Quake Minus: Qquak

By Jim Rossignol on July 13th, 2009 at 11:48 am.

Via Indiegames: Jan Willem Nijman’s super lo-fi Quake game, Qquak, amuses me. There’s something about the idea of creating an FPS that is lower-res than Wolfenstein that seems brilliantly perverse. Demakes often don’t follow the exact principles of the game they’re based on, but in this case it’s a fully-functional FPS, albeit in four colours. It’s also pretty entertaining: fast, and with an online score system.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. sigma83 says:

Would like a way to reduce mouse sensitivity, as that coupled with the speed at which your character moves makes it hard to control when things get crazy

2. MrBejeebus says:

I agree with sigma, but for a demake this is awesome

3. Sisyfos says:

This has nothing to do with Quake at all. This is just a bad arena-shooter with crap controls and a few uninspired weapons.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Oh right, I’d missed that bit. Lucky I had a sense of humour to shield me from the harsh realities.

5. squidlarkin says:

Way too much motion bob; this and STALKER are the only two FPS games to ever give me motion sickness. Still, third place, woo!

6. Jim Rossignol says:

You clearly haven’t played Arma II, where the default is your POV attached to a yo-yo.

7. Paul Moloney says:

With a few pixels adjusted, it could be “Horace Goes Shooting”.

P.

8. squidlarkin says:

Ah, but see, I hated the feel of that so much I uninstalled the demo before I could feel the effects. (Also, how can a slideshow make you queasy? It might be getting time to upgrade…)

9. Tei says:

I have played a few demakes. The Aquarium (for Aquaria) was good. Others.. no soo much. Always interesting for about 1 min.

I suppose I must make a demake of “Revenge of the Mutant Camels” using the Quake engine. Oooppps…

My problem with demakes is that the games I want to make a demake, are C64 games to begin first… I am too awesome for teh internets.

10. ascagnel says:

The best demake is still Gang Garrison 2. That was too awesome to be healthy and brought back fond memories of Soldat (or maybe Soldner, I forget, but it was an online side-scrolling shooter).

11. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Nice. But I’m still a sucker for 8-Bit Killer.

12. Jim Rossignol says:

8-Bit Killer is awesome.

13. Demiath says:

Looks wonderful. Sadly, I got a Blue Screen of Death error as soon as I clicked the .exe file (most likely a video driver conflict).

14. Lucas says:

That screen looks like he’s about to bag E.T.

Anyone with the lamentable experience of playing Atari’s E.T. game would rejoice at the thought, and also be annoyed to remember it at all.

15. dayeight says:

ever play jodi.org’s black and white Wolfenstein engine game? Was on the cover disc of a magazine called Mute…

16. Bobic says:

This game is underrated. I’ve been playing it for hours trying to get a better score. The music is the best part.

Comment on this story