Is The PC Still The Home Of The FPS?

By John Walker on September 21st, 2010 at 12:47 pm.

FIGHT!

We issue a formal RPS Yay to id’s Tim Willits, and a stern RPS Boo to Microsoft’s Kudo Tsunoda, with regard toward attitudes to the thriving PC gaming market. Tsunoda made the rather unsubstantiated claim to Game Informer a couple of days ago that “hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC any more.” Today Willits told Eurogamer that the PC was still the best place to play the FPS, saying, “In my opinion the PC will always be the core of the gaming industry – it is the timeless stable platform that as developers we will always be able to rely on.”

Tsunoda’s comments are peculiar, in the face of the popularity of everything from Team Fortress 2 to Modern Warfare 2, Counter-Strike to Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Left 4 Dead to ArmA 2. His logic is, apparently, that Halo was popular on the 360. Of course, games like MW2 sold massively better on the consoles, but MW2 is not equal to all FPS. Take a look at Steam’s stats to see the hundreds of thousands of people playing FPS games at any time.

Of course, Tsunoda’s comments need to be understood in context: he was hawking Kinect – an exclusive Microsoft Xbox 360 platform. As self-defeating as it may seem, Microsoft really do seem to see game promotion as the exclusive domain of the 360, with the PC left with the horror of Games For Windows Live, despite a near total platform dominance by the megacorp.

Willits’ comments, made to EG this morning, give a very different impression. id, of course, built their company on the PC, and were relatively late to embrace the consoles. And certainly, with people like John Carmack working for the company, they’re aware that the PC is always a significant technological step ahead of its plastic-boxed cousins.

“The PC is still a very viable platform for not only FPS games but also all other genres,” he told the site. “In my opinion the PC will always be the core of the gaming industry – it is the timeless stable platform that as developers we will always be able to rely on. Unlike consoles, the PC doesn’t disappear because one company decided it wasn’t profitable or decided to make a new version. The PC platform is always evolving but staying stable.”

There’s obviously no sensible argument to suggest that the analogue controls of a console – while now a very viable way to play and FPS – can match the mouse for accuracy. Willits agrees:

“The FPS genre is still great on the PC, the input controllers are very responsive, the keyboard allows many more choices and options, and the social networking of the PC allows you to reach out and play with your friends much easier than any of the consoles. Plus, as any hardcore FPS gamer will tell you, the mouse is still the best device for aiming.”

So how about you? There’s no question that the FPS has become an enormously popular format on the consoles, and certainly their market dominance on the PC is a thing of the past. As RPG and RTS dominate PC gaming, the 360 and PS3 certainly have claim for the FPS as their strongest sales. But does this equate to strongest performance? As the consoles reach the grand old age of five, the PC continues to take vast technological strides. Where do you prefer to play your FPS games? Does the precision of the mouse outmatch the simplicity of online gaming of the consoles? Or do you find the controller is now your preferred method of sniping?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. mrmud says:

kudo can go fuck himself

BAM! there it is!

• Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

I approve this message.

• Raum says:

Upgoat for “BAM!”

… wait, where the hell am I?

• Dalamar says:

I seriously doubt he is equipped to pull that off.

• BAReFOOt says:

Is the PC still the home of FPS? What kind of stupid, attention grabbing, false dichotomy inducing question is that? It’s the ONLY platform for FPS! Full stop. And until consoles become PCs on the outside too*, by getting what’s a MUST for a FPS – a mouse – , it’s gonna stay that way.

Serious gaming without a PC just is not possible. And if it is, it’s still as stupid as a tricycle with four-wheel drive, a water-tight sun dial, a washing machine with 12 normal and four reverse gears and bread in a can!

* They are already PCs on the inside: A generic CPU, some vector processing units, a hard drive, a removable drive, some I/O. It’s all there.

• Juror #9 says:

Holy crap BAReFOOT,

That was an incredible dichotomy you posted, I laughed my arse off. “Bread in a can”, “Tricycle with 4 wheel drive” “…4 reverse gears on a washing machine”…. fricken genious. All of which describe the idiotic thought of counsols trumping PC’s on FPS play, perfectly.

Kudos BAReFOOT

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

I guess I don’t know what you mean when you say that a mouse is required for serious gaming. If you mean for competitive gaming, you’re probably right, but for extended or enjoyable gaming it is not a requirement. I continue to enjoy playing all sorts of FPS games on the PC using a 360 controller, including TF2 and BF:BC2. And lots of games that aren’t shooters are more enjoyable with a controller. The beauty of the PC platform isn’t that you use a mouse, it’s that you get to use a mouse, a controller, or whatever input device you prefer.

• Hidden_7 says:

You play TF2 on a PC with a controller? Which classes do you play? I’m not judging, it’s just that, TF2 seems like such an old-school PC shooter that when I think about trying to play it with a controller I get a headache. Sniping, constantly checking your back for spies, trick stabs as a spy, distributing healing among a large group, fighting most things as a scout, tracking a scout as a pyro or a heavy, these are all things that would just seem like such a chore to me using a controller. Rocket jumping just seems impossible.

So yeah, really I’m just curious, how does it work out for you? What sort of roles / classes do you play?

• sexyresults says:

I bet he plays pyro

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

My preferred class is spy, followed closely by Engie, Medic, and, yes, Pyro. These classes do not require a huge amount of precise aiming and I am quite serviceable with several knife tricks. Am I as good on a controller as I am with K + M? No, probably not, but I’m still pretty good, and the controller provides me with a more comfortable experience.

2. Nick says:

Is that Nathan Barley on the left?

3. Gremmi says:

The reason MS don’t give a shit about the PC market is because they can’t control it to the same extent as the 360 one, so they can’t earn revenue simply by virtue of someone releasing a game they had nothing to do with.

• mandrill says:

This. Why do you think windows doesn’t really support OpenGL and DirectX dominates the PC games market? Its all about control.

• Malibu Stacey says:

It’s not Window’s place to support OpenGL, it’s the graphics card manufacturers job. For OpenGL to work all it needs is a properly written driver. This is no different to DirectX.

If you actually knew any history of games development you’d know that DirectX dominates the market at present as it evolved quicker than OpenGL because Microsoft were able to throw time & money at it. OpenGL, by virtue of being an open API standard, was hamstrung in this regard as GPU technology moved at a great pace during the last 15 years. Now that GPU tech is pretty much mature, OpenGL has had time to be updated to the point where it can compete on a level playing field with DirectX.

