The Tamriel Deal: Morrowind Overhaul 3 Is Out

By Alec Meer on October 1st, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

I went to an arboretum last weekend. It was very nice. That's my story.

Remember Morrowind Overhaul 3.0, the mega-graphical mod intended to make the bestest of the Elder Scrolls bester still? Of course you don’t, because of all those drugs you took when you were young. That’s why you can never go into politics. That and all the embezzling you did.

Look, Mister/Mrs/Ms Short-Term Memory Loss, here’s the last time we posted about it, so go read that, watch the trailer and remind yourself, then you can report back and be given your download link for the mod, which is now out at last.

There are assorted download places to click at here, though you’re probably best off going for the torrent, unless you’re trying to download it at work and your company is afraid of the internet. Whichever you go for, it’ll cost you just shy of 2 gigabytes. You’ll need a clean install of Morrowind – so no other mods ideally, though you might be lucky – too of course.

Here’s the trailer again, in case you forgot what I was talking about before you could make it through the the entire second paragraph earlier.

Swish, non?

Here’s an installation tutorial in case you have any problems getting it up and running, too.

I would dearly love to give this a spin, but unfortunately I’m too busy with XCOM and Dishonored. I’ve also got a Card Hunter demo I really want to nose at. I know, it is a terrible life, but please don’t cry for me.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. AlwaysRight says:

Aaaahhhh, I remember now. I actually bought Morrowind in the Steam sale for this very reason then completely forgot about it. DAMN YOU DRUG FILLED YOUTH!

• alsoran says:

I’ve been wanting to revisit this game after tromping around Skyrim, but the graphics were showing their age a bit and I found it difficult to get into. Anyway I reinstalled my Morrowind (Still got the original disks) to run MGSO 2.0. Awesome upgrade which brightened up the game with a new lick of paint to make it look almost new, made it playable all over again, which is what I’m doing :) Yes, Morrowind really does have game play. I’m looking forward to trying out 3.0 as well. Happy day!

• Highstorm says:

Same here!

2. Ayam says:

I’ve been waiting for this before getting stuck into my first Elder Scrolls game, thanks for the heads up, Alec.

3. MrLebanon says:

“Oh poor me I’m busy with a game that’s not released yet.”

Thanks for rubbing it in

• Bhazor says:

Thats what she said.

• thrawn says:

Thanks for making me read a “that’s what she said” joke while looking at a picture of Applebloom. You are worst person. Same on you. :P

4. Neurotic says:

Holy fuck, that’s a hell of a long process! Glad I’m not on Steam with my Mozzawind. Well, time to start downloading then. My annual Winter re-play of it is due soon, and it’ll be nice to have the CP and everything else boiled into one big bowl of Outlander soup.

• Didden says:

Spent three weeks once learning to mod oblivion, so 6 minutes seems pretty decent ;)

5. zind says:

There is apparently a Game Experience pack that goes along with this uberpack. If it tweaks the UI (and maybe combat) enough to increase usability, I will probably be more in than I already am.

6. Chubzdoomer says:

What a GORGEOUS mod! It’s amazing that people can make a 10-year old game like Morrowind still look nearly as good as anything today.

7. Freud says:

Cliff racers in glorious detail.

8. Soggy_Popcorn says:

The main problem, for me, is that these mod compilations usually alter the Morrowind aesthetic on such a fundamental level that in the end, I like the old art assets better, low-poly fuzziness and all. It takes me so long to figure out an acceptable combination of mods that by the time I’m finished, my life is more cluttered and I have no time for my beloved Morrowind :(

• povu says:

The nice thing about this compilation is that it has a lot of options, as you can see at 2:05 in the install video.

You can’t customize everything obviously, but that’s the price you pay for convenience. Overall I think they’ve done a good job trying to stay as close to the original style as possible.

Alternatively I can actually recommend just downloading MGE XE for the nice view distance, shadows and lighting, and just play with vanilla textures. That works pretty well.

• particlese says:

Oh, man, options! Options everywhere! I was going to pass on this, so thanks for pointing that out. I love a well-modded TES game, but I go a bit Gollum when confronted with overly-detailed/realistic textures, overly-busy/loud soundscapes* and super-ultra-turbo-contrasty post-process shaders, so I’m happy to see there are so many choices in there.

