King’s Bounty Devs Announce Royal Quest

By John Walker on October 22nd, 2010 at 11:33 am.

Will there be wives? WIVES?!

Coo, here’s something good. New MMOs are announced every day now. There’s an extraordinary glut of them, most of which will never trouble your attention, being free-to-pay conversions of Korean et al epics that have 50 million players, none of whom you’ll ever meet. However, when the new MMO being announced is being developed by they behind King’s Bounty, everyone should suddenly sit up and take notice. Royal Quest, 1C’s first MMO, is being developed by the Russian mad geniuses at Katauri Interactive.

Set in a world called Aura, the game is centred around capturing castles and gathering gold, and while only a little is known at this point, if it captures the spirit of Space Rangers or King’s Bounty, then this could be a real treat. We’ve got as many details as I could find below, along with some gorgeous art, and the four (rubbish) screenshots that have so far appeared.

Aura, it seems, is under “imminent danger by dark alchemists who will kill to find the highly rare and precious Elenium mineral with its many unique features.” The scamps. In fact, here’s the rest of the details:

“The King has put out the call in search of courageous heroes to banish the invaders once and forever. As a reward he promises titles, castles and riches.

Those of you who would like to become a lord and obtain their own castle will have to pass through many deadly challenges. The player will have to overcome the inhabitants of dark forests and endless deserts, underground dwellers and sea monsters, geometers, orcs, demons and legions of the undead.

The immense world comprises more than 100 locations providing unlimited gameplay.

The PvE mode gives opportunities such as investigating dangerous dungeons, treasure hunting, and fighting against bosses. And you can destroy barrels just like in the good old days!

The PvP mode is available in specific territories where you can fight against mobs or other players. Everyone can conquer and own a castle and its surrounding areas. It can be tiny castles with cozy gardens for a couple of friends, or even large castles with dungeons or mines to suit whole guilds.”

There’s a long list of planned features too. Amongst them are a boasted large range of monsters, pets who can collect loot and fight alongside you, castle combat, and something called “PvPvE” where you can fight against other players and the game’s monsters at the same time.

Another feature will be the game’s “elements”. So fighting a fire monster with a sword made of fire isn’t going to be helpful. You’ll want a frosty blade there. The idea being that there’s no “ultimate weapon”, but what they call “ultimate strategy”. Which seems a promising inclusion, especially if it can make PvP battles more interesting.

Katauri’s director, Dmitry Gusarov says of current MMOs,

“The present market is full of projects with massive world distances and unhurried battles. We consider Royal Quest a nice adrenaline injection to the market and it will allow players to act as real heroes.”

That’s your lot for now. The game’s site is here, and will be worth keeping an eye on. And we’re chasing up more information as we speak, including what sort of pay model it may use. But to keep you distracted, here’s an art bonanza. These are as big as they get:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Gundrea says:

A man riding a winged serpent while holding a lance? This is truly RPS’ darkest hour.

I assume you could find nothing on what sort of pay model they’re planning.

2. Will says:

I’m holding out for one with PvPvRvPvEvPvRvPvEvEvEvB

3. subedii says:

Reaction to the news:

New game from Katauri: Wooo!

The game is an MMO: Awww!”

I know, technically there’s nothing wrong with that and loads of people love MMO’s, but they’ve never really been my thing.

• karry says:

“loads of people love MMO’s”

Those are unidentified creatures, not people.

• icupnimpn2 says:

Interviews with Katauri over the last couple of years have said that they were specifically working on a King’s Bounty MMO. Has that project turned into this, or can we still look forward to that?

4. Guildenstern says:

Card-playing unicycle robot on the other hand…

5. Hippo says:

Not happy. I don’t want this. It’s an MMO.

I want Space Rangers 3.

• pissant says:

this, emptyquoted, from now until eternity

• Brian Rubin says:

Hey, I’m not into MMO’s, but if it gives these folks the funds to make Space Rangers 3, I’m happy. :)

6. Harmen says:

“Spring 2012″. No hurry then.

