That’s A Lot Of Bull: Dungeons Teaser

By John Walker on August 19th, 2010 at 2:00 pm.

The ghost of Bullfrog stalks these halls.

As Alec excitedly told us a week ago, German developers Realmforge are creating Dungeons – a game that’s very obviously an updated tribute to Dungeon Keeper. To get the man even more worked up, there’s a CGI teaser trailer below. It really doesn’t tell us anything useful about the game, but if you listen carefully you can hear Alec squealing all the way from Cologne.

, , , .

1. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

That screen shot got me much more excited than the trailer.
    Just look at it, i can almost hear the slapping of imps from here.
    Sigh…

2. TotalBiscuit says:

I want this last week.

3. Ballgag says:

Mmmm fapping of imps…..

4. Premium User Badge c-Row says:

Ahhh, gone are the days of (less than) mediocre games they were releasing under their old name – the new Kalypso games roster looks pretty sweet these days.

5. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Those people.

6. OldCrackjack says:

The trailer remins me (quality wise) of the cutscenes in Diabla II.

7. Tei says:

To be honest, the original game was a bit broken: the gameplay was never working perfectly. But it was hilarious and original (even the renderer was… magic). This is a awesome idea that is still waiting for some people to do it right. Hope is this one.

• PHeMoX says:

Are you kidding? Compared to current day games those two games were far from broken.

• Tei says:

You tried skirmish? DK workers better like a linear experience than a sandbox game.

• P7uen says:

Nonsense.

British Telecom made billions of pounds from my dial up games in my younger years. Skirmish and multiplayer was where it shone.

• PHeMoX says:

Skirmish (and online) worked fine, the game worked best when you had a bit more freedom in leveling up your minions and expanding your dungeon for sure.

The linear single player was nice, but it really wasn’t much of a challenge in my opinion. It did not offer the same experience, but I don’t think skirmish or online was bad or broken for sure.

• DJ Phantoon says:

The campaign did give you different challenges, though (in Dungeon Keeper 2, never played the first and don’t have a computer old enough to run it now).

Sometimes they made you fight for land, in one of the later ones you have to take over a castle from the inside of the walls, that was a really good one.

• Johnny says:

None of the Bullfrog games were all that polished, really.

8. Dax says:

That trailer is must be paying homage to Dungeon keeper 1. Its just like the intro for the first game.. hero walks in scaring away imps, hero gets distracted by treasure and gets jumped by monsters. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one because I had so much fun with DK :)

9. Daniel Carvalho says:

Keen to see what this game has to offer. As was already mentioned, the screenshot got me much more excited than the little video clip.

Coincidently, I’ve actually been playing the original lately. Mainly because I’m awesome, but also because the original Dungeon Keeper was insanely good.

I can’t help but get that dirty feeling though when looking at games who whizz past the inspiration threshold and into the have-to-make-slight-changes-to-make-it-our-own (often not for the better design-wise).

• PHeMoX says:

Ever since Bullfrog Productions turned into EA and Lionhead Studios, there has been basically no way the fans would see a new Dungeon Keeper game anytime soon, so who gives if a new studio takes ‘inspiration’ from such a title and builds their own version?

I wouldn’t mind anyone trying their professional luck at bringing such a gameplay concept to a next level, even when I’m generally against literally cloning (ie. setting, style etc. together with the gameplay concept) someone else’s title also.

10. Colthor says:

@Malawi Frontier Guard:
    Heh, I was going to say.

11. Rob says:

I just hope the lawyers don’t get at this one.

• BonusWavePilot says:

Lawyers don’t sue people… the companies that hire lawyers sue people.

(You can have my barrister when you pry him from my cold, dead hands)

12. Rob says:

Far as I’m concerned, they just need to fix up Dungeon Keeper and DK2 so that they work in Windows 7.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I remember seeing some mods that would allow this.
      I believe they were functioning, or close to.

• mcnostril says:

Look up KeeperFX.
      I can play it on win 7 without many problems. It’s basically DK Gold with deeper dungeons and everything.

DK2 is more problematic though. I’ve got it to work on win7, but there’s graphical oddities and a lot of crashing.

You know the first mod for this game is going to be a DK mod. It’s just going to happen.
      Man, I hope they do the funky visions in first person mode. That was always a hoot.

13. TotalBiscuit says:

The reason I like the cinematic trailer, even if it shows no gameplay, is that it’s got the feel of Dungeon Keeper nailed down. Namby-pamby greedy heroes mincing around, hell that one looked like he was wearing skin-tight greaves, getting twatted by big, awesome monsters.

• Sassenach says:

The heroes ultra-shiny armour is what most reminded me most of DK. Nowhere else in fact or fiction has plate mail been so reflective.

14. fitz says:

What i’m really, really hoping for here are the DK-style level inros and outros.

You know the ones, intoned in THAT voice:

Snugglebell -
    The folk of snugglebell worship the common rabbit. Floppy eared bunnies are encouraged to hop around the fields surrounding the hamlet, bringing happiness, love, and more bunnies to the entire area.

Steep Scythe -
    Everyone has been put to the sword, and we’ve made an enormous magic carpet out of the thousand bunnies that swarmed here. Your minions will feast on their tiny remains for weeks. Truely a majestic victory.

• RadioactiveMan says:

What fitz said!

Also, I’d love to see that world map reappear- with all the fairytale landscapes that are slowly, inexorably, and permanently corrupted by your influence. More of that please!

15. Toast says:

I hope they have the random announcer quotes.

“Your Dungeon is lumpy order your minions to jump up and down”

16. pissant says:

Good to see someone taking up the reins, but I’m hoping this won’t be a Hinterlands to my beloved Majesty. Lookit the original intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5ODEGR1KQ&p=35F29C88E116C567&playnext=1&index=8

hope it’s going to be decent (can’t be any worse than the chinese crowd threatening to make a DK cash-shop MMO), but I can’t see them recapturing the panache of an old-school Blizzard game.

17. Smedlorificus says:

I always wanted minotaurs in Dungeon Keeper.

18. Inigo says:

What is Richard Ridings doing these days?

19. scharmers says:

The very rock yawns in anticipation of your next fascinating move.

20. Andy_Panthro says:

I see Dungeons…

Will there also be Dragons?

21. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

I had no clue what this game was about when I saw it. It wasn’t really playable yet, I guess.

22. jrpz2 says:

Your dungeon is on a slant. Creatures cannot play marbles :(

23. Peanut says:

A lost soul has entered your dungeon. Oh, now it’s wandered out again.

24. Smokeypancake says:

Your dungeon is full of mistresses. There’s a word for keepers like you.

25. Allan B. says:

Heck, im just hoping for the return of Horny…

26. Ankheg says:

This intro – is just exact copy of DK I intro, only lame :D
    Thoght I hope game will be of true heritage.

27. Matt Roberts says:

Keeper, there is something disgusting under your fingernail.

28. Proxym says:

Hmm, now I have to find my old keeper games until this comes out..
    Really wanna play after I saw the screenshot :D

29. Dale Rivers says:

Surely, even Dungeon Keepers must retire to a lair of some description ….. Oh Joy – really looking forward to this.
    The marketing folk must get a medal for releasing after Christmas – from the other software companies, that is…