*The ASE mod for Morrowind had some long ambient weather loops that seemed just about perfect, to me. They were just there, not calling out for attention — yet I can’t imagine playing without them.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Quite generally, I agree that changing the art style is a Bad Thing. No amount of high-res high-poly assets can make up for a lack of a good art direction. But the mod’s description says “I’ve tried to keep Morrowind’s “feeling”; therefore, the mods/meshes/textures I chose are the ones that I chose are the ones that I think are most faithful to the original colours and environment.” I’m taking this as a good sign.

9. DarkFenix says:

“I would dearly love to give this a spin, but unfortunately I’m too busy with XCOM and Dishonored.”

Feel free to swap places with me Alec, I’ll graciously suffer your misfortune so you can enjoy Morrowind again.

10. Hodge says:

I’ll chip in the requisite plug for OpenMW, the work-in-progress reimplementation of the Morrowind engine. It’s not playable yet, but you can fly around the world in modern resolutions and with fancy shader effects, which alone is breathtaking and well worth the (free) download.

And all done with the original models and textures, which to me is How It Should Be. Graphics packs always feel like George Lucas remakes to me – the more they add, the more they take away.

(also: Will add my seething envy to the pile with regards to the XCOM/Dishonored thing… and I’m not even that interested in XCOM.)

11. Bhazor says:

This has happened every year since I first got the PC version.

A full day of installing Morrowind and all the most essential mods (as prescribed by RPS/PCGamer) then play half an hour before the gameplay reminds me why I stopped playing the Xbox version in the first place.

• Xzi says:

Nobody should ever have played the Xbox version of Morrowind. It should never have even existed.

• eks says:

The Xbox version was fine. There was a few years where my family had no computer so I sunk hundreds of hours into it on the Xbox. It was an enjoyable experience, if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t have played it for so long.

To say a game shouldn’t exist on a platform because there is a better version of it on some other platform is ridiculous. There are lots of games that started on the console and have an inferior port on the PC and millions of people still get to enjoy them.

• Xzi says:

I was being facetious. But it really was a pretty terrible version of the game. The video resolution was hard-set way too damn low. Which is a damn shame given how beautiful Morrowind was for its time. I equate the whole situation to that Jesus painting that woman recently vandalized. I mean, yeah, you still get the jest of it…kind of, but…uhm…well.

12. MythArcana says:

Outlander!! Stop messing around and go retrieve my Skooma!!

• Greggh says:

You n’wah!!!

• Milos says:

You like to dance close to the fire, don’t you?

• ecat says:

You look half dead, why don’t you find someone to finish the job?

As an aside, what the hell is the deal with gameskyrim.com?

I did a search on ‘Morrowind “You look half dead”‘ as I can never remember if the quote ends with a ‘let me finish’ or a ‘find someone to finish’. The first result on Google is a thread on gameskyrim, the first post in that thread is mine! I don’t mean it is similar too, I mean it is an exact copy made under some other user name of a post I made to, and only to, the Beth. forums a few years ago, right down to ‘People are Strange’ youtube link. Are we really at the stage where a site will make verbatim copes some other in order to appear popular?

Wonder if adding a link always results in ‘your post is awaiting moderation’?

• Snargelfargen says:

It harvests posts from other game forums and generates money through clickthroughs somehow. Every single post is taken from another forum, but the posters’ names and avatars are new. It also tends publish old posts which can be pretty misleading in some cases,

You can exclude the domain from google’s searches if you want to get actually useful results.

13. Bester says:

I have this game, but never got around to playing it (when it came out, I must have been into EQ or WOW as I don’t remember noticing it). I’m a huge fan of Oblivion and Skyrim, but the only time I loaded Morrowind I had to give up about 10 minutes in as it felt so dated and obsolete that I couldn’t get into it.

So, the question becomes is there a good UI mod that can be paired with this to give it enough usability to be playable to someone that doesn’t have the sentimental memories from when it was new? I really want to give it a chance, but I also don’t want to have to “force” myself to play a game…

• DrGonzo says:

I think you will have to force yourself, it’s a very slow game at first. Takes a few hours for it to click. There is the OpenMW project, but it’s far from finished, that will be improving the UI and engine.

