Roguelike Mega Collection Torrent Has 700+ Free Games

Free games are great and roguelikes are the best of all games, so a torrent containing more than 700 of the blighters is a lovely thing to discover on a Thursday morning. The collection is the work of ‘foamed’, a Reddit moderator and roguelike curator, and it’s more than a big pile o’ fun. As well as containing some of the greatest games ever made, this is an important archive – there are variants and minor games included that are no longer available elsewhere, and as long as there are seeders, any future disappearances will be protected until our computers turn to dust.

You’ll find all of the major roguelikes here – the Hacks, the Angbands, the Crawls, the Rogues – and you’ll also find plenty of experiments, including those that have emerged from the seven day roguelike challenge over the years. There are variants aplenty and you can see a full list of the contents here.

If you want recommendations as to what you should be playing, you’ll have to ask elsewhere. There are seven hundred games to pick through. Maybe take a look at AlphaMan, which I’ll always remember fondly, then move immediately to Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead and weep for your lost innocence.

The source is as trustworthy as just about anything on the internet – which is to say not at all – but foamed is linking to the files through his Reddit mod account and reckons everything is clean. I downloaded it last night and scans didn’t detect anything unpleasant. Here’s some background information, as well as a description of what’s included:

So I’ve been thinking for a long time about uploading a torrent containing all the different roguelikes I’ve collected over the years. It first started back in 2008 as a passion project and have since grown exponentially ever since. I thought it would be a good idea to share the games with the roguelike community as servers will eventually go down and acquiring the games will become a lot harder. A recent example happened just a day ago.

The bundle contains over 700 free and/or open source roguelikes, there might be a few free roguelites as well. This bundle mostly contains Windows executables, if I had added the same games for Linux and Mac OS the size would’ve almost tripled, but I might make a combined Win/Linux/Mac OS bundle at some time in the future. The size of the torrent is already at about 6.8gb.

It does not include any illegal or pirated content, if there’s a paid version of the game it’s not included, only free games are featured. If you do however find any or don’t want me to share your game then please let me know and I’ll get right on it.

The last part is important. While many of the games here are historical artifacts, many are still in development or actively supported/hosted by their developers. Even though they are free, the people who created them should have a say in how they are distributed. If you enjoy a game, look up the creator and check if they accept donations or distribute the game through a ‘pay what you want’ scheme, as supported on itch.io and elsewhere. Some of the best games included here probably wouldn’t exist, at least in the state they’re in, if it weren’t for financial support from players. UnReal World and ADOM come to mind, but there are many others.

From this site

Harlander says:

A few observations in no particular order:

I enjoyed Alphaman back in the day but I suspect getting it to run on modern systems might be troublesome.

Privateer: ASCII Sector is worth a look – basically a roguelike version of Wing Commander: Privateer.

The collection could possibly do with a little pruning. There’s multiple versions of the same thing in there quite a few times.

Skabooga says:

I hit a wall early on in Privateer: ASCII Sector, where it just seemed like an interminable grind. Because I’ve never played Wing Commander: Privateer, I didn’t know if that was a problem I had with ASCII Sector specifically or if that had more to do with its source material.

I had a jolly time with Prospector for a month, though, and I see it is still in development, so I recommend checking that out: link to roguebasin.com

2. BooleanBob says:

The Venetian blinds you! Elvis hits you with his belt buckle! Beef-a-roni!

If you can run Dosbox, you can (and should!) run Alphaman. Get it get it get it

3. Cinek says:

Outstanding collection. Thank you for sharing!

4. Niko says:

Great collection; but if the author didn’t ask for permissions, it’s not so cool, to be honest. For example, some people put their games on itch.io as “pay what you want” starting from 0, and I assume distributing their game via a different channel isn’t very nice.

• ribby says:

I’m pretty certain they’re all free Niko. Most ASCII roguelikes are on the whole

• Adam Smith says:

I’ve added a paragraph about donations at the bottom of the article. It’s something I’d thought about last night while considering whether to post about the collection and the reason I highlighted that quote from the collector: “If you do however find any or don’t want me to share your game then please let me know and I’ll get right on it.”

Not ideal, I know. And perhaps I overestimate peoples’ willingness or instinct to go to straight to the source of a thing they enjoy.

• ninnyjams says:

Uh … if a creator doesn’t want his thing included, they can’t do anything about it. That’s not how torrents work.

5. Gunrun says:

Piracy is OK if it’s only little indie games – Rock Paper Shotgun

• ribby says:

FREE or OPENSOURCE

Harlander says:

We’re applying ‘piracy’ to free games now?

• iucounu says:

If I make a game and allow you to download it from my website for free, it doesn’t also imply that I allow you to distribute it however you want. Perhaps I have ads on my site, or a tip-jar, or something. It’s not like if you remove a price tag all the other rights that a creator has in their work suddenly evaporate.

Harlander says:

I see where you’re coming from. It’d probably not be too onerous to go through the games and check their licenses. Roguelike developers tend to be pretty proactive in providing that kind of information (and most of them will prove to be permissive with regards to distribution, if not made public domain outright).

• iucounu says:

Sure. Probably a big job to ask permission for 700+ games, but that’s kind of how you’d have to do it if you don’t want people tutting at you.

• iucounu says:

Oh, also: I’m not sure it’s possible to make something Public Domain, in most places, anyway. There’s no mechanism for waiving copyright or donating stuff to the PD. The best you can do is to issue the work under a license (a GNU license, say) that gives express permission to the end-user to distribute or modify it, etc. A lot of freeware comes wrapped in this kind of license already, and we tick the box in the installer and don’t think about it too much, but it’s the only way we can carve those kinds of things out as it stands.

