Deliciously Devious: MMMMMM

By Adam Smith on April 23rd, 2012 at 10:30 am.

That is my facial expression throughout the many deaths I have endured

The ever-reliable Indiegames.com notices that Increpare, the devilish mind behind English Country Tune and other mind-twisters, has released MMMMMM, a free spike-laden tribute/alternate take/sequel to Terry Cavanagh’s VVVVVV. It’s a puzzle game about trinket collection and spike avoidance, with success being reliant on forward thinking and, of course, gravity manipulation. I was playing for about thirty seconds before diagonal surfaces were introduced and after five minutes I’d become intimate with more spikes than there are atoms in the universe. Sometimes the rules of a game create a sort of synthesis with my mental workings; in this case the two were at war and I was caught in the middle, hoist by Increpare’s pixel petard. Everyone go and beat it then tell me how rubbish I am.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Maldomel says:

How could I tell you how rubbish you are, when spikes are my new best friends?

2. Mr. Mister says:

Still trying to beat the puzzle on the second checkpoint. Not even reverse-engineering seems to work, but rendition is still a forbidden resource.

EDIT: God how could I be so stupid. Well, at least noone replyed before I figured it out.

3. Mr. Mister says:

Aaaaaand The End. It is actually a test of your previsivility analisis, if such a thing exists.

4. Crazy Horse says:

Fun idea but wonky controls. Can’t get past the first puzzle. I think I’ve already paid enough homage to the masochistic gods of wierd platformers by beating VVVVVV anyway.

5. El_Emmental says:

It took me a few minutes to figure the game mechanics out, but once I could “plan” my moves on the go, I strolled through it like a top-hat-wearing gentleman, very satisfying and funny experience :D

This game is much “easier” (I would say “less annoying” but that’s my POV) than VVVVVV : the tile-based design + time intervals greatly fix all the masochistic part of timing your moves and aiming for the platforms.

Good points :
    - cute (facial expressions ! (:>) ) and simple design
    - game pacing : the game works by 0.8 seconds intervals, so you don’t need to time your moves perfectly like in most “hardcore” platformers.
    - tile-based gameplay : you move from tile A to tile B, there’s no “aiming” required, only thinking.

Bad points :
    - hm… too short ?

6. Snakejuice says:

Half of what made VVVVVV great was the music. This game has no music. Boo! BOOOO!!

7. Hodge says:

That was splendid.

8. adonf says:

The whole Increpare site seems to be down. Any ideas what’s going on and where to find Stephen Lavelle’s games?

Comment on this story