Cardboard Children: Warhammer Invasion

By Robert Florence on October 16th, 2010 at 5:07 pm.

Hello youse.

Last week, a few of you suggested that I make a LIST. Yes, RPS is a site about games, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we need to do what all the other games sites do and make LISTS every few weeks. TEN BEST BREASTS IN GAMING! TEN GORIEST DEATHS IN GAMING! TEN MOST CREATIVELY BANKRUPT GAMES WEBSITES IN GAMING!

But, damn it, okay. I’ll make a list. A list of the five games that are perfect for introducing new people to the hobby. But I’ll be making NO MORE LISTS until I run out of ideas for the column in two weeks time.

Before we do all that, though, I want to talk about my week in gaming.

MY WEEK IN GAMING

This week, a campaign I’d been running in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition over the past 18 months came to an end. The game features player characters that have been around for a long time, leaping from the board of Warhammer Quest into the major leagues of WFRP. One of our players (Richard: A Wood Elf called Lego. A crack shot with an arrow.) is leaving to go around the world in a touring production of Black Watch, that spectacular Scottish play. So we had to bring the game to a conclusion until his return in 9 months or so. It was a brilliant final game, with Richard convinced that his character would die. There was an unforgettable conclusion, with Richard’s Elf and the Emperor Karl Franz dangling from a bridge on a snapping rope that couldn’t take all the weight, while under assault from a renegade Imperial army that had turned to Chaos. Lego, ever the selfish Elf, climbed over the Emperor, stepping on his face on the way, in an attempt to save himself. It was beautifully in character. We all loved it. A magic moment, entirely against our group’s expectations. The rope snapped on a roll of a Chaos symbol, however, and both men fell to their apparent deaths.

I’m not a GM who likes to punish players for playing their character well. Lego survived the fall, but lost a leg. The Emperor’s head smashed against the rocks below. When we do pick the game back up late next year, I’ll be looking at a Campaign that has an Empire at war, no Emperor, a one-legged Wood Elf, and three other player characters who are suspected of an involvement in the Empire’s fall. I simply can’t wait.

WFRP 3rd Edition is a fine RPG. It’s a real storytelling system, with the dice aiding GM and players alike in producing unpredictable twists and turns in the narrative. As long as you’re fine with abstracting combat in an RPG, I couldn’t recommend the game highly enough. Obviously it’s important to be a fan of the setting, which is as beautifully dark, brutal and cultist-heavy as any Warhammer nut would want.

Speaking of Warhammer… there’s this fantastic card game I’d like to talk to you about.

WARHAMMER: INVASION

Warhammer: Invasion is designed by Eric Lang, the man who designed one of my favourite games of all time – Chaos In The Old World. It’s a head to head card battle game, set in the Warhammer universe, and is one of Fantasy Flight Games’ “Living Card Game” products. It doesn’t follow the CCG model of selling booster packs with random cards. With Warhammer: Invasion you know exactly what cards come with each product, so you can choose to buy only what you need. In my case, it seems I need everything. As fucking usual.

The Core Set provides you with four playable factions – The Empire, Chaos, Dwarves and Orcs. Each faction has its own Capital Board, representing its capital city. These board are divided into three areas – Quest, Kingdom and Battlefield.

To win the game, you need to burn down two of your opponent’s capital areas. Each area can take a base limit of 8 damage before it goes ablaze. Every card has a power rating, measured in hammers. You can choose to play cards into any of your three areas. Playing cards into the Quest zone allows you to power up the amount of cards you draw into your hand at the start of your turn, and lets you send units on special quests that take a few turns to resolve. Playing cards into the Kingdom zone allows you to generate more resources with each turn. These resources tokens are what you spend when you play cards. And cards played into the Battlefield can be used to assault any of your opponent’s zones. These zones can only be defended by units in that zone, so it’s always good to have a strong front line – any damage not taken by defenders is passed to the target zone. In each turn, you can also play one card face down into a zone as a “development”, to raise the area’s hit points.

That’s the game explained! It’s a beautifully simple design that takes all the emphasis off the mechanics and shifts focus to the decision-making. And there are a lot of decisions to be made. Should you fire units into your Kingdom zone, because you’re light on resources just now? Or would those units be better played into the Battlefield, to defend against that inevitable Chaos Knight attack? Or maybe you should get a unit out on a quest, play defensive for a few turns, then strike hard when the quest resolves? Oh, and would it be better to build a development in the Kingdom or the Battlefield? After all, the Kingdom is desperate for hit points – but that creature in the Battlefield will get an attack boost if you develop there. What to do? WHAT TO DO?!

