Here’s A Hard Reset: Extended Editon Trailer

By Craig Pearson on February 9th, 2012 at 6:07 pm.

An orange.
Hard Reset: Extended Edition is the original, singularly focused FPS from last year about shooting donkeys. The full game now comes with an additional four new creature types, a new boss monster, five new levels that sicks up three extra hours of play, and two additional survival mode levels. They’ve also prettied up the engine. But don’t take my word for it, for I am a notorious liar and billionaire. To make sure you’re totally convinced, publishers Kalypso Media have invented Youtube and placed the trailer up on there. Did I make that up as well? The only way to find out is to click and see.

It’s true! A lie is always easier to swallow with a truth.

Here’s hoping that some of those changes tweak the problems John had with it when it was first released. It’s out March 9th at a hopefully unextended price.

, , , .

1. Xocrates says:

Does this mean that they’re going to add a proper ending to the game?

That said, I got Hard Reset on the Christmas sale and quite enjoyed it. I’ll certainly keep my eyes out for this.

• LionsPhil says:

Will they fix the save system?
      * Watching a “cutscene” and laughing at the dialogue.
      * Press F12 to take a screenshot of a particularly hilariously bad line.
      * Cutscene skips
      * Autosave checkpoints-only system means I can’t go back to rewatch that. Restarting that level doesn’t play the cutscene.

So much for being able to be fully baffled by the plot!

Haven’t played it since, in fact. That kind of one-way-but-skippable thing drives me nuts. (See also: level design features where if you fail a leap for a secret or such, you cannot retry. But at least that’s a skill thing.)

• durruti says:

ever clicked on extras, phil? ;)

• LionsPhil says:

I’m guessing it’s since populated with all the cutscenes (so far), then? Cheers.

All it needs now is not demanding I play a whole level at a time and I can get back to it.

• Dhatz says:

organised context to the rescue(Max Payne kind), if they cant make their CS BS have a seek bar. Also HR is not particularly clever in it’s non-shooty parts, expectably.

• LionsPhil says:

…crikey, you’re not kidding about the lack of an ending. Abrupt and short.

And there I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, for a moment I might get to have fun in control of a giant spiderbot, as opposed to watching a generic grizzled character have fun in a badly-animated paper-cut-out cutscene.

2. Paul says:

The problems John had with it were fixed about a day after his review was posted.*

*may not be 100% accurate. But it is all fixed since a long time ago. Stupid negative reviews that do not reflect games I buy :/

3. Ragnar says:

Having played and rather enjoyed the demo, and having just learned that John’s issues were resolved, I’m all sorts of excited for this. Hope to see it on Steam’s July sale.

4. Fierce says:

For a PC only game, either it’s FOV is surprisingly low or those guns taking up 25% of the screen sure are getting too big for their breeches.

• Jake Albano says:

The guns are pretty big, but you can adjust the FOV. If it’s not available in the menu you can change it in the console ( Control + ~ ) with the variable r_fov.

• LionsPhil says:

They’re surprisingly unobstrusive in gameplay, as insane as that sounds.

What’s probably most un-PC-shooter about it is the movement.

• Net_Bastard says:

Actually, you can change the FOV in the menu. It’s vertical FOV though, so I don’t recommend putting it too high.

5. magnus says:

It needs quicksaves, how does having checkpoints give it a retro vibe?

• yourgrandma says:

Never understood this complaint about this game. I never once had a problem with the checkpoints. Painkiller plays pretty similar to this game and never had a quicksave function yet i never heard anyone complain about it then, why now?

• LionsPhil says:

Painkiller has a normal manual save system, which includes quicksaves. (It has autosave checkpoints too.)

Unless they only patched that into Black edition.

• yourgrandma says:

I didn’t believe you and booted up painkiller and it turns out it does have quick saves… but i never used them and i think it kind of feels like cheating in a game about surviving waves of enemies :-/

• Casimir Effect says:

You know you can bodge in a quicksave function using the console right?

• InternetBatman says:

Yeah, the only problem I had with it was definitely the checkpoints.

6. Breedlove says:

Love it. Can’t wait to play a bit more as I really enjoyed my first run through.

7. NothingFunny says:

Hope the level design is better in the addon.

8. wowcool says:

The main weapon seems to be the Chromatic Aberration gun.

9. joel4565 says:

I bought too bought the game during one of Steam’s sales. I came off with very mixed feeling. Some levels I enjoyed the hell out of, while other annoyed me to no end. The fact that two of the major bosses needed the same strategy in a game of this length left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I understand why they wanted to make the game without quicksave, but don’t agree with the decision. I do agree with the developers though that quicksave can ruin the tension, but then again some developers abuse the fact that you have quicksave to justify insta-kills.

For instance I recently replayed the first Max Payne and was basically forced to quicksave on every stairway for fear of another damn grenade that would wipe out 80% of your health or insta-kill you if you didn’t time it just right.

Any update on whether they will allow a free/small fee to upgrade the regular version to the extended edition?

10. Alexander Norris says:

So is this going to be offered as cheapo DLC for people who own Hard Reset, or are we expected to pay for it all over again?

• castle says:

Yeah, the announcement coming so soon after the first big discount (in the Steam Xmas sale) seems a little too calculating–unload a bunch of copies on sale, then announce a new improved product.

Here’s hoping they follow the CDP model and provide the extended edition free for people who own the original. If not I’ll be a little irritated, as I just bought the original over the xmas sale and haven’t had a chance to play it yet.

• Matt says:

They announced the extended edition on December 13, well before the Steam holiday sale started.

• castle says:

Oh. Well then, not so offensive. Anyway, managed to dig this up:

“Kalypso, which is publishing the retail version on March 8th, confirmed that the Extended Edition content will be released as DLC for owners of the original game (which was released as a Steam exclusive last year), though not right away.

All sounds well and good until those last few words. Here’s hoping they don’t string owners of the original game along for too long–punishing your more devoted fans isn’t typically good strategy.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

This.. makes me want to play EVE. Could be the gun, which vaguely resembles a Caldari design. But still, odd.

12. Shortwave says:

As the man above me, I am greatly confused.
    I’ve already purchased this game so.. What is the deal for us here?
    Gunna’ be pretty damn disappointed if I’ll need to fork out more money just to see the rest of the game.
    And get, graphics updates more so…
    Maybe we’ll get the updates but not the extra levels? >.<

These devs are pretty legit though so I'm going to assume we'll get it for free.

• Shortwave says:

No word yet on the steam forums, but a Dev’ posted this video himself so we can expect an answer really soon, they are good like that.

Nevermind, fanboyism seems to of turned it into a psuedo-flame ware.

13. felisc says:

mmmh… getting this during the fury of autumn 2011 didn’t seem attractive, but right now i’m tempted. come on march.

14. David Shute says:

I think I’m going to give this a punt – I passed on it last year, but Serious Sam 3 has awakened my hunger for old-school PC FPSs.

• bear912 says:

Hear hear. I think this little expansion might be just the tasty little bit of variety that will poke me into BUY MODE for Hard Reset.

Also, I was researching CD Projekt’s history today, and I started to wonder if Hard Reset was what became of Metropolis’ THEY project, similar to how Dead Space likely emerged from EA’s attempt to make a new System Shock game… Does anyone happen to have supporting or condemning evidence for this hypothesis?

15. piedpiper says:

Great game, run through it three times. It’s not that hard even on INSANE. Waiting mode on.