Smuggling The E3 Trophy Home: Elite – Dangerous

By Adam Smith on June 11th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

There was a time when I’d look forward to E3 for weeks in advance. It’s not that the event was better in ye olde days, it’s that it held the possibility of surprises from beginning to end. We know so much now, with daft sites like Rock, Paper, Scattergun reporting on every fart and sigh that emerges from yesterday’s indie sensations. Where’s the mystery? If you’ll excuse the foot-to-ball analogy, it’s like the difference between watching a World Cup in the seventies and watching one now. Back then, every overseas player was an enigmatic bundle of esoteric skills – now, you’re probably wearing underpants with their name on or eating a biscuit in the shape of their head.

In a world with so little mystery, I’m not at all disappointed to find that my favourite E3 trailer so far is for a game I’ve already played. Elite: Dangerous continues to excite.

A couple of things to note here. The first is that this has chiselled a way straight into my nervous centre with far more power than No Man’s Sky. That’s partly because I’ve played it – I know the fundamentals are in place and that they’re strong. Secondly, now that I’m thinking of No Man’s Sky I kind of want Elite’s eventual planetary landings to take an Amazon’s worth of leaves from Hello’s game. And, sod it, I also want Distant Worlds to incorporate Elite’s engine for optional control of individual ships.

That’s ridiculous obviously but a couple of years ago, so was the idea of a resurrected Elite game on this scale. I’ve used the phrase already once this week but it’s worth repeating to cut through the unavoidable and oft-justified weariness and cynicism – these are exciting times. So much to look forward to.

, , , , , .

1. wsjudd says:

Is it the Premium Beta (£100 tier) that has just started? When is standard beta (£50) beginning? I’d quite like to get started, but £100 is too much, I feel…

• BobbyDylan says:

Best estimates put the Gamma in September. So current opinion on Standard Beta is July. I hope they release the SP scenarios to the Standard Beta backers.

• derbefrier says:

same here. I would probably bite the bullet and jump in but i already spent too much on Star Citizen so its hard for me to justify spending even more money on another space game. This is a day one buy though once the cheaper beta is released.

• Taidan says:

Keep in mind that the “Premium Beta” includes the £35 lifetime “Expansion Pass”, which is looking to be a very good investment at the moment.

If you think there’s a chance that you might want to stick with the game for a while, the difference between the “Standard Beta”+Expansions and the “Premium Beta” works out at £15. (Which is still £15 too much when it comes to testing these things, but if you’re impatient to jump in…)

As an aside, I did indeed buy the Premium beta pack, and the game is very good indeed. (I did some mental gymnastics to sell it to myself, the main one being that the £85 I paid for the package still only comes in at less than a tenth of what I spent on WoW.)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yep, that was my reasoning aswell, the premium beta is far more enticing if you look at it that way.

Gotta say that i spent quite a lot of bucks on both SC and E:D combined, but who cares, they’re heralding a new era ( yay for hyperbole! ) and that’s all that matters.

• Taidan says:

I spent a lot of bucks on SC as well, but the larger portion of that expenditure got a chunk of my Xmas shopping done for friends, so win/win.

• derbefrier says:

Oh yeah I agree. I have sat and stared at the screen with my mouse over the buy button more than a few times. What I should have done was buy this instead of the new wolfenstien and watchdogs while I was on vacation……I just didn’t think about it

Cinek says:

Expansion packs are going to be mandatory?
          Cause if not – then it’s still a very poor deal.

• Cockie says:

How can an expansion pack be mandatory?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

They surely can feel mandatory, especially if they include extremely major gameplay features, which they will.

Let’s just put it this way, Frontier has a very “ancient” mindset when it comes to asking for money, there are far more flexible models that, if handled right, might have made the game more money while scaring less people away.

• Keyrock says:

I’ll wait for y’all to work through all the bugs for me and buy it when it releases proper.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The bugs are most definitely there, some proactiveness in saving your game before you lose your 20k credits run for something stupid, or waiting plenty of minutes on apparently endless loading screens/supercruise exits and so on.

Still, great game.

c-Row says:

Remember how games sometimes look better in your nostalgia tainted memory than they actually used to? Well, Elite: Dangerous already looks better than what young me remembers from First Encounters.

3. udat says:

This does look amazing. With each passing trailer and update I wish I had backed this rather than Star Citizen. I might have to upgrade my PC to play either though.

