But There’s Also: Wanderlust: Rebirth

By Jim Rossignol on January 14th, 2012 at 1:35 pm.

Okay, looks like RPS is Top-Down RPG News today, because I’m just going to point you at indie RPG Wanderlust, which is a neat little game in the spirit of early Zelda/Secret Of Mana and so on. It can be played single player or co-operatively online, which is a hell of a feature set for a little game like this, and it seems to be a remarkable labour love overall. There’s a free trial version with the first few chapters of the game for you to play which you can download here. Definitely worth a look if you are inclined towards such tremendous pixel-art cuteness.

1. pakoito says:

Plays like the old Secret of Mana games, it’s quite awesome. The only problem right now are the empty lobbies for multiplayer, as the game didn’t had much visibility.

• Metonymy says:

I see you edited it to ‘Secret.’ Legend’s ‘To the Sea’ is my favorite of the SD soundtracks, beating out SD3′s Black Soup by a hair.

These types of games can be diverting, but they don’t exactly improve the world, do they? They’re just clinging to a style that has passed. I’m looking for a modern game with the creative sensibility of the archetypes. Minimalistic controls, primary colors, design attention given to the bread, and not the butter.

• vecordae says:

I really wish more indie games improved the world somehow. Perhaps by working in soup kitchens or getting medical degrees, then practicing medicine in impoverished countries. I know I would have a whole lot more respect for the game Bastion if I saw it volunteering at a clinic for perpetually horrified people.

• bill says:

But you know what he means.. these kind of games often simply re-create the games of old (which is ok), but it’d be much cooler if they innovated on that base and introduced something new.

Maybe this does though, i haven’t played it.

• mollemannen says:

when me and my friends played it back at launch it played nothing like secret of mana :( which is a shame since those games are awesome co-op fun.

2. siegarettes says:

I was quite disappointed to see that like many games I wanted, it was on sale this holiday season, and I neglected to pick it up. A shame because it seems like it would be a good bit of multiplayer fun.

3. RyuRanX says:

Am I the only one seeing a vagina instead of a tent?

4. MadTinkerer says:

Sweet, sweet, pixelly goodness! Wait, this doesn’t look 2012 at all…

In the trashbin! ;)

• Tams80 says:

What is this “trashbin” you speak of?

• siegarettes says:

Well, if 2012 is the end of the world, you could argue that it starts with the reversing of time to create some of kind of all consuming paradox. Then it would be very 2012.

As an aside, I have been watching too much Doctor Who lately.

• Koozer says:

You spelt ‘not enough’ wrong.

• MadTinkerer says:

Tams80, I was referring to the first comment thread here. ;)

5. raskolnik says:

Looks intriguing, although I could do without the mandatory registration on still another spam list game “enhancement” service.

6. RizziSmoov says:

When I saw the name “Wanderlust” I COULD be the only person who thought of an interestingly made RPG Maker 2000 game