Nothing But Net (Profits): NBA Live 14 Has Ultimate Team

By Graham Smith on October 29th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

What's that smell?

Hey, remember that terrible addictive thing that’s consuming my life from FIFA 14? Well, EA are adding it to NBA Live 14, their attempt at taking back the basket-to-ball market from 2K Sports NBA series. This makes perfect sense, but I never saw it coming.

What other games might EA soon add Ultimate Team to?

As detailed in a blog post on the official site, players can earn coins in Ultimate Team by playing normal matches, online friendlies, or by competing in Fantasy Showdowns. The latter see you facing off against line-ups of famous players, and the examples given include playing against “last year’s stats leaders or the top draft classes from the last 20 years”. That sounds cool, but can I play against a team of Charles Barkley’s armed with only the chaos dunk?

There’s a lot of rightful skepticism around EA’s new basketball game, because the company’s previous attempts were less than stellar, and they abandoned the series sometime ago. Meanwhile, 2K’s NBA 2K14 and its predecessor’s aren’t just fine basketball games, they’re perhaps the best sport games ever made, period. Ultimate Team is a tasty carrot that might lure me in its direction for a bite, but it’s unlikely that even a behemoth like EA Sports can overcome its rivals with a single game.

Anyway, I’m rooting for Commander & Conquer: Ultimate Team. Win battles to unlock cards that let you form your team. Open a pack, what’s inside? Two psychic squid and a dog in a jeep using a megaphone to hurt people’s ears. EA: make it happen.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Zankmam says:

I indeed am interested in how NBA Live 14 will pan out. As I understand, it won’t be available for the PC, so 2K14 will still reign on that platform, but in the console market there should once again be a good rivalry.

2K NBA games are great and all, but I think it’s a great time to introduce back their old rivals to try and shake things up – hopefully as a positive for the players.

• joshg says:

I was wondering if this being posted here meant that EA was returning to their abandoned platform.

Ah, memories. (Of being laid off.)

• airmikee99 says:

EA abandoned the PC?

Huh, I’ll have to inform my Sims, since they’re the top two best selling PC games of all time. I sure hope they don’t expect me to show up on a Battlefield that’s just outside a Sim City.

• CptPlanet says:

Well, considering this is going to be the worst game on the next gen consoles, sadly it’s not going to happen.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah I always preferred NBA Live to 2K back when it was released on PC, specifically played a huge amount of NBA Live 2004 and 2005, then they stopped releasing them after 2006 (which was far inferior to the previous 2), I would defo give Live a try if they released for the PC again as I find 2K quite slow and boring and the user interface makes me want to start cutting myself.

2. Baboonanza says:

That gentleman appears to have replaced the skin on his shoulders with faux-leather. These sportsmen do have the funniest fashions.

3. TomA says:

Surely it’s ball-to-basket?

• identiti_crisis says:

It’s like a meta-double-entendre of sorts: it’s got that absurd vibe in itself, as a funny thing to say, (or maybe it’s just a reminder of relativism: is the aeroplane moving, or is it the Earth? Imagine a basketballer perfectly stationary in “mid-air”, whilst the basket, court and entire universe swivels to slam-dunk the ball), plus it’s an obvious riff on “foot-to-ball”, which was only ever facaetiously intended in the first place (I assume)!

In other words, you fell for it. :)

4. remon says:

Seriously, what the hell is up with the console coverage?

You still haven’t posted anything about the new AMD cards, and you’re here talking about a company that, other than the FIFA series, has long abandoned the PC.

5. InternetBatman says:

Agree with the console coverage complaints. No Kickstarter Katchup, but a superfluous article on an EA sports title not even on the PC makes me sad.

6. robinge says:

my classmate’s step-aunt makes $68 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her income was $21037 just working on the laptop for a few hours………:> >>>> http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

7. xf11 says:

“hey’re perhaps the best sport games ever made, period”
    haven’t read further.
    amount of bs going over the top

Comment on this story