14. SkittleDiddler says:

The mod was a huge pain in the ass for me to install on the Steam version of Morrowind, and even with the online guide I never got the game to run with it. Anybody know if they streamlined the process with the latest patch?

• thebigJ_A says:

Extract it into your clean install and run it. Bar picking the options you want, you just hit “Next” a bunch of times. It does literally everything else for you, even moving the mouse cursor and clicking.

You may want to go back (via MGEXEgui.exe) and turn off the FPS counter once you’ve decided it’s running well enough, but that’s the only ‘extra’ work I had to put into it.

It’s stupid easy for the results you get. It looks stunning.

15. MistyMike says:

Morrowind has a shitty combat system and no high fidelity texture pack mods are going to change that.

• Soggy_Popcorn says:

As do many other excellent RPGs. KotOR and Mass Effect come to mind.

• sinister agent says:

There really is no comparing the combat systems of Morrowind and Mass Effect. That’s just madness. And KOTOR was a real-time-with-pause spin-off of turn based combat, nothing like morrowind’s terrible “the monster hit you!” clickfest tedium.

• gritz says:

Yes the combat systems of Mass Effect and Morrowind are totally incomparable. In one game you can shoot things from a first or third person perspective, in the other one you only get the third person perspective.

• Soggy_Popcorn says:

That’s laughable, to put it gently. Each game, for its time, had very questionable combat mechanics.

Mass Effect had some exceptionally terrible gunplay, and that’s saying a lot, since almost all UE3 games share its unsatisfying aiming and hit registration “feel.” Compared to any of its shooter contemporaries, it lost.

KotOR’s combat was atrocious. Absolutely appalling. It was the epitome of “this monster just hit you” that you apparently dislike (outside of full turn-based combat, that is).

Morrowind felt like you were clicking the mouse repeatedly to crunch numbers, almost like first person Diablo. But given the immense weapon and magic variety within the game, a given battle actually contained a lot of switching and strategizing of which effects to utilize (so, which numbers to crunch). It wasn’t optimal, but it was in keeping with the thoroughly numbers-obsessed RPG underpinnings.

Despite their combat, each of these games was a fantastic RPG, and a fantastic game.

• sinister agent says:

Kotor’s combat was better than morrowind precisely because it didn’t pretend to be something it wasn’t. Morrowind does basically the same as kotor, except that instead of waiting for your character to land a blow, you have to stand there clicking like an idiot for every pointless attack. And at least kotor made it clear that your enemies were dodging your shots or parrying your melee attacks, rather than just having the arrow that clearly hit them in the face inexplicably do nothing.

Mass Effect’s combat may have had problems, but it was nowhere near as awful as Morrowind’s, and in that you at least had some control over the outcome. In Morrowind, fights were pretty much decided by (largely invisible – is this guy going to die in one hit, or shrug off seven thousand arrows? The only way to find out is to fight him, which will kill you if he has significantly higher numbers) stats before anyone even got their spell or sword ready.

Mass Effect and Kotor didn’t have good combat systems, but neither were utterly terrible, and neither of of them was rendered an irritating trial and error mess as a result.

• Archonsod says:

Only way I managed to tolerate Morrowind was to grab a crossbow and pretend it was just a piss poor FPS.

• malkav11 says:

True, but ultimately insignificant in the face of everything else Morrowind has to offer.

• Jupiah says:

I’m pretty sure there are plenty of gameplay mods that fix the shitty combat.

• bigpuns says:

Morrowind did not have a shitty combat system, it was just created in a time that did not pander to idiots. It’s the same old complaint over again, that games these days *cough*skyrim*cough* are dumbed down for the console generation. Morrowind was a damn good game, it was very in depth and complicated, and bears more resemblance to the D&D games like NWN than the “simpler” games that followed. Of course it can’t compete with the new games in looks and certain gameplay features, such as giving NPCs proper routines to follow, but as a pure game, I still prefer it over Oblivion and Skyrim, because it was as true to Open World as you are likely to see, and the modding community has added so much more excellent material. If it’s too complicated for you, feel free to prefer Skyrim. Or Pacman.

16. alundra says:

Sorry to ask this, is this the one that is requires skyrim?? I just need gamepad support, before you flame, I have medical reasons for that.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

that mod is still pretty early on in its development, i think.