• BAReFOOt says:

@Stacey: How did it happen then, that OpenGL was so much slower in Vista, no matter the graphics card?
      It had nothing to do with the driver. It was Vista. And probably all that bus-DRM going on inside its rotten, disgustingly stinking core.

• DrGonzo says:

Because OpenGL isn’t very good and is in genreal slower than Directx.

• toro says:

Not really.

OpenGL was doing alot of “correct” rendering, that’s why it was and is still used massively in the CAD industry. On the other hand, DX is targeted for games, which means speed and a lot of hacks.

And the second reason is that Microsoft put a wrapper over the OpenGL in Vista and guess what: there is a speed penalty. There was also a miserable campaign from Microsoft, which initially “revoked” the support of OpenGL in Vista and they delayed the announcement of OpenGL support until the last moments before the Vista release.

Sorry for my engrish, but I’m tired.

• Salem5 says:

I get the feelin, that XBOX* is trying to kill of the PC. XNA and Games for Windows live could be more i.e.
      What that lunatic Kudo Tsunoda says doesn’t help either.

4. Rii says:

It’s no secret that consoles drive the FPS genre today, and the trend can be observed in the design of the games themselves. Twitch is out, situational awareness is out. The playing field is compressed vertically. UT/Q3-esque mechanics requiring the player to pirouette in middair are out. The games are moulded according to their control setups. There’s certainly no end of excellent FPS games which can be done on consoles, but you’ll never see something like Ricochet on there.

• Nick says:

I just wish we didn’t have to have gun models sticking out of our fucking ears. Thanks Valve for doing that with Left4Dead2 for no reason at all.

• Enekk says:

@Nick, I have no idea what you are saying. Please clarify.

• Nick says:

As in the hands holding the guns in an FPS coming out of the side of the screen at ear level in a weird and unnatural angle. It really annoys me. Its worse in some games where the guns are also so big they obscure a large portion of the right hand side of the screen or their muzzle flash goes over the crosshair because of their height.

Look at screenshots of L4D1 vs 2 and notice the difference in placement. I find it distracting and asthetically displeasing, not the worst cases being the pistols and the silanced submachine gun which look utterly stupid.

• Heliosicle says:

BFBC2 has this problem as well, the default FOV is about 50 degrees, meaning that your gun takes up 1/3 of the screen. Increasing the FOV to 75 means that the gun takes up a lot less space and the game is a lot more playable.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Yeah I hate how you can use the “Field of View” option to increase the FOV from 75 up to 90 in Source Engine 2009 games….
      oh wait.

• DrGonzo says:

I noticed absolutely no problem with Lef4dead and never noticed a difference in Left4Dead 2 other than that the weapon models and animations seemed a lot better. So if anything I would say the opposite to you.

• Nick says:

Please note FoV has no effect at all and is nothing to do with it.

There is also nothing wrong with the weapon models, it is their placement.

• Ganders says:

They added a console command to change the weapon model fov in l4d2 a few months ago. Should be ” cl_viewmodelfovsurvivor “

• Nick says:

would have been nice if they did it while I still played the game, but oh well.

5. sexyresults says:

Almost, but not as good, as Bobby Kotick saying there are no high quality indie developers left outside of bungie.

6. Rinox says:

I think anyone who has ever played a pure-blood shooter on a console with gamepad and then on a PC with mouse+keyboard knows that mouse+keyboard wins hands down. It’s so unbelievably clunky and imprecise to play shooters on a gamepad, ugh. No wonder they need aim assistance. It just sucks when you see shooters that were developed for console ported to PC and every weapon is absolutely impossible to aim precisely with without auto-aim. It’s becoming a stock feature (like wall-stickiness for cover). :-(

• Rinox says:

Also: it’s hard to take anything a silly man who wears huge sunglasses indoor all the time seriously.

• sexyresults says:

They look disturbingly similar to what I see a lot of girls wear around. We call them ranga bands around these parts.

• duncanthrax says:

Agreed.

Oversized sunglasses = Instant douchebag

• subedii says:

Hey now! You just hurt JC Denton’s feelings!

• Chaz says:

When I first started playing FPS games like Doom and Duke on my old 486 all I used to use were the keys. The cursor keys for moving about, space bar for fire etc, can’t remember the first FPS I started using a mouse with. Anyway all besides the point, being both a PC gamer and a console gamer I can definitely say that the mouse and key board is better, but that is not to say that using a pad is bad or unweildy.

The biggest thing I find that makes a difference is often not the controller but the game itself. Far Cry 2 on the 360 for instance was great, the controls felt natural and precise and there wasn’t too much in the way of auto aim, in fact you could just turn it off if you wanted to, which I did. As regards auto aim, I think you’ll find a lot of PC shooters have it as an option too, and has been a default on option in most FPS games for many many years, so it’s not just a there for consoles thing. Any how other games on the other hand might have a rather poor control setup, forcing you to tap the sticks in order to try get a precise aim on smaller targets. However I’ve experienced the same sort of problems in PC FPS games in the past, where you can’t quite get your aim point on the target where you want it, a little nudge on the mouse just moving the pointer just a little bit too much to the left or right.

At the end of the day, if a game has had it’s control scheme properly taylored for it’s specific platforms, then it shouldn’t really matter.

7. Pandaemonius says:

I suspect responses may be a bit biased towards PC on this site. Somehow.

The first and last time I tried an FPS on console (for more than a minute) was Goldeneye. By all accounts it was a great game at the time, but I just could not deal with the controls. I have been handed the controller for others since then, but gave up quickly for the same reasons.

Also, who edited this article? Did we need to read the first quotation from Willits twice?

• John Walker says:

I did. And yes you do. You barely pay any attention, and it’s the only way I can get through to you.

And the second time was in context, after pulling it for the opening, you giant fussy whingebag.

• Rich says:

You fool! You’ve invoked the wrath of The Walker. We will all burn for your blasphemy.

• Urael says:

Pandaemonius, from now on every time I see a comment from you I’m going to be thinking “Giant, fussy whingebag”. Perhaps you should change your name to spare us all the mental effort. :)

Sterling put-down, John!

• Pandaemonius says:

Ah good. Thanks for clearing that up. There I was, thinking it was senseless repetition. I suppose this is why you are the professional writer, whilst I am just a nitpicker in the peanut gallery.

Forgive me, oh magnificent Walker!

