Left 4 Dead 2 4 Free This Weekend

By John Walker on October 25th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

To celebrate Halloween, say Valve, they’re making Left 4 Dead 2 free this weekend. And by weekend, they mean from today (Thursday) until Monday. And by Halloween, they mean stopping days short of Halloween. Ladies and gentlemen: Valve Time.

This means by following this link (and yes, this does use the steam:// protocol that Valve never found time to respond to) you can install L4D2 on your Steam account, and it’ll be there, being free and yours to play, until Monday morning.

Current players can add a new achievement (weee) if they help a newbie survive a map over the weekend, hopefully encouraging everyone to get along and not have regular players throw a TF2 weekend style tantrum about it. Fancy a weekend with the zombies?

, , .

1. MrNash says:

Organ Trail is still my Halloween game of choice. Introduced to me by the fine folks of RPS no less. =D

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Surely it should be “Left 4 Dead 2 4 0 This Weekend”

Bluerps says:

Wait. Left 4 Dead will be “too free”? What does that mean? How can it be too …
    Oh wait. Nevermind.

4. 1Life0Continues says:

So I’m guessing this free version will also be privvy to the insanely stupid censorship BS for Australian and German customers?

I have L4D, but put off getting L4D2 because, well, Australia. If this sends me to the same butchered version, I don’t suppose there’s any point really.

• WoundedBum says:

As far as I’m aware, it’s a simple process to uncensor.

• Velko says:

“Butchered version” works on so many levels!

• Sugoi says:

Have someone from a country that has the non-censored version gift it to you. Should work like a charm, whether they gift it to you or trade it to you via steam trading.

5. RuySan says:

Always prefered L4D1 over this one. More subtle and atmospheric, but i suppose i am in the minority.

• LionsPhil says:

Bit passive-agressive, no?

L4D2′s inter-cast banter is a bit better written, though, I’d say.

• Juan Carlo says:

It’s more atmospheric, but basically everything else about L4D2 is better.

Especially VS. If you play L4D2 VS for any length you really can’t go back. The addition of the charger and spitter make things way more exciting.

Plus L4D2 has all of L4D1′s content now anyway.

• Pony Canyon says:

Agreed, the charger and the spitter were huge improvements for the game in general, but especially for versus mode. Survivors stacking up in a corner or a closet essentially had no counter in the original (well, except for the tank, but he tends to make his presence widely known, cue music). It was a huge problem for versus and it made co-op rather tedious and easy.

Agreed that the original wins in atmosphere, but to be honest, I view this as a multiplayer game first and as a horror game a very distant second. So superior game mechanics wins the day, at least for me.

• The Dark One says:

Yeah, even without the old campaigns, the changes to the gameplay were significant enough that I never wanted to play the original game again.

• Jesse L says:

I don’t like the second one. The daylight zombie invasion thing completely fails to work for me, and the level design doesn’t feel as strong. In the first game, every area gives me the “oh no this place” feeling. The second game doesn’t – each section of each stage goes on a little too long. I still play L4D every few months, but the first one much more often than the second. And I completely disagree about the second having better writing. The characters in the first game are so much better – the cast in the second doesn’t come together as a group, in my opinion, and don’t establish strong personalities.

• The Dark One says:

No, the first one has easily digestible archetypes for characters.

• Slurpy says:

You mean the redneck, the old guy, the guy in the suit, and the chick?

The best way to differentiate the casts is by saying the BLACK old guy or the BLACK chick or the BLACK guy in a suit.

Okay, two ways – the WHITE old guy, the WHITE. . . well, you get my point.

So no, L4D2 is NOT “archetype-free.”

I love Francis, and I love the atmosphere of the first game better (and the graffiti is hilarious, unlike in L4D2), but the second is definitely more balanced. Which is why my friends and I always play the L4D levels in L4D2.

Stellar Duck says:

The first game has two things I like more: smaller guns. For some reason the guns in the second are huge and take up a lot of screen. It also had a body on the player. I really lament they ditched that. I love the spatial awareness it gives. That was also the most baffling oversight in Dishonored I think, especially when they did it so great in Dark Messiah.

• Juan Carlo says:

I could be wrong, but they might add the bodies on the players eventually. I know people bitched because they didn’t port the female animations from L4D1 in, so for a long time L4D2′s Zoey was just a reskinned Rochelle, but they finally got around to this recently.

