Bringing Saxxy Back: The Saxxy Awards

By Quintin Smith on May 6th, 2011 at 11:01 am.

Heavy enough to kill a man with!

Valve have added a replay editor to team-based FPS Team Fortress 2! Replay-enabled servers will now record matches in their entireity, allowing players to go back and cherry-pick clips, and even add “sexy motion blur”. How are Valve celebrating? With an award ceremony, naturally.

In just under two weeks The Saxxy Awards (25% Gold, 75% Australium) will be presented to the winners of twenty different categories, ranging from “Best 30 Second Trailer” to “Most Epic Fail” and– oh, sod it, here’s the full list.

1. Most Inventive Kill
15. Most Dramatic
16. Best Cinematography
17. Best Editing
18. Most Epic Fail
19. Most Extreme Stunt
20. Best Overall Replay

Best Team Costume, eh? There’s also new achievements, and a new hat available to anybody who uses the thing to get more than 1,000 views on Youtube (a number so low that I suspect we’ll get a few potato-faced mouthbreathers clicking on their own blank video reel a thousand times). Anything else? Certainly! There’s also a new comic right here.

, , .

1. DevilSShadoW says:

Only thing I actually care about in this update is the comic. That says something, doesn’t it…

2. HexagonalBolts says:

I need to use the ‘mouthbreather’ insult more often

3. Mike says:

It’s quite a nifty little thing, and it renders really well on my machine, which hasn’t updated in years. It’s a shame that to do a proper thing you’d really need to export each take and use another program, but it’s a start.

mickiscoole says:

IIRC valve have a Source Filmmaker program (which they use for editing the Meet the team videos) which accidentally leaked in an SDK update, but they said they were gonna release it in the future.

4. Inigo says:

Meet The Medic screenshots on the last page.

5. Nighthood says:

WHY ARE VALVE SO GOOD AT COMICS?

I laughed out loud about 5 times reading that, and I don’t usually laugh out loud at anything.

• LionsPhil says:

Really? I found it incredibly weak. Like, bad as the Portal 2 comic weak. Like “about the average to be expected from a webcomic” weak.

6. DarkFenix says:

I’ve kinda stopped playing TF2 since they went super-duper-commercial with it, but this should create some hilarious youtube material.

7. Inigo says:

The only good thing that will come from this are the inevitable trolling videos of people sabotaging other players’ staged movies.

Monchberter says:

CAMERA IS SPY!

9. Dominic White says:

Huzzah for recording/editing features! Double-huzzah for the comic!

Also… Oooh, Ms Pauling is stone cold. Less ‘asisstant’ more ‘protege’ to the administrator.

10. ado says:

Oh Valve, why must thou be so awesome…

11. ran93r says:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

12. Jaffo says:

Is it beyond Valve to put a volume slider on their videos?

• Inigo says:

Yes. Both Robin Walker and Gabe Newell try to bury the shame under a flood of food, drugs, alcohol and whores, but nothing will ever stop the burning sense of failure digging away at their souls. Walker in particular has a concealed room in his office, wherein he kneels upon the cold stone floor and flagellates himself for his incompetence, the soundproofed walls echoing with his screams of “I’M A NAUGHTY BOY! SUCH A NAUGHTY BOY! NAUGHTY! NAUGHTY! NAUGHTY!

Allegedly.

Hideous says:

In other news, one of the new hats – the “Western Wear” – was modeled by me. Rejoice!

14. BooleanBob says:

Oh my God, they are adding back-story TO THE BACK-STORY.

And it is AWESOME.

15. Carter says:

Soldier and his heads makes me chuckle

16. SprintJack says:

Valve is awesome!

Also: Check out my great test video and help me get that HAT! ;-)

• shaydeeadi says:

And me too, I want a hat!

• JackShandy says:

And so it begins. They’ll call it V4V – view for view. It’ll spread across message-boards and forums like a plague.

No-one will be able to contain it.

On the plus side, TF2 is so good-looking even a normal video of a match is entertaining.

17. andrewdoull says:

More importantly, they have numbered hats…

18. MikoSquiz says:

HOLY SHIT

You can save a clip *after* the round by hitting F6 while you’re in spec waiting to respawn. No more recording endless demos of nothing interesting happening, then getting a five second eight leaping twirling backstab streak on the next life.

This is amazing. Thank you, Valve! <3

Monchberter says:

Agreed. This is an inspired way of implementing such a system. Expect it to be widely copied.

• MikoSquiz says:

I’ve been wishing for this for so long. Ever since I leapt my spy off a ledge to take out a soldier+medic, found the soldier rocketjumping up to meet me, and shanked him in mid-air. Unless I’m thinking of the time an explosion blew my spy across a wide-open area and I landed on a kritzed heavy’s back knife-first. Hnnng.

Excuse me, I’m off to play TF2 some more.

Keymonk says:

And they say TF2 is dead and ruined.

• Sum_Yung_Gai says:

Needless to say, you’re one of those elitist spy faggots who thinks too much of themselves to help your team directly. Just going in to kill/sap/whatever just for points while your team loses anyway. And seriously, all these “OH MAN I KILLED THESE TWO CLASSES WITH A 50% CHANCE OF A ONE-HIT-KILL CLASS I AM A GOD IN TEAM FORTRESS TWO” comments start to bore me.

Why don’t you get a legit kill with a WEAK class and brag about it? Anyone can vaguely aim their knife at a stunned heavy’s back and brag about it, but I will truly respect anyone who can kill the entire enemy team in Arena as Engineer (preferably the last one of your team) without sentry guns, using only his Jag and F. Justice. Now that, is skill. Spies? Like I said, 50% chance of a one hit kill, cause of how ‘carefully balanced’ he is.

• Outright Villainy says:

Oh my, this is good news. Ever since I got that ridiculous airblast juggle and mid air reflect kill, I’ve been cursing at myself for missing such a hilarious moment.

NEVER AGAIN. :D

On the downside, jesus there’s a lot of link spamming to some pretty awful videos right now.

• LionsPhil says:

Expect it to be widely copied.

Hope. Hope it to be widely copied. Unfortunately people are really bad at copying Valve’s good ideas properly.

19. Tei says:

Fun facts: This was obvious to me in 2002

20. Tams80 says:

Any prizes shall be… hats. I bet.

21. saturnine says:

Too bad replays only work on servers that have replays enabled, and the ones I regularly play on don’t. :( Well, last time I checked yesterday, I mean.

22. LionsPhil says:

12. Best Original Soundtrack

Please let there be a clan out there who do a “live” performance of a junk percussion piece using weapon hitsounds and the like. (As opposed to just importing them all into a tracker.)