Perpetuum Beta, Early Access Details

By Jim Rossignol on October 25th, 2010 at 4:57 pm.

Sandboxy robot MMO Perpetuum is now in open beta, and Avatar Creations have announced some details for early access purchases of the game. For €8.95/$9.95 players in the beta will be able to start playing a week before the game launches proper (getting 37 days access), as well as getting some “extension point” bonuses.

More interestingly, the game has had a graphical overhaul, has a new tutorial front end, and has opened up territorial warfare. The outer islands can now be fought over by players, which adds the first layer of genuine PvP conflict in the game world. If you’re interested in an MMO that’s doing things a bit differently then this is worth visiting while it’s at open beta. I posted some thoughts on the game here, and previewed it for Eurogamer here.

This game really needs a new trailer.

, .

1. droid says:

Noticed that the leading image changed, I suspect a conspiracy was responsible.

• Maxheadroom says:

I noticed that too and thought I was going mad.

Glad I’m not, unless we’re both mad

• zuzia says:

@droid: I don’t think they call themselves “conspiracy” anymore.

2. ScubaMonster says:

Early access by purchasing a non-released mmo = you have to be insane. After so many failures I can’t imagine anybody would do this anymore (though I know they will). Unless you’re talking about World of Warcraft 2, you’re just asking to get burned. Though with how Blizzard has been operating not even a WoW 2 would be a safe bet.

• Hallgrim says:

Except you can go register and play Perpetuum right now.

I haven’t played it for a while so I can’t comment on its quality, but it is definitely not vaporware.

• TotalBiscuit says:

It’s $9.95. It’s not like you’re signing your life away. Jesus, people write way too many words over trifling amounts of pocket change.

• Dhatz says:

however, it’s safe bet going into the beta and coming up with you own suggestions in the forum.

• beta key says:

You could always do a chargeback if you don’t like the game.

3. goodgimp says:

So… I tried this. I had heard all the stuff about this game being “similar” to EVE, but I didn’t realize it *WAS* EVE.

Okay, so, I log in and do some basic tutorials, then I’m off. Oh hey, lets go kill an Enemy, which I can all see listed on my Overview… er, “Landmark” window. So I right-click on the Drone in the Landmark Window, select Approach.

I approach the guy, then right-click | Lock to lock on. I wait 12 or so seconds, the lock on finishes, and I’m ready to go. Like EVE, I can have multiple targets locked, and one target I’m specifically attacking.

So I attack with my Light Machine Gun which is in my High er.. Turret slot, along with a Mining Laser. I also have an Armor Plate and an Armor Repairer in my Low slots (or whatever they like to call them here). My gun cycles and I shoot the badguy. While this is going on, I decide to look at the info on my gun…

I get all the stuff I’d expect to see, damage amounts, rate of fair, ammo type loaded… and oh look, Optimal Range and Falloff values as well!

I should point out that the character creation process was almost a 1:1 lift from (older) EVE as well, from creating the portrait, to choosing your racial background, to choosing what corp you work for, to choosing what your background is (research, military, industry, etc).

It’s not that I don’t like EVE. I love EVE, I currently play it. I was hoping to see a EVE-inspired game but instead what I got was EVE that had giant robots instead of giant spaceships. I’m going to give it more of a go, I didn’t play it that long, but so far it feels far, far too similar to EVE for my tastes.

Kelron says:

I’d have a lot more respect for the developers if they’d been open about the influence of EVE. They claimed they’d never even heard of EVE (which is unlikely in the first place) and that the similarities were natural results of their game design, but from the early shots of the now-changed UI to player reports like yours, it’s clear that they’re lying. Doesn’t make me inclined to trust the company with a subscription fee.

• DJ Phantoon says:

I heard the complete opposite of that, in that they did say they were inspired by Eve.

• Thants says:

From the interview RPS did with them (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/02/interview-perpetuum-online/) they said this:

RPS: I have to ask about the similarities to Eve Online – how much of an influence has CCP’s game been on Perpetuum?

Gergely: Ah, the usual question. To the surprise of many people, the Perpetuum dev team is mostly quite unfamiliar with EVE. The vision of the two games is very similar though – a complex, persistent, sandbox world based on the real one – and this is where the similarities come from. There are a list of “must have” features for a game like Perpetuum where we want the players to do everything themselves – features like material gathering, production, market, a guild system, etc. Without these features either game would be incomplete, and the fact that both have them means that there are some aspects that are similar. But if you look at the setting you can’t really compare the games at all.

4. So yeah.. says:

Seconding everything goodgimp says.

Also if you try to mention this ingame, they basically go into full-on defense lawyer mode and call you horrible names. I understand they’re tired of all the people bringing this up, but people bring it up because it’s a real thing.

5. choie says:

Kind of OT, but this post reminded me: Does anyone remember a preview from earlier this year, possibly late last year, teasing a FPS involving the player running around while spaceship(s) attack from above? I think we’re intended to be playing as a robot, but maybe I have that backwards and we’re running from robots. I think the idea was to jump on top of, and somehow collapse, buildings or … things… erm, yeah, okay, I’m not really sure of the game mechanic. I do remember that the game was in black and white except for the red laser beams of the spaceships. It was a terrific trailer with a stunning look, and I know everyone here loved the 1950s-alien-film vibe. But as I haven’t seen it mentioned since that initial teaser, I’m curious to know if there’s any news about it. Sound familiar to anyone?

• utharda says:

I honestly can’t recall. But that sounds like a very vivid… image. Maybe only drop two tabs tomorrow?

=)

If it is a game, and not a hallucination, maybe three tabs tomorrow?

