Death Notes: Mine Your Step

By Adam Smith on March 8th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Mine Your Step communicates with text rather than speech, but I didn’t need to hear him to know that R. Lee Ermey was barking at me as I skirted around the bloody remnants of those who had gone before. It’s a free, browser-based asynchronous multiplayer game, in which Ermey’s commands provide clues but the best method of plotting a course through each level is to let hundreds of other people play first. There are mines, you see, and stepping on one turns even the hardiest soldier into a blood puddle. Those puddles have purpose though, eventually forming a border, marking the one safe path. You can read the names of the dead, little more than signposts now. Sort of reminds me of VESPER5, except the solitude and ritual have become explosions and blood. Via Indiegames.com.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Harlander says:

It’s R. Lee Ermey, isn’t it?

I mean, Isn’t it, you worthless maggot!?!?

2. Lanfranc says:

“…except the solitude and ritual have become explosions and blood.”

Change we can believe in!

3. The Random One says:

I’m not sure I like it. It’s unsolvable if you’re one of the first players and just a strolling through the blood-covered park if you’re not.

4. Nixitur says:

It seems like it tages ages to load the blood which makes the game completely unplayable. Hell, it doesn’t even show your own blood of the previous tries.
    Also, this really reminds me of Deaths by Jesse Venbrux where the bodies not only serve as signs of where somebody died, but also as platforms.

5. Personoic says:

And the sign said, “The words of the prophets
    Are written on the meadow floors
    And bunker doors.”
    And whisper’d in the sounds of explosions.

6. benkc says:

This seems like it would have been a lot more interesting if a bunch of people (50+?) were playing it at once, the board started out empty, and it was a race. Perhaps you could evoke something similar by recording when each death was relative to the player starting the game, and displaying them at that time delta; eg, if Dudeguy dies at 5, 12, and 26 seconds in, then his blood splotches appear on your screen after you’ve had it loaded for 5, 12, 26 seconds.

Johnny Go-Time says:

Hmm agreed, kind of like TrackMania (at least when you’re a miserable driver like me…)

…TrackMine-ia…?

• El_Emmental says:

WARNING: Press SHIFT to run.

The board starting empty is a bug. I think the developer didn’t stress-tested his system enough before going live and the servers weren’t providing the blood decals at some point.

In my case I just started playing it and it was filled with blood (up until the level 11, who’s half-bloodied (I’m currently trying to find the remaining half), but I think it’s more due to people giving up at that point rather than a bug.

The overall idea is neat, but I think it would be better if we could start over from checkpoint (little flags scattered around the map) or lead a squad of 5 soldiers (the 4 following your movement, a few meters behind) : not everyone can sink a full hour in a one-cool-trick-pony game.

EDIT: ho crap “too many deaths on lvl11, seems that not all blood is loaded. http://www.greenslimegames.com/games/html5/mine_your_step/heatmap.php?level=11&type=large … is much clearer”. It’s a bug !

EDIT 2 : solution there => http://youtu.be/SCM6jDOS3Xw?t=2m22s (select 720p, pause)

EDIT 3 : (8 march, official Twitter) “Blood is now limited to 600 deaths – level 11 has 5000 deaths and was reducing peoples cpus to tears.” :/ That’s why I gave up on level 13.

• El_Emmental says:

Heatmaps: http://www.greenslimegames.com/games/html5/mine_your_step/heatmaps.php

It can help a little, especially since there’s a limit to blood decals (until next update ?).

7. Josh W says:

The learning curve seems a little steep in places, it really seems to encourage trial and error after a certain point.

I’d have preferred it if the patterns of the mine laying slowly developed of their own accord through levels, so that you can make educated guesses about what might be coming next, but there’s still something to be said for the slow brute force of loads of people getting stuck on a certain level and filling out it’s details.

That in itself may eventually form a kind of automatic difficulty adjustment..