I don’t know about the reason for the no body thing, though. Was it to save memory? Or did the body conflict with the charger animations or something?

Stellar Duck says:

I assume there’s a technical reason (probably memory on the 360 or something) but it just saddened me a bit. I love the game, make no mistake, I just miss my legs.

• stupid_mcgee says:

IIRC, steallerduck is correct that it was a memory thing for the 360 version. Basically, removing the player’s body’s let them be able to render more zombies on screen.

• Jahkaivah says:

No I think a lot of people would agree that Left 4 Dead 1 was more atmospheric. I also found when replaying it that it did a much better job of building tension when a horde was about to strike.

And one thing I certainly miss was how the Tanks would actually finish players off. Not only did it make them much more threatening, it resulting in those terrifying moments when you’re stuck on the ground, helplessly firing your pistol(s) at one staring down at you, just before pummeling you into oblivion.

• dE says:

Well minority it might be, but certainly not alone. I bounced right off L4D2. Which was odd, because mechanically the game was quite similar in a lot of aspects. I needed to overhear a conversation between two adolescents talking about the game, to realize why L4D2 never ticked with me.
      It’s how they were only ever talking about chainsaws, concerts, clowns, bombs, explosions and mass murdering the shit out of vast hordes of zombies. L4D2 had too much “BAM” and not enough “BOO” for me. It was all so much in your face, so hypercharged on any possible zombie cliché they could find that it moved right out of my interest zone. L4D2 is a logical conclusion though, it’s essentially the +1 edition with everything having undergone the procedure of “how can we top this?”. Just compare the ads to see their shift in focus. To quote Clutch (the band from the tv-ad)from the second one “Bang, bang, bang, vamanos, vamanos! Baaang, bang, bang, vamanos vamanos”.

Vandelay says:

The improvements they made to L4D2 definitely make it a better game, but it is a pity they decided to make it so the new infected have rather limited uses. The more open levels make many of the specials, particularly the Spitter and Jockey, very situational. It also makes the more accurate tier 2 weapons even more lethal.

I’ve not played too much since they have added the original maps, but I imagine they cater to the new infected far better then the L4D2 maps.

Also, I personally preferred playing Scavenge over Versus. The shorter game lengths meant that people were more likely to stick around for the whole game. The layout of some of the maps also encouraged Survivors to split, opening up more possible attack places, instead of the very fixed places that attacks were viable in the linear Versus mode.

6. Ricc says:

Surely the headline should have been “Left 4 Dead 2 4 3 this weekend”?

7. SkittleDiddler says:

I might check it out this weekend before I finally uninstall it for good, but I don’t relish experiencing any further pub matches with the worst community this side of DoTA.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

Yeah; I was a bit late to the L4D2 party, got the game months after release, and it’s just not worth playing unless you’re doing it with a group of friends. The bots aren’t that fun to play with, but they are more fun than the hordes who play L4D2 online, either in vs or coop.

• Juan Carlo says:

I’ve never had a problem with the Co-op community. Apart from the rare troll, co-op pub games have always been great. I’ve beaten every single campaign on expert–all in pub games.

The VS community can suck and if you are new to the game you will definitely take a few knocks/kicks while you learn the ropes, but in my experience it doesn’t really suck any worse than any team based competitive game where team play is a strong factor.

8. The Random One says:

I’ll try it, but I doubt I’ll like it better than Killing Floor.

OH CRAP FIREFOX DIDN’T ASK ME IF I WANTED TO OPEN STEAM, ALL IS DOOMED D:

9. Numerical says:

Both games had their own strong points. I must say though, I do enjoy the first one more simply due the the map choices but i was playing both up until they added the first game’s content into LFD2.

For some reason my LFD2 always seems to screw up within steam and tries to reinstall the entire game every few months, so I uninstalled it and just play the first one anyway now. Never had an issue wit that one.

10. Bremenacht says:

This isn’t free at all. Playing this game for ‘free’ means you are shilling yourself for Valve, and you should report yourself to the Levenson enquiry as a result.

• Vinraith says:

I sometimes wonder whether Valve doesn’t employ people like this, just to make any legitimate criticism of Steam look insane by association.

Then I remember it’s the internet, and all the crazy you could ever want is available free of charge.

tumbleworld says:

Can you shill yourself to yourself in order to subtly influence yourself without telling yourself about it? Where do I sign up?