7. innokenti says:

“1C’s first MMO”

Not actually true. I can’t believe this from RPS – complete ignorance of an obscure Eastern European publisher’s catalogue and an unwillingness to weasel out the facts using your enormous command of 32 languages.

I am shocked and distraught – I am cancelling my subscription!

• innokenti says:

(Сфера – Sphere, was the first Russian MMO, developed by Nival and published by 1C)

• John Walker says:

How peculiar. Because it’s their own press release that says:

“Leading Eastern and Central European publisher 1C Company and Katauri Interactive, announced today the development of Royal Quest, the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game ever produced by 1C.”

• Gundrea says:

That’s some meta level disinformation going on there.

also whoo concept art! Tinman Spadebot does not look happy that he finally got a heart.

• K. says:

The difference here is between publishing and actually producing/developing the title.
      It seems 1C is actually spending money on production this time around instead of only buying the publishing rights… or something like that.

• innokenti says:

@John & @.K – moderately moot if Katauri are likely to be doing more or less all the development. If they are more involved, I wonder why? In any case, I suppose it could be better PR if you say it’s your first one.

… or maybe not? Who knows?

8. SnallTrippin says:

I think the Serpent has legs…so it’s probably not.

9. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

Man oh man. If its half as good as Kings Bounty, its an MMO i want.
    But even 1C cant raise my hopes for an MMO.

10. Ashen says:

Blergh. Yet another MMO is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Not.

11. internisus says:

Those screens aren’t bad at all. The lovely art is translated well into the game, especially with the vibrant outdoor environs and that giant rat creature’s face. Also, take note of the trails following sword swings. You can guess how nice it might look in motion.

12. Lobotomist says:

Wow , just wow! This is great news !

13. GenBanks says:

Love that artwork, it’s nice to seem some cool original creatures.

14. Maxheadroom says:

Sorta reminiscent of that other MMO that’s all swords and elves and magic isnt it?

What was it called now….Oh yeah, ALL OF THEM!

15. Aganazer says:

Please don’t be another dumbed down hack-n-slash WoW clone! Please don’t target the demographic of 14 year olds with ADHD. Those screenshots are not making me very optimistic.

16. 0mar says:

I loved the new King’s Bounty (The Legend, Armored Princess, Crossworlds). They were a great throwback to TBS games. I was kind of wishing for another KB in that same vein. Given how saturated the MMO market is, the chances of this succeeding at a wide level does not seem good.

Going to be a pass for me. MMOs are not my thing.

17. Larington says:

Couple of things to be intrigued by with this, owning a castle as end game content (With different castle sizes depending on what you want), an intention to be more ‘actioney’ than other MMOs (There’re advantages to laid back MMOs, sure, but I’d like some variety yaknow), pets handling the looting for you to at least some extent.
    Yes, please do keep an eye on this for me. Much appreciated.

• Larington says:

That said, please no Elves/Dwarves/Hobbits/Yawns. Please, please, please, give your world a bit of character rather than going all ultra dull seen it before Tolkien.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Perdido Street Station – the game?

• noerartnoe says:

@Dances to Podcasts: “Perdido Street Station – the game?”

This. Oh, holy hell, this!
      I would KILL to be able to play in Bas-Lag – or just explore New Crobuzon for that matter.

Allthough I wouldn’t touch it with a standard issue 10 foot pole unless Mr. Mieville was involved and actually *listened to* by devs.

On the other hand, it might…”lessen” the effect of the story a bit to have it in a game.
      I mean…part of the impact of the concept of the Remade is how utterly horrifying your imagination can make the process – and the result. Having it in a game means you’re stuck with how someone else imagined it….

Suddenly, I am torn…

18. Fumarole says:

That goblin-driven, shiny object-directed, ram-handed mobile siege platform thingamajigger is inspired.

19. RogB says:

I love those mischievous little imps ‘driving’ the huge dribbling troll with a flashy light :)

20. pupsikaso says:

That toad looks mightily pissed.