I need to tell you about Kenny Swanston. Some of you might know Kenny from my old shows Consolevania and videoGaiden. He’s my nephew, but we’re not far off each other in age, and we’re more like brothers. Back in the day, we used to play a lot of Pro Evolution Soccer. Every Friday night, a takeaway curry and lots of Pro Ev. These were crazy times. Our games of Pro Evolution Soccer would be so competitive that we would scream at each other throughout every match. We’d punch each other. At the final whistle, no joke, the winning player would have to RUN AWAY. I’m not exaggerating even slightly here. The final whistle would blow and you’d drop your controller and run, thunder downstairs, lock yourself in the toilet. If you were unlucky enough to get caught, you’d get leathered. I lived for those Friday nights. They were incredible.

You should see Kenny and I playing Warhammer: Invasion. My girlfriend Joanne walked into the room during our last game and I said “things are getting a bit pro ev in here”. Roaring at each other. Laughing at each other’s shitty choices. The tension in each turn is incredible. The sense of despair when your opponent plays a fatherfucker of a creature into the Battlefield, with a Toughness of 2, is delicious. The excitement and fear involved in letting one of your areas burn in order to hold steady for a massive assault in the next turn? Brutal and beautiful. It’s the kind of game that has you pushing a card forward into attack while saying “Fuck you, Kenny”. It’s magic.

Warhammer: Invasion is easy to learn, and a delight to play. The theme is captured beautifully, with the factions all playing very differently. Kenny’s Dwarves, for example, like to hunker down and make themselves hard to kill, growing stronger with the passage of time. My Chaos boys, meanwhile, like to corrupt opponent units (it’s like tapping them, Magic fans!) and then make big old assaults BOOOM! CRASH! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! What also helps, theme-wise, is that the cards are beautifully illustrated. The game just looks amazing. And that’s why I own every card that currently exists for the game. That and I’m an idiot.

The game’s very well supported. Every month there is a new battle pack release, with new cards for all the factions. Oh, and there are deluxe expansions too. The first, Assault on Ulthuan, introduced the High Elves and the Dark Elves as playable factions. The second expansion, March of the Damned, came out just recently, so let’s take a closer look.

On the box, it says March of the Damned Expansion. “Exactly. March of the Damned Expansion,” my girlfriend said, looking at the ridiculous amount of game boxes in our house.

The expansion thrilled me, because it introduces Lizardmen and the undead forces of the Vampire Counts into the game. Not as playable factions, though, no. As neutral cards, that can be mixed into the other faction decks. Lizardmen can be used with Order decks (the goodies) and the undead can be used with Destruction decks (the baddies/me). That means I get to use a SKELETAL HORDE with my Chaos deck, and can send a CORPSE CART onto my Battlefield. It means, right, that I can, get this, it means that I can, wait for it, RAISE DEAD.

The expansion is great. All the expansions are, and all the battle packs are too, if you’re someone who loves the game. And I love this game. It’s smart, and exciting, and unbelievably deep. If you’re someone who loved M:TG back in the day, but got turned off by the collecting angle, pick up the base pack and see what you make of Invasion. You’ll surely love it.

THE LIST

Let’s end with a list.

You want to know what games are the best for introducing people to the hobby? Okay, here’s some off the top of my head. I went for stuff that is easy to learn, and easy to teach, and fun to play. You could play these games with your mum. Oh , and I’d change my mind on all these in half an hour, so let’s not fight about it.

1.Citadels – A wonderful city-building card game with a clever role-selection mechanic. Inexpensive, beautifully illustrated, and great fun. Drink Midori with this game. I wrote about it in some depth here.
2.Settlers of Catan – A great game. Simple to play, good player interaction, a fair amount of luck to ease people in gently. It has its reputation for a reason. Drink Spiced Rum with this one.
3.Zooloretto – A beautiful family game that introduces players to some of the mechanics common to the modern Eurogame. Collect animals from a truck and build a zoo, for points. Drink Ribena with this one.
4.Dixit – As much a work of art as it is a game. Crack open some good wine. I did a video about it here.
5.Zombies!!! – This might be a controversial choice. It will never be your favourite game, this one. But get some beers open and ANYBODY can play it. Wrote about this too, back here.

