Penny For Your BioShocks: The Humble 2K Bundle Is A Steal

By Nathan Grayson on July 9th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Rarely do I effusively recommend a bundle made up entirely of games I already own, but it’s kinda hard to argue with every BioShock, Spec Ops: The Line, Mafia II, The Darkness II, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, among others. The Humble 2K Bundle does come with a slight catch (a flat rate of $20 if you want a couple of the more recent games), but even then it’s a formidable deal. Unfortunately, this will technically count as purchasing The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, but don’t worry: I won’t tell anyone.

If you pay below the average, you’re guaranteed BioShock, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, and The Darkness II. You can, speaking in the mighty thoughtrealm of theoreticals, get those for a penny.

Bust through the average and you can top your haul with BioShock 2, Mafia II, Spec Ops: The Line, and “more games” at a future date. Paying $20 straight out the gate, meanwhile, gets you XCOM: Enemy Unknown and BioShock Infinite on top of all that.

Of course, many of you probably also have most, if not all, of these games. Still though, I don’t know. It might make a solid gift for your less gamerly friends or something. And as ever, you can just pour all of your nickels, dimes, sporgs, and wurzywots into charity if you want, for that is the Humble way.

Are you buying, or does this bundle suffer from greatest hits collection syndrome? Is it redundant for you if you’ve already been playing 2K’s big releases for the past 2,000 years?

, , , , , .

1. Paul says:

Fantastic bundle. 20 dollars for 8+ games of some of the best that AAA has to offer. They are so good that I already own them all except Bureau, and finished them too.

• AngoraFish says:

Me two, yet I purchased the bundle anyway. Go figure…

• SIDD says:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to gift the unwanted copies away to friends etc?

(Edit: Nvrmind…figured it out)

2. Dawngreeter says:

If they add Enemy Within after the first week, it’ll be the best bundle ever.

drewski says:

Maybe not the best bundle ever, but it’ll tip it over the edge into buy territory for me.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I’m hoping for Borderlands 2.

• MkMax says:

they would need to add Borderlands 1 goatee and Borderlands 2 (the ACTUALLY complete edition) to get me to pay the $10 the second tier will be at by then

i have xcom and infinite but even if i didnt $20 bucks doesnt sound like a good deal without the dlc for both

• HadToLogin says:

Love reading dreams of young and naive. Love watching them get crushed.

This whole bundle is made that some people will get one, two games they didn’t had and gift rest to friends who didn’t bought them before, will love them now and will buy DLCs.

3. BobbyDylan says:

Lol. Already own all those games except The Bureau , and I’m not interested in that.

Still, shows that 2k have really put out some gems.

• Evil Pancakes says:

It’s almost as if a publisher can profit by not rehashing the same franchises every year, allowing studios (enough) creative freedom and producing DLC that isn’t utter garbage. (not to say 2K does not release garbage DLC, looking at you Borderlands vanity packs, Clash in the Clouds and Slingshot pack. Bur for every one of those we get a Burial at Sea, Enemy Within, Tiny Tina, etc.)
      Wheras if EA, Activision and Ubi are to be believed that is just not a viable business strategy.

Rikard Peterson says:

Are you talking about the same Ubisoft that recently released Child of Light and Valiant Hearts? And though Watch Dogs seems to have many faults, being a franchise rehash isn’t one of them.

4. spacedyemeerkat says:

I own all the games except The Bureau. A common theme, it seems. Can’t think why.

• Gilead says:

Yeah, this seems to be a really good deal if you don’t already own most of the games, but there’s enough high-profile, well-received games in there that there’s a good chance you will. I think the pre-order for Bioshock Infinite on some sites may even have included Spec Ops, XCOM and possibly the Darkness 2.

(I can’t even remember if I own the Darkness 2 or Mafia 2. They seem like the sort of games I might have picked up really cheaply before. The only game I definitely don’t own in that bundle is XCOM – Declassified, and I’m not sure I want to.)

5. Mittens89 says:

Are Mafia 2 and The Darkness 2 any good?

• Scumbag says:

In a well polished and well made way for relatively average games, yes. The kind of entertaining larks that are hardly memorable but quite fun regardless.

J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Was going to say something similar. Mafia 2 stuck with me longer, but perhaps it’s because I marathoned The Soprano’s and started playing it (again) right after.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I had great fun with The Darkness 2. It does have FOV issues, being a console port, but if you can handle that it’s a gay old time.

