Steam + Lucasarts = Global Fangasm

By Alec Meer on July 6th, 2009 at 6:48 pm.

The most breakingest of breaking news, via the official Lucasarts twitter feed – which has been horribly teasing the poor, frustrated internet for the last few days about what, they promised, was a massively exciting announcement. A Day of the Tentacle remake? A new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game? Officially striking the Star Wars prequels from the record? The Loom 2: Loomier? Nah- they’ve only gone and lobbed a crapload of their classic back catalogue onto Steam. Rejiggered for XP and Vista compatibility too, no less.

What’s that strange noise? It’s thousands of 30-year-old men simultaneously having a Special Wee, that’s what.

This little lot is available from the 8th July:

•Armed and Dangerous
• Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM
• Star Wars Battlefront II
• Star Wars Republic Commando
• Star Wars Starfighter
• The Dig
• Thrillville: Off the Rails

On the 15th, that’s followed up by Secret Of Monkey Island Special Edition (the remake, not the new Telltale episodes).

Clap your hands and say yeah. And even overlooked latter-day gem Republic motherfuggin’ Commando finally gets its day in the sun!

Of course, there are immediately notable absences, such as the holy quadrilogy of Sam & Max Hit The Road, Day of The Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango, and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, but we’re promised “this is just the beginning. We know how much you guys love our old games.”

They’ve taken their sweet time about this, having steadfastedly ignored our changing times for years, and God only knows why. Judging by the current explosion of joy around the web, though, it’s most certainly not too little too late.

Oh, and they’d bloody better not forget about Yoda Stories…

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Uglycat says:

/me lights a cigarette

2. Yougiedeggs says:

I already use ScummVM to play these with my old CD’s.
    Nevertheless, I’m still waiting for a Vista Premium compatible Grim Fandango :D

3. Anonononomous says:

Should have put them on GoG.

4. frymaster says:

i had a bastard of a time getting the xwing / tie fighter games working on vista (remember they were originally DOS games!)

i seem to recall they may have been ported to the xwing vs tie fighter engine, which works for xp but not for vista

hopefully the delay is so they can get them working properly – yes I’m an optimist :(

5. orta says:

The Dig was great.

6. MrBejeebus says:

As a young person originating from the 90′s, I’ve never EVER expirienced these so called “Adventure” games, I shall look forward to a new-old expirience.

7. bildo says:

Lucas Arts went from being the company that I hated because of it’s Star Wars and new IP kick, to the company I love and remember in the course of a month. Let’s see if this continues.

8. Persus-9 says:

Big of an odd selection, pretty much none of my favourites in there but I’m just really happy they’re finally taking big steps in the right direction.

9. Simon Jones says:

Having never, ever played the X-Wing/TIE-Fighter games, but having read about them jealously in various gaming magazines back when I only had an Acorn, I have extremely large fingers crossed that they’re on the way.

Never played the Indy adventures, either – I seem to recall general opinion being pretty high?

10. Duoae says:

Is this available worldwide? I’m still suspicious of these announcements having been annoyed by a few “we’re on steam” dealies turn out to be US only.

11. Duoae says:

Oh yeah… and if they release X-wing i’m buying it thrice…. DoTT and the Dig are also welcome. :D

12. Wooly says:

WHAT. “this is just the beginning. We know how much you guys love our old games.”
    WHAAAAAAAAT!?!?

I came buckets.

I do agree that they should have put those on GOG though! Perhaps they soon will…

13. AndrewC says:

The first thing you can shoot in Armed & Dangerous is a completely harmless penguin. It flops over with then state-of-the-art ragdoll physics. Hilarious and tragic, it is the best part of the game.

14. faelnor says:

Is this the FM-TOWNS version of LOOM with the updated graphics / original dialogue ? Also would like the original iMUSE soundtrack as the digital audio one never really cut it.

15. skizelo says:

Good news on Fate of Atlantis. Last I heard about it was that it was bundled, Manic Mansion and Day of the Tentacle style, to the new Indie Wii game, and I honestly considered buying both Wii and (reportedly) lackluster game because I’ve lost my copy.
    Simon Jones, The Last Crusade is pretty punishing (eg, to fly a plane midway through the game, you’d have to have checked out a book on pilotry in the library at the beginning) but Fate of Atlantis is a well-written, multi-pathed gem.

16. Rob says:

I’ve never been so happy that I will shortly be so much out of pocket

17. Heliocentric says:

Prices will be critical. Don’t fuck up lucasarts.

18. cyrenic says:

This is awesome. Hopefully we’ll see the X-Wing series get a re-release, and see these on GoG.com as well.

19. dhex says:

awesome. wonder what the price point will be?

20. Kadayi says:

This is good. Personally I’m more interested in the ‘coming soon’ category because the Vista/Windows 7 compatible version of Grim Fandango would make my day. Certainly will be getting The Dig though, as its a game I always wanted to play. Also kind of hoping that these also turn up on GoG as well (because you get the extras), though I suspect the DRM free aspect will discount that from happening.

21. dartt says:

Oh wow flashback! Thanks for reminding me about Yoda Stories!

22. Carra says:

Yeah, should have put them on gog.com. I’ll see what they ask for them, for €5 a piece I’ll try the Indie games. €10 would be too much. I’m curious about their price setting.

And I was quickly browsing through the list to find Grim Fandango. No luck :(

23. Theoban says:

EMBARRASSING REVELATION BELOW:

I have never played The Dig

*stunned silence all round, sharp intakes of breath, a Victorian-age lady faints*

24. Monchberter says:

Dark Forces PLEASE!!!!