So there’s a list that should please some new people to the ol’ gamin’. There are better games out there, of course, but the last thing you want to do with a new player is have them sit through an hour of rules explanations. Get the fucker on the table and play.

Remember to use this to get involved in this beautiful, expensive hobby. I’ll see you at the table! (Buffet table, probably.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jesus says:

I don’t know, I was fairly pumped for Invasion when I got it, but after few plays it just felt too light for me, too simple, so I sold it off. And yes I had expansions also.
    Meh.

• Hallgrim says:

As someone who bought Invasion based on this review, I want to point out that even though the cards sold in the packs are not random, the packs are not exactly complete either. The rules state that you can have up to three of any given card in your deck, but the core set and the first round of expansions all have “rare” cards where only 1 or 2 copies are included. It looks like they changed the policy to include 3 of every card in recent expansions, but I had a nasty start when I realized that they were expecting the hard-core people to buy their products three times over (at least for a while).

2. Meat Circus says:

Are you RPS Louse, Mr “Florence”?

• DrazharLn says:

It’s ok, you can tell us. The big four can’t see so well (I hear). They probably won’t read this.

3. BigJonno says:

I dunno what’s controversial about Zombies!!! It came out when I was working in a gaming shop and we had loads of fun with it. I can’t remember anyone not enjoying it. It certainly led to one of my all time favourite last minute victories, in which all the other players were a turn away from the chopper, I was miles away, but I played one card to fill a nearby building with zombies and threw a grenade in after them to snatch the win on kill count.

• BaronWR says:

Zombies is amusing (after all, who doesn’t like the a game that comes with 100 Plastic Zombies!!!), but the game is not actually very interesting… It’s not varied enough, there’s not really anything to do until someone plays the helipad, and the combat isn’t very interesting, given that it make up most of the game.

• DrGonzo says:

Yeah I found it to be pretty disappointing and dull. Also the miniatures were pretty awful. Great box art though!

• Little Tohya says:

I agree: I found Zombies!!! a laugh, but only because I was spending time with a group of friends. As a game itself? Probably not really worth the effort.

I’ve considered getting Warhammer, but the local card games of choice are Magic, L5R and Yugioh; I know some people with Warhammer cards, but don’t have the time to get into it myself or drive forward a group. I love the art, though (I love most Warhammer art).

Favourite game? Probably either Dungeoneer or Space Hulk : Death Angel, and SH:DA gets the edge because it’s so quick to get a game going.

• Baines says:

What makes Zombies controversial is that it is more an excuse to sell a hundred cheap plastic zombie figures than a game. The game itself is badly designed and not particularly good. The figures sold that game.

While the rules aren’t at a Wizkids level of broken, there had to be significant errata and explanations given to cover all the lapses. There are basic things that weren’t explained in the rules, some of the cards were simply confusing, and pretty basic interactions could quickly cause arguments between players or call for the creation of house rules because the game either didn’t address them or failed to supply information that the designers knew.

Making the rules confusion worse was the official excuse that the rules were vague so that players would come up with their own version of the game. Even if people wanted the zombie figures, they weren’t buying the game just to get its components, they were buying it to get an already complete game with full working rules.

And even when you had all those confusing situations cleared, the resulting game still wasn’t particularly good. It really begged the question of just what the designers and playtesters had been trying to make and polish a game at all.

4. Nick says:

Thanks to that store finder link last month I discovered I’d been living less than a half a mile away from an absolute gem of a shop for many, many years without knowing. Part of me wanted to scream but the rest was just damn happy I’d found it.

5. Rich says:

So, lists are the clipshows of gaming journalism.

6. mister k says:

I don’t like zombies as even an introductory game, as it takes ages to play (and a lot of space). Last Night on Earth is a lot better in my opinion.

7. JamesS says:

Zombies? Er… not my choice. :)

IMO, the best introductory wargame is OGRE. Give the rookie the OGRE: their objective is clear, their one easily-controlled unit kicks lots of ass, and a good time is practically guaranteed. Machiavellian recruiters can pretty easily ensure that the rookie wins the first game without making it at all obvious, which makes the rookie eager to play again, and again…. :)

• Bob Bobson says:

The most motivated I’ve ever seen a rookie to replay a game is just after a close defeat in a co-op. Defeat, when victory seems so achievable, gets a lot of people wanting to go again than a win.