• Werthead says:

I was disappointed by Mafia II, as I am a huge fan of the first game and how well-written it was, and how it moved away from the GTA formula despite being superficially similar. Mafia II was much more poorly-written, had far less-memorable characters and seemed to drop some of the differences from the first game in favour of being a bit more GTA-like.

It’s still enjoyable solely on its own terms, and I suspect will be moreso for people who haven’t played the first one or didn’t care for it.

• Dale Winton says:

Mafia 2 is basically a diving a game with bits of action between driving from point A to point B

I loved it

• MkMax says:

Mafia 2 is a boring game, the game forces you to spend ridiculous amounts of time doing boring things to make a point, only worth it if you really really like the atmosphere

Darkness 2 is a pretty decent shooter, a steal for $1

6. Neurotic says:

Only Spec Ops 2 and Infinite I don’t have already, and I’d like XCOM again (because my Steam key ‘died’ or something equally stupid). The Bureau will be a bonus, and Mafia and Darkness are going to go to my friend. Will be interesting to see what the additional games will be. Some CIV, no doubt – already have all possible CIVs.

• DanMan says:

There’s been a Civ Bundle some time ago already, so I’m hoping for something different.

I’m mildly excited, so I’ll wait for the additional games to be added. I also already have some of the games.

• Neurotic says:

An extra CIV here and there is no bad thing for bribing friends with. :D But it’ll be interesting to see what they add, that’s for sure. :D

7. the_r says:

Man, I just bought all Bioshocks on Steam sale for a bit less than 20$. If they add Enemy Within I might just as well go ahead and buy it anyway…

c-Row says:

But how many nickels are in a wurzywot?

9. Dr I am a Doctor says:

I paid a dollar because I wanted The Bureau for a long time.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

It’s not the X-COM I remember I saw but it’s still okay.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

basically what im trying to say is that i wanted the 2010 fps reboot and i was denied

• TomxJ says:

Bought this this thinking Bureau was 1st person.

Its very much not, oh the sillys.

RedViv says:

All we asked for was to not call it an XCOM game because it did not really fit. Instead they took a hammer to it and pushed it into a squad-command-shaped hole that it did not ever feel comfortable in. It’s a shame.

10. frightlever says:

It’s minimum of a dollar for Steam keys, I think. That’s what I paid for The Bureau (which I heard was okay if you ignored the fact it’s meant to be an Xcom game) and Darkness II (which I heard is decent and I’ve read some of the comics).

• Jalan says:

The end of the Darkness II is a “cliffhanger” of sorts. One that may never be resolved in game form, unless someone out there decides to fund a third game on pure whim.

I wished there’d been an effort made to port over the first game though. I’d even settle for a Witchblade game made in a similar style to be honest. Sadly, unless it’s a big name Marvel or DC property, it just doesn’t sell.

11. sbs says:

since when is that linked automatically to steam? threw away my fucking bioshock key now.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The first Bioshock offers a DRM free option, but all others are tied to Steam.

The only one I want is The Darkness 2, so I don’t know if I’ll get this. I generally don’t like buying a bundle where I only want one game, even if I can gift the other keys to people. I already have Bioshock 1 and don’t feel like getting the sequels before I’ve played that one. The Bureau doesn’t seem that good and I was never into XCOM. I don’t care about Spec Ops, I want my FPS games to be Serious Sam style stupid fun.

• Greggh says:

Your key shouldn’t have been wasted if you have the game already – try contacting humble support

12. Hahaha says:

You can only get bioshock for a penny seeing as it’s the only one that has a DRM free choice.

wonder how the grognards on the RPS board are taking it, yep disgust and moaning lol while lapping up what in truth are really shitty bundles.

PoulWrist says:

But Mafia 2 sucked?

• MkMax says:

just like Mafia 1 sucked, but some value the atmosphere over the gameplay and will clean bathrooms for it

• Zenicetus says:

I thought Mafia 2 was good enough (just barely) for a second play-through recently, but then I’m a sucker for the atmosphere. Especially the early game, in the late 1940′s setting. Otherwise, yeah… the gameplay and story is nothing special, and the amount of driving you have to do between set pieces gets tedious. Still, great atmosphere.