• Mr Labbes says:

I think you mean “Attack of the 50 feet Robot”.

• choie says:

@utharda – ha! No pharmaceuticals were involved in this. (Well, speaking for myself only. Can’t vouch for the game devs.) @Mr Labbes has it! Thank you, that was driving me crazy. “Attack of the 50 Foot Robot” it was. Sadly I now see it’s a defunct DigiPen game that’s apparently no longer being worked on, although the most recent build is downloadable. Here’s the trailer I loved so. My memory was a bit off, as it’s not FPS and the robot/player isn’t battling spaceships but helicopters. Otherwise it’s as evocative as my memory told me. Anyway, carry on, gents. Sorry to have gone OT.

6. W Main says:

One word: plagiarism

7. geldonyetich says:

I’m honestly not sure what this game has that EVE Online doesn’t already. If I were the developers, I’d seriously considering putting some kind of EVE-breaking twist on it. For example, allowing players to control several robots at a time without having to multibox, perhaps set up whole automated empires of robots.

8. Neil says:

Dust 514?

9. fresch says:

I’m honestly not sure what this game has that EVE Online doesn’t already.

Robots!

• fresch says:

Meant to reply to geldonyetich

• geldonyetich says:

Seems like a step down to me, really:

EVE Online: Starships exploring a vast universe of interconnected sectors.
      Perpetuum: Robots exploring about a dozen or so interconnected continents.

The thing is, I used to be a big fan of Batletech, I should have a preference for giant robots… but I have to say that Perpetuum’s robots don’t particularly embody what I liked about mech games. Since combat plays out largely identically to EVE Online, there’s no real locational damage, no aiming to cripple the leg, it’s just, “turn on your weapons and wait.” When this is the whole of the experience, starships trump robots.

I should also appreciate that the planetary terrain offers a potential to utilize cover and whatnot, but other than basic line of sight this really isn’t the case. The main thing introduced in a transition to a planet surface is that there’s a whole lot more walking time.

So, again, I really think the developers of Perpetuum should consider doing something like have players control their robots remotely or something really different from EVE Online, because Perpetuum is feeling a lot like, “lesser EVE” at the moment.

10. TeeJay says:

Re. MMOs ‘doing something different’:

I’d sign up to a ‘paid-for / subscription-based’ MMO if my “30-days subscription” was only deducted for the hours I actually played… (for example you buy blocks of 20 hours of game-time or 20 separate ‘days’ of log-in time) = a “PAYG / pre-paid’ MMO.

• LostSoviet says:

Were you one of the poor souls who bought into APB on that “hours of gameplay” model?

• TeeJay says:

No, I’m always a fair bit behind with playing new releases due to a permanent ‘steam sale backlog’.

Arathain says:

I will say that it is very pretty. Lots of contoured landscape, alien plants, and unidentifiable tech structures. Worth a poke for the scenery.

12. Artist says:

Found the major difference beside robots: In Perpetuum you collect skillpoints that you can spend on skills – in Eve you get skillpoints that ARE spend on Skills. =)

13. MadMatty says:

uh oh- under feature list: skill points gained over time, even when not logged on.
    So you basically pay subscription for skill points, like EVE- that sucks.
    but not my wang.
    just in general.

14. ManFriday says:

As opposed to paying a subscription for the oppurtunity to grind kills for skill points? I know which one I think sucks.

• cassus says:

Crappy part about leveling while offline is.. Really no reason to play the game.. Log in once in a while and queue skills. Need to grind for money, that’s about it. And when you’re grinding JUST for money, the grind gets that much more horrible. In other games you level and accumulate money at a rate proportionate to the time you put in. In these kinds of games you’re basically either playing enough to keep money and leveling in balance. Or you’re just sitting there with a shitload of money and nothing to spend it on, and then you take a few days off.. At least that’s how my EvE playing ended up.

• MD says:

Man, if not having to grind levels means there’s “no reason to play the game”, there never actually was.

15. Daypitoum says:

TRANSFORMERS ONLINE

Seriously, just tried it, omg
    Just like EVE, same shit UI, same overview window, same selected target window…
    I stopped after trying to mine, didn’t understand anything to their scanning system (most likely because that’s one of the few things they didn’t rip from EVE)

16. Nallen says:

Terratorial Warfare huh?

All we need now is Walking in Hangers and Stellar Interaction!

17. bikkebakke says:

EEEVEEE RIPOOFFFFFF

18. Hyoscine says:

Considering it’s made by people calling themselves “Avatar Creations”, the avatar creation options are really terrible.

19. Morte says:

never heard of this before this article. Gave it a whirl, it’s nice, but it really lifts a lot from Eve, probably a bit much, putting my feelings beyond Eve inspired fondness, to bordering on Eve rip-off. Took me years to rid myself of an Eve habit, this is like catching a whiff of smoke as an ex-smoker!
    Getting all precious about people mentioning eve is also a bit rich. They doth protest too much.

20. Aganazer says:

‘Could be worse. At least its not a wow-clone.

21. mmo games says:

Not admitting that they actually copied some of the main features from eve, including UI and Character Creation, it made me loose all the confidence and respect i had for these guys.

Their game is in poor shape anyway at the moment.

22. Torgen says:

Having never played Eve, I’m giving this a shot. Got through all the tutorial missions, and into my 3rd robot (the spidery one you see on the loading screen.)

While the game bombards you with a lot of complex stuff at once (I almost closed the game at the start, from information overload and fear of having to have 7 large windows open at once on the screen in order to play,) I continued on, and stuck with it. I’m going to give this a chance, as it seems marginally less intimidating than what I’ve heard Eve to be. Would be grand to have a RPS corp for open beta, at least.