Hidden Path’s Windborne Looks Lovely

By Jim Rossignol on August 14th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

You will probably be most familiar with Hidden Path via Defense Grid or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, which are games quite unlike what they are working on now, which is Windborne. This is a game where the players have floating islands full of weird fluffy creatures and perhaps dragons. It’s a game of exploration, puzzle solving, crafting, questing, doing things with dragons, and construction. It also mingles single-player and multiplayer worlds to tantalising effect. Speaking with Destructoid, Hidden Path’s Michael Austin explained that there is “an evolving single-player mystery that players can choose to investigate at their own pace, and you can continue to invest time in your island or guide it towards a self-sustaining state in order to focus more on exploration, interaction, and collaboration with other players… just completely ignore the quest lines and just build, and at any point you can take your single-player world online.”

Cor! Feel-good trailer below.

There’s going to be a big dragon breeding and hatching theme in there, but apparently one dragon will be special for you, and you will have a closer relationship with it. Aw!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Hahaha says:

Nice, getting a zelda vibe from the gfx

2. LionsPhil says:

…a big dragon breeding and hatching theme in there, but apparently one dragon will be special for you, and you will have a closer relationship with it.

If you know what they mean.

3. Shodex says:

I don’t really get excited for these slightly shameless Minecraft knock-offs.
    But I’ll probably wind up playing this.

• Viroso says:

Oh you’re just full of hot air.

• Bull0 says:

Yep, if you build things out of blocks, it’s a minecraft rip-off. And all those games where you shoot things with guns are shamelessly stealing from Wolfenstein 3D

• vedder says:

The lack of puns in your post just blows me away.

• Bull0 says:

I thought about it, but it would’ve been borne purely out of a desire to appease the masses. I find pun threads a bit of a wind up.

• Shodex says:

I’m usually quite lenient with procedurally generated games about building, I get that it’s the latest craze.
        But first-person block based environments with a tray of items at the bottom is getting a little too close to be just “inspiration.”

That said, you should reread the last sentence of my comment. I fear the point of it blew right past you.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, because I replied to your actual comment instead of the pun I clearly didn’t “get” it. Puns are, after all, the cleverest and most subtle form of wit.

• Shodex says:

But the comment’s contents only exists to serve the pun. I was gust trying to make a funny, not start some huge debate on the nature of (un)originality. There’s no reason to put on airs, puns are fun and I’m not saying I’m above you just because you didn’t catch one.

4. RCoon says:

Is it a F2P MOBA too? Better hit as many cash-cow points as possible, why not have zombies too?

5. DutchDrunk says:

I must play this.

Now.

6. bstard says:

HP work harder on DG2, not on this girly fluff!

7. Bhazor says:

I like how ripping off Minecraft has gotten so pervasive that it isn’t even worth mentioning anymore. I’d feel bad for Notch getting copied so much but given he’s a billionaire (either already there or rapidly approaching it) I’d say he’s got his dues for it.

8. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Think this is one for the daughter/missus!

I get the feeling that Jim has been on a stimulant fueled article binge!!

9. SuicideKing says:

Well, Hidden Path made a mess of Age of Empires HD….

10. KevinLew says:

I don’t mind games that want to use the mining and crafting mechanic of That Other Game. I’m really hoping, however, that this isn’t another game whose primary focus is, “We let you do whatever you want, and build whatever you want”, because eventually people will just realize that they can do that already in many other games and they have no reason to play this one.

Comment on this story