Another Fine Messi: Fifa 13 Demo Out Now

By Adam Smith on September 11th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Anyone else reckon Roberto Mancini would have been in an indie band if foot-to-ball wasn't taking up all his time?

I thought I’d have a kickaround on the Fifa 13 demo so that I could actually sprinkle the pepper of opinion upon the scant sliver of information in this post. Sadly, it doesn’t work for me and I don’t know why and don’t have time to correct the issue. The Fifa 13 demo is now on Origin. It probably has new animations for celebrating goals, maybe even a Usain Bolt type thing to try and bring all of sport together, unless there’s a license to pay for that particular pose. Now I’ve made myself a little glum by imagining/realising that it’s possible to copyright a pose.

For the demo, the teams included are Manchester City, Arsenal, AC Milan, Juventus and Borussia Dortmund, and doubling up on the last gasp champions of England, the Etihad is the stadium of choice. As for the full game, the things I’m most interested in are international tournaments and qualification, and the presence of a song called ‘Sweet Sipping Soda’ on the soundtrack. Never heard it, just like the name. I’ll probably enjoy the game as much as ever (quite a lot) but I’m tempted to try out PES this year as well.

, , , , .

1. Fazer says:

I gave up on Fifa when I realized consecutive versions were repetitive… 13 years ago.

2. MiniMatt says:

I’d hazard a guess it’d be possible to trademark the pose rather than copyright. I’d also hazard a guess that the aptronymously named Mr Bolt has, or is in the process of setting up, marketing opportunities via a limited company, and a hypothetically named “Bolt Merchandising Ltd” company could conceivably trademark the pose to prevent commercial use by other entities.

I am, however, not a lawyer. Thank God.

3. Kamikaze-X says:

FOOT FACE

I can’t believe I had the balls to start the puns.

4. Premium User Badge cqdemal says:

Some impressions from the demo: Keeping possession is a bit harder now, since the first touches are not all perfect like in past games. This also applies to the AI. Defending is quite a bit easier if you don’t rush in blindly, but attacking is considerably harder as well.

Players seem to be more affected by physical pressure from the opposition. Passes go astray, shots are fluffed. Same applies to passing/shooting accuracy when you do it after turning.

AI defenders seem to have far better positioning and slightly improved reaction times, both of which make them less vulnerable to lobbed through balls and quick 90-degree turns.

Game flow feels more lively than in FIFA 12, and there seems to be a lot more huffing-and-puffing at the 25-35 yard range due to the aforementioned difficulty in keeping possession.

Off-the-ball movement looks to be hugely improved, but I want to play the more defensive or just plain worse teams first before judging it.

5. Premium User Badge JiminyJickers says:

I can’t seem to download the demo. Origin just keeps loading the page but nothing shows up, I’ll try again later.

Edit: Working now, although it took 10 minutes before Origin responded and I could start downloading the demo.

6. Inglourious Badger says:

Adam, you’ll be shocked/delighted/completely-not-care that the Usain Bolt pose was already an unlockable goal celebration in the last FIFA and possibly ones before. I believe it was unlocked by wiggling both control sticks about a bit. Just… so you know.

7. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

I CAN FLYYYYYY

8. djbriandamage says:

I just finished reading Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin and this headline made me do a triple-take.

9. sinister agent says:

Let me guess: You still can’t karate kick the referee.

Nearly twenty years, and they still haven’t implemented the only improvement that matters.

10. figgehn says:

Fifa13 is the best one yet, finally a real challenge, yet a frustrating one. I’m still waiting for the following additions to the game:

Naked fan runs on the field (0.001% of the times)

Weather so bad that you need to play the match another date (1% of the matches with snow or rain)

“Fake that you been tackled”-feature making the player scream for 5 minutes when lightly touched. Works 10% of the times if you are Barcelona or Real Madrid, 5% for other teams and a yellow or red card for 0.005% of the times.