• jacksaw says:

I like how you didnt even read the article yet presume to pass judgement. Good luck with that attitude in the future my friend.

6. wyrm4701 says:

From the article:

The people who created these games don’t have a say, in the case of this distribution. So it’s a bit rubbish to acknowledge that while approving the end-run around creator consent.

• Crane says:

No say at all. Nope.
      And perhaps you’ll say, ‘he should have asked beforehand‘, but with 700 games that would be a touch impractical, no?

• Risingson says:

Well, that is if you put the highlight in the guy that uploads the torrent, not the game creators.

• ninnyjams says:

Yes, there’s nothing they can do. The guy can’t just delete a game from a public torrent. That’s not how torrents work.

• Adam Smith says:

That’s something that I thought about before posting and have been discussing this morning. I think the archival quality of the collection is important and hope that by drawing attention to that statement, we can help to keep that aspect intact and foremost. Admittedly, perhaps I overestimate the power of curiosity and appreciation – if I enjoy something, my first instinct is to find out about the person who made it and support their work.

• Vacuity729 says:

My experience of making free content is that you get a lot more people seeking you out to tell you how much you suck than you get seeking you out to tell you how wonderful your work is.

This is particularly frustrating when the person who came to tell you in great detail just how much you suck is clearly using a long-outdated version that they got from somewhere off the back-end of the Internet, rather than one of the places you actually chose to use for distribution.

7. Vacuity729 says:

As someone who has created free material for download over the Internet, although nothing in this pile, I’d have to say that I’ve never been happy about people taking my stuff and redistributing it without my permission. People come and complain bitterly, viciously and unpleasantly about stuff that often got fixed a long time ago, and there’s a constant (though diminishing) stream because there’s a constant (though diminishing) stream of people downloading the long-outdated “collection” that I never gave permission to. Saying (as someone above did) that it’s my (the creator’s) responsibility to search for material that I created and have copyright to and demand its removal is ridiculous; it really fails to comprehend the effort involved in creating material (which I distribute for free) in the first place. Every day, I have to check whether some other idiot has pirated my stuff? No, really, no. The responsibility is with the person who wants to create the torrent and redistribute the files. Also, how exactly do I, you, or anyone remove material once it’s been distributed in a torrent? That outdated stuff’s going to be in circulation until the last seed vanishes.

There’s a fair amount of free stuff available over the Internet that clearly states you can redistribute it (often under certain easily met conditions), but if that’s not the case, and permission has not been obtained, then this is breaking copyright law and (to me) not reasonable behaviour.

8. Scobles says:

Ahhh, Castle of the Winds- a game that conjures happy memories so conflicting my contemporary experiences with Tales of Maj’Eyal, Caves of Qud, Every Other Roguelike, etc. Wonder if I’m terrible at that now, too…

9. Arona Daal says:

I recommend “Incursion Halls of the Goblin Kings” for a look,it has a lot of never seen before Mechanics (f.E. the most fleshed out Sensory System i have ever seen),but its unfinished.

*!* Its highly complex though. *!*

Also buggy, i was never able to finish as a Magic User, but i heard of successful Runs as rogues.

10. Don Whitaker says:

Free != Freely Distributable. Very interesting collection but the curator should have asked for permission to include games that don’t already include a license for distribution. There are many reasons why an author might want to control distribution of their creation. Offering to ‘remove’ games after the fact is a cop-out. It’s also impossible since the torrent is already available in the wild.

11. caff says:

It’s worth noting that there is a Steam curator called “roguelikes” that I think is the same guy that produced this torrent.

link to store.steampowered.com

Worth following if you’re into roguelikes or games with similar mechanics.

12. NMorgan says:

The torrent missed Trapdoor Below. Luckily it’s perfectly available outside the torrent.

13. ninnyjams says:

This is really messed up. They can’t just remove a game from a torrent.

14. cylentstorm says:

7GB of ASCII and tile-based permadeath? Holy shit. Nuckinfuts, I say.

15. teamcharlie says:

Quick recommendation from this archive of roguelikes: Omega.

From an old hand at roguelikes (been playing them since the ’80s, though I by no means claim to be the best at them or even have played them first), that one and ADOM still impress me to this day (and frankly, Omega moreso given how groundbreaking it is in spite of not having been in development for over 25 years).

A small sampling of Omega’s features: an overworld map with different terrain types, a surprisingly in-depth story campaign for the time, a multiplayer high score list (with the ability to become the head of a guild and then have another player replace you as the guild leader or vice versa), multiple possible win conditions, secrets galore both random and pre-generated, an extensive character creation system (you can choose to answer a set of questions and play an RPG character with stats that simulate your own IRL abilities or play a regular random character if you prefer), a pantheon of gods to deal with, ghosts of previous dead characters you played to fight, an extensive arena system that you can cheat with a garage door opener, a magical college with a tuition assistance system and the ability to pay to research spells, multiple guilds with specific joining requirements some of which you can advance in at the same time…honestly, the list goes on.

Caveat: the inventory system is a little weird. You kinda just need to learn it. If you think about it, the system makes sense, but as a design choice it’s not the most fun. But the rest of the game is a damn blast. Check it out.

• Edgewise says:

You are correct. Omega is one of the all-time best true roguelikes, and it has gone unsung for far too long. Don’t forget how you can visit other elemental planes, magical wishes, etc. etc. I thought I was the only person who knew.