Mass Effect 2 “Prelude To E3″ Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on May 16th, 2009 at 8:37 am.

Bioware are getting busying hyping up the major unveiling of Mass Effect 2 at E3, discussing the aim of “intensity” in the game, the amping up of combat, and the darker “Wild West” storyline. The trailer mostly focuses on the devs talking about what they’re excited about, but does include a fair bit of in-game footage. I’ve linked the to the Joystiq version of the video because there seems to be something funny going on with the main site.

, .

1. Azhrarn says:

While I enjoyed the shooty bits of ME, I liked the overarching storyline even more, so I hope they haven’t sacrificed the quality of that to include more action. It does look good, and if EA doesn’t do anything stupid (like not release it on Steam and impose an activation limit on the disc version), I will be getting it ASAP, providing my PC can run it properly. Since it will probably use the Unreal Engine 3 like its predecessor, I hope the system requirements for it will be reasonably mild.

2. feffrey says:

Any news on if this will come out at the same time as the console version?
    I would be very sad if they delay the pc version by 6-8 months as they did with the first one.

3. Nighthood says:

I am excited. So very excited.

4. zabber says:

Oh my! Sylar is designing an evil video game!

5. MrBejeebus says:

oooooo that looks awesome!

theyre developing it for 360 and pc simultaneaously

hopefully EA will have come to UK steam by then as well…

the story looks interesting as well, i didnt quite like the whole “saviour of the galaxy” thing it was a bit too big

6. skizelo says:

Mass Effect 2: Self Restraint is a Weakness?
    Also, PR guys need to learn that no amount of gimmicky camera work and nifty filters will make game developers look cool. Just cut your losses and interview them at their desks.

7. Alex says:

Considering how much combat is involved with UNC quests, improving it will only help the part of the game that felt the most threadbare.

Despite the problems the first one had, I’m more excited for this game than Dragon Age.

8. Shadowmancer says:

Oh god that looks awesome but if I buy Mass Effect 1 it will just be under a huge pile of games I have yet to get around to yet.

9. subedii says:

And here’s the Gametrailers link for those that want a download:

10. cncplyr says:

Can’t wait! Loving mass effect 1 (even though I haven’t quite finished it yet)

11. ironanno says:

@skizelo game developers are cool even at their desks. Would make for a more boring video methinks to film them there.

12. Gap Gen says:

The Geth have doggies?

13. skizelo says:

@ironanno: remember that Alpha Protocol trailer where they dragged Chris Avellone outside to an alley which somehow had noiry blind lighting anyway? It’s just lame!

14. Heliocentric says:

I’m glad that mass effect was a success. Bioware baby stepped away from the save the baby/eat the baby(good/evil) they have been trapped with ever since the end of baldurs gate 2.

Hopefully mass effect 2 will properly escape the issue and even if it doesn’t it’ll still be a quality title i don’t doubt.

15. Lack_26 says:

I’m so excited by this, better make a back up of my ME1 save. Wouldn’t want to lose it.

16. Gap Gen says:

Heliocentric: I thought Mass Effect was still an example of Good/Evil/Neutral. They even had a slider bar to show which you were. There were some vaguely interesting decisions, but it was usually fairly apparent which was the good/evil/neutral choice.

17. Morph says:

@Gap Gen

At no point in Mass Effect were you ever evil. It was more of a hero/anti-hero affair. You could go round being a saint and following orders, or you could be a bad-ass and follow your own rules. But you were effectively a good hero either way.

I thought it made much more sense than the good/evil switch.

Yeah, I’m really excited about this one.

18. Premium User Badge James G says:

Also in ME the two scales were independent, and you could pick up renegade points without losing paragon points.

19. Heliocentric says:

Actually, subjectively i came to the opinion that by extending the ruthlessness of evil to the concept of racial survivalism was smart. Rather than being an idiot threatening people for extra money you were a racial supremisist trying to survive in a universe which doesn’t give a crap about humans. Of course instead of ‘eat/save the baby’ its ‘save some humans while sacrificing the more aliens/save lots of aliens while sacrificing some humans’. Sure its still good/evil if you value all life quantitively(you great big hippy you), but at least the evil isn’t retarded evil.

20. Gap Gen says:

OK, I didn’t realise any of that. That’s moderately more interesting.

