RPS Announces Partnership With Eurogamer

By Jim Rossignol on June 1st, 2010 at 4:01 pm.

Yes, we have kissed Eurogamer, all of them.
Blimey, news about us! What does it mean? Well, you might have noticed that our adverts are a bit nob. We’ve been working on fixing that so that we can both make a bit more money and look a little less like we’re run out of a shy teenager’s attic. Eurogamer have stepped in to help out, which means RPS is soon going to become bigger and maybe even a bit better. And prettier, too, probably. We’re still editorially independent – we still own the site and control all the content – and will remain a bastion of PC gaming righteousness. We’ll just be doing it from a golden helicopter-fortress over the Bahamas. Any questions? Ask ‘em below. (I also put the press release down there, to show off.)

For Immediate Release:

Eurogamer Announces Rock, Paper, Shotgun Sales Partnership

Brighton, England, 1st June 2010. Eurogamer, Europe’s leading independent games media specialist, is delighted to announce that it has entered a partnership with Rock, Paper, Shotgun (www.rockpapershotgun.com), the UK’s most popular PC gaming website.

The sales deal will see Eurogamer Network acting as Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s sole agent for advertising sales and business development.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun was founded in August 2007 by games industry veterans Kieron Gillen, Alec Meer, John Walker and Jim Rossignol, and attracts over half a million unique users each month with its mix of interviews, commentary, irreverent news and running gags about the staring eyes of respected industry figures.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun is also one of a small number of sites recently added to Valve Software’s Steam client, a digital download delivery system that boasts 25 million installations.

“Working with Eurogamer, a company which has demonstrated the same independent spirit as RPS, makes a huge amount of sense,” said Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s Jim Rossignol.

“The majority of our contributors have worked with the Eurogamer team over the years, too, so it’s a relationship of trust, tea and occasional high-fives.”

Rupert Loman, managing director of Eurogamer Network, commented: “We’re incredibly pleased to be working with Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They’re a hugely talented team whose staunchly independent editorial approach complements that of our own.

“The partnership represents another growth area for our network and a great opportunity for the commercial development of Rock, Paper, Shotgun.”

Rock, Paper, Shotgun will remain editorially independent and intends to invest the fruits of this agreement in extending its coverage of PC gaming, orchestrating more community events and generally improving the quality of service for the many splendid Rock, Paper, Shotgun readers.

Visit Rock, Paper, Shotgun here: www.rockpapershotgun.com

For information on advertising with Rock, Paper, Shotgun please contact:

Dan Robinson

E: dan@eurogamer.net

Tel: 01273 712 550

About Eurogamer Network:

Founded in 1999, Brighton-based Eurogamer Network is the publisher of Europe’s most popular independent videogames website, Eurogamer.net. The site is available in eleven languages across Europe. The company also hosts the Eurogamer Expo and publishes the world’s market-leading industry resource, GamesIndustry.biz. Its newest launch is Megaton.co.uk, a games site for kids. See www.eurogamer.biz for more information on the company’s products and services.

And a theme tune for this momentous event…

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Greg Wild says:

That’s superfly, yo.

2. M says:

Wait, not sure what this means. Is the site staying here, they’re just managing your ads?

Well done, either way. This is what we all wanted to see – RPS growing!

3. PhiIl Cameron says:

Congrats! Make beautiful Eurogamer babies!

4. Heliocentric says:

Do not want. The artist must be starved.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Exactly! Starvation and deprivation yield inspiration which leads to art!

Surely this windfall will only lead to ruin in the end! Although, that ruin may lead to despair which can provide fruit for inspiration..

Alas, all is lost!

5. Ashen says:

Please don’t change the layout to anything resembling eurogamer..

6. Mister Hands says:

Hooray, pip pip, congrats, etc!

7. Stuk says:

Yay! Congrats guys!

When you say prettier… I hope you don’t mean you’re going to lose the easy to read indie-blog stylings for some over the top design? Please :)

• Jim Rossignol says:

No, I just mean there will be less lo-fi adverts for credit ratings.

• Rakysh says:

BUT THEN HOW WILL I KNOW IF I CAN GET EASY CHEAP LOANS RIGHT NOW?

*bawl*

• Rich says:

How about those wonderful seizure inducing Battlefield Heroes ads?

I’m sorry but it doesn’t matter how much I love reading the articles on this wonderful site, animated ads will earn you a week in the scorpion pit. Oh, If you think that’s bad, you don’t want to know what fate awaits those who use ads with sound effects.

• Flaringo says:

Two weeks in a scorpion pit?

8. Nathan says:

I can see what the benefits are for RPS in terms of increased ad revenue, but how does Eurogamer benefit from this partnership?

• Auspex says:

Presumably they take a cut.

