Nothing Noxious About Noxious

By Jim Rossignol on February 4th, 2012 at 3:09 pm.

The effort and ambition put into student game projects never fails to surprise me. I was a spectacularly lazy student, and hed I studied game creation I doubt I would have managed to produce anything like Noxious, which is a tribute to Dead Space made by Full Sail students. (Via Indiegames.) It’s a brief shooter (around 15 minutes) which can be downloaded in full, for free, here. Full playthrough video below.

(I feel that with this name it should have been inspired by Nox, but ah well.) (What a lot of parentheses.)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Echo Black says:

“A tribute to Dead Space”? Is Dead Space even worthy of tribute? I knew I shouldn’t have skipped on them!

• Alexander Norris says:

The Dead Space games are awesome if you enjoyed Resident Evil 4.

• CaspianRoach says:

The Dead Space games are simply awesome.

• Mistabashi says:

I liked the audio/visual design in Dead Space, even if it is somewhat generic. It didn’t hold my attention for more than a few hours though, it just seemed too bland and predictable.

BlackestTea says:

Dead Space are certainly two good games. I quite liked the shooting mechanics (Especially shooting off limbs with the plasma cutter). However, I made the mistake to expect it to be a horror game. It’s not. Sure the theme is classic horror stuff. You are trapped on a space station with an alien presence that creates monstrosities from the bodies of fallen people etc. and I got a bit jumpy the first time a critter sprang at me from a vent – but after the first few surprises it just feels like more of the same. I just couldn’t get scared by the game and that saddened me. You just feel way too powerful to actually fear anything. Still, a good shooting experience for sure and I loved the dead spacestation setting and religious stuff in there, too.

• DrGonzo says:

They were solid games. U thought the second was no where as interesting as the first after losing the hub design, it definetely lost its sense of place. But still a fun action game.

Its not worth a tribute in my opinion, but the UI is fantastic and worth taking inspiration from. But that’s just a choice of words isn’t it?

Anyhoo! Fantastic little demo, will keep an eye on these guys.

• Grey Ganado says:

I liked the map progression in Dead Space 2. The levels just flow into the next one without any loading screens. Every game on rails should be like that.

• goliath1333 says:

Nox was definitely better than Dead Space, but Dead Space was pretty good too.

• jjujubird says:

Am I the only person that completely disagrees with “Dead space has a great UI”? I mean, my only beef is that the “third person with your character on the left side” POV feels really awkward. But it’s a pretty big beef, as it affects every second of the game.

• DocSeuss says:

Dead Space is basically Aliens but you’re alone and the enemies can be a bit more intense. Plus, it’s got a bit of a psychological element.

I guess you could say that, like Alan Wake, Dead Space is Psychological Action Horror, and it’s great for that. It’s a third person shooter and it knows it, but it can still be damn creepy. I actually find it scarier than bullshit like Amnesia.

I find myself not CARING about Amnesia. You can’t fight back, so meh, what’s the point. It’s mostly just a bunch of jump scares and mechanics ripped from Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth/Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem. Knowing you can’t fight back just makes things even less scary, because if you can’t fight back, then meh. A game in which you can fight back is scary because now you are scared of things that can kill you DESPITE your attempts to fight back (this is why DS’s invincible regenerating health stalkery monster really unsettles me). I feel like “oh shit run!” doesn’t matter all that much if it’s the only thing you can do. When you feel backed into a corner and you HAVE to run because you find yourself to be powerless against your foes… that matters all the more.

Sorry for that bit of sidetracking. I’m tired and had to babysit all day and am now working on level design. Anyways…

Dead Space, though… I think the only other game that’s made me as anxious (no game has truly scared me) was STALKER, when I visited the brain scorcher. There’s this one bit in Dead Space 2 where–well, no, it’s best if you experience it for yourself.

• Amun says:

@DocSeuss: I respect your opinion man, but Amnesia is not “mostly just a bunch of jump scares and mechanics ripped from Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth/Eternal Darkness: Sanity‚Äôs Requiem.” I mean, if anything, Dead Space featured more jump scares than Amnesia!

To me, something that “can kill you even though you fought back” is just as scary as “something that catches you even though you ran away and hid from it.”

• Flint says:

@ jjujubird

I’m not a big fan of the Dead Space UI either, although for a completely different reason; I prefer clear HUD elements (and an actual HUD), and having all the numbers and health bars integrated to the player character’s visuals is one of those things that sound nifty in theory but which never really work for me. I didn’t find the POV bad myself.

2. CaspianRoach says:

His suit looks a bit like medic’s gear from Firefall.

3. timmyvos says:

Hed

4. wcanyon says:

A little more Spelling and a little less Game Design may have helped this: “and hed I studied game creation”.

5. misterT0AST says:

Ha! At first I thought this article would be about
    the free sci-fi shooter Nexuiz, but instead it’s about the free sci-fi shooter Noxious.
    This is obnoxious for me, as I’m very anxious about the future of Nexuiz, but not so anxious for Noxious.

• thecat17 says:

Perhaps this will ease your anxiety. Or perhaps increase it, if you make it down to primatewithagun’s comment.

Me, I loved this game back before all the weapon models and sound effects were “updated”. Quotes around that, since I found the new weapon models ugly and the new SFX worse. If I remember correctly, the grappling hook physics were changed as well and I thought it used to be completely perfect. Honestly, I thought this game had the best grappling hook I’ve ever played with.

So when I found that it didn’t feel like the same game anymore, I had to give up on it.

I’m hoping that this version of Nexuiz Classic which I’m downloading is the same one that had me hooked for many months. And that there are still people playing it.

6. Hoaxfish says:

Tried to play it, but the 3rd-person camera fritzed out so I couldn’t really play it.

7. acenck says:

Very Cool.

8. torchedEARTH says:

It’s a 15 minute shooter with a 23 minute video? Heh.

9. sidhellfire says: