns blazing”?

In fact, you can do Hitman:BM with ready-made disguises as you arrive at the scene, giving you all-access to every area in a level and then say “Well if people like solving puzzles, they can change out of the uber-disguise and go do the challenge of obtaining another one if they like and we can do it our way”.

I’m having enough trouble dealing with this kind of muddled thinking as it’s killing Warhammer Online: people genuinely think gameplay elements can not completely cancel out other gameplay elements and pretend there is a fair, even and non-coercive choice if you just include both.

There are some things which are encouraged, to the detriment of other things, just by allowing them.

43. Dante says:

@ AsubstanceD

I get it already, you’re very, very good at games, now please don’t punish the rest of us because of it.

For a normal person like me charging ahead on Rainbow 6 will get you killed, very, very fast, health regen or no. If it doesn’t, please use the button marked ‘hard mode’ and leave the rest of us alone.

@ Gorgeras

Many missions on Hitman: Blood Money can be completed relatively easily by shooting people, but I, and many others, played for Silent Assassin ratings anyway. Not that that corresponds to your ridiculously flawed analogy. But of course you’re a man that likes the difficulty level of Operation Flashpoint, to which I can only say:

We aren’t as good as you alright? Now play on bloody hard mode and leave the rest of us to games with sensible difficulty curves! Is that too hard for you people to understand?

Oh, and nothing’s killing Warhammer Online, it’s doing fine thanks.

44. teo says:

I want it to have geometry with really sharp edges
    I think that helped define the feel of the first game. Make them higher poly if you want but not that futuristic sleek shit

45. Ergates says:

Can I just say, for the record, that I liked IW. I don’t accept that Spector “dropped the ball” with it, and I don’t really understand the amount of hatred that gets directed towards it.

Was it as good as the original? No, probably not. But it was still good. Some people seem to regard it in the same light as something like the Big Brother games – or as if IW has commited some kind of genocidal atrocity.

46. Gorgeras says:

Miss the point and all I can do in response is throw bizzarre and irrelevent slogans at you, Jack.

Play hard or play fast, because one day you will be like us.

I don’t know what people see in such inanity, but I think I see it too.

I we don’t do it for our country, someone else will do it for us, but not out country.

Owned.

47. Pags says:

Honestly, I don’t care all too much about the auto-health regen or whatever, because frankly that’s an argument nobody’s going to win; one side loudly proclaims it to dumb down gaming, the other will shout back that it removes the arcane institutions of failure within gaming. They’re just going to keep shouting and it’s not worth investing any energy in the argument.
    What I do care about though is whether this game will have any moments akin to when you’re in that apartment with Paul, and you hear those agents coming and he tells you to run. Most people ran, but you could stay and fight if you wanted to. In one small scenario you could change the game irrevocably.

48. Gorgeras says:

By the way, bring back the old editing. My keyboard errors were horrific, and so can you.

49. AsubstanceD says:

Okay Dante, I didn’t say I charged, I just meant I didn’t do anything more tactical than any other ordinary shooter. Anyway I am not insulting you, just don’t think regen belongs in every game and isn’t necessary to make the difficulty level acceptable in games.

Also right on Teo