21. Heliocentric says:

Also, good vs evil always was boring. Chaos vs law is where the real interesting questions lie.

22. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I really should stop watching these trailers. I remember being annoyed with myself for spoiling much of Eden Prime and smatterings of the game thereafter. Oh well, looks like it’ll be a media blackout for me from hereon out.

The Geth have doggies?

Unless the Geth just had a visit from a circle fixated style consultant, I’d put my bets on those being Cerberus robo-hounds (they lose points for having less than three heads).

23. Ashurbanipal says:

I was ambivalent about the first one, but on the whole it was a decent game.

I’m hoping the lead doesn’t bark his lines at people like the galaxy’s most unsympathetic arsehole. I remember there were times (I can’t think of specific examples) where I thought I had selected the nicest option but been taken aback by the gruff, laconic stuff that’s come out of his mouth.

Probably the thing I liked most about it was the data vault thing. I’m a sucker for fluff.

That and being able to kill Ashley. I can’t imagine why they thought it would be a good idea to have some harridan who can’t speak to you without some barbed, often xenophobic, statement as a potential love interest. More frustrating is the most interesting of the girls, Tali, wasn’t even an allowed romance. I don’t care if she’s got a mask over her face, I can tell she’s hot under there, and I’ve got a thing for gypsies.

24. Heliocentric says:

You complain about the mask but i know you are into that kinda thing. I checked your browser history.

25. Ashurbanipal says:

The love that dare not show its face? Is that so wrong?

26. Seniath says:

How long until we start seeing teasers for announcements of big reveals?

WHEN WILL IT END?!

or:

WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!

27. Gap Gen says:

Seniath: Kinda? They seem to be doing an incremental kind of thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if they released a demo that showed only five seconds of gameplay before a full-length demo.

28. Premium User Badge James G says:

@Ashurbanipal
    I played a female Shepard specifically because I heard that the voice-acting was better, especially for players that tend to take a less gung-ho approach.

29. the probe says:

They look like houndeyes.

30. CakeAddict says:

Almost the whole vid I could only think; Awesome moustache.
    I’m certainly going to play mass effect 1 again before it gets released since I have no save any more.

31. Subject 706 says:

Dear Bioware : PLEASE ditch the copy/paste missions. Make this game less mediocre. Please please pretty please.

32. Seniath says:

@James G: Jennifer Hale makes anything better. Fact.

33. Pidesco says:

Now, as long as Bioware completely axes the uncharted planets exploration bits and makes it so that the dialogue isn’t limited by the VO budget and we might have an ok game.

Finally, if they manage to add some challenge to the combat it might be quite a cool game.

34. Larington says:

Wow, the difference between ME1 and the sequel is literally light and day. I’m glad they’ve realised that the combat system lacked a certain punch and are working on addressing that.

Oh, and mr developer dude. Nice tache. (Insert thumbs up sign here) ;-)

I wonder if they’ve figured out a way of getting the AI to move from one piece of cover to another in an intelligent manner (Also, in the case of ally AI, preventing AI characters from standing between you and the enemy).

I’d argue they can keep the planet exploration stuff, on the condition that EVERY planet has something GENUINELY interesting going on there.

35. Gap Gen says:

Well, in the PC version there was an elaborate command system that I never used.

36. Premium User Badge Vandelay says:

So, this is a trailer for a trailer?

Why, oh why do they need to keep going on about how great the combat is going to be compared to the original. The combat was the best part of the original, it didn’t need improving. There were other areas that needed significant work done to them, which it looks like they aren’t going to bother changing with this one. Improvement on the side quests, the inventory, less linear approach to the missions, more characters to talk to on missions outside of the Citadel, speech options that required you to think about what you should say rather than “shall I be evil or good?” (each of which produces the same result) and more interesting squad members are things that needed to be worked on.

I’m sure the combat will be great in this, but I expect more from an RPG than the combat. This preview makes it sound like they are making a third-person action game and not an RPG.

37. ...hmm... says:

dont they mean m2ss 2ff2ct tw2?

38. Haggard says:

@James G
    Likewise, but with the added reasoning that in a 3rd person shooter I’d rather stare at a female backside for extended periods, as opposed to a guy’s.
    Possibly because a FPS is “me”, but 3rdPS is…a puppet.

