“War Ain’t No Game, Son.”

By Jim Rossignol on October 8th, 2010 at 5:39 pm.

Except when it is! And especially when we get some BFBC2: Vietnam footage via the international eye of GameTrailers, a sinister eye which is currently floating silently at the shoulders of NYCC attendees and beaming back these pictures. That’s the New York Comic Convention, of course. They don’t just talk comics these days, no sir. And bless their juxtapositions of words and pictures, our undead editor Kieron Gillen is out there being stalked by X-Men fans as I write these soon-to-be-forgotten words. I bet he hasn’t played any Battlefield. He’s rubbish at FPS games. There. I said it.

Anyway, look at this! More footage of Vietnam, and more people being ended by tanks and helicopters. Ugh, I am going to end up playing a hundred hours of that without blinking. I should probably blink more often.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. wazups2x says:

So this is a standalone expansion, like Special Forces for Battlefield 2?

2. Altemore says:

No controversy for being able to play as VC? Boo.

• coldwave says:

They actually call them Vietcong nut it’s NVA ingame.

Smart, eh?

• Lord_Mordja says:

Accurate too! Given that it doesn’t look like asymmetrical warfare going on there.

3. coldwave says:

Guy can’t hit anything with that x-box gamepad.

• monkeybreadman says:

And sounds lie a moron, why is it that people that give these talks always sound like they’ve just been pulled off the street?

4. Logan_Jennings says:

Wonder how you can have a Vietnam game with out Prone…

• Alex McLarty says:

Ha, so damned true.

DICE have gimped the Battlefield series. Little communication, smaller squads, incredibly high pings on all servers and no balance between classes.

Roll on BF3, but look to the past DICE to BF2 and 2142!

• wazups2x says:

@Alex McLarty

Yep, the Bad Company spin offs are nothing like the true PC Battlefield games.

How I think Battlefield 3 should be is they take the gameplay of Battlefield 2 and throw it in the Frostbite 2 engine. Now that would be a true great game.

• Soulless One says:

@Alex

I actually liked 2142, but that is possibly because I am a sucker for walkers and hover tanks.

5. Navagon says:

Still no sign of battle mopeds? Then it’s not fit to be called a remake.

6. Furybrood says:

Is this one of the game devs? Terribly noobish.

7. PureUncut says:

I’m finding it hard to write a comment that doesn’t sound negative and moany, I’m trying not to be.

I like BC2 and I’m looking forward to vietnam. I hope they capture some of the essence of the era and the original game, although from the footage it does look like a reskin with no real new interesting features.

That doesn’t mean I won’t be playing it to death though.

• Davee says:

But I am feeling moany however. ;)
      It seems to have less content than BC2 and no new notable features other than the music player (which original BFV had too, plus so much more fun stuff). It does feel a lot like ‘just a reskin’.
      Not terribly impressed myself. It just won’t be the same without flying napalm bombers and my favourite vehicle-lifting capable Huey! It’s currently a no-buy for me unless they manage to persuade me later on :p
      Come on, DICE – you can do better!

• PureUncut says:

If I’d have written that It would have sounded bitter and angsty, but yours didn’t.

HOW YOU DO THAT?

• DJ Phantoon says:

Fuckin’ MAAAAAGIC!!

*throws handful of glitter at your face*

• Balhazer says:

I love this site, great news, but the reply post steal the show… owned!

• Froibo says:

Love BC2 but can’t help but feel disappointed by it. They are basically selling us a 50$ map pack seems how they refused to give any good updates in the original game.

8. ChaK_ says:

They got my money for BC2 but they won’t have it for vietnam.

I felt ripped with the original one, being laughed at with the “map packs” and constant promotion for medal of honor when they should have clearly supported and patched battlefield.

I don’t approve, and don’t buy.

9. Lilliput King says:

The first video is laughably terrible.

10. substance says:

Is there not a single new feature? What’s keeping this from being a re-skinned BC2?

• The Innocent says:

He pointed out the new feature: playing music from your vehicles, so the enemy can better hear you coming and lay traps.

“It’s a good feature.”

• monkeybreadman says:

Well in BC2 only you can hear the car horn (defeating the purpose entirely obv). So if you can hear the radio i will be very surprised

• apa says:

I thought it IS reskinned BC2 in the jungle with Jimi Hendrix and Beach Boys. Which is fine by me, but it should be cheap, something like 14,90 or 19,90 (in PSN, I play bc on ps3).

11. Nick says:

Maps are still way too small in conquest =(

12. The Innocent says:

I love that he gets all excited that the character models are wearing torn cloth shirts with mud on them. As though that’s really the selling point of the game. Because it’s realistic. To be muddy. And to have everyone look like the same four dudes cloned endlessly.