I still think it’s kinda funny that they subtitled this game “Dangerous” though. Isn’t that the level _below_ Elite? It’s kinda like calling a Die Hard sequel Die Slightly Easier.

• BobbyDylan says:

Lol. That’s not too far off.

• NukeWithG says:

The second Die Hard was called Die Hard 2: Die Harder, why wasn’t the third one Die Hard 3: Die slightly easier than Die Harder but still Harder then the first movie?

• Lemming says:

I was corrected on this on another Elite article. It’s even worse, as Dangerous is two below Elite. There’s one in the between.

• Iainn says:

An article on another PC Gamer-ing website had Braben stating:
      “…elite pilots can ‘bless’ other pilots with lower ratings, but who they feel are of the same quality and ability as one of the elite. They just haven’t got the rank yet. So they’re ‘elite dangerous’ as in not actually elite, but they’re allowed to use that rank.”
      I think that sort of makes the game title make a bit more sense.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I guess we can agree it’s not the best title ever conceived anyway.

4. Perjoss says:

As a colossal Elite fan from way back in the speccy days it really is like a dream come true to not only see a sequel to this magnificent series finally being made but to also see how amazing it looks. So far it really has exceeded all my expectations. I first started to get excited when I played LostWinds, that game proved to me that Frontier can pull off a really well designed and polished top quality title.

Colthor says:

Is that… gameplay footage? That might even represent the actual game in some way?

Do they allow that at E3?

• Cockie says:

They did it when nobody was looking.

• Krazen says:

Nothing to worry about, the shots with character models look to be pre-rendered. I’m sure that meets the E3 requirements.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

I love how they just showed you the most boring bits of the game and set it to epic music. The Anaconda trailer was even worse — making sure to point out the presence of a Plasma Accelerator, and then going out of their way to not actually show it.

6. Solidstate89 says:

Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, No Man’s Sky, Juggernaut (which admittedly we know next to nothing about, but it still sounds exciting) and the myriad of other space based games that have been announced, this is a great time to be a fan of Space-based games.

Can’t wait for the full release of all of these.

• NukeWithG says:

Once I get these games and Oculus Rift, I will never leave my house. Ok, I might go buy food. And I guess I’d have to work to have money to pay for food and internet and electricity. But for nothing else! (Maybe for some chips though. I like chips.)

• SanguineAngel says:

All the major supermarkets deliver now! You can make money youtubing your videos of space death! sorted

• Lemming says:

Having seen the gameplay footage of Juggernaut, I wouldn’t really put it in the same category. It looks more like arena combat above ground.

• Solidstate89 says:

I didn’t even realize there was Gameplay footage of it yet.

• Lemming says:

Someone posted a video in the Juggernaut article thread on this very site. It’s all in German, which somehow makes it more fitting!

• lgfriess says:

I think I read the “dangerous” part of the title has to do with you being able to hire players that are of that rank to do Elite missions. Kind of, “Hey, you’re taking a risk by hiring this player that is good, but hasn’t done enough to earn the top rank.”

Edit; well this ended up in the wrong reply. Supposed to be up a few posts.

• Artist says:

“Jump around, yo-yo-yo! Jump around!” =)

thekeats1999 says:

I would have liked them to go the hole hog with the Subtitle. Either Elite – Elite or Elite – Mostly Harmless.

Edit – Should have been a reply. Oops.

8. gschmidl says:

That music is shaping up to be as amazing as Child of Light’s.

• mikmanner says:

I think Orchestral is the wrong way to go personally, it’s quite boring / generic. I would have liked something a bit more contemporary and grittier. Something similar to the new Ben Frost A U R O R A but less extreme and noisy could work. Give the universe a sense of place instead of just the same old moods typical to the genre.

• WhatKateDoes says:

I play the beta whilst mostly listening to this stream, mostly:

• Flank Sinatra says:

I love playing X3: Albion Prelude while listening to ambient music, like Stars of the Lid. It’s such a slow paced game with beautiful space art in every sector. Just mellow cruising around the star systems looking for bandits while my traders make my profits. It’s my happy place.

• Lemming says:

The best thing about Elite 2, was the fact they used classical music, as not only did it fit with the setting, it was public domain so they didn’t have to pay anyone a penny.