It is a good sentence. I’m glad I read it so much. Although that hyphen should really be a semicolon; Willits need to learn how to punctuate his speaking properly!

• SuperNashwan says:

The First Plague Of Walker is the Plague Of Tears and we shall all drown neath his salty judgement.

• Lilliput King says:

Senseless repetition? Senseless repetition?!

• Gunsmith AKA NanosuitNinja says:

I fucking love you guys.

now come clear this coffee off my keyboard.

8. Dominic White says:

This comments thread is going to be a massive stream of denial and elitism, so lets just get the facts out of the way before we go into paranoid meltdown mode, huh?

As much as I love my PC, and use it for most of my shooty-related gaming, the numbers do seem to favor consoles by a large margin. The other night, there were almost half a million people simultaneously online and playing Halo: Reach (myself being one of them), and that’s just a single major release on a single console.

Now the PS3 has the Move controller (which is arguably more fun than a mouse, even if it’s not QUITE as pinpoint accurate, it’s definitely a huge improvement over a gamepad), I may well migrate even more of my shootybangazap games to console-toys.

• poop says:

cool cya bye toodles

• Rinox says:

I don’t think it’s elitist or denial to say that FPS shooters (real ones, not on rail or with aiming assistance) play better with mouse+keyboard than on a gamepad.

I have an Xbox controller for my PC and use it for all sorts of sports games and action/platformers with a console inclination. They tend to be better than the PC controls for that. But FPS? Fuck no.

• sexyresults says:

IGN is thata way ——->

• The Hammer says:

I, er, don’t think anyone’s going to be arguing that FPSes ARE more popular on the console these days, Dom. That isn’t the argument at hand at all. But still, thanks for showing the middle finger to those hypothetical paranoid elitists! Keep that moral crusade against people who may or may not exist going!

• Rich says:

What if Halo: Reach were actually released on the PC, on the same day the Xbox 360?

• Dominic White says:

• sexyresults says:

Not so much the argument/point more the way you came across saying it.

• torchedEARTH says:

I find the mouse too precise after console gaming. It’s more akin to playing a point and click adventure.

My console controller feels more like holding a gun with a trigger.

I know the elitists will disagree.

Money is tight people, and because of that, the console will take over.

• poop says:

I have a natural compulsion to call people assholes when they call PC gamers elitist idiots who are Living In The Past who Just Cant Deal with how PC gaming is dieing sorry big dom

• Kazz says:

It wouldn’t sell very well and they would no doubt think that every PC gamer is actually playing it because we’re all filthy pirates.

• Kazz says:

Doh! was @ Rich

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Beta was the superior format but VHS won out. In the mid 90s Sony claiming VHS was the most popular way to watch home movies wouldn’t be lying. Claiming it was the best way would be a lie, but not pointing out it was more popular.

So in the same way the PC is better for FPS gaming but it isn’t the most popular.

@Dominic White: Your assertion about the Move making you favour the PS3 for FPSes makes you a rank fool good sir. Until console FPS multiplayer games force you to download sound files from Unreal Tournament and Warcraft 3 upon joining they just wont have the same ambience or enjoyability.

• Koozer says:

The cost argument never sits well with me. I only get a new PC every 3-4 years for around £600. The Xbox 360 is 5 years old, costs £300 and shows no signs of going anywhere for a while. My PC is roughly ten million times more powerful than my 360 and doesn’t cost me £10 a month for the privilege of multiplayer. Everything else is a matter of taste so I’ll leave it there.

• kupocake says:

It is undeniable that the numbers are there, (and anyone denying them is a fool) but Kudo was effectively saying people have deserted the PC FPS in favour of the consoles, leaving ‘no-one playing’. That market is as big and as profitable as it ever was, he’s just willing to admit that as soon as something even more lucrative appears…

• Rich says:

“It all boils down to buying a piece of kit for around 2-300 groats that will see you for the next 3-4 years, or 8-1200 groats that will need more money spent on it to get through those same 3-4 years. ”

Damn, I was going to jump on you then. I thought you were going for the “you need to spend 2-3 grand” argument, which was valid about 15 years ago.
      Still, the £1000 mark is a bit steep. I’m looking at cannibalising the few up to date parts of my machine and only spending about £5-600 to build a monster. Something you can’t do on a console I might add. If MS released an Xbox3 (720?) tomorrow, you’d be screwed.

• Nick says:

I think its your instant launching into cries of elitism when there wasn’t any is what caused the derision.

• Jake says:

I agree with torchedEARTH, I like the handicap of playing with a gamepad sometimes, it feels less like you are just clicking on heads and more like you are firing a gun. Although some games using pads can feel a bit floaty. I now pretty much decide on a case-by-case basis which feels more fun to play, for example I played all of Borderlands with pad despite it being harder to be accurate, it just felt more rewarding to me. Nowadays I only play on PC but once I was a dirty Halo player and grew to love the analogue stick headshot.

• Nathan says:

As someone thoroughly in love with PC FPSs, as well as the Playstation and Move, I really don’t think that Move offers any sort of renaissance in console FPS titles. Whilst I’ve not played the MAG Move patch, from experience with Shoot the Move feels much more like a lightgun with a navigation controller to make it less on-rails. I don’t think we’ll ever see, say, the next COD making serious use of it.

• The Hammer says:

“See, I even point out that I play most of my shooters on the PC, but the slightest suggestion that consoles might have any kind of advantage (even if it’s purely in terms of market saturation) gets nothing but derision.”

If you think that’s derision, look at your first comment. If you’re going to take the moral high ground before anyone’s even taken the low ground, then prepare to be shot down.

ANYWAY. Unfortunate comparison made by Mr Tsunoda, especially as, as others have said, Microsoft’s message about the PC is confused and unwieldy. If these are the words of someone towing the party line (and not casting aspersions on a platform he knows little about while advertising his own product) then this great MS-on-PC resurgence being promised is likely going to be confined to reviving old RTS and simulator titles, and official ports of hit Xbox games to PC, like Fable III.

• Skurmedel says:

I’ve played on both consoles and PC extensively, and I prefer PC. I can’t imagine TF2 playing like it does on PC on console. And many console-targeted FPS’ are very flat, not extremely, but CoD 4 for example was quite flat in multiplayer.

It’s not that it is unplayable, or even boring. Just not as good. If the consoles grew a mouse and a keyboard (you can on PS3 for example) then half the issue is gone. I mean, most FPS’ use autoaim in their console incarnations, not much but some.

