Team Meat <3 PC

By Lewie Procter on September 5th, 2011 at 10:17 am.

And we <3 Team Meat right back. Over the weekend, they've been chatting to the cool cats over at IndieGames.com, and Ed dropped this hefty knowledge bomb:

No surprises there, considering that the Steam sales of SMB outnumber the Xbox sales by 2:1.

Don’t just take my out-of-context quote for it though, listen to the interview yourself here. There’s talk about how Tommy’s ex really didn’t like him wearing pyjama pants outside, Ed discusses the development of The Binding of Isaac, and they dish out a bit of advice to indie devs hoping to get a Steam distribution deal.

, , .

1. Dana says:

Kudos. Even though I never bought meat boy, since im too weak mentally and physically.

But im looking forward to “the binding” !

2. Laurentius says:

Or like Team Meat couldn’t be bothered to realese SMB on PC for example with configurable keys or that wasn’t lousy console port in general.

• Calneon says:

Just a tip: read over what you write before you submit and make sure it doesn’t sound like a jumbled mess of words.

• Laurentius says:

Maybe but still, “Team Meat <3 PC" is for me sarcastic title in a good fashion of RPS sarcastic titles.

mrwonko says:

Some games should be played with a gamepad. Super Meat Boy clearly states that it is such a game. So I can see why it wouldn’t care much about keyboard control.

But I don’t think gamepad-centric controls make a game a bad console port, so what were you referring to?

• spcd says:

You can change the controls. Just go to the configuration file where it all happens. I guess some people can’t figure it out if they don’t get a menu handed to them.

But I must say Super Meat Boy felt like an advertisement for the xbox360 controller

• Thants says:

Well, yes, a menu to configure the keys is a standard PC feature. I really don’t understand why SMB is supposed to be better with a controller, there’s absolutely nothing about it that isn’t suitable for a keyboard.

Other than that minor issue, I had no problems.

• Balobam says:

Even though it says to use a gamepad, I’ve been playing with nothing BUT my keyboard, and it’s worked just fine for me so far.

About halfway through Cotton Alley (Light World, seriously, why does it hate me so?) and I got The Kid. The controls are fairly tight, imo.

• spcd says:

@Thants:

I think they did it on purpose. It’s obvious they had some deal going on with Microsoft. First SMB was exclusive on xbox360. Then in the PC version you had ingame screens telling you to go buy the xbox360 controller. (Well it didn’t name the controller, but it was very obvious)

• Ergates_Antius says:

It doesn’t get more PC than manually editing a config file – that’s certainly something you couldn’t do on a console.

• Land Squid says:

I was skeptical about what difference the controller would make, but I played the game on an Xbox after playing it on PC and found it much easier. I can totally undersand why they put that message there now. The analogue stick allows you to do small/slow movements really easily (keyboard keys are either pressed or not pressed, the stick has many graduations).

3. karry says:

“We’re never going to make a game that couldn’t also be on PC. That’s a stupid thing for most indies to do. PC is crucial”

Tell that to the Braid dev, who got incredibly famous primarily on the word-of-mouth of exclusively PC crowd, and then left PC hanging for a whole YEAR. Fuck that guy !

• Lewie Procter says:

• kwyjibo says:

Well, he did that because he was a poor indie and took the Microsoft cash. He’s not doing that again.

• karry says:

“And then released his excellent game on the PC for us all to play and enjoy, or chose not to if you preferred.”

Right. Its like, you date this girl, and everything is wonderful, then out of the blue she marries some billionaire. 5 years later he gives her the kick and she tries worming her way into your arms again, the whore, but you’ve moved on.

Anthile says:

Bitter much?

4. Meat Circus says:

D’awwww.

*hugs the meat firmly*

5. pkt-zer0 says:

Well, this seems fairly obvious. It doesn’t get any indier than the PC. If you want something done, then you can actually do it there, without various gatekeepers essentially having you by the balls. So you get to avoid “I sure hope MS approves the XBLA version so we can make some money there — oh shit they rejected it, let’s hope Project Zomboid can save our asses” type situations, and whatever other silliness that can arise.

