Humanity is a beautiful, creepy game about crowds

humanity

The trailer for Humanity is 75 seconds long. In that time, I decided it was the best and most beautiful thing I’d seen for months, then figured it might not be for me at all, and finally realised that it was going to make me very sad and a little bit scared. I just watched it again and even though I’m sort of convinced it’s trying to trick me into engaging with a puzzle game, I definitely want to play it right now, whatever it might be. Take a look.

It’s all quite tranquil, in a slightly sinister sort of way, until the beatings start. And then the shooting starts and it’s suddenly very alarming.

Going from tranquil to alarming so smoothly in just over sixty seconds is a sign of high-performance art, I’d say. I’m still slightly dubious about those big arrows and tumbling streams of people that make me think Humanity might be a bit more like Lemmings than I’d like, but this is definitely something I want to play.

Developers tha ltd describe Humanity as a “crowd action game” rather than a puzzle game, though “action” may simply refer to the fact that the masses of humanity never pause. They walk, ever onward, sometimes looking like commuters in an underground transport system, sometimes looking like shoppers in a mall. Then they fall, then they fight, then they kill.

I like people, I really do, but this has put me off the idea of braving the crowds to do my Christmas shopping. Makes me want to curl up all alone in my bedroom. You can see more of it, and some other art projects, right here.

1. Freud says:

So Lemmings?

• lockexxv says:

Yeah, this looks like Lemmings without the cool often cute tools used to progress. Much darker tone, much higher amount of characters on screen, with a quasi-Portal look to it.

• JarinArenos says:

“So what if we made Lemmings, but as a horror game?”

• April March says:

I like the idea that that was indeed the idea seed for this game, because it follows that the response was “What should we use instead of lemmings?”

2. and its man says:

Designers. Don’t trust them people. They make everything look laundered.

– one rusty nail and its artist

3. Banks says:

Very interesting concept.

• Czrly says:

It did look interesting. Until it added smashing violence and guns. At that point, I lost all vestiges of interest.

WHY did they do that? The teleporting and jumping and flowing of the crowd was so great and even the brawl that broke out when the different coloured tribes met in the middle was tolerable. And, then, DEATH AND GUNS. Because.

Tasteless.

• LessThanNothing says:

Can’t tell if you’re joking or not. Either way I laughed at your comment so that’s good

Tasteless. Sad. Shame!

4. li says:

Commuting in the most crowded area of the biggest city in the world (so I lately hear) is my daily nightmare. I’ll try to look at this crowd as some kind of lemmingity, who knows, it may help make it a more relaxed experience..

5. cpt_freakout says:

Looks (and sounds) very intriguing. Looking forward to more!

6. Monggerel says:

Can’t embed videos for the life of me, but the trailer rather strongly reminded me of De Staat’s “Witch Doctor” video.

Also, crowds are disturbing. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww

• Lars Westergren says:

> Also, crowds are disturbing. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww

Agreed. And something I thought the trailer managed to catch very well. Individual humans can be reasoned with. Big crowds feel like wild animals. Impressive, unpredictable and not to be trusted.

• mejoff says:

Witch Doctor was absolutely my first thought as well. it’s the mass of people hitting the centre and going impossibly upwards, isn’t it.

Comment on this story