And Now I’m Excited About Pid

By John Walker on December 6th, 2011 at 7:49 pm.

This happened to me, yesterday.

I think you might be too, if you watch the trailer below. Pid‘s a forthcoming platform game that seems to borrow from everything ever, in a really rather impressive way. Anti-gravity beams, homing missiles, backpacks full of equipment, and a really gorgeous art style. Take a look:

It’s the work of Swedish developers Might And Delight – a studio we haven’t come across before. But their core team worked together on GRIN’s Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and members had hands in Mirror’s Edge, Battlefield and Killzone. Apparently they realised they all got on rather creatively, and so formed their own studio. Pid’s their first game, due out some time next year, which they describe like this:

“When a young schoolboy gets stranded on a remote old planet, a unique and eccentric journey unfolds. His search for a way off the planet takes him through citys and castles, attics and space stations on this dreamlike yet dangerous world. Along the way he outsmarts a variety of malicious robots bent on stopping him and befriends unlikly allies that shed light on a huge conspiracy, that keeps the planet mesmerized and prevents him from ever reaching home.”

Via Tom F, et al.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Juan Carlo says:

• TheGameSquid says:

I disagree. Most of those so called “indie platformers” are just puzzle games with a side-scrolling perspective. Besides Super Meat Boy and PERHAPS VVVVVV I can’t think of a whole lot of good platformers that had actually great platforming in them.

This has sublime music, a very pretty art style that doesn’t rely on unwarranted nostalgia and it doesn’t seem to rely on pure puzzling (while still giving you plenty of unique powers). The only thing that’s a bit concerning is the stiff jumping.

These are just the feelings that I get from the trailer of course. Based on that, it doesn’t seem fair to put this with the rest of the “indie platformer” crowd.

• fivesixpickupsticks says:

Well Juan go right ahead and don’t get excited, it is your right. The rest of us will gladly play and enjoy these games and support the Indie market with all their creative risks. Just the other day I was thinking we need more Limbo style games because there aren’t that many. Keep ‘em coming devs.

• Juan Carlo says:

Risks? Seriously?

It’s not really a risky endeavor (at least creatively) to create a physics based, puzzle, platformer in this day and age. That’s pretty much the go to indie genre. I have nothing against indie games (they do take risks in other areas), but this particular genre has been done to death.

• slM_agnvox says:

Juan Carlo? Seriously?

Thanks for killing my buzz, bro. That was an absolutely terrific trailer.

• Hoaxfish says:

It is a pretty high density for basic indie stuff… but it makes up for a very noticeable lack of any equivalent in “AAA” studios. With the exception of Sonic Generations and Rayman Origins, I can’t think of anything that’s really been put out there.

But I think if you looks at the “high end” of indie games you’ll find the genres much more evenly balanced, and usually packed full of “unique features”… I’m not sure Tower Defense really handles that level of variety (most stick to the fixed-path, mixed troops/tower type design the genre is known for)

• fivesixpickupsticks says:

It is a risk, you just said you are not excited by it.

There is something there, a creative edge. The presentation, the finesse in the production. These are not ground breaking genre changing paradigm shifts obviously. Is that really required to get you excited to play a fun little game? What genre hasn’t been saturated in any case? PC games have been around since 1873, every genre has been saturated. Creativity within and outside of those established frameworks is still creativity and there is still an element of risk which most of the giant publishers shun away from.

• InternetBatman says:

I don’t get excited about them coming out, but I play the hell out of them when I get them in a bundle.

• Nova says:

@TheGameSquid

VVVVVV definitely had great platform mechanics not perhaps.
      They were simpler than SMBs, but still better.

• Rhin says:

The trailer is awesome. I see where you (Juan) are coming from, but this actually looks like a richer experience of a game than say, No Time to Explain. (which had a pretty memorable trailer)

• zeroskill says:

“I find it hard to get excited by indie platformers these days. The market is so over-saturated with them. Same thing with tower defense games.”