• ansionnach says:

Yes. Was hoping for a ship docking to Blue Danube in there somewhere!

thekeats1999 says:

It’s funny. All of the big games I am looking forward to have been shown of already. With being a backer to Elite I have already seen the actual gameplay videos. The Witcher 3 was the other one I wanted to see and CD Projeckt Reds show last week satisfied me there.

Then there is all the “Console Exclusive” rubbish which means you have to decipher if we are getting a game or not. E3 has just become a confusing mess. Although the Grim Fandango news proves there is still room to surprise.

10. Geebs says:

Needs more Strauss.

Matchstick says:

No docking computers (so far) so no Blue Danube

• udat says:

I also loved the title music from Elite 2, even if the game was a bit underwhelming. In fact the intro sequence to that game almost provided more entertainment than the game itself.

Harlander says:

I had a ST Format coverdisk demo of Elite 2 which was just that intro. It was enough to make me want to get it…

• Lemming says:

This is fan version, but it sounds more modern and bombastic so thought I’d post it rather than the midi original:

11. tomimt says:

This does make me drool. It’s kind of funny really how exited this new Elite makes me, as I never was that huge Elite player despite I did play the original Elite and Frontiers later on.

12. Artist says:

1984 – 2014: All hail to the mighty Coriolis!

13. fdisk says:

Can someone tell me why I should get this when I already backed Star Citizen? I’m not being a smart ass here, honest.

I think Star Citizen looks a lot more in depth and I’m loving Arena Commander so far. I’ve already dropped a lot of money on Star Citizen for an Avenger ship too. I know this is coming out sooner but the price tag is really hig and I’m hoping by that point Arena Commander is a lot more robust and/or Squadron 42 is out at least in Alpha or Beta form.

Is there a way in which this game is significantly different or in some respects better than Star Citizen or are they similar enough that I should just wait for Squadron 42?

My fear is that I play the crap out of this and then when Squadron 42 comes out I’m all space simmed out.

• Lemming says:

“I think Star Citizen looks a lot more in depth..”

No. I’d say Star Citizen is more like a Car game would be if it was designed for petrol heads. Elite’s design is more like a world where you get around by car, and are told you can do whatever you want. It’s not wrong to prefer one over the other, but I will eat my hat if Star Citizen can be said to be more ‘in depth’.

The only way to describe the scope of Elite is to play one of the previous two. As this new one is going to be that but with modern graphics and extra flourish

Squadron 42 is going to be a story-driven space shooter as far as I’m aware. It’s not a sandbox.

• fdisk says:

I wasn’t just refering to ships but to the way the economy will be driven, the gameplay itself, different roles people can take, societies, etc.

There’s also going to be an FPS with it that will allow for boarding ships and whatnot.

That’s what I meant by more depth, not just the ships. Is the multiplayer in this game just dog-fighting or is there going to be a persistent Universe with an economy, trading, roles, etc.?

• drakmaniso says:

Elite will have a fully simulated economy (we can already taste a very small part of it in the beta). As in, chains of productions are respected, and if there’s a penury somewhere (e.g. due to intense trading, a natural event or a political crisis), this will have a domino effect. The economy is obviously influenced by the players, but there is a few safety in place, so this won’t be truly “player driven” as in Eve. This means that large group of players won’t be able to collapse entire part of the market for their own benefit. Elite is more “lone wolf” than big corporations.

There is also some depth on the political side, even exploration is shaping up as very promising.

One huge difference with Star Citizen is the dogfighting. In Elite, your piloting skills are central to combat, and there is a *lot* to learn if you want to become any good, especially against other players. There is already a few commanders that have make themselves a name in the community just by what they can achieve with their sidewinders.

So, in the end, it all depends what kind of depth you’re looking for…

• fdisk says:

Gotcha, thanks. So Elite is also an MMO type Space Sim like Star Citizen? I just assumed it was a SP experienc with some multiplayer dog fighting sprinkled in.

• drakmaniso says:

Yes, they both have a permanent universe, and the action of players will have meaningful impact in both of them.

In Elite, the market will probably be the main part of the PU that players will be able to shape, but information will also play a role (e.g. discovering a new system, expanding the known part of the galaxy). It’s not clear yet what will be possible on the political side (but again, this not a game about huge guilds competing with each others; this is about making it’s way in a harsh unverse, meeting both friends and foes on the path).

• ilves says:

Holy hell people SC is in the first iteration of alpha, the devs have already stated unoquivically that the flight controls are complete WIP and nowhere near to final state. To state that decoupled mode and the current control mechanics of SC are shallow and easy to master and thats all that there will be is just idiotic.