8. Temple to Tei says:

My purchase of Warhammer Invasion was nudged out by another Runebound expansion this week (the Sands one).
    Not sure if gf would play WI as too many numbers on the cards, but every time I read the rules they seem simple enough. Next purchase and if we don’t play at least I have the pretty pictures and someone will have done solo rules by now I imagine.

Needed to buy something extra to the 4 character packs I was buying for ‘WOW: the adventure game’ for a super cheap price to to get the total purchase above £25, so to save £10 I spent £35…

I love online shopping, reason always departs.

9. johnnyorgan says:

Cheers Rab. Been waiting on you posting a wee list like this. Gonna get Citadels and Dixit for me and the wee lady and try and get back into this malarky now I’ve got a lot more free time on my hands!

• FreezerBag says:

@johnnyorgan

You may know this already, but Dixit needs at least three players to work. It’s really good with four.

Citadels is a great two player game though.

• qrter says:

Ah, I thought Citadels sounded familiar. I’ve played it under the name Machiavelli.

10. johnnyorgan says:

11. FunkyBadger says:

History of the World
    Fury of Dracula

12. RogB says:

oh man I used to play WFRP at school with a bunch of mates that I no longer live anywhere near…. it was brilliant.
    very, very dark and bleak. I still occasionally flip through the additional campaign book for a bit of nostalgia.
    We had a right plonker of a player who would screw up almost anything spectacularly. On a rooftop chase he failed the first jump between rooftops, fell down the gap and died instantly. I had to intervene and pop a ‘strategically placed thorny bush’ to stop him dying in the first 10 minutes and having to sit it out for the next few hours.

I was quite surprised to see v3 last week in a proper chunky box with a whopping pricetag. After all, the previous 2 were just A BOOK so why the extra girth? it looks like they’ve added all sorts of wiedness. (cards?!)
    Still, looks like a polished product, and FFG seem perfectly capable of running with GW’s established properties.

13. Oak says:

The video on Dixit made me want to go out and make some friends so I could play it.

• TeeJay says:

I enjoyed watching it to. I was going to post that with this quality of filming/writing/presenting Rob should be on TV, but after a quick google I realised he already is: (from wikipedia: “Robert Florence is a Scottish Presenter, Comedian and Writer best known for starring in popular video-game review shows Consolevania and Videogaiden. He was a core writer of Chewin’ the Fat and with Iain Connell wrote the sitcom series Legit and Empty. Connell and Florence are currently creating the second series of a comedy sketch show called Burnistoun, which is set in a fictional Scottish city.”).

Having said that it’s a shame that some of this has only been shown on BBC Scotland, rather than UK-wide.

Anyway, thanks for the reviews Rob. :)

• Alegis says:

You should. It’s a great game and you can play it with anyone.

Time’s Up is great in the same vein as well.

14. Tamsin says:

“These zones can only be defended by units in the opposing Battlefield, so it’s always good to have a strong front line”
    Wait, what? Isn’t it the units in the attacked zones that can defend?

• Robert Florence says:

That’s a mistake!

Where it reads:

These zones can only be defended by units in the opposing Battlefield, so it’s always good to have a strong front line – any damage not taken by defenders is passed to the target zone.

It should read:

I was thinking about a battlefield assault upon a battlefield. Apologies, and well spotted.

15. pakoito says:

A Game of Thrones LCG >> Warhammer Invasion. By far.

16. Paul S. says:

Warhammer Invasion is brrrrilliant. I played it obsessively for the entire spring, and still play it hard given the opportunity. It is extremely deep. And brilliant.
    …but it is not as good as Chaos in the Old World. That is, without a doubt, the very best thing ever put in a box ever. Rab should write about that on here.
    FFG have been doing some exceptional work with the GW universes. Mainly fantasy, admittedly, but Horus Heresy is dead good too.

• Tacroy says:

As I’m sure you already know, Rab already did a video review of Chaos in the Old World on his site. It’s pretty awesome sounding, but I don’t have four people who’d be interested :(

• Jesus says:

I can confirm that Chaos In The Old World is a magnificent game.
      I buy 1 or 2 boardgames per month, and Chaos is the best game I bought/played in last year or so…

• pkt-zer0 says:

I don’t have the four people to play the game in person, either, but a) I can work on that later, and b) there’s still play-by-email + voice chat + online board game simulators. Not that I can spare the cash for the game itself at the moment, but still. I will play that game, sooner or later, in some form.