That game popped my FPS cherry before Doom.

Knowing Lucasarts and their tendency to repackage and rerelease occasionally, expect every Star Wars PC game to be chucked up. I really hope they fix the probs with Vista / XP AND sort and update online support for XWing vs TIE Fighter. I remember the pre GFWL Microsoft gaming servers and they were all a bit shite.

25. DarthInsinuate says:

Yay, Republic Commando. It’s like the more actioney brother of SWAT 4.

Also, yay, Starfighter. It’s like the more cerebral brother of Rogue Squadron.

26. c-Row says:

So, am I still a nerd if I try to find them in their original boxes?

Also, woohoo!

27. Serondal says:

I loved Tie Fighter back in the day, I had the expansion pack that let you fly Tie Defenders ect. I never really liked X-Wing VS Tie Fighter though, the ships seemed smaller and a lot harder to hit and death seemed to have a lot more often regardless what you did. It seemed like every ship had missle launchers which made it a lot harder and with no story line it was just boring even online.

Republic Commando was VERY good though.

28. dragon says:

I’m sad that it’s Steam and not GOG.com.

29. Lars Westergren says:

First the 2k Huge Pack on Steam and now this… I’ve never played Loom when it came either but have heard so much good about it from friends.

And then we have Alpha Protocol, Dragon Age and more on the way. And I’ve not finished Witcher or Mysteries of Westgate. Argh! How am I going to have time to play all this??

30. rkcr says:

Does anyone know if the LOOM from Steam includes the 30 minute audio cassette introduction that came with the original?

31. Dolphan says:

Loom and Republic Commando are both essential if you haven’t played them. Ok, so maybe RC isn’t quite essential, but it’s still pretty damn good.

32. LaundroMat says:

I hadn’t even heard of The Dig! Then again, I stuck to my Amiga until I couldn’t resist the PC. And Half-Life.

Fingers crossed for a decent price.

33. Mr Pink says:

No TIE Fighter :(

Still my favourite game of all time. There were versions of X-Wing and TIE fighter in the XvT engine, but neither had the Imuse system, which played music which linked up to events. Still the best music system ever IMHO, it was just so seemless, despite the tininess of the midi.

34. passingtramp says:

Too right about Yoda Stories. I still have it on my hard disk, but it and Vista just won’t get along…

35. Persus-9 says:

Thinking about that list I have a theory. Those are the games that are sort of popular. Not the ones that don’t really deserve to be resurected like Rebel Assault and not the absolute classics like Full Throttle. My theory is they’re holding back the classics to see how well the Monkey Island special edition does and if it does well then they’ll give the same treatment to all the classics and if it doesn’t do well they’ll just shove them out as straight ports like these.

36. suibhne says:

@Persus-9: Personally, I’d argue that Fate of Atlantis was an absolute classic like Full Throttle, and would probably be even more amenable to a “Special Edition” remake because of the marketability of the Indiana Jones franchise. Oh well.

37. A says:

Yay, after teasing all that time, made people imagine sequels to their beloved games, they announced, gloriously… That nothing new.
    They are only releasing older games, and worst of all, doing that on Steam. Making a deal with GoG would have been too much ? You had to make crazily old games enter the DRM world ? Pff.

38. Erlam says:

“Prices will be critical. Don’t fuck up lucasarts.”

And how. If I see ‘remastered’ in the description, or the price rises about 10-15 dollars, watch your attempt fail.

Also, as a dev I know how I’d feel, but I wonder how it feels to the people who worked on games since these were put out that there’s more excitement for TIE Fighter than any Lucasarts game pretty much since then.

That would make one pout, I’d imagine.

39. Mr Popov says:

“There’s nothing of importance here”

40. Stense says:

More yays!
    I never got the chance to play some of their older games, and have since lost the discs for others, so this is great news. Is this a Lucasarts revival starting? I do hope so.

41. jsutcliffe says:

How did you know I’m 30?

I never did play The Dig or LOOM. Those will be snapped up quicksharp by me. Republic Commando always appealed in an arcade-Rainbow-6-in space way, too.

42. Pavel says:

I want them on GOG.

Also, I want all Jedi Knights on GOG.

That is all.

43. Persus-9 says:

@ suibhne: Yeah I was thinking that as a typed it, Fate of Atlantis is an odd one out on that list. It ain’t a perfect theory that’s for sure but I still feel quite good about it, I think there’s some truth there.

There are also all the modern games that don’t need any touching up on that list but they don’t hurt my theory like Fate of Atlantis does.

44. Mr Popov says:

Loom is more of a kids game really.

at least I remember playing it as a kid and the difficulty was just right. It’s very linear and very simplistic and touches on a few children’s tales.

Anyway for a better adventure game experience I recommend Day of the Tentacle (which for some reason isn’t on the list?) and Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis (lots of fun here and good voice acting from what I remember)

45. Clovis says:

::grumble: This just removes my justification for pirating the games as abandonware. I’m too busy playing recent games anyway…

46. kalidanthepalidan says:

A nice start. Hopefully they will get to the real jems soon.

47. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Loom may be easy, but it’s still a lot of fun. But maybe that’s my nostalgia talking.

Not too happy with LucasArts after they’ve neglected the non-StarWars and X-Wing games for so long. It’s going to take a bit more to get my attention (unless I really can’t get my old games to work).

48. Jayteh says:

Lucasarts catalog on steam? Fuckin’ A

49. Serondal says:

Some of those games aren’t old at all. Lego Indiana Jones is really pretty new Battlefront 2 was horrible compared to the first battlefront IMO

Comment on this story