• John Walker says:

They take our first-born. For their dark rituals.

• DollarOfReactivity says:

And they can now force John to write a retrospective on every PC adventure game ever, which will be welcome.

• Nathan says:

And here was me thinking that Kotick had first dibs on your firstborns.

Congratulations on increased financial security. I’d get you a card if Clintons sold one for that.

• mrpier says:

I suppose they take half a million pageviews extra with them when they negotitate advertising deals, so it should be a win-win for both parties.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Nathan: Surely that should be Gabe Newell, not Kotick..

9. skalpadda says:

I hope this works out well for you. Will this have any other effects than just advertising though? I don’t mind Eurogamer, but I hope RPS will stay as it is :)

10. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Eurockpapershotgamer!

11. James says:

I live in Brighton. One day I will work for Eurogamer, mark my words!

12. wcaypahwat says:

Bloody corporate sellouts….

just kidding. I’m kinda sick of Evony adverts, especially considering how well loved they are around these parts. You won’t be dropping the GoG ads though?

13. Azazel says:

Brit Awards are sure to follow.

14. AndrewC says:

So confused! Is this, like, a joint bargaining thing where you can offer more page impressions therefore get more money per ad? Or something? Succesful Internet business models are really interesting, and also like good sequels to Deus Ex.

Also what will you be doing for all the really terrible RPS readers?

So many questions.

15. Mario Figueiredo says:

hmm… still Independent? Really? Ok.
    Congratulations, honestly.

I’m just eery of the whole thing. You guys celebrate.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Mario: Basically, RPS is much more popular than most people think. Our page impressions are worth a fair bit more money than we get for them. We’re just incredibly bad at selling them. EG have a great ads sale team that already exist and can handle it. They sell the ads, we split the money. We should make considerably more money than we do now, meaning everyone can spend less time working for other mags and sites, which makes the site better, etc, etc.

That’s the plan, anyway.

KG

• Mario Figueiredo says:

I understand Kieron. I trully do. I’ve guessed that much when shortly after arriving here for the first time I clicked the tiny subscribe link at the top of the page. And you guys confirmed it with the recent request for more subscriptions (not because you requested it, but because you admitted important technical limitations that were constraining you from gathering money in a more effective manner).

Just… please, please do not fall down the hole. Keep the great work you folks have been doing. It’s been truly amazing. And definitely the reason why you get so many hits. For all that matters, I’m personally happy for you guys. I think you deserve it.

I’m just sad it couldn’t have happened in another way. And a tad bit worried because I’ve seen this before… a little everywhere. But I’m confident this will not be another one of those stories.

• jeremypeel says:

Seconded. Also, thanks for letting us know, you community-minded lovelies.

• Vayl says:

So when you publish some controversial stuff like bashing on Ubisoft DRM, how will it affect the advertizing deals of Eurogamer?

Very skeptic about the viability of remaining completly editorial free when the money starts to talk, but let’s hope for the better.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

@Vayl,

This agreement with Eurogamer does not bring anything new to what are RPS journalists relationship with the gaming industry. They will feel the same kind of pressures as before. No more, no less. Neither is this relationship in such a bad shape that the simple fact of bashing a DRM could put a gaming magazine(website, whatever) out of circulation.

You shouldn’t worry about that. I don’t expect the incisiveness of the RPS folks to degrade in any way, because of this. They will keep doing what they ever did. If they think the game sucks or has parts that suck, you’ll hear about it here. Often before anywhere else.

I’m more worried with any possible conflicts of interest between Eurogamer and RPS and hoping they will be dealt with by both parties without this deal coming up as a trump.

What conflicts of interest could those be?
      - RPS being denied coverage because Eurogamer wants to do it first.
      - Deals between both to control the flow of information on both websites.
      - Some hypothetical Eurogamer bad publicity news event not being properly covered by RPS. Or RPS being “suggested” to not cover it.
      - etc.

But the relationships between gaming journalists and the gaming press will be as sour or sweet as it always as been, depending on the moon.

For the problems above, I’m trusting they will never be. Or if they come to be, RPS can deal with this without being shown the way out door. And if they are told that, they show their cojones by taking it.

• The Telemetrics of Robert Francis Bailey says:

*Reaches for tin-foil hat* – Only joking.

In all seriousness though, the world turns and people sadly need money to eat.
      I for one welcome our new Eurogamer overlords.

• Durkan says:

Popular ? really ? say it aint so K!

I thought this was a quiet little corner of the internet where you 4 wrote solely for my benefit – Now I find your talking to 499,999 other people a day!!

I mean I know there are these other people commenting butI assumed you made it all up.

