And Now Pid Has An Easy Mode

By Nathan Grayson on December 5th, 2012 at 8:33 am.

Notoriously gorgeous platformer Pid heralds from a developer called Might and Delight, and that seems about right. (Disclaimer: that rhyme was completely abysmal, and I am highly ashamed of it. Naturally, I’ve taken my own life in penance.) Sure, it wields a flower bouquet of colorful charm in one hand, but the other’s made of pure iron and prone to crushing dreams. The gravity-warping hop-a-thon’s even drawn comparisons to the likes of Super Meat Boy in terms of sheer difficulty – albeit sans the latter’s wonderfully tight controls. Might and Delight, though, hasn’t turned a deaf ear to complaints. Instead, it’s released a free easy mode that overhauls the whole game. That’s quite an apology.

Might and Delight gave a quick rundown of the new difficulty level on Pid’s website, noting that the team’s goal was to augment harder modes with a version that could be “enjoyed by everyone.”

“In Pid’s Easy Mode we have redesigned nearly ALL levels and maybe most importantly made ALL the boss fights shorter and more simple. We have studied the reviews and playthroughs on YouTube thoroughly to determine how we can create a version of the game that can be enjoyed by everyone.”

“You can now also change the difficulty mid-game without having to restart the game.”

On top of that, Might and Delight has done some smoothing on normal mode’s difficulty spikes, so it shouldn’t be quite so prone to making shishkebabs out of your patience now.

To be sure, it’s an incredible show of support for a game many people have already given them money for. It is, however, a bit of a shame that controls – one of Pid’s main lightning rods for criticism – didn’t receive much attention. Then again, that could be next on Might and Delight’s docket. Fingers crossed.

If you’re interested, there’s now a demo up on Steam. The full game, meanwhile, is on sale as part of the Big Picture launch spectacularmathon, so you’ve got options. And you like those, don’t you? Because I’m really only doing all of this for your happiness. Oh, and the fabulous wealth. But I mean, I thought that part was obvious.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. BobMoron says:

I don’t get it. Why didn’t they call this the girlfriend mode, plain and simple?

• Heliocentric says:

They should call it cat walked across keyboard and completed the game mode, then make it so every key press is the right one and the game slows down to a pause if you miss a beat.

• NailBombed says:

Maybe because they didn’t want to come across as ignorant misogynistic gobsheens? Just a thought. ‘Girlfriend Mode’ is not a thing, nor should it ever be a thing.

• Kinch says:

You live up to your name, BobMoron, don’t you. ;)

I can certainly understand why they’ve made the game more user-friendly, or ‘easier’ if you will. It didn’t sell well at all and received mixed reviews. To counter that, they release a demo, then fine-tuned the difficulty and reduced the game’s price.

I’ve been interested in Pid since its release and I’ve had it on my Steam wishlist for a while. Will probably buy it now with the game being 40% off on Steam. Heck, it’s worth it at least for the awesome visuals and music.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

*whoooosh*

Okay, it’s already clarified but I always wanted to do that. *whooosh*

*whooooooooooooooooosh*

For some reason just typing that makes me happy. It’s a playful, imaginative thing. Like a kid running around in the backyard pretending to fly. *whoooooooosh*

• Shepardus says:

Are people not getting the reference or something?

2. Fanbuoy says:

No mention of this update being PC exclusive? Apparently, console kids are a little more hardcore than PC gamers.

• I Got Pineapples says:

Well, the console kids are younger. So they don’t have the crippled, arthritic old man (Or old lady) hands of pc gamers . Nor are they trying to play games on office equipment.

You don’t want them to ever make games actually for the console kids.

They are faster, stronger and more terrible than we ever were.

• InternetBatman says:

Yes, either that or the devs have to pay $50k to patch it in.

3. Choca says:

I honestly did not find it that hard in the regular difficulty setting. The bosses are pretty infuriating but that looked intentional. The hard mode is balls out insanely difficult, though.

4. erutan says:

That’s a gorgeous trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTInO0o9MFc amazing sound direction.

5. suibhne says:

What a magnificently attractive, well-produced, spirited game. My aversion to platformers (or their aversion to me) means I’ll probably wait for an even better sale, tho, to make up for this eventually being one of those games that sits unplayed, forlorn, in my Steam Library.

6. Surgeon says:

If only you’d play tested it first you could have saved yourself all that bother.

7. Shadrach says:

I think the problem with some of the smaller indie game studios is they do not prioritize user testing except for the close circle of developers and their friends, and people who sign up for betas, who are already really into “hardcore” mode platformers.

So these people get used to the gameplay and learn it over a period of several months, and get to be really good, and they basically assume the game is easier than it really is. When new players come who have only seen some screenshots and think it looks like a fun platformer, they get frustrated.

8. MistyMike says: