DogFighter Gets Dedicated Servers, Demo

By John Walker on August 17th, 2010 at 7:53 pm.

EEEEEEENNNNEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

Last night DogFighter fully relaunched itself, with some significant changes. In response to player feedback, the biggest difference is the addition of dedicated servers, along with proper joystick and gamepad support, a long list of bug fixes, and on top of all that, a demo. And to celebrate, the game’s 50% off all this week.

The game is a pure arcadey aeronautical combat sim (similar to Attack On Pearl Harbor, which I’m crusading to see re-released on PC), but multiplayer, with seventy billion pick-ups. And now with dedicated servers it’s easy-peasy to get a game.

Obviously we all like dedicated servers. Dedication is what we need, if we want to be the best, if we want to beat the rest. So 120 “Retail Dedicated” servers is a splendid move, along with 20 “Demo Dedicated” servers for all those hopping onto the miniaturised version of the game. We’re told that Australian servers are coming soon too. And via Multiplay, there’s an RPS-dedicated server in there too!

The team behind the game, Dark Water Studios, have made a really cute map charting the progress of the game’s development, along with the plans for the next couple of updates.

The demo currently has a bug which means the dedicated servers take a long time to appear, but that’s currently being worked on and should be patched out by this evening. And it still works on local severs.

You can read the full list of bug fixes on their Steam forum page, in case you’re checking for something that had annoyed you before.

The game’s only £6 this week, which seems an excellent bargain.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. LewieP says:

Aww, that’s put a big grin on my face. That’s really sweet.

I am going to buy this right now.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Worth trying this, actually, it’s a good laugh.

3. Sam says:

Oh, excellent. This game’s always good for a quick bit of shooting things, and joystick support being added while I am home and actually have a joystick makes me very happy indeed.

• Jad says:

For those who have played it: is it still playable with mouse + keyboard, or do you need a joystick or gamepad?

• DrGonzo says:

Last time I played you were much better off using a mouse and keyboard. With the sensitivity up you could do a very sharp 180. Whereas the 360 controller with the sensitivity up was very slow.

• Sam says:

It’s actually probably *easiest* to play with a mouse and keyboard–I’ve never used a 360 controller.

I think I’m actually better with a mouse/keyboard than a joystick, but a joystick is even more fun.

4. Tacroy says:

I’m probably gonna buy it at that price. Now you can all fear my flying God-Engine!

• Tacroy says:

Wait no shoot there’s Borderlands for cheap too and I can only justify $10 a week on games… damn it Steam, why do you have to give me choices? I’ll probably have to go with Borderlands too, just because my Internet connection is pretty shoddy at the moment and most likely will not support Dogfighter that well.

5. bogie says:

An actual developer that listens??? I am utterly flabberghasted!

• Starky says:

Indeed I posted in the beta, my suggestions got implemented within like a week.

6. Alexander Norris says:

I will doubtless never play it for more than half an hour, but the game itself was quite good and I just have to reward that sort of support.

7. Masert says:

“Players can compete against up to 7 opponents in multiplayer”
    Max number of players in multiplayer is only 8?
    This is the sole reason I’m not buying this… throw in 8vs8 and I’ll give you my money.

8. Sarlix says:

Oooo, I remember playing in the beta of this. I flew my plane straight into the side of a structure of some sort – flipping the plane upside down, doing 3 loop de loops, and crashing it into the ground. Not a very good first attempt :-( The controls were really sensitive, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a hoot.

9. Fumarole says:

Finally support for sticks and gamepads other than the 360 one? It’s about time. I’ll give it more of a chance this time and may make the purchase.

10. The Innocent says:

Alright, I’m sold. I’ve never tried the game, but if they’re being such gentlemen to the PC (and to RPS too!), then I’ll take the plunge. Installing right now.

11. bit_crusherrr says:

Im trying to play the demo online, but i cant connect to any servers… shame cos i really like the look of this :(

Anyone else having this problem?

• John Walker says:

Like I say above, there’s a bug with the demo code that will be patched out tonight. Although apparently if you wait long enough it may work.

• bit_crusherrr says:

Oh right, suppose I should of read the whole thing :p

12. Noxy says:

The servers actually support 16 players. The description is incorrect. :)

• DrGonzo says:

Well I’ve only managed to play against about 3 other people at a time so far but it is still good fun.

13. Starky says:

The beta was fun and I promised the Devs in their forum I would buy this (on PC and for Xbox live) if they let me turn off 360 vibration, they did and I Didn’t.

It’s not my fault I could not buy it right away due to being in the beta (they gave me a week free) and it launched during the insane steam summer sale, and my gaming budget wad got blown all over the place that fortnight.

So I’ll buy it now.

14. Polysynchronicity says:

Tried the demo, can’t say I had very much fun. After the Freelancer flight model, everything else just feels wrong. I think Altitude is more fun for my money.

Also, while trying to quit: Alt-F4 doesn’t quit immedately? :(

15. Waltorious says:

I was just trying the demo with my joystick because I like joysticks, but I found it a little hard to control. Also, my plane was drifting even when my stick was centered. Anyone know if there’s a way to adjust the deadzone? Does changing sensitivity do that? Also I immediately turned on the advanced flight model because I’m a nerd, would I have a better time with the simple model?

16. magemaster88 says:

Played it during beta and loved it.

got all the updates and the joystick works, joypad works keyboard works mouse works. I can toggle controls schemes all day long.

the matches support up to 16 players – I think 8 is recommended but 16 player support is definitely in there.

the developers have been listening to player input from the beta and have been putting the stuff in there nice going.

DF steam forum: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=911

17. Mad Max says:

I want Attack on Pearl Harbor MP! Now!