I feel used and unloved… sniflle

Seriously though I like the fact this site feels a bit more intimate like chatting in the pub than “other popular game sites”. The only problem I have is work have banished you to the ebil side of the pigging firewall all of a sudden limiting my lunchtime fix.

16. davbo says:

Should we expect to see any of those “take-over” ad’s such as the SBK X ad currently on the eurogamer front page?

• Heliocentric says:

Those ads are spectacular bullshit when you can’t access the damn site because of them on mobile browsers. Never mind protesting i couldn’t access eurogamer for a week.

• Cooper says:

This

Eurogamer is one of the better sites out there for their use of advertising, so I can see this being overall a Good Thing (TM)

However, those splash ads that Eurogamer use on occasion vary between being acceptable and browsing-inhibiting. Please memo them that if they use that style on good ol’ RPS, they are to do so with care and attention – and possibly only for games that are good.

It always seems like a massive oversight on the marketing dept.’s half when a whole games website is sponsored by those splash ads for a game they then give an average or bad review for…

17. Solivagant says:

I hope you will include an RPS skin. The blood / explosion / gore mixture on the top is golden.

18. DollarOfReactivity says:

Yay for RPS acquiring business people to do their business stuff, and leave themselves to focus on the PC and its many games. I expect the quality of your puns to increase accordingly.

19. Pijama says:

Hooray!

(But if I find that some silly artist has changed the look of RPS to something “edgy” or any crap like that… THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY)

20. Darius K. says:

Excellent. This means less time worrying about advertising and more time worrying about how to say something remotely coherent. Congrats!

21. Alexander Norris says:

If the ads are all EG ads and nothing else, I shall probably disable my adblocker.

• Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I have seen neither, really , i rarely disable my adblocker.

@RPS, how much does it help for each person to disable these things? Ill probably do it, knowing that it helps you.
      I had disabled my blocker once, and couldnt take the ads.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Long term it will help enormously.

22. Cunzy1 1 says:

Eurogamer sold out!

23. Heliocentric says:

“intends to invest the fruits of this agreement in extending coverage of PC gaming, orchestrating more community events, generally improving the quality of the service for the many Rock Paper Shotgun readers and golden helicopters.”

Fixed

24. Vitamin Powered says:

I await eagerly the first “rockpapershotgun used to be so much better b4 Eurogamer! They’ve sold out!” post.

More seriously, congratulations to the team, and hope this leads to even more awesomeness.

25. Tim says:

Smart. Congrats!

26. Colthor says:

Can I have a go in the helicopter?

And can you keep the GOG ad? It saves me typing an eleven-character URL a couple of times a week. Without it my fingers would surely fall off, and then I’d crash your helicopter and everybody would be sad.

• skalpadda says:

I’ll second the request to keep the GoG ad, it’s really handy.

• noerartnoe says:

You do know that (at least in firefox) simply typing in “gog” gets you to the site right?
      (gog.com works as well if you’re not – like me – too lazy to type a dot and three letters extra)

Admittedly, typing “goodoldgames” is a bit more fun, but hey… :p

• noerartnoe says:

Sorry for the double: I will however, third the request in regards to the GOG ad seeing as it really is a brilliant site and should be advertised :p

27. Matt says:

I’m fine with this as long as the site doesn’t begin to look like Eurogamer. That site is literally one of the worst looking professional sites I’ve seen, sorry.

28. Jambe says:

I’d thought maybe this’d mean your comments system & forums would be made non-silly. But that doesn’t seem to be the case… so I just won’t use them much.

Ah well. Good news, anyway, and congratulations!

• Thermal Ions says:

But half the reason I visit the site is to laugh at people’s failed reply comments.

Nah not really, but I do laugh at them still.

29. Ian says:

So what’s in for ME?

30. Solario says:

Congratulations on getting rich like astronauts, guys!

31. Okami says:

*sigh*
    I can remember when all this was just fields and you were just four kids running through the woods. And now you’re all grown up and stuff.

I’m so proud of you!

32. Vadermath says:

Hell yeah! You people keep finding ways of being more awesome.

33. Morph says:

As long as this does not somehow cause RPS to be blocked on my work PC (like Eurogamer is) then congrats.

34. Erik says:

Excellent! This site is in dire need of acai berry and ‘Mom’s secret for teeth whitening’ ads.

• Oddtwang says:

Can’t just be me that finds the “fact” that it was discovered by “A MOM” as opposed to, say, a research chemist* offputting rather than appealing.

*Clearly research chemists can also be mothers. I’d just expect them to use the former qualification when selling me crap.

• Koozer says:

But surely everyone knows the scientists are out to get you with their E numbers and GM crops, and are all bastards for not getting around to curing cancer and solving world hunger yet. It’s obvious that an average mother has a better grasp on things than those know-it-all boffins.