I remember when all we had on the PC, platformer wise, was Cave Story and a bunch of other obscure indie freeware projects. I think its better to have more of everything then less of everything, in general. Unless you’re talking about COD of course.

• Randomer says:

I completely agree with Juan. I hate it that so many indie studios are making high quality indie platformers! Why can’t they make what the world truly needs more of – shitty Call of Rainbow Battlefield clones?

2. hypercrisis says:

There’s nothing I don’t like about this, character animations and music are sublime. I hope the game maintains the same style and class from this trailer.

maninahat says:

I even like the fonts they’ve used, for some reason.

• squareking says:

@maninahat: Looks remarkably like Sentinel, basically H&FJ’s take on Claredon. Proper and pretty and quite trendy. Dunno about the title and headline/”red card” fonts, though. Probably customs.

/fontnerd

Rikard Peterson says:

“A delightful platformer”

Looks good! I’ll read the WIT with interest when that time comes.

• Skabooga says:

They had me at 0:21 when the lights clicked on.

• Josh W says:

Yeah, seems to knowingly contrast with itself too, being stylish in a few inter-related ways. Well done people!

Buzko says:

And they used “affect” correctly!

Keymonk says:

Co-op! Yes!

• mechabuddha says:

Yes, this got me infinitely more excited about the game.

LTK says:

The visuals remind me of Pixar and the music reminds me of Proun. This can never be a bad thing.

5. Synesthesia says:

i like the foggy backgrounds. Good art direction! That’s always good. Now get some good gameplay (backpack fumbling is always hit and miss with me) and we’ve got something.

6. stinkytaco says:

OMG! they made Bionic commando and they want to make another platform-er?

Hopefully they try actually playing the game before shipping it this time .

• pkt-zer0 says:

Sarcasm? Rearmed was bloody brilliant.

• Barnaby says:

Must have been playing a different game than I, pkt. I can’t remember quite what it was but there was some basic function in the game that it wouldn’t allow… I think it was jumping? I tried to play it probably 3-4 times and walked away frustrated every time. Must agree with StinkyTaco on this one.

This game looks very awesome, although I do agree with an above post about the jumping looking a little stiff.

• Josh W says:

Yes, weird game, but that was due to the structure of the original game it was developed from. They weren’t doing it to repress you.

• BrendanJB says:

@Barnaby: Yes, it didn’t allow jumping, just like the original Bionic Commando. It was a puzzle/platformer, where the weight of your arm kept you from jumping while allowing you to reach places and perform actions you would not be able to do without the arm. Part of the challenge was performing these feats, timing your actions and pulling off, and linking, complex movements. The game was brilliant fun and the level design, enemies and boss designs all complimented each other amazingly; not to mention the fantastic music and throwbacks to the original game.

I can understand people not liking the game because they are not fond of the mechanics or it’s gameplay, but the idea that it is a bad game is 100% ridiculous.

• pkt-zer0 says:

Complaining that BCR doesn’t have jumping is like complaining that Portal doesn’t give you a rocket launcher. Or like complaining that VVVVVV doesn’t have jumping.

• Urthman says:

The deal-breaking problem for me with Bionic Commando was the old-school checkpoints. Die three times and start the level over from scratch? No thanks. I’ve got too many other good games to play to spend my time playing the same thing over and over and over until I finally get good enough to get through the first level.

This looks brilliant, but I wish you hadn’t told me it was from the Bionic Commando team because boy to I hate those guys for dangling a fun-looking game in front of me and then saying “Sorry, you must be THIS elite to play our game. But we’ll take your $20, loser.”

• Barnaby says:

@pkt
      Even games that have no requirement to jump will give you a jump function. VVVVVV essentially was a jumping game that gave you complete control of the character, not the opposite as in the case of BCR. I think your analogies are a little weak. If Portal 2 had Serious Sam levels of monsters coming at you then didn’t give you a rocket launcher, then maybe it’d be a fair comparison. It’s a platformer without a jump button, and the mechanics of the arm didn’t compensate enough for it imo.

