Graphically Slick: OilRush

By Jim Rossignol on September 2nd, 2010 at 6:02 pm.

OilRush looks interesting, although its website causes my browser to chug for some reason. It’s a naval strategy game from Unigine, who I believe were previously a tech company trying to sell their own middleware. They’re now developing this game based on a water-world of the future, in which ships and aircraft battle for control of a series of oilrigs. I take it from the mention of “the Tower Wars genre” that there’s an element of tower defence in there too. There’s a nifty trailer out for it, which I’ve posted below, which demonstrates Unigine’s ability to have quite a lot of aircraft blowing each other up at the same time. It’s planned for a release later this year, and is possibly worth keeping an eye on. (And yes. Oops on the timing.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Sam C. says:

Hmm, exploding oil rigs. I don’t know why some people might find that in poor taste…*

*As a disclaimer, I don’t really care, but I’m sure a pundit could easily make the link.

• PHeMoX says:

People should really stop wanting to compare every GAME to reality like that though. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It’s like complaining about the pollution caused in Lord of the Rings by the evil factories building the orc army and weaponry and so on.

Read my lips please man.

Makes. No. Sense.

It’s a virtual world, with virtual rules. It’s not like there haven’t been movies with oil rigs blowing up anyway and it’s not like people now think blowing oil rigs up somehow is a ‘good’ thing because of that. I’m sorry, but it’s too stupid.

• Sam C. says:

Hey, I’m with you. It was an off the cuff remark, I’d just seen an article on the most recent accident a few minutes before. It was a odd juxtaposition.

But as for the game itself, I’ll echo the concerns that it looks an awful lot like a tech demo, but according to their website, it will come with an SDK, and that’s always welcome.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

Who died in an oil spill made by BP?

Spongebob Squarepants!!!

2. Tony Hayward, CEO of BP says:

Too soon, bro.

• Dozer (who occasionally drives John's bus to town) says:

Too soon? Piper Alpha was twenty-two years ago, man, that’s in another age. Thatcher was King when Piper Alpha happened!

• SubterraneanRivers says:

Right

3. Rich says:

What exactly is explosive gameplay?

4. Kurt Lennon says:

A future world where the powers that be strategically destroy oil rigs? The future is now.

I wonder if they include the option to fool the public into believing it was all an accident.

5. Lord_Mordja says:

That is one pretty RTS,

6. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

Right.

7. Gaytard Fondue says:

Hey Frederik, how to you like your haircut?

8. Will Morris says:

9. Unaco says:

Probably not the best day to announce this… seen as it happened again!!.

What’s with the icebergs though? Are we still going to have them in the future? Is Ice the valuable resource the corporations are fighting over? The Russian Oligarchs need it for their Vodka, the American Fatcats need it for their Mint Juleps, and the British Aristocracy need it for their Pimms? Also… the ‘Various Environments’ doesn’t seem like a selling point to me… Various Environments, all of which are the Ocean. I’m probably missing something there, but…

• Unaco says:

Also… Dolphins? Will they still be around in the future? Will they still be sea based, or will they not have taken to the land to wage war against us?

And my linking failed… where I said “it happened again”, I meant to link to todays news and the most recent explosion. Maybe that’s just a publicity stunt.

• Flaringo says:

I hear they’re working on some new technology that will allow us to “freeze” water to turn it into ice. Maybe sometime in the future they’ll be success full, and it will save the icebergs from extinction!

10. Tei says:

The graphics looks great, and there’s a delicious mix of genres. But this is just a video, we need a demo :-D

11. NeonBlackJack says:

I’d love to blow up some oil rigs!

Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox

12. PHeMoX says:

I very much like this game. It does look a lot like a tech-demo, so I hope gameplay won’t suffer because of that.

13. jackflash says:

Ooh, it has various environments!

• espy says:

Much in the same way Clint Eastwood has two facial expressions: one with a hat, one without.

14. LionsPhil says:

Lists Linux. Does not list OS X.

Them’s strange priorities for someone trying to make money.

15. SleepyMatt says:

You’ld think if they just kept all those zillions of planes/copters/boats/subs at home and shut down the munitions factories, they probably wouldn’t need to fight over the oil in the first place…

That aside, looks fun!

16. k says:

That’s because they aren’t hedonistic dickheads.