17. Morph says:

Good choices this week. WFRP and Warhammer Invasion are both great!

18. Koozer says:

I wish I knew anyone to play these with.

19. Kieron Gillen says:

By some odd quirk of fate Comrade Gril bought Warhammer Invasion today, so we’re playing it now. EXPECT DURING ACTION REPORT IN THE COMMENT THREAD.

20. Kieron Gillen says:

We are having trouble counting the cards. This doesn’t bode well.

21. RogB says:

more drink required!

22. Kieron Gillen says:

WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WE’RE DOING

(“I know what I’m doing. I’m drinking wine” – Gril )

23. Kieron Gillen says:

WE’VE DISCOVERED THE TURN SEQUENCE.

24. Kieron Gillen says:

Dan’s played a Zealot card. Game’s over. “That’s Z’lot”.

25. Mirqy says:

This article definitely makes my list of top five articles wot I’ve read today.

26. Kieron Gillen says:

I have damaged Dan’s flank!

27. RogB says:

typical, Gillen does a runner and comes back as a rowdy drunkard, all professionalism gone flying out the window.

28. Kieron Gillen says:

Dan’s corrupted my cannons. That’s probably bad.

29. Kieron Gillen says:

“That almost seemed like it was tactically sound”.

30. TooNu says:

Citadels is on the list, I’m going into town on Monday and buying it. GTFO if you buy all the copies before me in my local gaming store, I swear I will find you all.

31. Kieron Gillen says:

SO! Do developments get destroyed when the hit points they represent are spent? And does the defender get to decide whether the hit points go from the “real” hit points or the developments? OR SHOULD WE JUST READ THE RULES?

32. Kieron Gillen says:

Hmm. I may be losing.

33. Kieron Gillen says:

Actually, Gril may be fucked.

Someone’s fucked. We’re sure.

• Beerio says:

There’s a girl. And someone’s getting fucked.

This is nothing like the board games I’m used to.

34. BigJonno says:

Kieron’s drunken game-playing antics should be a regular feature. It’s the least he could do for DESERTING US LIKE THE COLD, HEARTLESS BASTARD HE IS!

35. Kieron Gillen says:

It’s Gril.

36. Kieron Gillen says:

(I wiped out 5 of his support structures in a single phase, basically. So he has no economy and/or army.)

(But I’m still worried. THIS IS A GREAT GAME)

• Griddle Octopus says:

That was a horrible combination of cards – playing first time, I had no idea something so nasty like that was in the deck.

Basically Kieron used one card that concentrated my defenses (development cards in this case) in one spot, away from units and buildings, and a second card that destroyed undefended units and buildings. Bam! After that, I had one building left, which was now creakingly over-powered by development cards. Unfortunately, this meant I had to pick up a minimum of 6 cards a turn, hastening my demise (you lose when you run out of cards) without having the resources to use the cards.

Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant!

37. TeeJay says:

I blame twitter :@

38. TooNu says:

Oh and nice Saturday post again Robert sir.

39. Kieron Gillen says:

AND VICTORY TO THE EMPIRE!

Gril was defeated by his deck getting tired. Which is all the victory I was hoping for.

• Griddle Octopus says:

I may have lost the war, but I won the bottle. Wine for the wine god, hic!

Wonder if there’s a way of doing down your own economy in this? I guess the choice between a long and short game comes down to that – improving your economy means you need to win super-quick.

• Tom Camfield says:

More like this please.

40. JackShandy says:

Lord, too many board games. I don’t know what to buy!

41. malkav11 says:

I love the concept behind Fantasy Flight’s LCGs. I dislike quite a few things about Magic: The Gathering anymore, but the biggest thing I hate about it, something which even ruins much better games, is the collectibility. Game pieces should not be acquired on a random basis (outside of the game, that is), and they -certainly- fucking shouldn’t be balanced based on how few of them are sold. So that’s point one in Invasion’s favor. Point two is that it’s a Warhammer game. I love both Warhammer and 40k as settings. Point three is that unlike Game of Thrones or Call of Cthulhu (the card game, not the RPG), Invasion was launched after FFG switched to LCGs. So it has no legacy whatsoever of being a CCG. I don’t know if that actually impacts those previous games – possibly not. But it’s still nice that it’s starting fresh. Point four, of course, is that it’s just plain well designed. Loves it.

