Disordered Diaries: Chaos Chronicles

By Adam Smith on December 17th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Chaos Chronicles was announced back in August, which is so long ago that I’d entirely forgotten that the game was in development. When I saw the trailer at 8.30 this morning I was still half asleep, and twenty seconds of music that might as well be a man repeatedly saying ‘this is a fantasy RPG’ along with short scenes of characters running around and doing very little almost tipped me back into unconsciousness. And then hexes appeared and the turn-based part of my brain woke up and immediately went into overwatch. Observe.

The developers previously worked on Jagged Alliance: Back In Action, which showed an understanding of how to make tactical combat interesting, even if the game as a whole didn’t quite come together.

, , .

1. JackDandy says:

Oh, fuck YES.

I’ve been really wanting to play something like this. Will keep an eye out for this one.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Agreed, mite b cool.

• frightlever says:

Reminds me, somewhat, of Temple of Elemental Evil from Troika.

• harrylimet says:

on this note i would like to know the hive mind`s opinion on temple of elemental evil . is it worth playing after the community had years to fix it ?

• pegolius says:

Funny enough I installed the latest CO8 Patch ( http://www.co8.org/forum/ ) just two days ago because I was in “need to play something from the backlog”-mode and I have to say that with this patch ToEE is very much playable. It even manages to fix the pathing issues to some extend.

• harrylime says:

thanks for the fast reply. as its currently supercheap on gog i guess i will give it a go

• werix says:

Thanks for this, ToEE is one of the games on my back log. I can get to it once I finish The Witcher, The witcher 2, Planescape: torment, Baulder’s gate 1 and 2 . . . and the list goes on. I was deprived and didnt play any of the old Iso-metric RPGs growing up save Fallout 1 and 2.

But yeah, when I get around to it, ill play with this patch.

• squareking says:

If you’re not easily turned off by standard D&D character creation and development, it’s very easily worth your time. It was one of the first D&D-type things I played, so it was mostly trial and error, but I stuck with it because I found it so engaging. Definitely grab the Circle of 8 modpack for your first playthrough — they killed hundreds of bugs and added delicious new stuff. The combat is exceptional, the visuals have aged extremely well, the writing is great, there’s quite a lot of replayability…it’s on sale now on GOG and might be cheaper if they have an RPG daily sale, too.

• harmlos says:

Depends on what you’re looking for. If you are looking for an RPG with an engaging story, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a game that does tactical combat in a D&D setting really well, look no further.

2. bill says:

I’ve always thought watching parties of adventurers run around makes for a really boring looking trailer.

But I just watched The Hobbit and now i think it looks like all the long shots in that movie.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

I want to put my thing in this game.

4. gravity_spoon says:

Fantasy….rpg
    *snore*

How about someone make an isometric sci-fi arpg this time ? I don’t recall any except “Greed Black Border” which could hardly be called as a hallmark of that type.

• frightlever says:

For someone who wants a SF ARPG you haven’t been paying attention. There was Space Hack and Space Siege, also Metalhearts (less said the better) and… oh. At least another one. Edit: and Dark Spore.

• gravity_spoon says:

Space Siege looks equivalent to (if not worse than) Greed and I played DarkSpore when it came out. It was a fucking mess. See this is the reason why there needs to be more sci-fi isometric arpgs. There is no innovation in that area and there is only so many times one can save the world from an ancient mystical evil.

• Zanchito says:

Yeh, all Sci-fi ARPGs in memory are pretty terrible, thats a pity.

• elsparko says:

Who wants to see the n-th installment of some Tolkien-clone world…

• Lawful Evil says:

I want…

• Tuco says:

I frankly don’t give a damn about the setting.
        It’s an interesting turn based, party based tactical RPG.
        That’s pretty much all I need to know.

• SooSiaal says:

Have you checked out Underrail? Isometric sci-fi rpg thats currently in alpha stage.
      *edit*
      http://www.underrail.com/ a link for you lazy lot, also, it is turn based

• InternetBatman says:

There’s also Harbinger, by Silverback games. It’s kinda meh. But this isn’t an ARPG, so I don’t know why you’re complaining.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The idea that you’d have to go from fantasy to scifi for a fresh perspective seems weird since those are the two big cliches of gaming.

How about a high school setting? Steampunk? Colonial times? Polynesian trade? Streetgangs? Chinese history?

• gravity_spoon says:

I did not say lets limit it to sci-fi did I ? And yes that is how a change is perspective is needed ? I am getting fucking tired of elves and dwarves in aprgs after about a decade.

5. man-eater chimp says:

I also have a similar part of my brain that immediately wakes me up if I come across turn-based video games I’m the morning.

Other stimuli’s include bacon, permadeath and juggling.

6. ThatAznGuy says:

I’m intrigued to say the least. Won’t pre-order it like I did with Jagged Alliance since we all know how that ended.

7. Th30n says:

Combat is turn based!
    It has hexes!
    The game mechanics are based on D&D 3.5 OGL Ruleset and the developers are particularly inspired by Temple of Elemental Evil from Troika!
    I think I have a winner for my most anticipated turn based tactical CRPG :D

Not gonna preorder though, because they really botched the Jagged Alliance remake :(

8. vedder says:

I read Dishonored Diaries :(

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I also did this

• Atrocious says:

Lol! Yep, I also read it. “How the f*** is this related to Dishonored? …. Ah, I see.”

Looks like an interesting game though!

9. Kem0sabe says:

If the game is anything like the previous game from these guys… JA Back in action, then i won´t be expecting too much from Chaos Chronicles.

Anyways, the level graphics at least look nice, characters not so much.