The other issue being matchmaking, which is quite annoying as well. I seem to end up with a texan half the time and everything is very laggy.

• sexyresults says:

I love how he mocks all the potential commenters, insults them, proceeds to list the ‘facts’ that are pretty much his opinion. Oh and then comes back after we have a go at him to say ‘SEE TOLD YA’.

• poop says:

Dominic white will proudly defend even the stinkiest of trash from imagined elitists forever on internet forums if he likes it its just what he does

• DiamondDog says:

Congratulations Dom on a wonderful bit of trolling. Start of your argument with a pointless insult and then immediately go on the defensive.

Yes you’re right, you will get an angry reaction to wafer-thin arguments. Apart from numbers of players, what are those console advantages?

For what it’s worth I think PC gamers can get a little overly sensitive about this kind of stupid statement, noone should really give a shit what Kudo thinks.

• Dominic White says:

Allow me to rephrase, as I clearly came off giving the wrong impression.

‘Nobody plays FPS’s on the PC’ and ‘Kinect will ensure Microsoft control of the future’ are two bits of marketing bullshit that only a PR guy could come up with. However, to ignore both wholesale is folly, as there are greater truths beneath them.

The majority of FPS’s played ARE on consoles now, and this number is likely going to continue. Also, there are a new generation of hybrid motion/pointer controllers coming out that will do a lot to undermine mouse & keyboard as the one-and-only controller for FPS, RTS and other such usually PC-centric genres. This could well further erode PC market share, as the core argument that ‘PC games control better’ evaporates.

There’s still a large PC FPS/RTS scene, but unless something changes soon, it could well start seeing significant losses as more and more studios move over to consoles. And as someone who loves their mods and freedom to tweak the hell out of things, this would be a bad thing. I would like to see more multiplatform support, though, but unless it’s obvious that they’re profitable, it won’t happen.

• Skurmedel says:

I hardly see how Wii can be called an improvement over keyboard and mouse either. It’s much better than a gamepad but still quite clunky. Maybe a Move lightgun will be better…

• Dominic White says:

As I’ve said the Wii/Move controllers aren’t quite as fast and precise as a mouse, but they’re close, and are generally a lot more fun and tactile to use. The market is driven by what people buy, and the days of hyper-twitchy arena shooters like Quake 3 that relied on high-DPI mice are long gone.

• bob_d says:

@Dominic White: I doubt the Move and Kinect are going to undermine much of anything. All the consoles have motion-based controllers now, but they’re all different from each other. Given that AAA console games are generally so expensive that the user base for each console usually isn’t big enough to support those games (thus multi-platform releases), there’s no incentive to make a game tied into one particular motion controller. So what we’re likely to see is Wii-level (low-graphics, lower-budget) games being released on each platform (many of which are based on simple gimmicks), or multi-platform games with half-hearted support for each motion controller bodged in. What you’re not going to see are games that utilize all the potential of any of the motion-controllers by integrating them into the core gameplay in meaningful ways. In other words, the keyboard & mouse and traditional game controller will still hold sway due to the virtue of their universality.

• Clovis says:

Why when motion controls get added to a console do you always end up with FPSs being handled as “light gun” games?? I guess it seems natural, but wouldn’t it better to just treat the motion controller as a mouse? If Move is really accurate, then this should work. You don’t normally “aim the gun” in an FPS, you aim your head while the character aims the gun in the direction you are looking. I found using a crosshair on the screen to be pretty fiddly. Why not just move the camera when I move my, err, Move? Shouldn’t that work?* It also solve the “how do I move my character now? How do I turn my head” problems. Pointing at the edge of the screen is awful.

Anyway, with good enough motion controllers you should be able to get almost exactly the same accuracy as a mouse if they handle it like this. In fact, you might even get equal accuracy if you’re willing to move your had over a wider area since you don’t have to keep it on a table.

* Oh, you’d need a way to “pick up your mouse” though to turn fully. I guess you’d have to hold a button.

• UW says:

“Money is tight people, and because of that, the console will take over.”

That seems like false economy to me.

First of all, the hardware that games demand has not be going up as steeply as it used to (Probably due to the fact that consoles are a bigger industry now), so a gaming computer will last for a decent amount of time. The computer I currently use was about £800 when I built it and still plays pretty much all games on nearly the highest settings. Even if in a year or two I start having to turn things down to medium, it’ll probably still look better than whatever the consoles are offering.

Secondly, PC games tend to be a lot cheaper. DLC and updates are quite often free or a lot less money than on consoles, and there aren’t any ongoing fees to worry about.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, people buy computers ALL THE TIME and don’t play games on them. They might buy a computer that’s “good spec” but not really know why, and end up just using it for Facebook, then go into the other room and play on their XBox. They have capable hardware but just aren’t making the most of it.

Almost everyone has a computer of some sort and I hear people talking about upgrading or buying a new one constantly just because it’s running a bit slow. They’re already willing to pay enough to get a respectable gaming machine as it is, so why not buy it with the intention of gaming?

To me the idea that PC gaming is too expensive and that getting a machine powerful enough to game on costs huge amounts of money is quickly becoming a fallacy. Most people have computers and spend a lot of money on them as it is, and let’s not forget that a computer isn’t just for playing games on anyway. I for one was always going to have a PC, might as well spend a little bit more time and money and make it capable of playing games as well.

The £300 vs. £800 argument just doesn’t fly with me anymore at all. If you ask anyone buying a PC whether six or seven hundred pounds is unreasonable or out of their price range, most people will say no. If they go out and buy a console as well, they’ve already spend nearly a grand when they could have bumped up their spec a little bit and got a gaming platform for what is ultimately less money.

• UW says:

I should mention I bought this £800 PC in 2007, otherwise there isn’t really much context there…

9. Richard Beer says:

I just bought Halo Reach on the 360, but only because my PC is packed away in storage for various boring reasons. I honestly do not think I’ll ever be comfortable with a gamepad for an FPS title after having been raised on Doom, Quake, Counter-Strike etc. The potential for agility and accuracy just isn’t there.

10. Archonsod says:

If it wasn’t for DirectX I suspect Microsoft’s dominance on the home PC would be ripe for a challenge. Just come up with an OS dedicated to gaming which can translate the DirectX calls efficiently and bam …

• Tei says:

DirectX was created not to help PC games, but to stop people from use standards like OpenGL that make games automatically multiplatform. With DirectX microsoft achieved one thing: stop games from running in all platforms but his.