• alundra says:

OK, Thanks, will keep an eye on it.

• thebigJ_A says:

You can get a gamepad working with Morrowind, no need to wait for that other thing.

17. Flavioli says:

Anyone know if this one just installs right over 2.0? In other words, I’m currently running Overhaul 2.0 and I’m wondering if I can just run the installer for 3.0 and have it work with my current game without needing to do anything else (say, a reinstall).

• Xzi says:

You’ll need to do a fresh install of Morrowind. You could try simply uninstalling 2.0, but you still might have issues.

18. doggod101 says:

It still suffers from the same 2 problems every other graphics overhaul have that being #1 lack of mipmaps and #2 meshes/models are not updated leaving low polygon meshes/models. And while it still looks great it would be nice if someone could get on fixing those problems.

• Warduke says:

I also suffer from a lack of mipmaps…

• gjrud says:

I’m pretty sure there is a mipmaps option with configurable values in mge (morrowind graphic extender)

• thebigJ_A says:

Which is included in this overhaul, so not sue what OP is on about.

19. mikmanner says:

You bastard. I’m giddy like a 10 year old on xmass eve for Dishonoured.

20. Hisui says:

As long as they didn’t fix basic character animations, this entire thing still means nothinggggggg, absolutely nothinggggg. I’d play Morrowind with regular graphics and everything unchanged as long as the characters movements no longer triggered an automatic stab-forks-in-my-eyes reaction in me. More bling, more far sight and higher texture resolutions make it prettier, but don’t fix the most basic, game killing issue at all.

• Greggh says:

>> the most basic, game killing issue at all.

CLIFFRACERS!

Nah, seriously, TES Morrowind is a great game, but it’s combat/gameplay has aged… and it didn’t age well, imo…
      I’ll always have fond memories of Morrowind, but I’ll leave it at that: memories. It’s time to move on, improve what little things STILL need to be improved in the series and pay homage to all those glorious games with even better experiences like Oblivion, Skyrim and whatever comes next.

Your mileage may vary, though :D

• Nick says:

ah yes, movement animations, surely a game killer.

¬_¬

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

They were pretty bad, to be fair. The Argonian animations were especially egregious.

• Hisui says:

What a silly comment. If we’re already talking about pure graphics improvements, then yes, horrible animations are the biggest possible game-breaker out of all aspects of graphics. You can have detailed, realistic, amazing triple-A models by the most talented artist in the world – if they look like they were animated by a child, it won’t help you a thing. Your game will look awful.

• Soggy_Popcorn says:

I’d have to say the animations have been the weakest visual link in every Bethesda game. Unfortunately, it’s harder to mod new ones in than textures or even models.

• thebigJ_A says:

They did.

21. Xzi says:

I’m in a similar pickle. I have yet to come anywhere close to completing, or at least reaching the highest level, in Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and Torchlight 2. I’m also irresponsibly obsessed with the Planetside 2 beta, and I’m sure Dishonored, which is my most anticipated single-player game of the year, will be out before I can finish off even one of these games.

Yet I desperately want to play through Morrowind with all these upgrades, as I have never experienced all of the original game’s content in the first place. Blowing off my job and bills seems like the right thing to do in this situation, yeah? Oh, cruel world.

22. Nameless1 says:

I’ll play it again when the “gaming experience” part will be out.

23. Warduke says:

I’ve never played any Elder Scrolls games before but I picked them up on a Steam sale at some point. I understand Oblivion could soak up hundreds of hours, is Morrowind the same?

• Anders Wrist says:

All of the TES games can, so be careful how much time you feed them, they’ll just keep on demanding more.

• Unaco says:

Yes. All of the TES games are pretty massive time consumers… if it’s your sort of game. Open world, firstperson, fantasy, sandbox RPG, with masses of different quests and questlines, crafting, huge areas to explore – you can do quests, set yourself goals, or just go wandering – well crafted worlds and storylines/stories (for Morrowind and Skyrim, at least) and pretty terrific modding communities (so new content, better visuals, new/improved mechanics, customisation basically). But if that isn’t your cup of tea, then you probably won’t spend that much time with them.