@brendan
      It is quite possible that the game sits much better for those who have the context of the original game to go on. It’s just hard to play through a game that the primary challenge of the game could be completely eliminated by simply giving you a jump button. I love grappling hook-y sorts of games and BCR is one I could not get into.

Appreciate the responses.

7. LionsPhil says:

I am choking on slightly stale ’00s pretentiousness.

What an awful, awful trailer and overall presentation for what might underneath be a neat little “2D platformer with a twist” (you know, that underpopulated genre).

• sub-program 32 says:

Why is the P word being used again?

• Gpig says:

You really don’t seem to see this dickish sort of write-off for an entire genre aside from platformers (and maybe tower defense). RTS might have experienced it some before Company of Heroes came along (and was right at the end of the World War 2 wave), but you don’t see it for first person shooters or hex-based strategy games. Half-Life 2? Ugh, another game where you shoot people but this time they added a gravity twist. Get over yourself.

Also, pretension would be a good sign in a populated genre. It would mean the developers recognize that they have to strive for more than just average to get noticed. If it helps, you should consider looking at late-stage genres as sonnets rather than by the typical metric of how revolutionary you consider them. The form is familiar but the content is not.

• jedoran says:

Can we have an RPS equivalent of Godwin’s Law for whenever someone uses the word ‘pretentious’ to dismiss a game?

• magnus says:

Or anything else for that matter! And isn’t interesting that those of whom call these games pretenious never reveal what games ‘they’ like?

• Barnaby says:

So having a stylized and (imo) interesting art direction makes it pretentious? The characters? Failing to see the trailer as even approaching pretentious.

I just re-watched the trailer cause I was curious if I could have missed something pretentious, and I think I’m even more confused than I was…

• InternetBatman says:

It parodies indies in the first few scenes, and then goes zany. I’m not sure where you’re getting pretentious from.

• vagabond says:

@Gpig Actually people write off entire genres all the time. FPSes get referred to as manshoots against a backdrop of several shades of brown, the adventure game genre has been dead or dying for more than a decade now, and just go ask Wizardry about the state of RPGs… (or should I say vapid, black and white morality simulators with a sub par game attached)

• dysphemism says:

Fact is, there’s actually pretty extensive FPS-fatigue on RPS, both among readers and writers. Less so for platformers — though I understand what some people are saying in these threads. It’s understandable that indies will gravitate towards the platformer, though; given the budgets indies have to work with, and the art styles they shoot for, it may be a necessity to constrain things to two dimensions.

All that said, I have no idea what LionsPhil is talking about. I would’ve said “charming”, maybe “understated,” far from “pretentious,” though. Do you think the same of Pixar films? Between the use of pastel colors and the sense of humor, it definitely earned itself a nip of Pixar style.

• LionsPhil says:

@magnus: Not really, because it isn’t true. I can be found in many a thread extolling the virtues of games. Recently I quite enjoyed Cargo! Indeed, if you look closely, right here in this very thread I referred to the mechanics of this game as potentially neat.

Did that whole spotlight-end-credit-jazz thing seriously not ruffle anyone else at all? Yet another “small child in horrible world” setting (while I’d like to believe InternetBatman that it’s parodying that, I can’t really see how it is, given it goes through all the same motions)? “Presented by” a J-question-mark logo?

• UncleLou says:

Did that whole spotlight-end-credit-jazz thing seriously not ruffle anyone else at all?”

Not me. But then I roll my eyes when I see game trailers with HARDCORE RAWK music, so maybe I am the same as you, just different. :p

• magnus says:

LionsPhil, oops sorry dude, went a bit too far there, shitty day and that! :(

• Urthman says:

LionsPhil, the art style in this seems really fresh and delightful and original to me. You’re acting like you’ve seen dozens of games in the same style and are sick of them. Could you please point me to some of those? Because I guess I’ve missed them all and would like to play some.