Almost all game dev’s are in love with DirectX, and is not reasonable to expect this change in 15 years. Hell… Microsoft can start asking money for using DX, and the game devs will start paying it. *hint* *hint* *hint*

• Drexer says:

Actually DirectX is a necessity for Microsoft to hold its grounds. even now(as it has been seen from the Valve ports) OpenGL easily achieves most of the graphical prowess of DirectX. DirectX is the golden chain that Microsoft uses to tie gamers to Windows, and if they stopped supporting it they would find themselves at quite a loss very rapidly.

• Rich says:

Thank you Valve for breaking away from Direct X reliance.

• Baboonanza says:

To be fair, ever since about version 7 DirectX has been a VASTLY superior platform for game development than OpenGL. Partly this is because it’s more used and thus gets better driver support, but even taking that into account it still offers more and better feature support.

• Mithrandir0x says:

I think you’re quite misleaded as how OpenGL operates, Baboonanza.

Please, start by looking at these:

Then find some other posts from the same blog extending this matter.

• tanith says:

@Baboonanza
      Uh, care to elaborate, please?
      If I’m not mistaken OpenGL 4.2 should be en par with DirectX11.

From personal experience the people I spoke to said that they found OpenGL easier to program for than DirectX.

11. AndrewC says:

Mouse movement isn’t aiming – it’s just pointing. Controllers are too sluggish, with games having to be designed around their limitations.

It is obvious that the very best FPS control scheme is the sadly maligned light gun, with movement controlled with a joystick up your bum.

• Dominic White says:

Lightgun + joystick, you say? That’s pretty much the Wii Remote + Nunchuck or PS3 Move + Nav. You point lightgun-style to aim with one hand, and have an analogue stick with a set of buttons on the other.

And y’know what? I like it much more than mouse/keyboard. It’s still not quite as crazy-snappy in terms of movement, but actually scoring a perfect headshot feels more ‘real’ when you’ve got your arm outstretched and your hand trembling.

• AndrewC says:

I’m always *this* close to buying a Wii, but would like them to make a few more games for it. I’m quite happy for the baddies to be fluffy ducks and things just, you know, not a party game please.

The PS3 has a increasing number of odd, left-field and ‘indie’ games. It’s quite the sexy platform.

• Dominic White says:

Oh, and for the record, before anyone asks why I’m shilling for Microsoft or somesuch, I think the Kinect looks pretty terrible from the demos they’ve showed so far – its functionality as a game controller is VERY questionable. Until some solid major releases support it, and well, I’ll remain unconvinced.

Nintendo and Sony seem to have nailed the motion-controller stuff, though.

• EthZee says:

See, I’d agree with this. I do love the light-gun + analogue control scheme. Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was a revelation, truly fun to play.

That said, obviously for accuracy’s sake the mouse wins out. But using the light gun is fun.

BTW, I didn’t realise that they were patching Move support in for MAG? I never bought that game but now it’s looking quite tempting.

• Azradesh says:

The thing with using a Lightgun/Move/Wiimote to play FPSs is that it’s just far more tiring. The M+K combo gives you the accuracy along with a place to rest your arms. (If your desk is a nice size)

• Dominic White says:

I’ve found an arm-rest on a sofa is more than enough. You don’t have to wave either controller about – you just point by turning your wrist.

• AndrewC says:

You’re not doing much for the stereotype of pc gamers as being a touch…unfit. Both of you.

If i had motion control i’d fill my room with bean bags and leap about singing the A Team tune. I couldn’t play for hours on end but, you know, who’d care?

• Muzman says:

Fellas, don’t misquote the man. You’re missing the essential ingredient. It’s not “Lightgun;Joystick” it’s “Lightgun;Joystick;Arsehole” (Which I think is what the Alpha version of RPS was called)

• Carolina says:

@ AndrewC

I never tried playing with a controller in my ass, but having the Wii, the 360 and the PS3, I still find the WASD + Mouse combo way more comfortable for playing FPS games.

By the way, I’d avise you against buying a Wii if you don’t like party games. There is hardy anyhing worthwhile on the Wii besides that.

And about the PS3, personally, I think it’s a horrible piece of hardware. Long installs required without any noticeable advantage —in fact, most multiplatform games look better on the 360—, a seriously week GPU, and the most uncomfortable joysticks on the market. I’m holding onto it only because I have high hopes for The Last Guardian.

Sure, you have Uncharted 2. That’s a good game. But God of War 3, MGS4 and Heavy Rain are way overrated in my opinion.

12. Cooper says:

Re: Microsoft. They do support games through things like DirectX (wthout which I think many gamers would have already switched away from Windows)

But they’re bloody useless at pushing Windows as a games platform – given that it’s the most varied, most used and most owned base for playing games on, you’d think they’d have gone for it.

But then again, with their near Monopoly, they just don’t need to. Hopefully other games will go the way of 40K and they’ll realise they can’t get away with the shoddiness of GfWL

13. Koozer says:

Hilarious EG comment of the day: console controllers are more realistic than a keyboard and mouse. If I saw someone genuinely moving how your character does using a controller I’d assume they had some kind of motor neuron disease, what with the jerky movements pointing them in a vague estimation of where they want to look.

On the other hand, I’d be quite worried if I saw someone able to spin round five times a second on the spot, and only have two speeds of movement in eight directions.

• Simon Dufour says:

HAHA.. exactly that. I remember reading that Microsoft did a test to allow multiplayer between PC and XBox at some point. They abandonned the idea because it seems it was totally unfair. I don’t know if RPS published the article… I just searched on google for it.

• Malibu Stacey says:

Have you seen how dumbed down the control systems for cross platform games are from the PC to the console. VALVe games show it most since they’re PC first & console second. Go watch the trailers for “The Passing” DLC for L4D2 linked elsewhere on this here site. The ones recorded on XBOX 360 are very obvious. The console controllers need developer coded assistance just to be able to play the game to any basic level where as the PC the game is easy even on Advanced (Expert is a bit of a challenge in some maps) due to being able to aim & move simultaneously.

14. Urael says:

Can we really claim the PC to be more stable than the consoles, taking GFX upgrades and successive OS and DirectX iterations into account? Not to mention the enormous array of hardware variations, all broadly similar but not 100%? How many games pre-2000 (The year, not the OS) still work in Windows 7 without programming assistance/tweaking with compatibility modes/emulation?

