Skyrim Beyond: Bruma mod travels to familiar lands

A corner of the world of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has arrived in Skyrim with the launch of Beyond Skyrim: Bruma [official site], a mod set around Cyrodil’s city of Bruma. Unlike the still-in-development mod remaking Oblivion inside Skyrim, this mod is telling new stories set around the time of Skryim – 200 years after Oblivion. As well as recreating and updating the Bruma region, it brings new quests, characters, weapons, armour, music, and all that, plus a whopping 24,000-ish lines of voiced dialogue from a cast including professional actors. Fancy! Here, check out this trailer:

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma players can choose to start a new character in the region or simply travel there from Skyrim when they please.

You can download the mod from the Skyrim Nexus. You will need Skyrim’s three DLCs — Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn — to play (or the Legendary Edition including them) as well as an unofficial memory patch like SKSE or SSME. The devs also recommend using the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. This mod is a biggun, see, so you want Skyrim in tip-top condition to play it.

The Beyond Skyrim project includes several teams working on different regions, hoping to eventually expand Skyrim with new contemporary tales from all corners of Tamriel. Their dev blog includes peeks at places from High Rock to Hammerfell. If you’ve got skills and time, hey, try signing up to help.

As for Skywind, the separate mod remaking Oblivion inside Skyrim, that’s ticking along nicely too. In recent months, the devs have released videos showing off some of its new voice acting and the region of West Gash. Judging by the two minutes I just spent laughing at the name ‘West Gash’, I must have skipped that when I played Oblivion.

As for Skyblivion, the separate mod remaking Oblivion inside Skyrim, that’s ticking along nicely too. In recent months, the devs have livestreamed work including landscaping the Colovian Highlands and creating the Gatekeeper. Let’s pretend that I haven’t forgotten what words mean during my week’s holiday.

1. ChrisT1981 says:

Isn’t Skywind the Project that wants to bring Morrowind to Skyrim and Skyblivion the one for Oblivion?

Other than that I think it’s time to reinstall Sykrim.

2. YogSo says:

Skywind, the separate mod remaking Oblivion inside Skyrim

Er, Alice, it’s called Skywind, they are not recreating Oblivion with that mod. That also explains why you can’t remember a region called West Gash in Cyrodiil. ;-)

3. Velko says:

Misread that as “Burma mod”. Now that would have been interesting!

4. brucethemoose says:

[quote]creating the Gatekeeper[/quote]

Now THAT’S the one I’m interested in. The Shivering Isles was one heck of a DLC, and is probably my favorite place in TES.

5. Sin Vega says:

It’s lovely to see new places added, but aside from their appearance, towns were always the least interesting places in these post-morrowind games. I’d love to see more wilderness.

Although that said, I still haven’t seen half of Skyrim’s areas anyway, what with walking everywhere and trying at all costs not to die.

6. poliovaccine says:

Yknow, along some similar lines, I just glanced at the Morrowind Nexus the other day out of idle curiosity, and two of the most relatively recent mods to catch my eye were enormous landmasses like this one, both of which seem to be by the same team, or at least under the same broad organization.

Anyway, the idea of em both is to create Skyrim and Cyrodiil in Morrowind – the projects being called “Skyrim: Home of the Nords” and “Province_Cyrodiil,” respectively – but what’s interesting to me is that they’re *not* just bringing over the contents of TESIV and TESV tit for tat. Rather, these are wholly new interpretations based on the lore about those places, from Morrowind and Daggerfall, sources from before we had any visuals for these locations, back when they were just something you’d imagine from reading about em in one of the earlier games – the way Valenwood or Elsweyr currently exist for us now. Reading of Skyrim and Cyrodiil back then, the mod authors envisioned each of those areas distinctly differently from the games we ultimately got, and so these projects are to rebuild those provinces entirely from scratch, according to their own vision, with the lore and location names being about the only thing in common. Using Bethesda’s world and lore as a template, but filling in their own blanks.