Oblivion is probably the worst of the last 3 (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim). Morrowind is a classic, with projects like this it still stands up today (visually and graphically and whatever from the mods/overhauls, but the game itself would still stand regardless, I reckon – I must have played it for around 18 months) and a wealth of mods/customisation to choose from. Skyrim is a great game as well, much better than Oblivion, but it’s a lot different from Morrowind, it didn’t captivate me quite as much. Could be cos I’m older and more bitter, or because I didn’t check out any of the modding scene, or put too much time into it, yet. And Oblivion is still good thanks largely to the modding community… the vanilla game was, for my tastes, quite bland, and a little uninvolving. With mods, I sank 100 hours into it at least though.

• Saiko Kila says:

Morrowind is the best of three, but Skyrim is easily the worst. I don’t mean only the infamous GUI, which forced me to abandon this game for now (and I played with supposedly better SkyUI mod), but also the repetitiveness (many quests are just ports from Oblivion), the forced way of many side quests (where outcome depends on who you talk to first), unexplainable immortality of minor and unimportant characters (the world just teems with immortals), half-assed implementation of Fallout mechanisms in Oblivion’s Skyrim’s world (starting with workbenches, like alchemy stations, though cinematic sequences messing with fights), messed up alchemy, followers trying to kill you because of unintended theft, and revealing spoilers by characters who probably are expected to be met later than sooner.

Not to mention unkillable children who can rat you out (fortunately this one is moddable, that’s the only REALLY needed mod in my opinion, till there’s some better alternative UI. Seriously, none of the “bright mind” developers heard about nonlethal dealing with witnesses? Like criminals do in real life?).

Also, despite playing in v.1.6 and v.1.7, cows or chicken can still be witnesses under certain circumstances.

There are also good bugs, like immortal temporary followers who can follow you seemingly forever, but that’s another matter.

Generally, there is much less freedom in Skyrim than it was in previous games, and it is easier to screw up not intentionally, but because of limits of scripts, conditions, dumb AI and what else.

Ah, and there’s this outdated graphics, too.

• emertonom says:

Honestly, one of the things I liked so much about Morrowind is something everyone else complains about…I liked the broken mechanics. The way you could use a one-second long featherfall spell to break a six-story fall, provided you timed it well, or a one-second water-breathing cantrip to take a deep breath and keep diving. Even the whole alchemy-intelligence loop. Sure, it made parts of the game too easy, but it was consistent world-building–the world worked in a particular way, and figuring out a way to exploit how those rules fit together was lots of fun to me. Use science to defeat the game! I miss that in the sequels–yeah, it means a more consistent level of difficulty, but there’s not the same sense of freedom and experimentation and invention.

24. Olivaw says:

Wasn’t one of these graphical mods supposed to come out with a damn executable that you just RAN and it would INSTALL BY ITSELF and I wouldn’t have to deal with any of this insane bullshit?

Because that’s the mod I want.

• malkav11 says:

Pretty sure that’s this one. You can tweak the configuration, but I don’t think you have to.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Not from my experience. That last iteration was a confusing mess.

• Xzi says:

Really? IMO v2 was actually a little easier than v3. You point it to your Morrowind directory after a fresh install, choose your system specs, and it does everything else automatically. But then, I’m someone who could configure everything manually if I wanted to, so it all seems pretty simple to me regardless.

• thebigJ_A says:

That’s the whole point of this version, so you’re experience with the last is irrelevant.

• thebigJ_A says:

What on Earth are you on about? Are you not paying attention? It *is*an executable you run that does everything for you. You CAN change things, but you don’t have to. You hit Next a bunch of times. You don’t even need to move your mouse or click for most of it, it does even that for you.

Silly.

25. asshibbitty says:

Got this running yesterday. If anyone’s having problems with the installer just unpack the big file, then do a search for exe and run them all manually. Then tweak the options and should be ready. The way you can disable stuff like silly heads and UI mods with one click is great.

26. Yesman1ification says:

Some great posts regarding terrain coming out lately, I like them.

27. escherlat says:

Since its release, I have easily spent more than 500 hours playing Morrowind. Not once have I completed the game.

Just a few more minutes. I want to see what is over that hill….

There are still places in the game I have never been….

Morrowind must stay off my computer. It is my bane.