• derbefrier says:

“In Star citizen, flying is very straightforward. Once you’ve understood how decoupled mode works, you’re done. The combat is won or lost depending on your aiming and shooting skills (and, also, the price of your ship).

for the record this is not true at all

also this could be(and has been) easily said of elite

• drakmaniso says:

I’m not saying that Star Citizen won’t have any depth, or that its combat won’t be incredible. With the money and enthusiasm behind it, it most probably will. I certainly hope so, as I have spent money in it, and is currently pondering spend a little more (I think I’ll enjoy Arena Commander a bit more with a 300i).

What is true however, is that Star Citizen aims for a flight model similar to what Evochron Mercenary have, in that both pitch and yaw are comparably effective (it has been confirmed on the forum by a developper that this is intended, not something susceptible to change).

When you have both pitch & yaw, roll is mostly taken out of the equation (it will always take more time to do pitch+roll than just yaw). Add to this the decoupled mode, and there is an optimal way of flying, that works no matter the situation. You boost in one direction, enter decoupled mode, aim and fire at your opponent while strafing to avoid shots. Once you’re out of range, go back to step 1.

There is no reason to do any other kind of maneuver, as this one will cover your ground for everything.

In SC, depth will come from the incredibly detailed damage model, the sophistication of the weapons, the fine tuning of your ship. Not from the flying.

• derbefrier says:

ahhh you are one of those people i see. what a bunch of nonsense

you do realize any competent pilot is going to tear you a new asshole if all you do is fly in a straight line and pretend to be a turret. theres enough of this nonsense of the SC forums dont bring it here.

• Werthead says:

“if you want a WWII dogifghting game with a spaceship coating just comeout and say it.”

To be fair, this is pretty much every single space sim Chris Roberts has ever made :)

• drakmaniso says:

By strafing I meant the use of translational thrusters, so, no straight line.

It’s also probable that CIG will add another flight mode, similar to decoupled but where you can permanently change your vector. So what I describe will be able to arc in any direction. This doesn’t change anything.

My point is, there is one way of flying that cover your ground for everything (always facing your enemy). This is what happen in games like Evochron Mercenary, and is due mainly to high turn rates in both pitch and yaw.

In order to have chases, and the wide palette of maneuvers that come with it, you need to give pilots a good reason to use roll, and probably some kind of limitation on the decoupled/drift/flight assist off mode.

• derbefrier says:

this will only be an issue in death match scenarios were people are just flying at each other being dumb. when we have objectives, when we have a convoy to protect or a capital shipt to destroy for example flying in straight line in decoupled mode isnt going to be the “best” way to do anything( i would argue it wouldnt be anyway). I played evochron quite a bit and either i was doing it wrong or yuo are wrong but there were plenty of these chases you are talking about. people just don’t tend to fly in a straight line and let you kill them(makes locking on missiles pretty damn easy hope you got enough flares). they hide behind asteroids, they alter thier flight path when they turn around and they have a bunch of missiles in thier face etc… in my opinion you are simplifying this waaaaaaay to much. did you ever play evochron on any of the servers or just single player against bots? I fought with my buddies quite a bit online and what you are describing is just the easiest way to die.

• drakmaniso says:

You make a good point about scenarios, those will probably reintroduce some need for flying skills.

But again, I am *not* talking about straight lines! With the method I describe, you can do any curved flight path you want (at least when the new flight mode will be introduced; with decoupled mode it’s more of a zigzag line).

That’s actually part of the problem: you can fly along almost any path, while constantly facing your enemy. This gives you a lot more freedom than the flight model in Elite, but in game design, more freedom does not always equates to more depth. I’m not saying that it won’t be challenging: it certainly already is in AC, when you get to higher wave numbers. I’m saying that the challenge is not about piloting your ship, since there is a very direct correlation between “what I want my ship to do” and “what the ship can actually do”.

It’s true that my personal preference goes to flying skills, rather than aiming, strategic positioning or other aspects of combat. So I probably came across as criticizing SC, but that was not my intention. I just wanted to underline how different the two games are going to be.

(And no, I didn’t spent much time in Evochron multiplayer; I’m suprised that chases can happen… Maybe I’m missing something; do you have links to any videos?)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

SQ42 is “just” the campaign, the MP part is very similar to Elite.