13. ScubaMonster says:

Is it just me or do these maps not have any Vietnam vibe to them at all. Are they going to have any real jungle maps, or is it all going to revolve around villages?

14. draknir says:

1) This guy sounds like a frigging idiot.

2) This game looks awful.

The battlefield series as a whole has been going downhill for some time now. BF2 was the last one I enjoyed.

• coldwave says:

You didn’t like 2142?

Why?

• Sir Derpicus says:

>podspin
      >voss broken as hell
      >titans bugging when near eachother
      >titan engine room completely saturated with mines and bullets
      >machine guns that get MORE accurate as you fire them
      >artillery spawn rape
      >walker spawn rape
      >normal spawn rape
      >etc
      I WONDER.

• Nick says:

2142 was pretty good, just had too many terrible maps. Artillery was much worse in BF2. MUCH. It also had no jets and the hover choppers were actually able to be shot down! Shocker.

It had some bad parts too.. and truely I just wish that its gameplay improvements (the way LMGs worked, the way you could get past mines, the fairly balanced aircraft, the diving to prone messing your accuracy.. few other small things here and there) would be combined with BF2 for the ultimate game.

But they won’t.

• Nick says:

The way machine guns got more accurate was great, it meant you generally had to use them defensively like you were supposed to. The turrets tracking and shooting at you through thin walls was a bastard though.

Titan mode was pretty awful in execution, needed better interior design for sure, but getting onto one, breaching it and blowing it up then rushing to escape before it blew up was epic. Sadly that only really happened in the beginning before everyone had the choke points locked down tight from the word go.

15. Kurt Lennon says:

Yay! Now we can pretend we’re fighting in yet another amoral war started and intentionally prolonged solely for financial profit.

“Threat of Communism”… Riiiight… LOL.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Go to Youtube and look up Eisenhower’s farewell address if you think this guy is a loon. His ravings have a point.

• AlexTaldren says:

This comment thread was amazingly nonpolitical until you came along and inserted your self-righteous interpretation of history. Only you could possibly be right about a time and conflict you had nothing to do with. Riiiiiight.

16. Corbeau says:

There is no way in hades that I’m buying this. Not after the lack of support (and mod tools) for an otherwise awesome game called Bad Company 2.

17. westyfield says:

Sorry to be Captain Pedantic (reporting for duty!), but:

“60 years back, 50 or 60 years back”

Uh, it ended 35 years ago (started 1955, but USA didn’t get involved until ’65). Even I know that, and I’m not making a game about it.

• Lilliput King says:

That isn’t pedantic. It’s one of the reasons that video is terrible. To have such a complete lack of engagement with the subject matter of your latest game is worrying, but to have such a lack of engagement with recent history that you place events incorrectly by over twenty years is terrifying.

Eric says:

Agree, and what I came here to post as well. That’s just completely pathetic.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Ditto. Hello? Reviewing a title and not even knowing when the events it depicts took place is pathetic. Someone explain to me, is this guy from the same Dice that is a career site for geeks? Why do they do video game reviews now?

18. Michael Edwards says:

haha, he accidentally mentions rain and then remembers they had to cut rain. Not very jungly if its not pouring and miserable.

19. JohnnyMaverik says:

Looks pretty meh…

20. kulak says:

Can anyone explain to me why they bother doing mindless lip-service to realism (the guns are rusty!), when the BF series is one of the least realistic games about war.

People don’t play GTA because it provides a realistic portrayal of a life in crime, and people shouldn’t be playing BF games because of their attention to detail and historical realism.

21. Frankle says:

He seems to be the only person really enthusiastic about a gun held together with String.
    is this the only NEW feature this game has?
    The way they talk about the frostbite engine I wouldn’t be suprised if that was held together by string.
    Customers: can we have mod tools in frostbite 2.0? (Or whatever it’s going to be called)
    Dice: we dont know yet
    Customers: How long do we have to wait till we get a confirmation on that?
    Dice: How long is a piece of string?

22. negativedge says:

Ahhh, how I remember the days of fighting the Vietcong in the 1940s.

23. Jobye says:

Hey, did I mention it’s dirty? Oh yeah, it’s dirty, rusty, there’s mud. You really feel the dirt and realism of war. The uniforms are muddy.

We get it. And he was talking about that as if it was a feature lol.

24. moltobenny says:

It seemed pretty cool? When he was shooting guys with that tank? And then got off the tank? And shot him with the gun? Which was rusty? Because it’s 60 years ago?

25. Megadeth89 says:

Please don’t support this console port crap or pc will die, support Pc only games like Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad, it even has a vietnam mod coming out for it. I own battlefield bad company 2 and I cant even play cause I cant join a server and when I do ping is crap, its a disgrace, is what it is.

• Delusibeta says:

Paranoid, much?

