Desert Island Fisc(al Policy): Tropico 3 Demo

By Jim Rossignol on September 11th, 2009 at 4:24 pm.

A lovely sunny demo has arrived on the shores of the internet: it’s for banana-republican management sequel Tropico 3! It’s 1.1gb in girth, and can be downloaded from here. As in previous games, you take the mantle of a benevolent dictator of a small island, and try to make the wheels of monopolistic money practices turn for both you and your citizens. The demo contains the tutorial and two missions from the full game, so it should give you a decent taste of how the full thing pans out. Have a play, let us know your thoughts.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Gap Gen says:

Hooray for Tenuo-pun!

2. Heliocentric says:

Benevolent? I win elections, not hearts. Its hardly my fault all of the other candidates are in prison, missing or dead… Except in all the ways it is my fault of course.

3. Geo says:

Downloading now … 394 megs, not 1.1 gigs.

4. ad_hominem says:

Filefront seems to be claiming it as 394 mb, but the German mirrors seem to agree with the 1.1gb size already stated. Both can’t be right, surely…

5. jti says:

Says 1.1gb on my download.

6. JJ says:

Says this for me: File size: 359.76 MB

7. Kanamit says:

Ah, just the thing to distract me from my country’s current inane political discourse.

8. Kanamit says:

I’ve got 395 MB, btw.

9. Christian says:

Hmm..the first German mirror doesn’t seem to work, the second German mirror wants to charge me € 2,50, the Dutch mirror produces a 1kb-file and the US-mirror wants me to download the next 3 hours.
    This seems..strange.

I think I’ll wait for the demo to appear on Steam or as a torrent..

10. Christian says:

Thank you, ulix.

And the last mirror also explains the size-difference: The multi-language-version is 1.1GB, while the specific single-language-demos have a varying size. Nice touch :)

11. jsutcliffe says:

Ooh, will have to give this a go tonight. This kind of game seems like exactly what I’m in the mood for.

Either that, or I should find someone selling Republic as a download.

12. theleif says:

@Christian
    On the second mirror, there is a gray download button at the bottom of the screen.

13. Christian says:

@theleif:

hehe, silly me. You’re right :) But the french mirror works like a charm, so everything’s fine.

I’m quite excited about this game, loved the first one. The only game I could play for hours with the music turned on without it getting on my nerves. I don’t get that too often, in most games I disable the music after an hour or so of playing. The second version (the one with the pirates) didn’t do so well..that game, although mostly fun, had some annoying music (which I turned silent after 2 hours of playing..a bit like Mount&Blade’s music).

I hope they got this game right..loved the concept.

14. Vinraith says:

Please oh please let this be good. The original Tropico (and its expansion) was one of my favorite city builders of all time, and probably my wife’s favorite game of any stripe. The sequel was a disappointment, albeit still a decently fun game. This release is something I’ve been both anticipating and dreading.

Downloading with fingers crossed…

15. jsutcliffe says:

@Wolfox

Well, there goes my weekend. Thanks!

16. Blast Hardcheese says:

I don’t wanna give you my thoughts, that requires thinking!

I want you to tell me yours so that I can judge the game without looking at it.

17. MWoody says:

Downloaded the 395Mb version, and it errors out when run due to a checksum fail. Anyone else confirmed it to be broken?

18. AllyC says:

Yeah, the 395mb one is broken. Just finished downloading and I get
    ‘Installer integrity check has failed’

19. Sartoris says:

Yep broken for me too. And it took it 2 hours to download. Boo.

20. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Broke for me, trying the second to last download link (the french one) and getting a pretty good speed.

21. Heliosicle says:

Been looking forward to this, hopefully its not terrible >:(

22. Karry says:

Why did the devs stopped writing system requirements on their sites ? What, is that a national secret or something ? I dont care about any features if t turns out i cant run the game, dont you think ?

23. lumpi says:

“Benevolent” might be one of my favorite words. Especially when followed by “dictator”.

24. Sartoris says:

Looks very pretty and quite true to the original. Still, I prefer 2D prettiness, and the radio guy’s comments are annoying. But I’m still looking forward to trying the whole game.

25. DMJ says:

Of course I’m a “benevolent” dictator.

The “Vote For DMJ And You Won’t Get Dragged Away In The Middle Of The Night For Beatings And Eventual Execution” Party is elected on the strength of our one-issue election pledge: Vote for DMJ and you won’t get dragged away in the middle of the night for beatings and eventual execution.

It’s a simple policy, but it’s one that the working man can grasp and really get enthusiastic about.

26. JonFitt says:

What’s that in Peggles?