It’s like games in a Wild West setting. How many of those do we get to play on PC? The Western-themed Call of Juarez games weren’t very good either, but I still enjoyed the setting.

14. Werthead says:

Not sure of the hate for The Bureau. It’s not as intriguing as the old demos suggested and the attempts to make it more like Enemy Unknown sort of backfire, because it just makes you want to go off and play Enemy Unknown instead, but the story is inoffensive and the shooting is actually pretty solid (I enjoyed the actual combat more than, say, Mass Effect 3′s by a long way). There are some pretty big logic fails, such as trying to make it a direct prequel to Enemy Unknown (“Hey, remember in the 1960s when aliens tore up half the United States and levelled Chicago and we got plasma weapons off them? Me neither.”) and the level design is a bit unimaginative, but I managed to finish the thing and did not consider what I payed for it – about £7 in a Steam sale – to be wasted.

strangeloup says:

The main gameplay issue I had with The Bureau is that the friendly AI is pretty suicidal unless you’re constantly shepherding it. Other than that, it’s considerably more entertaining than I expected from something that looked like it was going to be Gears of Xcom.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The difficulty curve is a little out of whack at the start, and yes, you have to babysit your AI teammates all the time.

It was quite decent. I rather liked its take on the Ethereals, even if they came too late in the game to have enough impact.

I’d definitely recommend it over Bioshock Infinite, if only by a little.

• Jason Moyer says:

It’s actually quite fun once you realize you have to play it more like Brothers In Arms (micromanaging your squad’s movements and their targeting priorities) rather than Mass Effect. I recently fired it back up to do the Hangar DLC (which is kind of meh, to be honest) and it took a bit to get my brain pointed back in the right direction. Once you get used to flicking between your squadmates and telling them specifically where to move and who to target, it’s pretty good though. And if you want a more Mass Effect-like experience, you can always drop the difficulty down a notch and do most of the shooting.

• Xocrates says:

Honestly, my problem with the AI is that they not only had a tendency to jump out of cover (often due to grenades, yes, but they sucked at repositioning afterwards), but they’ll ignore your orders if you move too far away from them, which not only made them come out of cover, but in some arenas made flanking borderline impossible.

Once they get levelled up a bit they become more useful, but it’s a painful road until that point.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I think The Bureau has gotten a bum rap. It’s not X-Com, and it’s not quite as intriguing as their original design for it, but it’s a pretty solid and atmospheric shooter that gave me distinct vibes of Bioshock and similar games, except with squad management and light levelling instead of personal inventory management.

15. solidsquid says:

Awesome, I’d been holding off on buying the new XCOM and Bioshock Infinite and of the others only had the first Bioshock. Makes a nice change for there to be a Humble Bundle where I don’t have at least half the games offered

drewski says:

$20 for XCOM and a couple of games I’m not particularly interested in.

Not quite at the right spot for me.

• Jalan says:

Especially considering that you could get the GOTY edition for less and it came with Enemy Within + the classic titles a week or two ago.

puppybeard says:

My main attractions here would be Bioshock 2, which I’ve never played, and Spec Ops the line, which I’m led to believe is a very thoughtful take on militaristic manshoots.

Darkness 2 and Mafia 2, sure why not. And while I was put off the 50s X-Com, I’d give it a go for this price. And I can throw the other keys to my mates, I suppose.

Probably a buy for me, though I usually wait until the last minute before committing to these things.

Oh, and while it’s old news, I really like that more pertinent humanitarian concerns than Childs Play benefit from these things now. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice project, and I’d be happy to buy another bundle that does support it. The fact that Humble are putting lots of thought into all the different good uses that funds can be put too is really healthy though.

18. skyturnedred says:

So this is where all those games came to SteamGifts.

c-Row says:

Is Bioshock the international version? Steam only sells the low-violence version in Germany, but the convenience to add the international version to my Steam library for a dollar would be totally worth it.

gnodab says:

This would be the only reason for me to buy the bundle. Does anyone know?

Also please everybody play SpecOps it is waaay underrated!

20. Doesn'tmeananything says:

Fantastic bundle. A wide assortment of trite linear console shooters with a touch of turn-based blasphemy. Each containing a narrative to fuel the thick skulls of the intellectually impoverished. Never has a reference book for PhD in videogames cost so little.

• Distec says:

I’m thinking these games aren’t as terrible as you’re convinced they are.

