A Fortnight Of IGF Demos Starts On Onlive Today

By Craig Pearson on February 28th, 2012 at 10:51 am.

Sweep up a Dustforce demo
Onlive and the IGF are spooning for a fortnight. The sensual lovers are celebrating the Indie Gaming New Year by giving you access to 30 minute demos of 16 IGF finalists. The alphabetically sexy list of games is: Atom Zombie Smasher, Be Good, Botanicula, Dear Esther, Dustforce, English Country Tune, Frozen Synapse, FTL, Lume, Nitronic Rush, Once Upon a Spacetime, POP, SpaceChem, To the Moon, Toren, and WAY.

So that’s 16 games, and all you need to do is create a free OnLive account. There seems to be Facebook integration, begging for a like, but I think the Showcase is available on the front page of the OnLive app without that. If I’m mistaken, it’s one extra mouse-click. The demos are limited to 30 minutes, but you can play them as often as you like. I’m not going to link to 16 trailers, because that way browser hell lies, so here’s Botanicula’s. Now If you’ll excuse me, I have to right a wrong and get FTL up on RPS.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

1. CMaster says:

OOooh, a chance to play FTL? Off to OnLive I go!

• Crimsoneer says:

It’s the game we all want to play, isn’t it? btw, they just started a Kickstart.

• CMaster says:

It does have to be said that FTL sounds like (will have more concrete idea after playing) a very RPSey game.

• Hodge says:

Thanks for the heads up Crimsoneer, I’d completely missed that. Deserving of its own post methinks, even though they’ve pretty much hit their target already.

And to stray back onto the subject at hand, I think this little promotion might be the one which finally results in me caving in and giving OnLive a try.

• Lilliput King says:

FTL sure does look good.

• CMaster says:

It’s good, although not amazing.

It’s something of a Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, except you are more able to influence what happens in the encounters than in that game,

Other than that, I had to laugh when the game announced “This is the end of the training simulation, and your chance to be destroyed by a much better ship” and then OnLive announced my demo time was up. Dodged a bullet there!

• Mike says:

I think it’s fantastic. Every little mechanic is designed to represent some kind of bullshit phrase shouted loudly during a sci-fi battle. Closing airlocks, shields at half capacity, charging weapons, fires in the med bay, and so on. It all looks so lovely and is so delightfully interactable. Man.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Played a bit and was frustrated by onlives mouse lag and the time limit, but I made it to the final unwinnable battle and the game has some things going for it. Looking forward to trying it on my own terms though.

• CMaster says:

My biggest concern was the repetitiveness really. I might open up wider later, but for the first couple of zones you play through in the demo, almost every system features a rebel drone of some form, defeated in much the same way (as you don’t have many options at this point). Even if there is more variety as you progress, having to grind through that stage every new start could start to put a damper on replays (as having to replay the basic “gather some simple gear and food” does in Rogue Survivor).

2. AshEnke says:

Why Botanicula ? Did RPS receive a large check that questions their professional integrity ?

3. Tinus says:

Just played half an hour of Botanicula.

In love.

4. Auyx says:

POP just made my eyes bleed.

• pakoito says:

Can’t properly type after playing it for a couple of minutes.

Teh fcuk just happened?

5. RobF says:

The Facebook like begging is tatty and embarrassing, really. I wish companies would quit that stuff in general but even more so when it appears to reduce other people’s work to the level of a crappy ad.

Not classy, OnLive.

6. Urthman says:

Looking at the Toren website, it looks like they barely have a gameplay video ready, much less a playable demo.

“The interface, which is being tested, uses the same philosophy present in Heavy Rain”

Looks like it could be an amazing game, but they sure don’t sound like they’re ready to give OnLive a demo.

7. Urthman says:

Also, RPS hasn’t paid nearly enough attention to Nitronic Rush. It’s like Trackmania and Rollcage had a baby, dressed it up in a super-cool Tron outfit and gave it away free along with the songs that Daft Punk thought were too good to waste on the Tron movie soundtrack.

8. pakoito says:

I had completely skipped Nitronic Rush. Now I regret that decision O.o

• Urthman says:

You didn’t miss it. It’s still free. What, are you regretting that you didn’t get a chance to play it before they fixed a couple bugs and added a few more challenge levels?

Important note: the Hardcore Mode is not just “more of the same, but harder.” It’s almost a completely different game mode, and while hard, it’s the most fun part of the game.

9. lhzr says:

POP is amazing and so’s the music from it. I would’ve bought it just for that, but it seems it ain’t out yet.

Here’s the trailer: http://vimeo.com/30709121 and the full song from the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1a4kC2yWJs

Also for those who like this sort of stuff and perhaps missed them: http://cactusquid.blogspot.com/2010/08/norrland-gamma4-separate-downloads.html

10. kyynis says:

Onlive sure is weird.

I normally abhor every single kind of social gaming. I hate MMOs, can’t stand competitive multiplayer games or even co-op with people I don’t know, and if Onlive would have bothered to ask “Would you like if random strangers over internet could watch you play?” I couldn’t have declined fast enough.

And yet. When the first spectator notification popped up I was unnerved a bit. Not enough to quit the game and disable the thing. Then couple more viewers joined and I was surprised to find myself… thrilled. There was some odd kind of showmanship at play – oh man, gotta show them some cool stuff fast – but I really can’t describe why, after finishing the Botanicula trial (I got cheers for solving the snail puzzle!), I didn’t crank the privacy settings up the vazoo. Part of it must be common human courtesy – if they want to watch someone play this particular game then I am doing them a favor, aren’t I?

It still feels weird. (/rant)

• trjp says:

You clearly don’t “abhor” social gaming – you just THOUGHT you did, more than likely because thorugh lack of experience you assumed all the horrible stories people tell was the norm (it’s not).

There is NOTHING like a good team/social/MMO thing – when it’s working, you’ll wonder why they even bother making single-player games.

Then it consumes your life ;)