27. Ivan-Assen Ivanov says:

The One True Demo is 1.1 GB, dunno how the 400 MB file came to be. It includes English, German, French, Spanish, Italian – there are no individual language versions (they would save less than 100 MB, and produce lots of confusion instead).

Minimum system requirements: 1 GB RAM, a decent CPU (e.g. a fast singlecore, or any dualcore), and a SM3.0 DX9 GPU (meaning NVIDIA 6600 or higher, ATI x1300 or higher). Doesn’t run on Intel integrated video chipsets, sorry.

28. pirate0r says:

You can also find the demo at gamershell.com and fileplanet.com

29. Thants says:

Played the demo a bit. The 3D graphics are quite pretty. It definitely seem true to the original, I don’t know if it’s too true though. As far as I’ve played it, everything is exactly the same.

Although a new version of Tropico with some of the flaws fixed up won’t be such a bad thing.

30. undead dolphin hacker says:

I liked Tropico but am averse to downloading 1.1gb at the moment. Is the 3D tasteful or is it some kind of crazy camera-swinging mess where half the keyboard is dedicated just to directing your view point?

31. Snall says:

Good game, quite like it, runs well, looks good.

32. SmokingKipper says:

http://www.gamershell.com has a link, downloaded it in 9 minutes, yeh for 6am internetz traffic!

33. Wisq says:

I only played the first one when news of the third one came out, and while I liked it quite a bit, I did find that trying to provide housing got out of control pretty fast, and the Sims-style “every citizen must actually go through their routine and physically walk everywhere” seemed not to scale very well up to larger islands.

That said, I’m looking forward to the third, regardless of whether that issue is resolved or not.

34. Plopsworth says:

The biggest (and only really disturbing) problem with the original was the building-time. If you wanted an airport constructed you had to start 15-25 years before you wanted it complete. Which may be realistic, but certainly not fun.

+1 Download.

35. Vinraith says:

I agree with some others here that, so far, it looks like a refinement of the original with snazzier graphics. That’s just fine by me, the original was a brilliant game that really only needed its rough edges smoothed and its graphics updated to be a great modern game. I’ve not tinkered much, but I’m encouraged so far.

36. Low Quality Beard says:

I never played the original, but from the little while I was able to play I am quite impressed, it seems like a great deal of fun. I’m also very happy it’ll be available through Steam too!

37. jti says:

It’s a lot like the original Tropico, but there seems to be all kinds of little changes everywhere that make this game better. Everything seems to work a bit more smoothier and it really seems like tons of fun. Can’t wait to get my hands on the whole game.

38. Javaguy says:

It is up on gamershell, by the way. http://www.gamershell.com/download_50826.shtml

Downloading now. Looking forward to this.

39. Javaguy says:

Oh, just noticed that was linked before. Sorry!

40. Severian says:

Very excited about this, and about people’s comments that it’s basically Tropico 1 with updated everything. I adore Tropico (still fire it up periodically) and really was hoping they didn’t mess with the formula too much.

Is it running well on low-medium rigs?

41. MikeTheGerman says:

regarding the “Installer integrity check has failed” prob…
    switch off your Firewall and run the exe as administrator.

42. cowthief skank says:

Had never even heard of Tropico before. Got this installed, will play very shortly…

43. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Had a lot of fun with the demo, never played the others. Took a bit to get the hang of it (particularly in providing enough good housing for people). I probably played it longer than I would’ve because of the excellent (if generic) latin soundtrack.

44. Wilson says:

I’ve just played the tutorial and first mission, and I like it a lot. It is very similar to the original – which is a good thing – but there seem to be a lot of small changes that make it more fun. Stuff like being able to rotate buildings better (if still not perfectly) the roads being proper roads now, and of course the improved graphics, which run very nicely for me. Though I have a quite powerful machine.
    Looking forward to trying the second mission.

45. Harlander says:

Did anyone else get severe graphical strangeness when shadows and/or post-processing were enabled?

46. Fumarole says:

It is every bit a good as the first, music included. Huzzah!

47. cowthief skank says:

I think I need to play the tutorial… My dudes started to rebel and eventually blew up the palace. Some dictator I would make :-(

48. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Cowthief – you probably aren’t providing enough jorbs for your citizens. Go to the almanac -> lists -> people by job and see if you have lots of unemployed. If you do, try and build stuff. Teamster shops and construction factories provide lots of jobs that are very useful. If you have lots of those, farms aren’t a bad bet.

If people have jobs, make sure they have decent housing. It’s too bad they don’t seem to have a list of people by housing quality so you could see how many live in shacks/shanties etc. A mix of tenements and apartments usually does nicely, with some of the nice houses next to your higher-education workplaces.

Comment on this story