EUIII: Divine Wind Arrives Dec 14th, Trailer

By Quintin Smith on November 29th, 2010 at 5:25 pm.

Creases! Creases!

Democracy in action, right here. Back in May Paradox Interactive asked their fans to vote on which Paradox game should get an expansion. Hearts of Iron 3? Victoria? NO, cried precisely 46% of the fans. EUROPA UNIVERSALIS III! And as if by magic, Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind will be arriving in a couple of weeks, adding an entirely new graphical style (look at the creases in the map above! o m g!) and a “wealth of new oriental provinces” to the 2007 enormo-strategy game. Divine Wind is EUIII’s fourth expansion, doncha know. I know all about EUIII. Look, here’s me gingerly trying the game before I got distracted by something shiny. Oh, do you want a trailer too? No problem.

, .

1. cowthief skank says:

A year since the last diary? About time for another, don’t you think?

Looking forward to the expansion, will give me an excuse to attempt world domination once more.

2. damien says:

can developers please come up with an opt-out system for “achievements”?

• Premium User Badge Fede says:

they said you can opt out of Paradox ones :)

• PlayOm says:

More to the point, these achievements are – aside from being a useful aid for directing gameplay (ie, setting goals) for newcomers to the series – largely there so us regulars on the P’dox forums can bling up our profiles. Its all about the bling

• iniudan says:

True bling is a must on paradox forum, don’t want to count how many people just buy every damn paradox dev or published game and each version of them just to get the damn forum icon for it. =p

3. Premium User Badge Schaulustiger says:

Meh, doesn’t look like a must-buy if I’m only playing in Western Europe and the colonies.

• Oak says:

Their expansions tweak gameplay across the board, regardless of whatever the focus is. Heir to the Throne’s big thing was fleshing out royal marriage and inheritance, but it also added trade leagues and made combat work a little differently.

• Ken McKenzie says:

If you’re in Western Europe, you want this for some of the fun changes to the HRE.

Demand they roll back reforms as part of a peace deal?

Yes, yes you can.

• Jae Armstrong says:

There is a decided lack of big-ticket new content. And I’m still pissed that the “ROTW focus” boiled down to China and Japan. Two countries that spent the four hundred years in question very carefully not interacting with anybody. And remember that domestic management is EU’s weakest area; the expanded building options and faction system go nowhere near far enough in that regard.

Still, it’s probably worth getting just for the revamped map and the interface improvements.

Next time though, say it with me: INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA INDIA.

The Middle East and North Africa can come too.

• cowthief skank says:

@Jae

I almost always play India, usually Vijayanagar (however it is spelt), so yes, I will say: India please!

But I really cannot see they will do another expansion after this unfortunately…

4. MrThingy says:

Ooh, looks lovely!

I always missed the way the map looked from EU2 (the EU3 one always looked awfully blocky), but it seems the increase in map resolution is looking much better.

FOR BYZANTIUM! (cue ranting and waving of purply banner thingies and aimless chucking of greek fire)

5. Oak says:

Superficial stuff, but the Victoria 2 map looks too clean, bright, and exact for EU.

6. Jason Lefkowitz says:

It’s good to see Paradox giving some attention to the atrociously ugly map, which has always been the worst thing about EU3. But even the improvements as shown in the trailer don’t make it look as nice as the must-have Theatrum Orbis Terrarum mod does, which is kind of amazing considering that TOT was first released almost four years ago.

Why Paradox didn’t just hire Pishtaco (the modder behind TOT) and let him clean up EU3′s fugly map is beyond me…

7. Javier-de-Ass says:

ohohoho. can’t wait

8. thebigJ_A says:

Oh no!

I don’t have time for this! Now I’m gonna start playing EU again, to the detriment of all else. I hate/love you, Paradox!

Also: “Buddhists are not a renewable resource. The Temple faction allows the declaration of war to acquire more Buddhists.”

That is an awesome pair of sentences!

• cowthief skank says:

If only Buddhists were a renewable resource. Ahh, imagine…

9. drewski says:

Awesome. I was going to buy EUIII when they got around to releasing a decently priced “complete” edition, and now I get to put off giving them any money for as long as it takes them to include this expansion in a complete edition! That could be YEARS! In which time I won’t lose my life to a game I’m guaranteed to be obsessed by!

Thanks, Paradox!

10. Random Stranger #46 says:

I’m still regretting HOI3 too much to think about any other Paradox title.

11. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I’m super excited but I’m going to try and resist ordering it right away. Paradox titles are usually shaky at launch, but does that apply to EU3 expansions? I picked up Complete then HTTT a while after it was first launched so I don’t have any first-hand experience.

Currently rocking a game as the Hansa though.

• Jae Armstrong says:

Paradox games tend to be unstable at release. Expansions however, expansions are like rocks. And EU3 in particular is all but uncrashable at this point- mostly because it has so many expansions.

There will be a few bugs that need ironing out in the new stuff, but DW will not break stuff already there.

12. Radiant says:

heheheh “Divine Wind”

13. utharda says:

Greetings from sweden’s cast colonial empire.

I’d probably buy euiii underoo’s if they came out.

14. Nimic says:

I voted yes on the “want another expansion” poll.

I will buy this.

Woe to my schedule.

15. Fred Wester, CEO of Paradox says:

I don’t see what all the fuss is about, really…

16. fabamatic says:

If given the chance to vote again I would pick Victoria 2. Hear that Fred?

17. cowthief skank says:

In case anybody was unsure whether to pre-order, and this makes a difference, the pre-order comes with a 250 blue coin bonus (on top of the standard 5%).