21. Frank says:

I’m buying, but not that enthused. The Darkness II looks too mafia-murdery and taken with its no doubt-stupid story. Moreover, it probably won’t run on my computer. And everyone says XCOM Declassified is terrible. But, eh, I’m curious.

I have the first two Bioshocks but am too sick of Ken Levine’s awful writing to get another right now (and, of course, it wouldn’t run on my video card, either). I know people praise Spec Ops, but it sounds like part of a dialogue with COD and those other s*** modern grunt-fantasies that I despise, so… nuts to that. And, as I may not have made clear, I also despise the glorification of American mafia culture. Don’t get me started on Rockstar, 2K’s corporate sister.

2K seems to be a good publisher as far as letting studios do what they want and ensuring plenty of polish. But, apart from Firaxis, I don’t like any of of it.

• bhauck says:

How bad is your video card that you can’t play these games? I’ve been able to play everything I tried that wasn’t an MMO, including both the first two Bioshocks, on integrated HD 3000 graphics. Assuming you’re on a desktop, wouldn’t your card have to be close to ten years old not to beat that?

• Frank says:

Sure, the first two Bioshocks run.

HD 5450 1GB, bought in 2010 (the same year it was released) in a build-your-own HP. It’s a super-budget card, but I’ve never really cared about graphics. I’ll upgrade it once there’s an immersive sim or TBS that my comp won’t run. I was amazed that DXHR and Dishonored ran fine (on very low settings).

I just found this site, game-debate.com, recently, that tells me whether or not I can run a game. Looking retrospectively, it’s pretty accurate (for example, saying that the Witcher 2 will not run), so I believe it when it says Biinfinite and Darkness 2 won’t. I kind of guessed it already.

22. Jason Moyer says:

I own every game in the bundle (and all of the games’ respective dlc, too, except for the for-some-reason-never-released-for-pc-outside-of-russia one for Mafia II) and have enjoyed them all immensely. That includes The Bureau, which is better if less varied than Mass Effect in some ways if not reaching the glorious heights of Alpha Protocol as far as third person talk-and-shooters go.

Kind of curious to see what they add to the bundle. One or both of the Borderlands seem like obvious choices. Perhaps one of the Civ games they’ve published. My wildcard guess, which is highly unlikely, is Jade Empire, which I had totally forgotten was published for PC by 2K until I fired it up recently.

23. MkMax says:

i paid $1 buck for The Bureau and Darkness 2

i have the rest except spec ops (which ive seen on sale several times for much less than $7 if i really really want it) and Mafia 2 that so freaking bad im surprised its not in the $1 tier

btw, while i think XCOM is a wonderful game (i bought those on release), $20 bucks seem a bit excessive without enemy within, the “blue tiers” have been going higher and higher, now they are higher than steam deals

• Jason Moyer says:

Without checking (and with Steam Enhanced, it would take less than 5 minutes, so I’m being lazy) I would guess that there’s never been a time when you could buy all 8 of these games for $20 total.

• MkMax says:

sorry, i cant look at bundles the same way i look at individual games, they often include games i dont care about, like mafia 2 or games i already own

until now humble bundles were GREAT deals pretty much all the time, that changed since they added the blue tier

• Frank says:

On the other hand, they have a lot more of them. I still find a good bundle every month or two, which is about the same frequency as ever.

24. Zankmam says:

Lucky me, I don’t own (or have played) any of these games.

Simplisto says:

Nor have I. Is there something wrong with us?

• Frank says:

Well, XCOM and Bioshock belong to franchises that have been talked about on RPS since day one, more or less (X-COM and Looking Glass Studios’ stuff).

25. Lion Heart says:

kind of pointless doing this sale just after steams summer sale.

26. sambalula says:

this bundle is great as a recently converted pc gamer this is a grate way to expand the collection

27. bill says:

It doesn’t strike me as a particularly great bundle.
    Pay what you want for a game you already have (bioshock), a game you don’t care about (Darkness 2) and a game that isn’t good (The Bureau).
    Pay $7.77 for Spec Ops: The Line (which was cheaper in the sale) and a couple of sequels that don’t really appeal.
    Pay $20 for XCOM and Infinite (and Spec Ops) which seems expensive just after the sales.

Unless they put something cool in as the extra games, I can’t say I’m that tempted.