There’ a difference in “how” you explore but the point, the goal is the same. Both are full sandboxes, there’s no “winning”, in Both the universe is persistant and so on.

The big difference between the two games, aside from flight mechanics, is that they focus on different ways of immersing you, with SC going harder on the player avatar approach, going about, being a crewman or just have a drink while you watch your ship’s cargo hold being filled by workers.

Eirherway, always nice to notice most of SC bashing originates from a lack of research. Hell, they hardly talk about SQ42 because most demand infos on the public universe.

• ansionnach says:

I largely agree, but weren’t there three other Elite games (Elite/Elite+, Frontier and First Encounters)?

EDIT: Never mind, I guess you mean that the scope of Elite is shown best in Frontier and FFE. Never played the very first one long so can’t comment!

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There are many things i prefer about SC, this one however has a huge draw due to the 1:1 galaxy spanning billions of Stuff, with light years to travel seamlessly via time folding supercruise or hyperdrive. In SC you’re looking at huge maps connected by jump points.

There’s also a bigger focus on balancing concerns, you’re not allowed to spin very fast on your vector, newtonian style, like in SC. People call the latter arcadey, in truth SC is more into simulating thrusters behavior and that’s the problem for some: realistic newtonian model leads to turreting and the “space FPS” feel.

Elite is more focused, “to the point” and carefully engineered. SC however still has enormous potential, while Elite’s whole “launch” scope can ve partially hinted even now, just take what’s playable now and multiply that with older Elites and a flabbergasting, yet probably same-y scale.

Eitherway, it’ll launch well before anything worthwile from SC, i’d say watch many videos and consider getting both.

• Sir Motorsheep the Marbled says:

edit:

Never mind my post, I didn’t really read yours, it seems.

I understand now what you mean by “carefully engineered.” SC is basically going to throw simulated ships into combat and will then have to see how stuff can be balanced, while E:D is purportedly more focused on balanced game elements right from the beginning. Is that what you meant?

And now to what I’d written originally, because I’m not inclined to delete my statements after people may have read them already:

—-

You could have just said you feel more drawn to E:D than SC.
        I mean, how can procedurally generated content be “more carefully engineered”, and what does “more focused” even mean? Focused on what?

I love the sandbox aspect of E:D and I wish I could have backed both games, so please don’t misunderstand this as SC fanboyism. But if you look at the level of detail at which SC’s ships are being built (due to the flight model being physics-based, they are literally being engineered), the amount of thought that is given to ship-related game mechanics, such as crippling enemy ships and boarding them, and if you consider that while SC’s game universe will be much smaller, every place will be hand crafted, how can you say that E:D is more carefully engineered?
        In terms of progress, E:D is so far ahead of SC, which is still about a year away from an alpha release of the persistent universe, so I really find it hard to compare the two at all in terms of anything but what each aims to be in the end.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aye, you got what i meant with the edit, SC has a harsher road ahead because the more you want to simulate newtonian maneuvers like pivoting on your vector ( which SHOULD be extremely fast like in SC, yet Elite doesn’t want you to do it because it’s hard to balance ) the more you run into the risk of turning everything into space jousting, let alone the fact that each ship has fully modeled thrusters that behave relatively to their position, power, orientation, the ship’s center of mass and so on.

It’s a glorious mess that i want to see perfectly realized, but it’s going to be a hard task, much like most of their other goals. That’s also what i meant with potential.

And yes, Elite is more focused, they have their major features, they carefully selected them, polished them and that’s it. It works, people are happy, everything’s good and there’s little to break. Elite doesn’t waste time in the “What if”s, but with the exclusion of their good engine developed mostly for their great seamless universe, you can’t help but feel that there’s an extra mile that they don’t dare to tread.

Elite WILL work, it WILL turn out good. SC though? This extra mile might kill it, but if it works it might also make it something magnificient.

My fingers are crossed.

• Artist says:

I’ve already dropped a lot of money on Star Citizen for an Avenger ship too. I know this is coming out sooner but the price tag is really hig…
      Ok.. no more questions….

14. Walsh says:

I don’t get why people are obsessed with this when X3 seemed to do everything bigger and better (?). The Elite ship designs are super 80′s looking, the combat is OK: only two weapons on the starter ship is kind of lame and I like the feel Star Citizens roller skate fighting more.

I dunno, it seems pretty shallow at this point (I’m a Premium Beta backer). Why do you all expect it to be so amazing?