21. JKjoker says:

really ? instead of potentially awesome king’s bounty 2 we get yet another doomed mmo ? meh, you’d think they start having doubts after multimillon AAA mmos fail epically

22. clownst0pper says:

Sewers – Check
    Cockroaches – Check
    Colourful Graphics – Check
    Goblin driven Ogre – Check

We’re onto something good!

23. noobnob says:

Barrels to destroy? Oh that’s going to be fun, CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK only to find minor healing potions and some gold pieces.

24. Unaco says:

Screenshots and Concept art look interesting. I’m unlikely to play an MMO… more likely to play some sort of MMO than an MMORPG… but still unlikely. Although I wish them luck… I picked up the King’s Bounty Platinum Edition when it was cheap on Get Games (thankyou Mr Denby), and have sunk a number of hours into The Legend… I agree with some of the words about it from here, that the style, humour, zaniness of it is refreshing. While playing it, one word kept popping into my head… Charming. The game is charming… and it’s not often these days that you get to say that, what with all the Modern Gunfights, and Dark Fantasy, and pretentious Indie art stuff. It’s also a great game, underneath it’s charming presentation… it does have problems, but I remember reading here that they were largely covered with Armoured Princess (although it may have lost some of the charm of the original). So, all the best to them… I hope it succeeds for them, and they can produce more games (which aren’t MMO’s) that I look forward to playing.

25. Nick says:

Oh good, another MMO!

26. President Weasel says:

Space Rangers 2 was a work of demented genius (the text-based interlude during which I earned some space money towards a spaceship upgrade by successfully managing a ski resort being one of my favourite memories). Those responsible may be some of the very few people who could raise my interest level in yet another MMO above utter disinterest.

It’s an overcrowded market, and one in which you do really need to gain a critical mass of players in order for the game to thrive. I fear they’ll lack the advertising budget to make up for their lack of a generic IP to hang it off. On the other hand, if anyone can make an MMO that can draw people in simply by virtue of, well, actual virtue, it’s them.

Good luck to ‘em.
    Although I’d still rather have Space Rangers 3: Spacier Rangers.

• Freud says:

I tried to like Space Rangers 2, but being too weak to fight to start off the game turned me off. It got boring to drive around taking fedex quests to buy better equipment so I just quit the game to play other games with better balance.

27. Javier-de-Ass says:

katauri making an mmo would be awesome news, if it meant a normal dev cycle and them making another hopefully original game after it. but it doesn’t, it means they’re stuck doing this game until it fails or the members of what made katauri the awesome team that it is quit out from being burned out or not properly utilised. I can only see doom from this shit

28. Tuco says:

Just give me another goddamn Space Rangers, for fuck’s sake.

29. ScubaMonster says:

So it looks sort of like a Diablo-esque MMO? I’m pretty tired of MMO’s but this would tide me over until the Torchlight MMO.

30. S1eepyGirl says:

>I assume you could find nothing on what sort of pay model they’re planning.

free 2 play pay model

31. Hmm says:

Darn. Like all MMOs released since forever, I WON’T play this.

Come on Katauri, KING’S BOUNTY 2 please!

32. amishmonster says:

Geometers! Those guys cause all kind of problems. They make things go all square-shaped.

33. Rollseyes says:

Nazi tentacle northpole spacerat?

Attaaaaaaack!

Also, MMOs FTL. Please give my single player experiences without lag, grieving, endless grind without story embedding, server drops and “only fun when 80% of the other players are there” crud.

Why oh why is everyone so bent on making them these days. I thought the initial wave of overdoing it and then realizing WOW has won was over.
    Realize it, people. There are only so many free hours a day in a working/nonworking man/woman’s life!

Giev moar epic singleplayer campaigns / games.

34. Navagon says:

While the game certainly looks pretty creative (which by itself should get it noticed in the MMO market), I don’t know if the apparent changes in combat are going to affect how much the game lures in existing fans. MMOs aren’t really my thing so I’ll just wish 1C the best with this and move on.