Worlds Wot War: Battle Worlds – Kronos

By Adam Smith on October 29th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Battle Worlds: Kronos has had a quick turnaround, from healthy Kickstarter campaign to finished product. The Kickstarter launched in March, a feature-packed beta for backers was delivered in Autumn and the game will launch on November 4th. The name recalls Blue Byte’s Battle Isle series, but as I learned when I spoke to the developers, their game draws inspiration from all manner of turn-based strategy:

…while the name of the game is clearly a nod to Blue Byte’s great series, there is a lot of games we draw inspiration from when it comes to TBS, like Advance Wars or the SSI classics Panzer General, Fantasy General and so on.

Not a bad roster of support units. The latest video shows the multiplayer features, which include hot-seat, cross-platform and asynchronous play. It’s looking very solid but I’m not convinced that the chap playing on his iPad in the video is actually on a bus, as the voiceover suggests.

I was hoping to take a look before launch but the days have passed, lost in time, like tears in the eternal British rain.

King Art have this to say:

We’re giving the customers a good large game for their money. We provide free cross-platform multiplayer, a league and – early next year – the free DLC “Trains”, which contains a new campaign and introduces a whole new unit class. We think that’s a pretty good deal. If enough players support us by buying the game legally instead of pirating it, we’ll adopt a no-DRM policy as a company policy.

BATTLE TRAINS

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. karthink says:

“If enough players support us by buying the game legally instead of pirating it, we’ll adopt a no-DRM policy as a company policy.”

I don’t know what they’re expecting. What I’m expecting is the usual 90% piracy figures, the accompanying hand-wringing and moaning by the developer, and a reactionary DRM move of some kind that will only cause collateral damage and leave the pirates unfettered. If they had said instead that they would make the game DRM free if they sell X copies, it would have been more sensible.

EDIT: It looks like a sales target is indeed what they mean, not some sketchy piracy figure. Good on them, then.

Now, about the game itself: It’s looking good, and very much like something I’d pick up once I get bored of XCOM multiplayer. (I think in the dissenting opinions on Kickstarter that are springing up everywhere, we focus too much on how the million dollar games seem poised to disappoint, and forget about the many games of this kind that we’ve seen come out.)

2. Kefren says:

Target acquired: Blade Runner reference from Adam.

3. Moraven says:

Looking forward to some asynchronous with some RPSers.

Good to see a KS get funded, stick to their development plan and complete it. Based on the latest beta changes I can imagine a bit of crunch. Hope they sell well after they launch.

4. stahlwerk says:

Oh, how I loved the railway guns in BlueBytes History Line 1914-18.

5. Recurve says:

This will be the first Kickstarter I’ve backed that’s actually been released, (as far as games go anyway.) Really looking forward to this one.

Turn based strategy has made a huge comeback lately. Long may it continue.

6. guygodbois00 says:

Any news on release date, Anybody-Really? Kickstarter page says something like December 2013, but I highly doubt that . I wish it to be great and also to be finished before Wasteland 2, so I could get my turn-based fix soon.

7. garythehobo says:

looks quite interesting, but i’m quite annoyed its not about killing klingons

8. Jimbo says:

Oooo, did I back this? I think I backed this.

9. Granath says:

If you read their forums, their own backers are saying this isn’t ready for prime-time yet. Maybe they’re wrong, but that’s not a good omen.

10. Diziet Sma says:

The currency conversion in their online store is quite interesting.

(29.95 EUR ±= $39.95) != £27.17

Give or take the EUR to USD prices are equivalent but the GBP price is 10% higher. Odd but not insufferable. Was going to pick this up but the price is higher than I was expecting for an impulse buy. Still it’s on my watch list now, looks right up my street.

• colw00t says:

The extra 10% in GBP may represent taxes that they aren’t responsible for on international sales.

11. LionsPhil says:

I love that he guiltily alt-tabs to ponies on his work computer.

12. Don Reba says:

I will be brutally honest here — this game looks pretty great.

13. johnnyr says:

Can anyone in the beta comment on the game? How is it? Looks great.

14. robinge says:

my classmate’s step-aunt makes $68 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her income was $21037 just working on the laptop for a few hours………:> >>>> http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

15. OscarWilde1854 says:

My little pony, my little pony I used to wonder what friendship could be! Until you all shared its magic with me! Big adventure! Tons of fun! A beautiful heart! Faithful and strong! Sharing kindness, its an easy feat! And magic makes it all complete!!! Do you know……. err….. sorry.. umm.. game looks good.. and stuff.
    cough *manly stuff * cough