OK, looking at your follow-up, are you just sick of platformers with…jazz? …and a kid? Really? I guess there have been a handful of games that have one or the other of those. I was gonna give you Braid or World of Goo — completely different art styles, but colorful and cartoonish and don’t have the usual John Williams orchestra and/or butt rock soundtrack — but neither of those have kids or jazz. What games are you thinking of that have made you sick of this?

• nimnio says:

Yeah, I thought the whole trailer was hackneyed too. This is a subjective criticism, so I can appreciate both sides of this “sublime versus pretentious” debate, but I think if people were to consider the Disney and Pixar movie trailers of the past 10 years, they might concede “hackneyed but fun”.

On a slightly related note: http://youtu.be/fdBM6sQo7m8

• LionsPhil says:

@magnus: ‘Salright, not had a great one myself.

I think nimnio said it pretty well, all told, but for small-child-hostile-world 2D indie-style platformers, Limbo, that EA thing with placing the blocks as one ran, that one with trying to recover colours…they’ve all blurred into a fuzzy tepid soup.

But when the full last thirty seconds of your trailer are a credit sequence for a game which is at heart a 2D platformer with a neat gimmick, I don’t think it’s a mile off the mark to say that you are maintaining a pretense of being a liiiiitle bit more than you are.

8. Mctittles says:

I’m not totally sure this is coming to pc. The only information I can find on the site is “Coming to digital platforms 2012″ and unless they mean ALL (including my calculator) is there anything else that verifies this will be released on pc?

• Craig Stern says:

According to Joystiq, Pid will be released “on console download services and PC in 2012″ once the devs find a publisher.

• lamzor says:

check the gianbomb interview linked in other post below. the guy said that they would like to be on PC, PS3 and xbox360. i hope this will be released on PC.

9. Chiller says:

For some reason, I think that trailer was really well-made! I’ve actually written a short blog post about it. Of course, only two people actually read my blog, so I’m not expecting you to. Just restating: really good trailer.

10. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Whilst I agree with some of the comments that there’s a deluge of disposable, amateurish “indie” titles/platformers, I highly enjoyed the trailer and the music was -great-, though I may be biased being a jazz fan.

11. Syra says:

looks like limbo but in colour with coop

Take my money?

12. Muzman says:

My money was on French, or maybe Spanish. But no. Swedish. Oh well.
    Good work. And I say this a sidescroll/platformer despiser

13. matrices says:

The music of Proun with a visual aesthetic that doesn’t make me feel like climbing my chair and hanging myself? Yes, please.

(Not that there is anything wrong with Limbo, if you’re in a hang-yourself kind of mood. I read thread comments speculating on that game’s plot because it seemed too depressing to play…but then I got depressed just from reading about other people playing it.)

14. Outright Villainy says:

Well I’m not really sold on the gameplay from the trailer, but the art style and music is absolutely sublime, so I’ll probably pick it up for that alone.

15. Frank says:

Yeah, the art style and the trailer itself are great. Reminds me of City of Metronome (which was announced in 2005, never heard from since, and yet has a Wikpedia page!).

16. Alien426 says:

No one mentioned Heart Of Darkness yet. But I was reminded of it when I read

I’m glad that game came out (in the end).

17. PiD says:

Fame at last! \o/

18. hatseflats says:

That’s a tasty trailer right there…

19. Tams80 says:

It looks beauuuuuutiful and the music is gorgeous. The gameplay doesn’t look half bad either.

I could help giggling at 1:05.

20. Ralphomon says:

This looks cool.

That is all.

21. Shazbut says:

Weird trailer. It has no need to continue after 1:45. Interesting looking game though

22. Urthman says:

The art style reminds me a bit of dustforce, which I’m also eagerly anticipating.

23. Igor Hardy says:

Looks creative and great.