Beat Down: Bit.Trip Runner Out

By Quintin Smith on March 1st, 2011 at 11:03 am.

A second Bit Trip game has come locking and popping its way over to PC from its Wiiware beginnings! That said, Bit.Trip Runner is technically the fourth game in the rhythm action series, but I won’t care about that if you don’t. It’s currently enjoying a 10% off sale to celebrate being nominated as an IGF Finalist, and a list of new PC-exclusive features plus some footage awaits you after the jump.

Pow! We’re getting:

* HD graphics
* Online Leaderboards
* Achievements
* New Difficulty Modes

New difficulty modes is the big one there, since that amounts to a whole new set of levels. Very nice. I’ve just added this to the growing list of indie games I really really need to take a look at. Bit.Trip Runner! Meet Star Control 2, Shores of Hazeron, Gemini Rue, Free Allegiance, Hegemony Gold, Gemini Wars, Fate of the World and Din’s Curse. Are you guys OK for food? Drinks? Great. See you all soon.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Spacewalk says:

Extra difficulties sounds very tempting but that means being utterly obsessed for a week whilst I complete it and I just don’t have that many swears left in me. You can be sure I’ll still be considering it though, the aesthetic was enough to get me the first time.

2. Inigo says:

Star Control 2 was indie?

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s probably a bit pointless to apply modern terminology to an industry that was very very different 20+ years ago. SCII had a proper publisher, but Toys For Bob wasn’t exactly a major developer. It was two guys.

• Shazbut says:

Star Control 2 was made by TWO PEOPLE?!!

• Wulf says:

Amazingly, I already knew this, and I’d love to see them do a spiritual successor to Star Control II, as it’s one of my all time favourite games. Best damn aliens I’ve seen in a game, since they actually were fairly alien. Orz, anyone? I stand any game that features aliens up against Star Control II, and generally, they fail.

I mean, good grief, I can still rattle all the race names of the aliens off from the top of my head. How many games leave a lasting impression like that? And the Pkunk’s pootworm thing is legendary.

That this was two guys proves that there’s so much worth in the whole notion of indie development. I really hope to see Toys for Bob go back to doing what they were good at, some day. Especially since Star Control III was a bit of an abomination, or it didn’t give a damn about the story that came prior to it, at least. Plus, most characterless Pkunk ever. 8C Star Control II vs III is the only proof one needs to show that great games don’t always rest in the domain of large development studios, the truth can sometimes be quite the reverse of that.

• Shazbut says:

I love them all, but I really love the Mycon. Like the Orz, they actually seem alien. Non-humanoid and incomprehensible, yet clearly intelligent and with an agenda. It’s telling that a cusory glance on Youtube for them is filled with comments of people debating the meanings of the words they use. Are they spiritual? Biological? Philosophical? Psychopathic? Something else?

I heard that Toys for Bob actually want to create a sequel but don’t own the rights. They’re doing some kind of board game thing now with Spyro the dragon.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, I definitely have fond memories of chatting with the Mycon as well and trying to figure out what on Earth they were on about. I did the same thing with the Orz, too. It took me ages to actually figure out what the Orz were, as well, and I finally managed to piece it together with the help of the Arilou.

They’re all bodies of a single entity, but parasites, they have no form without a form to inhabit, that’s why they couldn’t fully realise themselves in their own space. Their central coalescent intelligence isn’t really fully aware either, but becomes so with the creatures the ‘fingers’ infect – thus changing their nature in our space. Who did they infect? The androsynth. There are no more androsynth, only Orz. The Orz entity is drawn to potently intelligent minds, ‘smells’, and that’s why they found the Arilou first. They found the Androsynth whilst seeking out the Taalo.

A couple of interesting things to note is when the Arilou tell you that they altered the ‘smell’ of humans, essentially made their psyches not fully recognisable as something that can be infected. This is why the Orz say that the humans are almost the *campers* (host forms) that the Taalo are, but not quite. The alterations made by the Arilou were designed to trick the Orz entity parasites into believing that the humans would not make for entirely suitable host forms. But all they have to do is try out of curiosity, it’s a good thing they didn’t, though.

The Orz entity also seems to be… very basic, instinctive, and ruled by feelings. It operates on very basic understandings of happiness and sadness, and revels in this. It also seems to feel really, horribly guilty about what it did to the Androsynth, which is why it doesn’t like Androsynth ‘stories’. It can get quite hostilely upset when that issue is pushed, because I think that when a proper host intelligence is presented to the Orz parasites, they actually can’t resist the urge to write themselves onto those entities, replacing them and forcing Orz to take their place in normal space.

The most ominous thing about the Orz is the way they say that they’re here now, but soon they’ll be everywhere, or something to that effect. That made me want to run away from them very, very quickly. Another element to consider I think is that the more intelligent the creatures the Orz inhabit are, the more intelligent the core being becomes, and this is why they want the Taalo. As a final note, five’ll get you ten that the Taalo are the Precursors.

Yes, I spent a lot of time thinking about this. Mostly because the Orz creeped me out so badly that I had to try to rationalise their nature to a degree, whenever I get creeped out by something I tend to do that. And indeed – the Orz, the Mycon… how often do aliens get one talking about such things like this?

Then there are all the other aliens, also wonderful were the Supox and their symbiotic relationship with the poor Utwig, the Chmmr who spoke in such peculiarly mechanical yet sing song ways, and of course, there’s the Dill Rats. *coughs.* What a line-up, really. I long to see a game that has aliens that alien again, they were all incredible. Absolutely incredible.

3. Ian says:

Hey, WiiWare doesn’t HAVE to = bad. LostWinds was ace.

4. Hoaxfish says:

Cube-graphics? A screenshot of a miner? I’m on to you! This is another minecraft article!

5. 8-bit says:

Got it on wiiware but am glad to see it come to the pc, like all bit trip games it is very difficult but it has the best difficulty curve of any game in the series. still haven’t finished the last two levels though because they require god like memorization and reaction speeds, something I just don’t have.

6. OptionalJoystick says:

I’m not sure the new difficulty modes do amount to new levels.
    From what I’ve seen so far Perfect mode will reset you if you miss a gold bar and Easy mode removes them entirely.

7. Calneon says:

I have Bit.Trip.Beat, still haven’t finished the final level on that, looked at the steam stats and only 2% of people have, difficulty settings will definitely be appreciated.

8. Octaeder says:

I’m thankful to that video for confirming my suspicions that I’m not the only one who likes making stupid rainbow patterns at the end of each level.

9. JFS says:

This looks… trippy. Real trippy.

And by the way, you should really return to your take-a-look-at-soon-friends quickly, Gemini Rue is amazing!

10. Pretzel says:

The bit.trip games are wonderfully stylish, but far too difficult. Everyone I’ve talked with about them is always turned off by how hard they are. I think they’d sell way more if they just weren’t so punishing. I know it’s old-school to be challenging, but I’ve never seen a game so delightful that so quickly turns off new players.

Comment on this story