Personally I think it’s a really cool idea, but it’s also helped along by the fact that the screenshots actually look great. More than just being competently constructed, they’re good at evoking a sense of place, and the place is a distinctive one, it’s not just a rehash of the official versions. The Skyrim one, in particular, just “feels” really nice to me (I say “feels” in quotes cus I havent played through it, I’m just talking about the screenshots). I know part of the “feel” comes down to just the engine and assets, but I see a number of little touches where it manages to be quite distinct, architecturally and environmentally, without taking any weird liberties or even necessarily having all that much different on paper. But moreover, the mood it evokes reminds me more of Banished, as in, I feel like I can really sense the winter, can feel the crystalline bite of the icy wind as it blasts between the slats of the huts – it does seem a bit greyer and starker than the official vision of Skyrim (especially the bloomy-ass Special Edition), which is purely a subjective preference, but one I really like.

The Province Cyrodiil one I frankly have less to judge by, because I just never made it beyond the first city in that game – it seemed almost aggressively boring, and inflexibly tame, but we all know the Morrowind cultists like me are glitched in the head ourselves on that topic so that isn’t a conversation I intend to start, I only mention it to say I saw very little of Oblivion to compare. But I like the look of what I see in this mod page, and I’d be especially interested in any interpretation of Cyrodiil which can liberate it from that painfully *vanilla* sense which so constrained it, in my view.

I must say, I’m perfectly welcoming of any project bringing Oblivion into either Morrowind or Skyrim, since then Oblivion might finally exist in a form I could stand to play..!

One thing that really appeals to me about the idea behind the both of these mods is just the notion of “what they envisioned before the official version came,” because I not only recognize that intimately, I’ve even been inspired to mod because of it myself. And there’s been so many games which I dreamt of in prerelease interviews and demos as having all these different things that didnt actually come to pass – or things they did have, I might have envisioned totally differently when I’d only heard of em as mentioned in interviews or alluded to in trailers or whatever. Even when I’m perfectly pleased with what turned out instead, I really like the idea of realizing some of those early visions.

It’s a nebulous thing to describe, but maybe the best example I can give is being a teenager and seeing STALKER previewed in an issue of PC Gamer, and the screenshot it used was in third person mode. Now, these days I know that STALKER does have a third person mode, but you’d be a bit insane to use it. It’s an FPS by most any metric. It was a long time before I realized third person mode actually exists in the game, in fact, but when I did, it immediately flashed me back to that early preview image, and my early conception that it was going to be a *third person* game! Which I was totally fine with, I dont have a strong preference about that like some folks do – my point is just that it was weird, remembering that scroungy, open world, *third-person* post-apocalypse game I’d pined for and pictured, but which never actually came to exist. In the screenshot, the character had been in a ghillie suit too, which led me to envision a whole camouflage mechanic, hiding in bushes or pressing down prone in tall grass – stuff which turned out to not be in the final game, obviously, at least not at that level. But these mods which bring one Elder Scrolls game into another sort of touch on that sense to me – everyone’s got their own idea what these places should be like, and they have the means to express it, which I think is just ridiculously cool.

Anyway, those are probably old news to a bunch of you, but they were news to me as of just a couple weeks ago when I glimpsed em on the Morrowind Nexus. The idea that entire new landmasses can come and go without any special notice these days just speaks of how far modding has come today. So yeah, I figure anyone who’s interested in the mod featured in the article might want to look at these, too.

Bethesda get a lot of shit from the fine folks of the internet, but they really cant be given enough credit for their contributions to modding, and thereby games (especially, if indirectly, indie games) in general. The accessibility of their public dev tools is still unmatched, and frankly so is their commitment to their modding communities – I mean, way back with *Morrowind* they were printing a whole *second disc* just to package the Construction Set along with the base game – they clearly made it a priority, and I wonder just how much of the current state of things they foresaw, or even could have guessed at, never mind hoped for – because there were certainly a few active, avid modding communities before, but to my knowledge, there was never anything quite so *inclusive,* so straightforward, Lego-esque and *idiotproof* as the editors they gave us then and still do today. I mean, they enable people who cant even *spell* to make scripted quest mods. That’s saying something. I dont think it should be too controversial when I say we wouldnt have these enormous, DLC or even full-release sized mods of cities and landmasses (and even whole new games) to enjoy if those fun and easy tools were never made so available.

Drib says:

Shouldn’t their publisher be sure to ban the mod tools, now that people are trying to bring an old game forward? Come on, they’ll use the tools to hack ESO.

Comment on this story