35. The_B says:

I propose as the first joint act, Kieron reviews little known MMORPG, Darkfall.

Oh, wait…

36. Junch says:

I have a bad feeling about this… as long as advertisers don’t take over the content. After all, big games companies buys out ad spaces on sites and in turn, sites don’t give those games bad rep.

I hope it doesn’t become like that

37. Karacan says:

As long as you don’t start giving way-off marks like Eurogamers, all’s good. I love Rock Paper Shotgun and can’t believe that some of your authors also write for Eurogamer. The style is so different. Thankfully, for RPS.

38. James G says:

Congratulations. May you all wear hats made of money. (Alec will have to wear two hats made of money, given his other job related news)

• DollarOfReactivity says:

Yes, at this rate they’ll need cigars and walking sticks to go with their quid-laden fedoras.

• Rich says:

Monocles all round.

39. simonkaye says:

Wait – if Eurogamer bankrolls RPS, where does MJ-12 fit in? Or the illuminati?

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Eurogamer is punded by MJ-12.

And no more jokes about Brickton…*sadface*
      Boot note:
      don’t ask for any examples @ RPS…I just know there must’ve been some!

40. Unaco says:

Wait… There are ads on RPS? May Allah be praised for AdBlocker!
    First time I see or hear about an Interstitial Ad though, I’m gone… Gone I say! Gone like Family values among the lower classes, and plucky British optimism in the face of diversity.

• Heliocentric says:

You mean adversity, or that brits are all racist.

• James G says:

I assume (s)he did mean the latter, or rather intended it as a witty pun, mocking the kind of people who go on about “Dunkirk spirit” but then seemingly collapse into fits of apoplexy when they realise that they might have to live next to someone with a slightly different accent to them, or who might like kissing people with the same sex-chomosomes as them. (The same kind of people who complain about the lack of ‘family values in the lower classes’)

In other words, I thought it was a clever little joke, and one I’m very tempted to steal.

• Unaco says:

I actually meant Diversity, not diversity, the street dance troupe, and winners of Britain’s Got Talent in 2009. If they are the best this country has to offer, we’re in trouble. I just forgot to capitalise the proper noun is all. Sorry for the confusion.

41. Fumarole says:

I read that as Oprah. *shudder*

42. Pew says:

Shiver me timber! You’ll have enough gold to choke a whale!

Sounds like a smart and logical partnership. Carry on.

43. DollarOfReactivity says:

Oh, and:

UK’s most popular PC gaming website

Yes! Quality and integrity win over the rabbling masses. Rabble rabble!

• Lack_26 says:

But if you apply hipster logic, RPS being popular means that it is no longer ‘cool’. Quick! change everything into a DOS-like format and make it as inaccessible as possible before everything is ruined forever! (I remember RPS when started, before it got popular *grumble, grumble*)

44. Clovis says:

I hope I can find a way to word this correctly. I currently subscribe to RPS because I really enjoy the writing and news here. I don’t subscribe to anything else like this; I signed up because I really wanted this site to continue to exist and for y’all to have plenty of time to focus on writing the “This is why I love RPS” type articles.

Anyway, so the question is, do you still need that kind of support from the readers? Or will ad viewing and occasional click-through be enough keep things running well? Will the subscriptions go from being a sort of “donation” to more of an exclusive club? I like the newsletter and occasional codes, but I wouldn’t subscribe just for that.

Either way, this definitely sounds like a good thing for the site, so congrats.

• Jim Rossignol says:

We hope to make the subs deal more of a VIP service, with extra stuff. It’ll evolve over time.

• Heliocentric says:

Clovis: do you like money.
      Jim: i don’t understand the question.

One day 40 years from now all of the content will be double vip and you’ll have to subscribe twice just to get it.

• RedFred says:

Will there be a VIP room? In da club?

45. Kez says:

Remember your motto: Don’t be weevil.

46. bitter says:

Sellouts

47. nabeel says:

Congratulations!

48. Schaulustiger says:

Ummmm… one of the things I liked about RPS was your strict ad policy, meaning no pop-up stuff, no “fills my whole screen and I need five minutes to find the close-button” flash crap.

Are those times over now? I would make a very sad panda face if they were :(

49. pabswikk says:

I LOVE YOU RPS.
    Sorry, just wanted to make sure you guys know that. Should probably read the article now…

50. Vague-rant says:

First thing I could think of was Britain joining the Euro.

• Jimbo says:

Yes, I suppose 97% of our gaming news will come from Brussels now, written by unelected journalists – and who has to pay for it?? Muggins here, that’s who. Don’t even get me started on the DRM treaty referendum we were promised.

• Bascule42 says:

You aint gonna get me in no Euro sucka.