• rsanchez1 says:

You know, if you spent that much time in the “real world” stopping and looking at every little detail, you’re liable to be sent to the crazy house for an evaluation.

28. Slinkyboy says:

I played this game more than 5 times over the past decade, adding more and more mods plus Overhaul 2.0 and never got past 30 hours of gameplay. The game needs something, but I don’t know what it is. Fast travel? Nehrim didn’t have FT and I still finished it. better quests? I dunno but Morrowind just sucks and the graphics overhaul didn’t help either.

Playing Balder’s Gate II with the recommended mods right now. This is goooood >)

• Stellar Duck says:

[...]Baldur’s Gate II[...]

Sorry for being such a pedant. I just see that one way too much.

29. stoyan says:

As this mod is only graphical overhaul, and it’s not working well with other mods I have a question to experienced Morrowind players – is vanilla game any good? Or is it as bad as in Oblivion? I would like to try Morrowind finally, especially with better graphics, but I want the game to be difficult, so maybe I should try it with some mods enchancing gamplay instead?

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

The vanilla game is quite good. It’s just not good in every way.

The combat starts off bad, and while it never gets worse, it does get less tedious. It starts out being bad, tedious, and hard, but eventually just becomes bad. The reason largely lies with the fact that merely pointing (or aiming, with arrows) at a target and attacking doesn’t mean you’ll hit. It means you have a -chance- to hit. So then it rolls numbers, D&D-style, to determine if you hit, which means at low skill levels combat is an unforgiable mess of two people standing next to one another repeatedly missing with swords. By the time you get to a high level you will never miss, and have weapons that were not really balanced for never missing.

The quests and lore are certainly not shoved in your face, and you really really do have to go looking for a lot of them, but they are quite worth it. Unexpected twists, interesting character interaction, and decent writing make for a lot of fun. Better yet, they all fit in very well with a surprisingly dystopian fantasy setting.

Visually the game is, well, dated. But that said, it has a pretty awesome art direction, and does a fantastic job for people who want to do things because they’re getting lost in the game rather than because they need to beat it. I’ll give you two examples. Firstly, There are slaves everywhere; you can choose to free them, or not. There’s no reward for freeing them. You don’t get anything, only three people ever really even seem to think it’s a good thing you’ve done. But the fact that you can do it makes you feel awesome, despite a lack of gameplay reward. And second, the game is full of stupid weapons. There are short swords, long swords, broadswords, dirks, katanas, wakizashis, daikatanas, spears, you name it. Most of them are bad. Nobody will ever use a spear for its stats. But damn if they aren’t fun to use, and they fill out the setting sooo well.

I know this doesn’t sound like a glowing review, but it really is worth it. Only played the game through once, and that was vanilla (Well, a modified launcher so I could play in 1920×1080) and I had a great time. If you found something to fix the combat, and maybe tweak the magic system, there would really be remarkably few downsides to the game, as long as you have time to put into it. It’s not terribly rewarding if what you’re looking for is a chain of fights leading to a boss battle and a victory cinematic. The fun parts for me came when I forgot what my objective was, busy hunting the terrified natives across the swamps as a werewolf because a god whose shrine I stumbled into asked me to.

• stoyan says:

thanks for your reply – things you’ve described as rewarding and interesting are exactely what I’m looking for, so I’m pretty sure I will have a lot of fun with Morrowind. I know about bad fighting mechanics, but I guess that’s the problem I can deal with – what I’m looking for in such games is exploration and challenge. I wonder if the game has a difficulty settings though. But I guess I can go with graphic overhaul after what you’ve said. Thank you very much!

30. rsanchez1 says:

Incidentally, they happened to cherry-pick the best-looking parts of the mod.

I suppose any city or landscape looks good before you add the people in it.

• Xzi says:

Well this particular compilation doesn’t come with many changes to the way character and NPC models look, but it’s easy to add those if desired. The better bodies and better heads mods are helpful. Certain aspects of the game are still bound to look dated, but the fact that the vast majority of it can still be made to look better than any Xbox 360 game released in 2012 is pretty amazing.

31. derbefrier says:

I installed it last night with zero issues. Everything worked perfectly. It makes the game look pretty damn good. I was pretty impressed. Gonna start another play through as soon as i finish Borderlands 2.