42. Urthman says:

Could anyone recommend a good co-op game for three players? Our first choice might be a fantasy D&D-type theme maybe, but we’d probably be open to anything fun.

• JackShandy says:

You could always try that “Ghost Stoires” one Rob was banging on about earlier.

“Absolute fucking genius.”
      -robert florence.

• Vinraith says:

Heroquest and Warhammer Quest are both worth a look for that size group.

• Temple to Tei says:

Support Vinraith here.
      I don’t know the make up of your group so I’ll just mention some more.

There is an old Dungeons and Dragons game published by Parker that is around on ebay a lot which is similar, possibly less complicated. Won approval from 2 gfs so far.

Descent is 1 person vs the rest; they play the dungeonmaster trying to squish the adventures as they go delving.

Space Crusade is the only spacey one I can think of along similar lines, but really you all have seperate teams of Space Marines trying to get to the goal first.

You can (and we do) play Runebound non-competitively, but it is not really co-op either.
      WOW the Boardgame can be co-op (never played it competitively yet) -check out some alternative rules on BGG to put a sense of urgency into having to kill the bad guy in time (expensive).

43. DMJ says:

Warhammer boardgame?
    I for one welcome my new
    Cardboard overlord.

44. MountainShouter says:

Is there a US equivalent of the findyourgamestore site?

• Temple to Tei says:

Curse you! Curse you! Curse you!
      I was going to reply ‘No, but you have some good online shops such as Thought Hammer
      Then I though ‘Not that I know of, but Boardgamegeek might have a list’ so I popped on for you.
      I am going to be here all night now, this is worse than Tv tropes.

On the plus side Frontline D-Day looks like a nice 1 or 2 player game,
      “http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39383/frontline-d-day”
      And I’ve saved £35 by putting a purchase of Arkham Horror on hold until Mansions of Madness comes out to compare it with.

Somehow got sidetracked into Civ games…
      New one on me “http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63888/innovation”
      Turns out Sid is bringing his CIv boardgame out soon, so that is the boardgame based on the computer game that was based on a boardgame tha was based on another boardgame. I think.

Gah, must go to bed
      Oh, and Agricola works for single player pretty well apparently.

Short answer -put your city into the search on BGG and something might pop up -I have seen people asking about Boston recently.

45. bill says:

Wanted to try Catan for ages, but it needs 3/4 players right? It’s mostly just the two of us.
    Bearing that in mind, Carcassonne (spelling?? too many letters!) is an awesome introductory game.

Can someone dig up the Buffy boardgame that i was given for xmas about 6 years ago and tell me if it’s totally broken, rule-wise? the few times i tried to play it it all broke down – maybe i’m misreading an important rule or something.

• Lightbulb says:

I played Catan online quite a bit because I got hooked but my play group didn’t want to play it anymore.

I think but do a google theres several (free) places to play. :)

• Temple to Tei says:

From what I recall -two Buffy’s were made.
      The one in England is pants, the one from Yankeeland is good.

Check out boardgamegeek for rules, clarifications etc (and to see which one you’ve got)

• Dean says:

The Catan card game is an ace adaptation of Settles of Catan for two players

• Temple to Tei says:

Or to put it another way.
      I do not like Settlers of Catan, Catan the Card game is one of my faves.

• Tei says:

I love MULE, that is inspired in Settlers of Catan, and can be played online :-D

46. Wulf says:

Since there’s a conglomeration of pen & paper people here, this might be a good time to ask about this, despite it not being related to the news post. For my roleplaying group, after a recent Penny Arcade, I decided to look into Gamma World and I like what I see, but I’ve also been tossing around considerations of Metamorphosis Alpha. I’m actually thinking of maybe starting with the first edition of Gamma World (I’m told it’s very good) and working out from there. Though Metamorphosis Alpha has my interest, too.

Any advance in relation to these two games and their editions? I understand that Gamma World has had a very coloured history, as has Metamorphosis Alpha, both having various different engines of roleplaying games built into them at various points, with the very latest Gamma World even being something of a CCG.

• Wulf says:

Any ‘advice’ even. Yay for writing words that sound like other words accidentally.