• fdisk says:

I don’t understand it either, even though I’m honestly trying to. Hopefully they’ll release a demo or beta and I’ll find the appeal of it once I actually play it.

• Flank Sinatra says:

I broke my bank account for Elite’s Premium Beta and I still spent the last 2 nights playing X3. It’s the best space sim game of the last decade and the graphics are still terrific.

Mainly I think the big draw to these new space sims is the multiplayer. They’re basically space combat MMOs. The game feels more alive when you’re surrounded by other players. . It’s unpredictable and thrilling. And what’s the point of grinding up to the best ship in the game if no one else can see you and be jealous? There’s also the promise of procedural generated star systems making for an infinite amount of new content to explore, but we have yet to see that in action.

If Egosoft had made X3 into an online game with tighter combat and graphics they would have given Elite and SC some serious competition. But they made X Rebirth instead.

• Underwhelmed says:

As a person with kids, and lots of obligations, MMOs have little appeal for their lack of a “pause” button alone.

Martel says:

That seems to be my problem with mp games too. I need my pause!

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Good news, it will have a singleplayer mode, as well as letting you run in persistent mode, but kicking out every other player from your instance. Both will presumably have a pause feature.

• Lemming says:

Well you don’t understand it because you think X3 did everything bigger and better. That’s all there is too it, really!

• Sir Motorsheep the Marbled says:

I don’t recall X being a massively multiplayer game.

• FireStorm1010 says:

For me X3 and other X games were bigger and had tons of options, and at same time just didnt do it for me.

Basicly im tottaly uninterested in a game like this in owning dozens of ships, stations , remote controlling them etc.

I want the whole Han Solo experience, have a ship , fly it, have tons of amazing adventures, trade, amazing fights, earn cash to buy better ships/upgrades. Thats all i want and so much. In X3 and x2 that i tried the combat was imho weak, everythign took freaking ages, there was no sense of danger and fun in every minute. I remember i used to read books while traveling before getting bored with the whole game. Imho it was geared towards the remote controlled fleets/space empire thing , and there wasnt near enough focus in the only things i was interested in.

It just want the privateer like experience i was lookign for, i hope Elite will be i.

Bigger and more options not alwys mean more fun.

• Artist says:

I played X since XBTF (1998) and Egosoft never managed to create a universe that feels vivid. Nonetheless X1-X3:AP are awesome single-player games, and greatly inspired by the original Elite.. But they are not ELITE! =)

• StarTux says:

Walsh, the Premium beta which we currently have as of June 11 only represents a few percentage of the total game that we’re yet to see (look for Frontier’s twitch streams, the first one mentions barely a percentage). For one thing, we have not yet seen all the 25 ships we were told we’d be seeing on release, secondly we have yet to see Mining in action as well as fuel (we’ll be able refuel via fuel scoops if you have one equipped). The damage model is yet to be incorporated.

So far I am finding the PB a lot of fun despite being light on features, for me personally this is shaping up to be the game of the year.

15. Maxheadroom says:

Any HOTAS controller recommendations for this? I just cant get on with the mouse and keyboard at all (and normally I’m all about mouse & keyboard being a predominantly PC gamer n’all).

I know RPS did a mini roundup on sticks for elite not too long ago with Saitek X52 coming out on top, but im just looking for a 2nd opinion. It’s a lot to drop on a controller that’ll more than likely not see another game except for elite (and maybe Star Citizen. Oh and No Mans Sky)

• Walsh says:

I’m using a Saitek X52 Pro for this and Star Citizen. It works pretty well. You may want to try some flight sims such as DCS Lock-On series or Rise of Flight since you’ll have the joystick anyway.

• fdisk says:

I recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; it’s what I use myself. It’s not as awesome as the Saitek x52 BUT a lot of people have a feeling that there’s going to be a new generation of flight sticks coming out with Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous and No Man’s Sky in mind (Not to mention War Thunder and World of Warplanes) and for around $20 the Logitech one gives you a close enough feel to hold you up until the new stuff comes out.

• Zenicetus says:

If you like air combat as well as space games, a HOTAS setup can also be used for some terrific current games like Rise of Flight (WW1 biplanes), the upcoming IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad (WW2 planes), and the DCS study sims for modern fighters like A-10. HOTAS rigs also work with venerable older space games like Freespace 2 Open and Independence War 2. A good HOTAS setup isn’t cheap, but there’s a lot you can do with it outside of SC and Elite:D.