The MS nugget is clearly pursuing an agenda so can immediately be discounted (or reported to the PC Games Alliance, lol) but personally I prefer my FPS-ing on the PC. You tend not to get all the programming ‘help’ that console FPS’s provide to players to make up for the deficiency of the controllers, making for a more raw experience. If you didn’t shoot the guy it’s because you failed to aim the shot correctly, not because the auto-aim calculated that shot in his general direction wasn’t going to hit him.

Play S.T.A.L.K.E.R on a console? Oh god, no. I did have fun with Doom on the PS1, however. The shoulder button-strafe worked a treat and it helped not having to aim up or down.

• Bob Bobson says:

More stable, from a developer’s business model point of view. Someday, possibly fairly soon, this generation of consoles will be obsolete. Games made for them will be obsolete (at least as far as retailer are concerned). But the PC will chug along in the background, nice, stable and evolving in a very slow and stately fashion.

This is not the same as stable for the gamer whose graphics card interferes with the latest sound driver to create a race condition whenever an imp dies while obscured by the cursor.

• markcocjin says:

Yes the PC is more stable. Console gamers think in the sense that their games will definitely play on their console. Yes that is true. But does their Halo 1 play on their XBox 360? Can Windows 7 play the original Doom?

Your console is only stable for at least 5 years. When you break your obsolete console, who are you going to get to repair it? Where are you getting the parts? What if Microsoft stops supporting your Halo 2 multiplayer? Oh yeah right because most console kids have just started to play games.

15. Heliocentric says:

Lego Batman Arkham Asylum and GTA4 both taught me that in a single player game controller agnostism is a lovely thing.

But in a multiplayer game? Games need to be tuned with a controller expectation.

Unless its turn based, then you can go hog wild.

16. bansama says:

Kudo was hawking that Kinnect system at the Tokyo Game Show was he not? So it’s no surprise that he’s making wild claims like that. Microsoft, like almost all of the large publishers in Japan (and certainly all the console makers) like to pretend that the PC does not exist.

For Microsoft this is doubly important as they are finding it almost impossible to be taken seriously here anyhow, so they really don’t want people realising that PC gaming is thriving in any genre, let alone one that really fits the PC better than any console system currently out there.

Thus I expect, had he been hawking this new novelty device of there’s at any other game show, this comment would not have been made.

• Jetsetlemming says:

“Nobody really plays porn games on the PC anymore” – Microsoft, at the announcement of their new 360-exclusive dating sim

17. andytizer says:

Since Halo on the Xbox, the mainstream FPS has moved to the console. This is because the couch is a way more comfortable place to play games than at the desk. However most people don’t realize that you can play PC FPS games on your TV from your couch very comfortably.

• Dominic White says:

I traded in my desk for a comfy sofa quite some time ago. HDTV-as-monitor + wireless mouse/keyboard is perfectly acceptable.

• andytizer says:

Yes, piping your PC to the sofa is definitely one of the little known advantages of PC gaming.

Once you compare the Xbox 360 and PC versions of Mass Effect 2 or MW2 on the same TV there is no contest as to which one is better.

• StingingVelvet says:

Maybe it’s because I don’t work in an office, but I never understood this comment. I have a really comfortable office chair and am very comfortable playing games at my desk. Plus I have great headphones and a room to myself, which helps with getting immersed in the game.

• Huggster says:

Its not even that – if you have a family, a “computer room” or “study” is a cave to escape to where you can play Amnesia: Dark Descent.
      The lounge with 37″ plasma is for watching shows with family and socialising, not playing Red Dead on ans Xbox whilst my wife and stepdaughter bore a hole in the side of my head because they want to watch Sex and the City.

• Urthman says:

I can understand kicking back on the couch for a third-person game, but for a first-person game, sitting up close to the monitor is so much more immersive. It makes you feel like you have more peripheral vision.

It’s like the difference looking out the windshield of a car from the front seat instead of the back seat.

18. rocketman71 says:

I can only say that Kudo Tsunoda looks like Risto Mejide. That’s a big insult. And a deserved one.

19. RobH says:

The only place I’d ever play a FPS is on the PC, because it’s just SO much better there.

20. Tei says:

Wen I look to a console FPS screen, I feel I have to puke.

I don’t know if is the low framerate (30 FPS) combined with the excess of use of blur + DoF + Bloom, the tasteless gameplay, or the really small levels to cope with almost nil RAM capacity of a console.

Please, look at this, and tell me this looks “good”

Maybe consoles are popular, but is the “fast food” option.

• Cael says:

You hit almost everything here. The only thing I would add to this is the ultra low FOV that the console generation pioneered for increasing framerates. Playing a FPS with 60/70 FOV actually makes me feel physically uneasy.

21. jalf says:

@Urael: I can run 20 year old games on my PC. So yes, it is stable. Some require tweaking, or Dosbox or the like, *and so what*? It is possible to play old games on a PC. Good luck trying to get your NES game to run on your Wii.

But even if I couldn’t run pre-2000 games on my PC at all, it’d *still* be stable. Changes happen, yes, but unlike on a console, they’re smooth. At any given year, a PC is able to play games from the last 5 years or so. It is never abruptly reset, like consoles are every generation. The PC is one long gradual progression, which does give developers a lot of stability. Any time you release a PC game, you can be sure it’ll be playable for several years. If you release a console game, it’ll only be playable until the console is replaced by the next generation, which could happen a month later.

Ah, because Windows does so inefficiently?

I love the good old “if only there was a gaming OS” cliche, because it’s so uninformed and, well, wrong.
    It’s not like Windows magically eats up 60% of your hardware resources in order to do things you don’t need.

It does eat up *some* resources, yes, to provide important services that the game you’re running needs. A “gaming OS” would have to do the exact same thing. The DirectX calls *are* translated efficiently. DirectX and your GPU driver take care of that together. It isn’t rerouted through MS Office or something as you seem to imply. Windows doesn’t insert a lot of cruft with the sole purpose of slowing things down, believe it or not.

• rxtx says:

Your argument doesn’t make any sense. If I buy a console I’m guaranteed to be able to play games from within a 5 year timeframe, which can be either side of the time I buy it. If I buy it at the start of its lifetime I get 5 years going forwards, if I buy it at the end I get 5 years going back. If I buy it in the middle I get 2.5 years either side. Its exactly the same, except that the console won’t need upgrading halfway through its life.