47. Wichtel says:

@Rob Can you add how many people you need to play the games you are discussing. There are a lot of games where it says you can play it with 2 or 3 but you really need 5 peoples to have fun.

• Temple to Tei says:

Welcome to the wonderful world of boardgames where manufacturers lie.
      Just because you can play with 6 players does not mean you should -some games are simply not designed that way.
      It is (obviously now I come to think of it) like an MMO in that the people you play it with make the game.

You can search BGG by criteria such as how many players and more importantly there are tags like ‘plays best with…’ . Playing time is often a big decider as well for most people.

There are often threads at boardgamegeek for two player games, as the older you get the harder it gets to have a group of friends together.

Anygame Rob mentions will be on BGG so just pop the name in and there will be a pretty good breakdown of how many it plays with, how long it takes, how many it plays best with etc
      And then you can check out some of the reviews and have all of that disagreed with.
      Have fun!

• Wichtel says:

• Temple to Tei says:

Ah, the search for the perfect number for a board game.
      If cloning existed then the more the merrier as I could play against myself and be sure that no-one was bored, no-one was here because significant other dragged them there etc
      Be pretty smart opponents as well…

More is theoretically better, but then you get into meta-gaming as relationships outside the game mess it up -of course some would say that adds to the spice
      (See: Rob and everybody presuming he is the Cylon -it would be a poor attempt at impersonating a human by the Cylons I think)
      With more players, when I look back on the night it is rarely the game I rember but the different interactions between people. As a typical social misfit 2 players is my ideal number, but I love the big empire spanning games such as Twilight, Civ, Through the ages etc which ‘need’ more players.

Bigger groups have more ‘downtime’ between turns; meaning the bit between your turns when you are doing. Can be very negative unless everyone is committed to the game OR the game is designed for player interaction even during those moments when it is not your turn (or quick turns -essentially game design can mitigate the player number factor)
      Games with an ‘auction’ mechanic tend to work better with more, but designers are increasing in sophistication in their attempts to overcome this.

4 player seems to be the most… civil is the word maybe.
      3 seems to be the worst number, typically 2 gang up on the other -or far more likely the third person is convinced that they ARE ganging up on them. Further up the thread someone asks for 3 player co-op, it is the only safe way. Or to have a lopsided game like Descent or Doom where the 3rd person plays the monsters.
      2 player for me has always been as a couple, so that defined how I played. Last gf wanted everything co-op, current gf is extremely competitive, but not into them so much and unwilling to lose.
      Basically my entire collection is gathering dust until I get down to the usual number of players and drag something out for solo play.
      At least you can be sure single player gamers want to play :)

Games I know/recommend (and always find a reason to put them in this post)
      Put the title in BGG and you will quickly see if it is your thing:
      4+ players Starcraft, Twilight of the Imperium
      2 players: Battlelore (Smooth playing wargame with goblins. OOP now, but maybe the Battle of Westeros version that Fantasy Flight games are doing is good enough), Race for the Galaxy (astonishingly good card game, can be played with more but never have), Jambo, Lost Cities, San Juan the card game (2+ players).

1,2,3,4, players Runebound, WOW the boardgame and WOW the adventure game (all scratch similar itch but have enough difference between them to be worth getting all three -solo rules on BGG, planning to try WOW tBG solo this week)

48. Azazel says:

They must bring back the Chaos Dwarfs. Why have they failed to do this?

There’s a rich vein of material to me mined there. Mined and crafted – perhaps even Minecrafted.

But: Dwarfs! Chaos! To me they should be the Lawful Evil of the Warhammer world – something it doesn’t have enough of. Chaos Dwarfs should be the faceless, individuality-crushing state machine of Warhammer. Machinery, gizmos and golems. Why does NO ONE ELSE SEE IT???

• Temple to Tei says:

Oh, I always like the Chaos Dwarfs.
      Flaming Bullgods and all (see Monster Magnet)

Always felt that was where the designers had not taken a geography course, the size of the C Dwarfs empire was massive, with nothing there. It was like they had to fill in some space and so just went ‘featureless plains’ -yeah that will work.

49. kalidanthepalidan says:

I just purchased a whole slew of Invasion cards from the interwebs. I am very excited to play. Just need to find a group to play with. :)

50. Triangulon says:

Just wanted to say what a great addition to RPS this is! I’ve been seriously deprived in this area and now I’m innundated with things I need to play. Hooray!