• Mattressi says:

I agree with Mega. BC2 was a horrible console port and BC2:Vietnam will be the same. No innovation, no quality, just semi-decent bland graphics and the same old CoDMW gameplay that all console shooters have nowadays.

Please stop supporting this. This is supposed to be a PC gaming site.

26. Juhkystar says:

Video links are down. =(

27. Barman1942 says:

So, no jet’s, no Huey’s, they cut rain out, tiny maps.

Pass.

28. Bruce Willis says:

what is this car radio music oh god now I will feel even more badass when I crash a car straight into a building crawling with enemies then C4 everything and calmly walk out like im goddamn bruce willis or something

29. BB says:

They certainly needed to take better care of BF:BC2 for me to even consider buying this re-skin.

30. MrBRAD! says:

I’d still rather be playing Project Reality: Vietnam (BF2 mod in early development) or even just normal BF:Vietnam.

31. rebb says:

No lifting ? Come on, it was half the fun of the original BF:V to drop boats on enemies or friendly tanks into the water by accident.

Bah.

32. Jabberslops says:

I am not sure I am interested in this game anymore. BFBC2 lags so horribly even when you have great ping or fps. DICE need to do a serious recode on the frostbite engine and replace the crappy Havok physics engine with something better. If any of you have played the Medal of Honor MP beta, you would realize within 5 minutes of playing that the lag in BFBC2 is entirely from the physics engine. MOH doesn’t have all the physics and destructible objects that BFBC2 has, so it run 40fps faster on my computer. I get 50-60fps in BFBC2 on Windows XP (25-35fps on Windows 7 with DX10 mode).

Why do people keep saying they want BF3 on the frostbite engine? It will have all the same problems it has now and you probably won’t be able to mod it because DICE can’t even support their own games properly. You make my head hurt.

33. VonFIDDE says:

Well i can agree its a simple re-skin of BFBC2, however i dont freaking care cuz i just love this theme :). Havent played much BC2 at all but tried it a little yesterday and they have done something cuz the game runs smooth as butter.

34. Crainey says:

Bring back the good old Battlefield series!

35. theblazeuk says:

“The real dirty realism of the war”

Classic.

36. bobbeh says:

looks like they reskinned BFBC then went on wikipedia and looked up weapons from the war and tossed them in.

now for only 49.99!

37. Rob Lang says:

Would rather play Battlefield Vietnam, the original. It had its problems and is long in the tooth but it was fun. If they took the squad aspects of BF2 and put it back into BFV then I’d be a very happy man.

The BFBC games feel more like UT2K4 than they do Battlefield.

38. hoppipolla says:

The only things those videos did was give me a nostalgia trip for the original BF:V.

39. Soundofvictory says:

To all the people who are basically saying: “I have played extensively or own BC2. I like BC2. I will not buy BC2:V, because of the broken state of BC2.”

If the first statement(“I have played BC2″) is false, you have no business making statements two or three.

I love the game. Even though it is now over six months old, I still play at least once every other week (usually more) and that is pretty rare for me. Now, I have been a tad disappointed by the lack of mod support, bugs, and the “map packs”. However, in the end those annoyances don’t really matter to me because despite all that, the game is still a lot of fun to play.

Now even if you disagree with all of what I have said so far, it is entirely possible that the real reasons DICE decided to make this map pack are:
    1) To further fund development/bugfixing/etc for ALL battlefield games (i.e. no money, no BF3)
    2) To further improve the buggy state of the stat-keeping
    3) So they can release a huge patch for BC2 with all the improvements that they have (hopefully) made to the engine during BC2:V development.
    4) Possibly so that they can rearrange the engine in a way that will make Onslaught easier to release on PC.

Are those reasons really so bad that they would stop you from buying an expansion to one of the best PC FPS games of the year?

40. MyKoKaine says:

Are you 12 yet?

41. Jerusalem says:

One thing ruined BC2 for me: the inability to go prone. “Shit, there’s like three snipers out there Too bad my big, fat, juicy skull is the only thing sticking up from behind this low cover.

wengart says:

Actually, I think the removal of prone was a great idea for BC2. Prone, too often, is used as a camping tool and on most BC2 maps cover is too plentiful for it to be of much use other than camping. However, and intermediate stance (between crouched and prone think Stalker low crouch) that would allow you to lower your body behind most cover would be helpful.

42. rocketman71 says:

Bah, a mod of a mod. What’s next?. Medal of Honor: Iraq?. A mod of a mod of a mod?.

Between this, LAN, the lack of dedi files and the PC BF1943 fuckup, DICE have lost any respect I ever had in them. And that’s from an old Pinball Fantasies fan.

43. Demtor says:

That guy killed any hope I had for the expansion, haha.

“Look, these guns are dirty and tied together with cloth!”

*ooooohhhh ahhhhhh*

Oh well, at least the original is still a blast.