6. Javier-de-Ass says:

so is this game still steam only, or is there a version available somewhere without drm like they actually promised there would be?

mrwonko says:

There’s a retail version but I don’t know if it’s Steam/DRM-free.

–edit–
      Did some research – apparently the retail “Ultra Edition” still requires Steam.

• pkt-zer0 says:

If you’re talking about Super Meat Boy, that’s DRM-free on Steam. (Well, unless you consider requiring a one-time download for a digital-only game a form of DRM.)

• Kaira- says:

@pkt-zer0

Well, excluding the fact that Steam itself is DRM.

• Lewie Procter says:

@Kaira-

Not in all cases. The Steam version of Super Meat Boy runs just fine without Steam running.

• StingingVelvet says:

It was DRM free on Direct2Drive the day it came out… I assume it still is. There are no updates for that version though, it’s just the base game.

And Steam certainly is DRM even if you can run the game without it after installing Lewie. Unless Valve provide a executable that you don’t need authentication to install the game is DRM protected.

• pkt-zer0 says:

@StingingVelvet:

- open WinRAR
      - select the directory with SMB’s files
      - check “create self-extracting executable”
      - click “compress”

Congratulations, great “hacker”, you have successfully “circumvented” the “DRM”!

*rolls eyes*

7. Spielo says:

I don’t understand this.

“We’re never going to make a game that couldn’t also be on PC”

Can anyone think of a game that can’t also be on PC? The only thing I can think of is a game that Microsoft have signed up to be Xbox exclusive, and Super Meat Boy was a timed exclusive for Xbox.

• Lewie Procter says:

The conversation beforehand was talking about them maybe doing a 3DS game, so I guess they were saying that they might make a 3DS game, but it wouldn’t rely on any 3DS specific hardware features (like two screens, a touch screen, 3D display, other bits and bobs) to work.

So it would not just be possible, but also practical to release it for the PC too.

• Spielo says:

Thanks for adding the much-needed context, I’m too busy at work to be listening to such things.

I should probably be working now :-)

• sneetch says:

“Can anyone think of a game that can’t also be on PC?”

I suppose a PC exclusive game can’t also be on the PC. ;)

Apart from the 3DS/DS style I suppose there are a number of Kinect, Move and Wii games that couldn’t be on PC.

8. Ergates_Antius says:

“It’s obvious they had some deal going on with Microsoft”

Yes, that’s the only possible explanation.

9. kwyjibo says:

Would be interesting to hear how other cross platform indies have done on PC too. Hint – Bastion.

10. trigger_rant says:

Michel Gagné and the other guys making ITSP and Polytron, who are making Fez, should read this now. XBLA isnt the number one place for indie games anymore. Not by a long shot. Get your games on Steam guys. You will make better money and will get a better audience. Everybody wins.

11. ZIGS says:

Wait, aren’t these the guys who released SMB on PC without rebindable keys and basically told us to stop whining and get a gamepad?

• trigger_rant says:

You need a rebind for 1 jump button? Oh god.

• ZIGS says:

That’s not the point and you know it, stop trying to look cool/smart/witty/whatever

• Rane2k says:

1 jump and 1 run button, which are by default shift and space. My hands cramped up after about 15 minutes of playing.

I don´t think asking for a remapping is unreasonable here.

• trigger_rant says:

Come on people, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to change the button mapping for the game. Go to your SMB folder, open the buttonmap.cfg file, which looks like this:

keyboard

gamepad
      {
      jump=”1″;
      special=”3″;
      useanalog=”true”;
      }

Just replace jump=”space” and special=”shift” with whatever you want it to be. It doesnt get any easier than that.

• Rane2k says:

Yes, it´s not that complicated. But it´s a PC standard to have configurable controls, and I´m sure it´s also not that difficult to implement a simple menu.

I personally started playing with the gamepad, after I got one for Darksiders, it plays much better with one.

12. abhishek says:

What else are they going to say. They’ve been burning bridges with all the console platform owners.