The very best (and expensive) HOTAS rig is the Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle quadrant. I’d recommend Saitek Pro Combat pedals along with it. It’s an all metal stick, unbelievably good feel and precision compared to any of the plastic sticks, but priced to match. The throttle quadrant that comes with it is also very good, but that’s a bit less important for a space game than for air combat sims that have more control functions.

For less money, I’d recommend the CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and rudder pedals. These are very well made, will last a long time under heavy use. CH also makes a Flightstick Pro model that works for left-handed users, but with fewer buttons.

I haven’t had good experiences with Saitek joysticks in the past, due to build quality and breakage. But I haven’t tried any recent models, and I do like those Pro Combat rudder pedals. They’ve held up well, so maybe the current sticks are better than older ones.

• Taidan says:

The “Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X” is a good budget option, too. You can use it in one piece on your lap, or separate it into a “proper” HOTAS. It’s got a nice analogue rudder control on the front of the throttle too, which comes in dead handy for Elite/

I’m currently using one of those combined with the free “Roccat Power-Grid” software running on a phone, the keyboard doesn’t get touched at all during gameplay.

16. Soggy_Popcorn says:

I can’t play this game because there is no option for female avatar hands with which to grasp the helm of my spaceship.

How am I supposed to escape the hideous reality of being a…a MALE human, if this game forces me to look at the detestable hands of an oppressor, gripping the controls much as they’ve choked and controlled the lives of so many females before?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Pilots in Elite’s universe are all male, but no oppressors, they underwent extensive body treatments to withstand more Gs, to the point that their genitals are disabled and they can only eat a very specific mix of nutrients in pills.

True story.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Unless you`re Imperial, in which case you`re given the finest in inertial compensation, because G-force blackouts are for Untermenschen.

• Trotar says:

They did add that option now.

17. McGuit says:

Having invested in both SC and ED, I have to say that I’m more excited about Elite.
    Your mileage may vary.

18. Armante says:

I really, truly wish I had backed this instead of Star Citizen. I’m sure I’ll love it, but this just looks amazing. Can’t wait to lose myself in this universe, particularly as it supports Oculus Rift. Assuming can afford a Rift…

Is it just me or was seeing that cargo canister bouncing off the windscreen just totally cool?

I want to play this so bad. Maybe Premium Beta including DLC pass isn’t so expensive. Maybe.

19. Balanuir says:

Damn, I want this. Why do people still make windows-only games, tell me. It’s not 1995 anymore.

• Daemoneyes says:

“Elite: Dangerous will be available on both Windows PC and three months later on Apple Macintosh computers.”
      So what you are talking about?

• Werthead says:

Not to mention the Linux version they have said they will start work on once the OSX version is done.

I believe they’ve also said that PS4 and XB1 would be possible, but they’d need to retain control on those systems of updates and bug-fixes, things which Sony and Microsoft won’t let go of. They could release a SP-only version, I suppose, but that doesn’t appear to be on the cards right now.

• ansionnach says:

Almost nobody made windows-only games in 1995 (source: reality…).

20. Papageno says:

Any credible speculation at all on when the hell this is coming out? Or are they still being deliberately cagey?

I notice that Braben didn’t finally get serious about all this till Star Citizen became a thing.

• Cockie says:

Official word is that they’re aiming to release it this year.

• Dr Wookie says:

I spent the last week being a community ambassador for ED at E3, which was amazing but utterly exhausting :). The official line is that FD is hoping to release the standard beta at the end of summer, with the retail release by the end of this year.

So many developers said they got into game making because of Elite! The reception was universally very positive, with many people coming back dragging their friends along or turning up on word of mouth. The huge banner at the entrance also helped. ED got two best of e3 awards (one from escapist), and one nomination by the time I left

21. Papageno says:

I was just watching a video of the v 4.01 Alpha (see below) and it looks amazing, but I worry about this being an even greater timesink (if possible) than something like X3:Terran Conflict, what with docking taking so long and given the size and scope of the thing. Also I worry about human griefers in the MP (although I realize that space being a very VERY big place makes it less likely you’ll even run into them). Is this planned to be a monthly service charge thing like EVE? Any word yet on eventual system requirements?

• Trotar says:

No monthly fee.
      And they do have some interesting idea’s to combat grieving behavior.