I think one of the RPS authors mentioned the subject.

39. Plinglebob says:

No sure whether its a good or a bad thing that it took 90 seconds for someone to mention how its going to be darker.

40. Azhrarn says:

ME1 obviously had to much colour Plingle, you might be fooled that the universe was actually a decent place to live. [/end sarcasm]

I dislike that trend of making everything darker , colour isn’t a bad thing, a more menacing story doesn’t need to include washed out colours and extra dirt. I hope they don’t take it too far.

41. Larington says:

I’m pretty sure when they talk about making things darker, they don’t mean less colours, just less light and less nice people. If they were saying they were gonna make the visuals more bad-ass (Whatever THAT means), then yeah I’d expect the saturation to be way down.

Sure, the combat wasn’t bad, certainly above average, and I guess this is a matter of opinion but I still felt the combat was missing a certain something.

42. grey_painter says:

I lost heart slightly when I heard it was going to be darker in look. I’m all for serious and tough stories but does it all have to be in a dark environment? Do bad things only happen in ruins and dieing forests? Nothing bad ever happens in the bright warming light of a generally happy city or pleasant woodland.

I’m still planning to play this around when it comes out though.

43. Ben Abraham says:

Bioware: “I heard you like trailers, so we made a trailer to our trailer so you can preview while you preview.”

44. jalf says:

I think people are reading too much into the “darker” thing. We know damn well from the ending of ME1 that the galaxy isn’t going to be a happy laid-back place in coming years. It’s only cool if the graphics reflect this. And no, “darker” does not (have to) mean “less color”. I’m guessing they just mean a darker atmosphere. Maybe more, better, and darker shadows, for example, effects that highlight that the galaxy is a more dangerous and unknown place than it was a few years ago.

@Ashurbanipal: Some of us played a female Shepard for pretty much that reason. I liked her voice (and looks) much better. And I liked Ashley. I thought she made an interesting character, not least because of her slight xenophobia. Then again, I never did get to see her romance plotline, so I can’t say if she was worse there. Kaidan was the one who annoyed me the most. Just a dull character.

45. Thirith says:

@Ashurbanipal and other Ashley haters: I thought it was interesting that they included someone who was basically on the ‘good’ side but still had some pretty iffy opinions and values. Makes for more convincing tensions and storylines than the usual split of the NPCs into Goody Two-shoes characters and raving homicidal maniacs.

46. Azhrarn says:

While what you say is true Jalf, you must admit that usually when devs start going on about a “darker atmosphere” the pallet tends to get reduced to quote Yahtzee “every colour of the dirt spectrum” rather than just making the environments seem more menacing through other means.

On a side-note: I also mainly played a female Sheppard, and compared to the male her voice-acting was a lot better. That alone made me choose a female for most of the 7 or 8 times I’ve completed the game. (I have one male Sheppard I think, the others are all female) ME’s more ambiguous morals really helped the story I think, there were no real good or evil choices, you were still going to save the galaxy either way. But what they’d think of humanity afterwards was going to be quite different. :)

47. jalf says:

I too really liked the way they ditched the good/evil spectrum. It was much more convincing when you instead had to choose between cruel or nice hero. You’re a hero no matter what, you’re saving the galaxy. But it’s up to you if you want to be polite about it. :p

About the “darker” thing, we obviously don’t know yet what it’s going to mean for the actual game. But from this teaser, I’d say their *intentions* are for a more menacing environment, rather than a “real is brown. Dirt brown” thing. Their artists might still get the two mixed up, of course, but so far, I’m not too worried. Not least because the original ME team seemed to know what they were doing art-wise. They knew about color, and I doubt they’d suddenly forget all that just because the team lead said “darker”. :)

Forgot the most important thing… EPIC MUSTACHE on that guy!

48. Sonic Goo says:

I don’t care about darker or lighter, I just hope the environments will be a bit less bland than in the first one. The flying cars bits look promising in that respect. Still derivative, but at least of a more recent source. :)

49. teo says:

I see that Heliocentric is an old broedeo fan :d

50. Smurfy says:

When EA release their Steam games to the two countries they’ve so far ignored, I’ll start getting excited.