You also blatantly ignore that lots of consoles have backwards compatibility

• Starky says:

I still have my MegaDrive (Genesis for you yanks) it works…
      I don’t need to patch, or mod, or work around I just plug those plastic thingies in and they work.

Ironically though I don’t – I play all my Sega games emulated on my PC also…

Hell that is a good point actually – the PC is by far the most stable platform, because the PC can play ALL other platforms emulated too – eventually.

• Dominic White says:

Irony: I can run 10-year-old console games on my PC, but many 10-year-old PC games are just plain incompatible.

22. nine says:

I understand we are a PC gaming site here, but do we really “boo” people for telling unpopular truths? You quote BF:BC2 as one of your examples, but remember the PC had 33% of the market. Sure it’s equal with one of the consoles, but only half their total size.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Kudo: “hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC any more.”

I think that’s worth calling out whatever the allegiance of the site. It’s nonsense.

• Rich says:

Damn straight.

Kudo might have said “hardly anyone plays first person shooters on the PC any more.” but what he meant was “hardly anyone plays our most successful first person shooters, all but two of which are exclusive to our console, on the PC any more… so give us money.”

23. poop says:

starting a pc vs console thread so idiots who never post outside of shit like this can pile in and post tiresome shit that was boring in 1999?

shame on you, RPS

• Jim Rossignol says:

Your mum was boring in 1999.

Also, if MS want to keep spouting gibberish, why not point it out?

• poop says:

in a perfect world no one would care what some sunglasses clad spokesman douche has to think about a product he is being paid to spruik.

the rest of this site is rad though gw duder :)

• poop says:

also every time someone uses a word like elitist in a flamewar without a hint of irony i gain an overwhelming desire to throw myself out a window

• Malibu Stacey says:

Punctuation and capitalization go a long way. Also writing posts like you thought about them for more than the 5 seconds it took to hammer them out onto the keyboard might cut down on the repeated “replying to your own posts syndrome”.

With a name like poop I shouldn’t expect much though should I.

24. moosh07 says:

I would say PCs (or more to the point, using a mouse) are better for aiming, and consoles are better for getting nippy and better gfx without spending a fortune keeping your PC in with teh best hardware.

That said, the likes of Kinect and Move may address the mouse aiming issue – I’ll wait till Killzone3 is out and see if the Move solves that one.

• StingingVelvet says:

I tried Metroid and Call of Duty on the Wii and it was freaking terrible, not the same as a mouse at all. If the Move is massively better somehow I haven’t heard about it.

• mandrill says:

The Wii, even though it was the starter of the motion control bandwagon. was never going to be the best. Never once was it claimed that it provided 1 to 1 translaltion of your movements to the character on the screen, the technology was nowhere near accurate enough for that. Kinect is just the same. good for an out of game UI but no where near competent enough to provide the kind of immersion that people seemed to expect from the Wii.

The Move is by far the most promising of the three motion control systems, using as it does accelerometers, gyros and camera tracking. rather than just 1 of the three.

25. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Urael: Done. Pandaemonius was a good handle, though…

26. StingingVelvet says:

What Kudo is really saying is that the “cool kids play shooters on Xbox,” which an empty and meaningless statement to me as I stopped caring what the cool kids did when I was 16.

27. Fourth Man says:

I’ve played shooters on both PC and console for many years and the best ones are those that embrace the platform they are created for. Stalker on console – forget it. Halo on PC – forget it.

The mouse is more precise than the joystick for looking and aiming, no question about that, but the movement is far more controllable and exploration of a space feels more natural using a joystick to direct movement rather than tippetty-tapping keys to shuffle into line and sliding sideways everywhere at top speed. So maybe some kind of joystick for movement plus a few button and maybe tilt controls, and a mouse for the other hand…

That said, the more familiar you are with an fps control system, the more your moves will fall within your expectations and judgment. And will look like magic to anyone watching who is not feeling incredibly nauseous at that point.

• Rinox says:

I personally am still convinced that a mouse works better for a FPS but other than that: nice and very level-headed post. Very true.

• Rich says:

Halo1 on PC was pretty good. Being able to mod the sniper rifle to fire tank shells and warthog MG to fire the seeking plasma pistol charged shot was undeniably funtabulous.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I played Halo on the PC. It was pretty fun singleplayer & multiplayer. Never got the second one as I don’t agree with Microsoft’s refusal to update DirectX on pre-Vista systems from 9.0c.

How about Microsoft bring the latest Halo to the PC, enable cross-platform multiplayer & we’ll see how well the console players do against the PC gamers. My bet, flawless victory for the PC gamers.

• perilisk says:

Yeah, they need to make a mouse with a thumbstick on the side for analog movement.

28. JohnnyMaverik says:

Microsoft are just jealous that Valve stole the PC from under their noses, and Valve make mostly FPS’ so… yea, nobody plays FPS’ on PC Kudo, w/e makes you feel better.

29. Fergus says:

I’ve grown up with PCs, but I always wanted a lovely shiny Playstation or Xbox as a kid. Wasn’t until about 3 years ago that, via my brother getting splashy with the cash from his new job, I sat down to play BioShock on the 360.

I quit after about 30 minutes. I’m sure if I’d stuck it out I could maybe have done better, but the experience of not being able to simply point where I wanted to aim and instead using the guesswork of a joystick was beyond frustrating for me. It’s like playing with a mouse that sticks (in the days before infrared mice); you want to be fighting against the enemy, not your own control system.

That’s why the FPS will always be better on a PC. I don’t think even the majority of console gamers could disagree on that. And let’s not go into when I tried playing Sensible Soccer on XBLA. *shudder*

• [POo [POo says:

I actually enjoyed Bioshock much more on the 360 controller than the mouse & keyboard setup, although this is the only case of it happening with a FPS for me.

30. Redford says:

I believe this man is coming from the same angle as Sony, where upon the reveal of the 3DS, they stated that they had no reason to believe that people would want a handheld which would emulate 3D without wearing special glasses.

Which is to say he knows he’s still beat but he has to keep up his image for PR.

• Chaz says:

Absolutely, it’s just obvious PR guff. Most of the big game company execs do it though, and why not? It gets them nice juicy headlines and generates 300+ comments threads. Even if you don’t agree with what they’re saying, it gets you talking about their products generating more awareness for them, job done.

31. Clavus says:

This reminded me of the cross-platform gaming tests they did once, and the reason cross platform was killed: even mediocre skilled PC gamers could beat the best console players because their controls were so much more accurate.

I recently bought a PS3 and as much as I enjoy the games on there, I also feel that the controls are less intuitive and responsive than on the PC. Also chatting during multiplayer is practically impossible without losing at least 20 seconds.

32. The Hammer says:

Actually, while I was writing my last comment, I was thinking: how many first-person shooters did Microsoft make for the PC, back in the day? I can think of only Halo, which was a third-party port anyway. Did they develop/publish many more?

33. Huggster says:

Actually RSI is a valid point. I must admit I did kick back and play Batman AA and a bit of Just Casue 2 on pad you rest my poor ikkle arms.
    I did find the pad annoying though, even after completing Batman AA.

34. Okami says:

I’m a huge Halo fanboy and think that Reach is one of the best videogames ever made. But that doesn’t change the fact that this Kudo guy is full of bulldung. Left 4 Dead on the PC is vastly superior to it’s 360 pendant and while it’s true that mainstream FPS sell better on consoles, true innovation in this genre is only beeing done on PC – as much as I love Halo (have I told you about how good Reach is? Reach is awesome) it’s anything but innovative.

• The Hammer says:

The Reach (Remember Reach) adverts make me sentimental for a game series I haven’t even played any games of all the way through. I’ve never owned a Halo game, but man!

35. kororas says:

the xbox is a fucking pc.

there i said it.

36. RGS says:

PC all the way!

37. StingingVelvet says:

Designed for it or not when I play shooters on a pad it feels like the game is playing itself. The worst is the new trend of the aim button snapping the target to the enemy… what is the point of playing the game? I just don’t get it I guess.

38. Starky says:

I still want a keyboard with a analogue WASD – then I will be happy.

That is the one and only thing controllers have over a keyboard & mouse.

39. andytizer says:

You are right huggster I hadn’t even thought of that :D. Time to get a vasectomy so I don’t have to give up my precious PC gaming TV to screaming women!

• Huggster says:

Vasectomy or no vasectomy – it did not help me!
      You just have to give in, your life is easier in the long run. Just build a home cinema in the garage or shed!

• Rinox says:

Couldn’t you just try and go for sons?

I mean, I wouldn’t exactly let them play Amnesia at 10 but at least you won’t be hearing that Sex and the City drivel ;-)

(coming from a family of 4 brothers and no sisters and a very lonely mother at times)

40. Starky says:

For some games I use both.

Like GTA 4, using a 360 wired controller for druving/flying and most shooting, but switching to M&K when I need to be able to aim.

For some FPS games I do it also, ARMA 2 did it very well controller for driving and M&K for shooting.
    I actually tried doing controller in my left hand instead of WASD and mouse aim… It actually worked quite well.

I was seriously thinking about getting a Arcade controller (like street fighter 4) just so I could use the stick instead of WASD and keep the mouse.

41. Skystrider says:

I have tried to play FPS games with gamepads and… I just can’t do it! I need my mouse, I need my keyboard, I need my headshots, I need my mods. And I don’t need no stinkin’ autoaim!

I can’t for the life of me understand why FPS games have gotten so popular on consoles. To me, it has always been a genre that have excelled on PC alone. But that’s me.

42. Koozer says:

I get terrible pains in my thumbs after playing with a controller for a few hours, but I’m fine at a PC. It just manifests itself more when using the controls you’ve used the most in the past. Therefore, if you prefer the PC you should play on consoles for the good of your health and vice versa. My logic is flawless.

43. Koozer says:

PS. my index fingers can ache too. I blame that Sandshrew minigame in Pokemon Stadium.

44. Duoae says:

Honestly PC vs Consoles is a stupid argument.

Firstly because as long as the game is tailored/designed to work with the respective control scheme then it doesn’t matter what platform or control scheme the game is using. The problem originates when a game is poorly ported and the controls do not work as smoothly as if the game were designed with them specifically in mind (also see in-game menus and “press X” commands in user interface in PC ports).

Secondly, as has been found many times by developers who tried to work out cross-platform competition in FPSes (and stated in interviews by those same developers), the mouse provides too much of a accuracy advantage when compared to twin sticks with and without “sticky” aiming. The keyboard is inferior to an analogue stick but this is compensated by the versatility of the angles provided by corrective movement via the mouse.

If the games on Kinect have well-designed interfaces and controls (and presumably that the kinect itself works reliably compared to the Wii design – which i’ve found to be the case when using it) then it won’t matter about PC or normal console controls…. there’s just no point in comparing them. The problem lies in the possibility of their games not working well with the technology.

• Duoae says:

One thing i would add to what i said and in the context of this whole thing is that fewer FPSes appear to be released on PC these days – there’s a lot more focus on different types of gaming. Even then, if a game is ported to PC it tends to be later than the console release date meaning that any potential buyers will be reduced because they wish to play the game when it is new – regardless of the platform.

These two reasons would reduce the playerbase and count towards Kudo’s statement.

45. disperse says:

@Kobzon

[When using a gamepad] you don’t get no RSIs [sic]

Leaving aside the double-negative, this is simply untrue. RSI is caused by repetitive motions, whether those motions are on mouse and keyboard or on a gamepad. Ask any hardcore console gamer about “gamer’s thumb”. Any time you repeat the same action over and over again for hours, you are risking a repetitive strain injury. However, I agree that the mouse is an ergonomic disaster.

46. disperse says:

Actually, this is a good argument for switching up your gaming peripheral. Mouse and keyboard on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, gamepad on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and Sunday is for the Wii.

47. Tei says:

He as a point, anyway. You can play 2 hours a game with the keyboard (say a MMO) and wen your hand get tired, play another 2 hours with a pad. Since is different movements patterns, maybe will help the hand.

48. oceanclub says:

“Kudo Tsunoda”

Who?

I just Googled him. I want those 20 seconds back.

P.

49. F4T C4T says:

As someone who entered the world of gaming through the PC via Quake and Unreal Tournament, I must admit that most of my online FPS fun comes from my 360 nowadays. A mouse may be a better aiming device but the fact is that most of my gaming mates left their PC’s behind in favour of the 360 a while back.

Having said that, I still prefer single player experiences like Stalker on the PC. I can’t imagine I’d enjoy that experience as much on the couch.

50. oceanclub says:

I am amused that three Google suggestions when you begin to type his name are:

“Kudo Tsunoda sunglasses”